Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone Rips GNR For Boring & Never-Ending Tour
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone Rips GNR For Boring & Never-Ending Tour  (Read 41805 times)
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2020, 04:05:06 PM »

I am definitely feeling more positive about new music after seeing Jarmo’s comments above, or at least cautiously optimistic. But, even if we are to assume that new music is coming, it seems a wasted opportunity for GnR not to announce an album around the same time as the tour. From a business perspective this has to make most sense?

And this why I can’t get beyond being anything other than very cautiously optimistic about a new record.

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2020, 04:18:40 PM »

I'm rather sure Rolling Stone is the same rag that had a "100 Top Guitarists" list that had Jack White higher on the list than Slash and Eddie Van Halen, among others. That was the day I cancelled my subscription.  Roll Eyes

Yeah I’m not seeing that.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/RollingStone100GreatestGuitaristsOfAllTime

Is this a ranking or just a list? Because putting Alex Lifeson in the 90s.... his solos on their first album that he wrote as a teenager already blows some of these guys out of the water.

My guess is that it’s a ranking since it’s not in alphabetical order. I mean it’s all subjective. I guess my point is someone said something that didn’t appear right so I looked it up.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:20:25 PM by NaturalLight » Logged
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »

Magazines (and websites) love to do "Top" rankings because they cause controversy and get people talking about the publication.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »

I'm rather sure Rolling Stone is the same rag that had a "100 Top Guitarists" list that had Jack White higher on the list than Slash and Eddie Van Halen, among others. That was the day I cancelled my subscription.  Roll Eyes

And as NaturalLight proved, that is not true. But even if it were... so what? It's all subjective, and how are you defining "top"? Does that mean technical proficiency or melodic groove or influence on the music scene? Or any number of other things?

Is this a ranking or just a list? Because putting Alex Lifeson in the 90s.... his solos on their first album that he wrote as a teenager already blows some of these guys out of the water.

It is indeed a ranking, one voted on by a large group of themselves well respected musicians (Ironically, I bet a lot of people complained that Ritchie Blackmore was left out, not knowing he was one of the voters!). Check it out:

THE VOTERS: Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Edit: Just saw Alex Lifeson was one of the voters. I think that probably explains it; they were all afraid to vote for anyone who was part of the voting group. Despite that, they seemed to feel a need to include Lifeson precisely because he's so influential.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:13:00 PM by PermissionToLand » Logged

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2020, 05:28:52 PM »

I'm not sure what magic wand is going to wave in between tour legs this year to suddenly change things up, but I sure hope it does. I really want to be optimistic for new music, but once bitten and all that...

I think the fact that there's not a lot of time between the Latin American tour and the start of the European leg, could mean that the production used on the European leg could be different from Latin America.

That could mean a different show in Europe and North America compared to Latin America.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2020, 08:00:16 PM »

- Why did they announce tours using the term the next chapter as well deciding not to use the NITL name?

OK, fair enough.

Are you willing to circle back at year's end and see how it went?  And, if not, would it lead you to say that the point you made had no merit, ultimately, because it didn't happen?

Is that some unfair ask?

Right now, you are playing on the unknown.  Which is fine.  You are capitalizing on what might be.  But once that time comes and goes, you either have results that back up your suggestion...or you don't.  It can't be both. 

There is no "Well, we don't know what happened.  Can't say either way."  There is, "Well, I guess I was wrong.  That thing I was heavily suggesting before the tour did not pan out."

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:51 PM »

Maybe it means a different show, a different set list.... And new music!

Guess I have my answer to the above post.  No consequences to what is put out there.

Lame.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2020, 08:17:56 PM »

Philly can be a tough city for gnr since wmmr soured it’s audience against them.

Fair.  But NYC (OK, it's Jersey, but still) has, historically, been huge for them.  They ended up adding a show at Metlife the first time.  They've done well there throughout the bands history.

They're selling tickets.  They just seem to be selling them slower than they did last stadium go round.

That's my contribution.  I'm not going to debate the hows and whys.  Just pointing out what actually seems to be happening.

I think a big part of the issue as  to why the tickets are not selling as fast as the 2016 concert at MetLife might be due to a big  year in concerts. I'm not sure about where you grew up or lived, but I've lived in North Jersey my entire life. I don't ever remember a year where there are a plethora of mainstream bands playing. Motley Crue/Def Leppard/Poison/Joan Jett is playing at Citi Field this summer. You have Bon Jovi playing at MSG, which I'm also going to. Godsmack/Halestorm playing at Prudential in April, which is another concert I'm going to.  Pearl Jam is playing MSG in March. Rage Against the Machine at MSG in August.  Rammstein at MetLife in September.  Whitesnake/Sammy Hagar at PNC in August.  Alanis Morrisette and Garbage also at PNC. Billy Joel.

I think the market is just over saturated this year compared to last year. I really don't think concert promoters realized how many artists they booked this year.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »

I think a big part of the issue as  to why the tickets are not selling as fast as the 2016 concert at MetLife might be due to a big  year in concerts. I'm not sure about where you grew up or lived, but I've lived in North Jersey my entire life. I don't ever remember a year where there are a plethora of mainstream bands playing. Motley Crue/Def Leppard/Poison/Joan Jett is playing at Citi Field this summer. You have Bon Jovi playing at MSG, which I'm also going to. Godsmack/Halestorm playing at Prudential in April, which is another concert I'm going to.  Pearl Jam is playing MSG in March. Rage Against the Machine at MSG in August.  Rammstein at MetLife in September.  Whitesnake/Sammy Hagar at PNC in August.  Alanis Morrisette and Garbage also at PNC. Billy Joel.

I think the market is just over saturated this year compared to last year. I really don't think concert promoters realized how many artists they booked this year.

Spot on.

Only so many dollars to go around.  People prioritize.  They have to.

kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2020, 10:32:24 PM »

Spot on.

I kind of feel that whenever I’m concert buying all the big acts always seem to pick the same year to tour for me, but I could be remembering it wrong, I’d have to go through my ticket stubs.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2020, 04:04:31 AM »

I'm not sure what magic wand is going to wave in between tour legs this year to suddenly change things up, but I sure hope it does. I really want to be optimistic for new music, but once bitten and all that...

I think the fact that there's not a lot of time between the Latin American tour and the start of the European leg, could mean that the production used on the European leg could be different from Latin America.

That could mean a different show in Europe and North America compared to Latin America.

/jarmo

It does feel that way looking at the press releases
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2020, 06:37:17 AM »

- Why did they announce tours using the term the next chapter as well deciding not to use the NITL name?

OK, fair enough.

Are you willing to circle back at year's end and see how it went?  And, if not, would it lead you to say that the point you made had no merit, ultimately, because it didn't happen?

Is that some unfair ask?

Right now, you are playing on the unknown.  Which is fine.  You are capitalizing on what might be.  But once that time comes and goes, you either have results that back up your suggestion...or you don't.  It can't be both. 

There is no "Well, we don't know what happened.  Can't say either way."  There is, "Well, I guess I was wrong.  That thing I was heavily suggesting before the tour did not pan out."

I have no problems admitting to being wrong.

I still think there's plans for new music, and a different kind of show for 2020.

Because of what I posted earlier.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2020, 06:52:32 AM »

OK, fair enough.

Is that some unfair ask?

I still think there's plans for new music, and a different kind of show for 2020.

/jarmo

Can't say fairer than that really folks.

I'm totally on the fence about this one- I see the debate from both sides. Time alone will tell.......

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »

Agreed.  That's a fair answer.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2020, 09:36:29 AM »

OK, fair enough.

Are you willing to circle back at year's end and see how it went?  And, if not, would it lead you to say that the point you made had no merit, ultimately, because it didn't happen?

Is that some unfair ask?

Right now, you are playing on the unknown.  Which is fine.  You are capitalizing on what might be.  But once that time comes and goes, you either have results that back up your suggestion...or you don't.  It can't be both.  

There is no "Well, we don't know what happened.  Can't say either way."  There is, "Well, I guess I was wrong.  That thing I was heavily suggesting before the tour did not pan out."

/jarmo

This is a fair answer, well done Jarmo.
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »

Don't know about that list, but it definitely happened.   confused
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »

I am definitely feeling more positive about new music after seeing Jarmo’s comments above, or at least cautiously optimistic. But, even if we are to assume that new music is coming, it seems a wasted opportunity for GnR not to announce an album around the same time as the tour. From a business perspective this has to make most sense?

And this why I can’t get beyond being anything other than very cautiously optimistic about a new record.

Don't talk yourself off of this point.

guitarphix
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2020, 06:42:26 PM »

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.   smoking confused smoking confused
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2020, 08:10:07 PM »

Spot on.

I kind of feel that whenever I’m concert buying all the big acts always seem to pick the same year to tour for me, but I could be remembering it wrong, I’d have to go through my ticket stubs.

I don't ever remember a year like this where there are so many bands and music artists coming to the NJ/NYC area. Maybe the late 80s/early 90s. In the early 90s, my parents only allowed me to go see one concert, which was GNR.   One thing that I forgot to mention last night is that Ozzy is playing at MSG. Most likely, this is it for him. People might be spending money to get a last chance in seeing him.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2020, 09:16:14 PM »

So completely hypothetical question if GNR played ONE new song on this upcoming tour would that satisfy you personally to spend the money to see them? Just curious as to people's thoughts. Or would you want more then just 1 to deem it worthy?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: