Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone Rips GNR For Boring & Never-Ending Tour
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone Rips GNR For Boring & Never-Ending Tour  (Read 42446 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2020, 03:34:39 PM »

It's time for new music, can't keep playing same 30 songs over the last 4 years.

Well they have changed the setlist a bit since 2016. The hits have been in the set since they reunited, but other than that they have added and changed the deep cuts and covers.

I don't know who expects them to just stop playing most of the set because they have new music out. I don't think the core of the set will change unless they make a decision not to play any of the most popular songs for some reason.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »

I agree with Jarmo. If they did that it would be commercial suicide. The casual fanbase would dry up and they would go from stadiums to playing to a hundred folks in a bar. Think about it, in a stadium of 50,000, what percentage is hard core fanbase? 5%? 10%? I doubt it is higher than 10-15% but of course that is debatable and I'm sure that will set off a string of replies. But the point is, GNR is who they are and that is based on what they are known for: AFD and UYI. The casual fan could not care less about new music.

In fact, here's a humorous little anecdote for you. I was at the 2012 Vegas show when they filmed the DVD. Was on the floor, a little over half way back. I was talking to a couple who just happened to be in Vegas when they heard GNR was playing. So the show starts. Three songs in, the guy nudges me and mouths "where is Slash?" and because the music was loud, I just shrugged. No way to explain the backstory. So they left after 3 songs, as soon as Better began.

So there you have it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:45:08 PM by russkwtx » Logged

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »

Setlist from the one off show in Miami:

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, Slither, Better, Estranged, Live And Let Die, You’re Crazy (slow version), Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Shadow Of Your Love, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory/Attitude, Civil War, Dead Horse, Double Talkin’ Jive, Band Intros, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain, Break to fix the in ear monitors, Only Women Bleed (instrumental)/Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Encore: Jam/Patience, The Seeker, Paradise City

23 or so songs.

Now let's remove all the "deep cuts" that aren't on AFD or Greatest Hits:

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Welcome To The Jungle, Live And Let Die, Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Civil War, Slash Solo/Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain, Only Women Bleed (instrumental)/Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Encore: Jam/Patience, Paradise City

That's basically a show in itself already! Now it's tougher to remove songs since most of these are pretty known by the masses who buy tickets.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2020, 04:55:54 PM »

So....What the fuck are we debating here exactly?  The merits of GNR releasing/playing new music on this tour? This is a GNR fan forum.  There should be only 1 firm answer to that in here.  Anything else and you're selling something.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:59:34 PM by sofine11 » Logged
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2020, 05:20:31 PM »

Good points Jarmo, but I think if they play 3or 4 new songs, it won't effect the setlist dramatically. I just feel that new music will increase ticket sales instead of playing the same songs for the last 4 years. I did see a commercial for the tour, they mentioned a new chapter, it's gotta be new music.

Rizzo160
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2020, 05:26:15 PM »

Keep the classics, mix up the set list like how they did during the illusion days, release an EP or an album and play 3-4 songs at the shows. It’s not hard really is it?

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
Mrbreeze
Opening Act

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2020, 05:42:09 PM »

Rolling Stone has had ZERO credibility ever since it gave Zeppelin negative reviews

LOL, not liking a band that you like has what exactly to do with credibility? Are you aware of what that word means?
They also put the Boston Bomber on a cover a guy who killed children. That screams zero credibility
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2020, 05:59:33 PM »

I agree with Jarmo. If they did that it would be commercial suicide. The casual fanbase would dry up and they would go from stadiums to playing to a hundred folks in a bar. Think about it, in a stadium of 50,000, what percentage is hard core fanbase? 5%? 10%? I doubt it is higher than 10-15% but of course that is debatable and I'm sure that will set off a string of replies. But the point is, GNR is who they are and that is based on what they are known for: AFD and UYI. The casual fan could not care less about new music.

In fact, here's a humorous little anecdote for you. I was at the 2012 Vegas show when they filmed the DVD. Was on the floor, a little over half way back. I was talking to a couple who just happened to be in Vegas when they heard GNR was playing. So the show starts. Three songs in, the guy nudges me and mouths "where is Slash?" and because the music was loud, I just shrugged. No way to explain the backstory. So they left after 3 songs, as soon as Better began.

So there you have it.

Heck, I remember those shows - even after CD was released - when they'd play a non-classic song, and a ton of people left to use the bathroom or to get another beer. That was back in the days when they'd play arenas but the floor seats would be removed and it was standing room only. There's a reason the Rolling Stones play "Satisfaction" at every show even though Mick hates it.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2020, 06:12:22 PM »

Good points Jarmo, but I think if they play 3or 4 new songs, it won't effect the setlist dramatically. I just feel that new music will increase ticket sales instead of playing the same songs for the last 4 years. I did see a commercial for the tour, they mentioned a new chapter, it's gotta be new music.

True.

I wasn't saying they won't change anything. Just pointing out that a majority of the setlist between 2016 and last month has been the kind of songs thousands of people want to hear at every arena/stadium show.

Many of them don't care if there's a Locomotive, Dead Horse, There Was A Time, Prostitute or a new song in the set. The rest of us, that's another matter. Cheesy

/jarmo

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2020, 06:20:06 PM »

True.

I wasn't saying they won't change anything. Just pointing out that a majority of the setlist between 2016 and last month has been the kind of songs thousands of people want to hear at every arena/stadium show.

Many of them don't care if there's a Locomotive, Dead Horse, There Was A Time, Prostitute or a new song in the set. The rest of us, that's another matter. Cheesy

/jarmo

Yeah, I don’t think anyone is saying to not play their hits.  We’re just saying something new (3-5) songs, along with a new album should really help things this go around.

Or fuck it, if the album is really good....play more.  Get people to transition from old stuff, to new stuff.  Get them interested in new material and help your legacy.  Still plenty of time in a show to play your major hits.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:25:21 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2020, 07:15:47 PM »

It's about optics.

A few honest to god new songs beat back the impression this isn't just the same tour some of us have seen 2, maybe 3 times.

It makes it seem like this is a current band.  And not just dudes cranking out the same tunes from when a lot of us were in high school.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »

Hard to say, I do wonder how tickets are selling.  At this rate, with no creative album endeavors infusing things, we could be on our way to the 2022 Vegas Residency "Appetite For Chinese Illusions....Live!!".

I agree, it's hard to say...but only in the sense that we don't know what their expectations were.

I checked Philly and Metlife.  There look to be PLENTY of tickets available for sale, across all the price ranges. With good sized groupings together (4 or 5 isn't hard to find).

They are selling tickets, for sure.  They are not selling tickets at the rate they did in 2016 in most of these stadiums.

You all can infer and argue what that actually means.

Edit: I looked a little closer at all the shows.

It looks like Nats Park, Fenway, and Wrigley, are sell outs.  Their capacities are 30 to 40k (as opposed to the 60k-ish you see in the bigger football stadiums).

Bobby Dodd at 55k looks to be a sell out. So does Grizzly Stadium at 25k.

The rest of the big stadiums all look to have plenty of tickets available in a variety of price ranges (not resale) in a variety of sections.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:42:43 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »

It's about optics.

A few honest to god new songs beat back the impression this isn't just the same tour some of us have seen 2, maybe 3 times.

It makes it seem like this is a current band.  And not just dudes cranking out the same tunes from when a lot of us were in high school.

Here's where we agree:

If GnR released a new single tomorrow, that turned into a heavy rotation (whatever the equivalent of that is, today) "hit" AND some promise of a new collection of music for the near future (an album, an EP, regular single releases, whatever the label thinks is going to make them the most money).....they would likely sell out (or very close to it) every show they have scheduled in the U.S., and quickly.

I suspect though, going into the summer, they're eventually going to get very close to that mark, in terms of ticket sales, anyway.  Maybe not as quickly.  But I think they get there.

We'll see.

Together again,
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »

Hard to say, I do wonder how tickets are selling.  At this rate, with no creative album endeavors infusing things, we could be on our way to the 2022 Vegas Residency "Appetite For Chinese Illusions....Live!!".

I agree, it's hard to say...but only in the sense that we don't know what their expectations were.

I checked Philly and Metlife.  There look to be PLENTY of tickets available for sale, across all the price ranges. With good sized groupings together (4 or 5 isn't hard to find).

They are selling tickets, for sure.  They are not selling tickets at the rate they did in 2016 in most of these stadiums.

You all can infer and argue what that actually means.

Edit: I looked a little closer at all the shows.

It looks like Nats Park, Fenway, and Wrigley, are sell outs.  Their capacities are 30 to 40k (as opposed to the 60k-ish you see in the bigger football stadiums).

Bobby Dodd at 55k looks to be a sell out. So does Grizzly Stadium at 25k.

The rest of the big stadiums all look to have plenty of tickets available in a variety of price ranges (not resale) in a variety of sections.

Philly can be a tough city for gnr since wmmr soured it’s audience against them.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2020, 09:27:28 PM »

Rolling Stone has had ZERO credibility ever since it gave Zeppelin negative reviews

LOL, not liking a band that you like has what exactly to do with credibility? Are you aware of what that word means?

As someone who was in the news business for almost twenty years (no longer in the business) and worked at metropolitan papers made one TV station, I can say without a doubt you’re last two posts are well-informed and correct. RS is a top notch journalistic magazine. Do they cover some silly shit? Yeah sure they do but they’ve always had great political and investigative reporters/writers.

All news agencies make mistakes and the good ones (most not associated with Fox News and general dipshit bloggers) acknowledge their mistakes and run corrections.

No real reporter sets out to intentionally write an erroneous story. That said, some people can discern the difference between the editorial/opinion side and the news side.

Employing Matt Taibbi alone gives them my respect.

It's pretty clear that all of this hyperbolic hatred coming at them is purely politically motivated and not genuine good faith criticism. As they proved with their responses...

No point in arguing with him.  He attacks anyone who has a different opinion.  Kinda reminds me of someone he actually despises...

He’s a cyber bully.  

Watch, he’ll come after me now. 

Classic bullying tactic; call the other person a bully to gaslight them.

You can't respond on the facts so you resort to personal insults by calling me a bully (without anything to back it up).

Where is your logical rebuttal, if you're no troll or bully? Because without a logical argument, your comment is nothing but a personal attack. You know, the thing that bullies do. Who do you think you're fooling?

They also put the Boston Bomber on a cover a guy who killed children. That screams zero credibility

... and? Again, I am forced to ask if you know what the word "credibility" means. You could argue it's lacking in tact, maybe, if you didn't even read the freaking article it was attached to... enough of this fake virtue signaling BS. You don't like what you perceive to be their politics, just be honest about it.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2020, 03:13:23 AM »

It's nothing wrong in not releasing anything new, like for example Billy Joel, it's fine. If they keep coming back I'll go next time. Nothing wrong with entertainment and enjoying live music. beer

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2020, 05:20:16 AM »

True.

/jarmo

Correct, but those song weren't played even back in the days.. I mean, those are hardcorde fan songs, obviously. But IF the new songs of a NEW, TRUE Gnr Album (chinese democracy wasn't perceived as a gnr album) are good or even great they can stay in a new fresh setlist. It depends on the quality of the songs and the reaction of the mainstream public. Un can get rid of all the useless covers. Khod has become a torture nowadays, really  confused.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2020, 06:13:37 AM »

But IF the new songs of a NEW, TRUE Gnr Album (chinese democracy wasn't perceived as a gnr album) are good or even great they can stay in a new fresh setlist. It depends on the quality of the songs and the reaction of the mainstream public.

I'm not sure the public reaction matters that much on which new songs they would play. I suspect it's more about the the band feels like playing.

This reminds me. November Rain was an unknown new song when I saw GN'R in 1991. I'm sure some in the audience would have preferred to hear something from AFD instead.  hihi

/jarmo

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2020, 06:39:54 AM »

Philly can be a tough city for gnr since wmmr soured it’s audience against them.

Fair.  But NYC (OK, it's Jersey, but still) has, historically, been huge for them.  They ended up adding a show at Metlife the first time.  They've done well there throughout the bands history.

They're selling tickets.  They just seem to be selling them slower than they did last stadium go round.

That's my contribution.  I'm not going to debate the hows and whys.  Just pointing out what actually seems to be happening.

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2020, 06:57:04 AM »

It's about optics.

It makes it seem like this is a current band.  And not just dudes cranking out the same tunes from when a lot of us were in high school.

They had a new song on the set list last year.

It wasn't played though.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: