Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone Rips GNR For Boring & Never-Ending Tour
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone Rips GNR For Boring & Never-Ending Tour  (Read 41800 times)
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:26 PM »

I would hope they would play at least 3 new songs.

Rizzo160
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2020, 10:30:14 PM »

Don't know about that list, but it definitely happened.   confused

Then prove it. Where is your evidence? The burden of proof is on you and we've done all the legwork here...

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2020, 10:31:37 PM »

1 new song would be enough for me but only because I didn't see them on NITL. If I had, I would want at least 2-3 new songs.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2020, 01:46:23 AM »

I am definitely feeling more positive about new music after seeing Jarmo’s comments above, or at least cautiously optimistic. But, even if we are to assume that new music is coming, it seems a wasted opportunity for GnR not to announce an album around the same time as the tour. From a business perspective this has to make most sense?

And this why I can’t get beyond being anything other than very cautiously optimistic about a new record.

Don't talk yourself off of this point.

Absolutely, and that’s what continues to temper whatever slight optimism that I have.

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2020, 04:13:25 AM »

So completely hypothetical question if GNR played ONE new song on this upcoming tour would that satisfy you personally to spend the money to see them? Just curious as to people's thoughts. Or would you want more then just 1 to deem it worthy?

See a lot of conflating new music with the tour itself

Not about that for me

100% would take a new album over seeing them tour for another year.

If there is not a new album - going to spend $ on the show really is not impacted by the desire to hear one or two new songs played live.

I will go and see them for the 3rd time since Slash and Duff came back. No problem.
Am I happy that they have not released a new album at this point? - nope
Does that fact change me wanting to see my favorite band? - nope

But what also does not change is that when I first heard about Slash and Duff coming back, I wanted the next Gnr album that I never got after the Illusions. I expected a huge tour and then an album I can take with me for the rest of my life's soundtrack. I did not expect them take a break, and go out and do stadiums again..lol
But there seems to be many folks here who believe they have something ready but are being held back by outside forces & I hope they are right.

Is what it is - sorry longwinded
Hope answered the question you were asking   peace

Btw - as for the setllist - For God's sake - they play 3 hours and cover a ridiculous number of songs -and both times I've seen them they've been tremendous shows - but changing up the first 6 or 7 songs would be my only hope
Hustlers Revenge
Opening Act

« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2020, 02:52:40 PM »

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.   smoking confused smoking confused

like people who go on a message board every day of their lives for 5 or 10 years to complain about a band not releasing new music?
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2020, 09:01:34 PM »

Some people like to watch the world burn

Rizzo160
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2020, 03:36:55 AM »

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.   smoking confused smoking confused

like people who go on a message board every day of their lives for 5 or 10 years to complain about a band not releasing new music?

hihi

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2020, 06:50:41 AM »

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.   smoking confused smoking confused

OMFG, PERFECT!   hihi rofl

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:58:56 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2020, 08:03:15 AM »

So completely hypothetical question if GNR played ONE new song on this upcoming tour would that satisfy you personally to spend the money to see them? Just curious as to people's thoughts. Or would you want more then just 1 to deem it worthy?

Personally, I would like a bunch of new songs. But I'm sure the general audience don't. I love CD,  but whenever a CD song was played in my last 6 shows, it seems as though I was the only person, apart from the band, who actually knew the songs...
On the other hand, I would go every week and listen to the same show over and over again... that is how good a GnR concert is! peace 
Trash Panda
Headliner

« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »

Listen, old legacy rock acts just have no idea how to release new music. It is virtually impossible. It CAN'T be done!!

Meanwhile, from Stereogum: Pearl Jam first teased their upcoming album Gigaton via a worldwide augmented reality scavenger hunt. And they are once again proving that they are young and hip and know what augmented reality is by teasing their new single using the same technology.

Pitchfork report that Pearl Jam’s new song “Superblood Wolfmoon,” the follow-up to Gigaton’s lead single “Dance Of The Clairvoyants,” won’t hit streaming services until 2/18. But if you go to moon.pearljam.com on your mobile phone and point it at the moon (or maybe a bright light?), you can hear a preview.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »

Here's a another thought that this article somehow managed not to think of....

The tour was called Not In This Lifetime. It basically had five North American legs (April 2016, summer stadium leg 2016, summer stadium leg 2017, arena leg late 2017, arena leg late 2019).

So now the upcoming tour will visit some of the same cities that were visited in 2016 and/or 2017. On the NITL tour the return visits were in arenas (LA, NYC, Chicago etc).

My point is, if you tour on a reunion tour for the first time since 1993, some will go because of that reason alone. Now you can't make all those people to go again in 2020 using the same reason.

Add to that the fact that nowhere has the promoter or band used the Not In This Lifetime name for these upcoming shows.

I'm only assuming like the rest here, but I assume Live Nation and the band know they won't be able to use the same "this is the reunion tour that you never saw coming" selling point forever. Yet this article, and many others are assuming they are doing just that.... Only because the band didn't say otherwise.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2020, 11:54:13 AM »

Here's a another thought that this article somehow managed not to think of....

The tour was called Not In This Lifetime. It basically had five North American legs (April 2016, summer stadium leg 2016, summer stadium leg 2017, arena leg late 2017, arena leg late 2019).

So now the upcoming tour will visit some of the same cities that were visited in 2016 and/or 2017. On the NITL tour the return visits were in arenas (LA, NYC, Chicago etc).

My point is, if you tour on a reunion tour for the first time since 1993, some will go because of that reason alone. Now you can't make all those people to go again in 2020 using the same reason.

Add to that the fact that nowhere has the promoter or band used the Not In This Lifetime name for these upcoming shows.

I'm only assuming like the rest here, but I assume Live Nation and the band know they won't be able to use the same "this is the reunion tour that you never saw coming" selling point forever. Yet this article, and many others are assuming they are doing just that.... Only because the band didn't say otherwise.

/jarmo

But if they are touring to promote new music, don't you think it would be wise to, you know, set the record straight and simply say that's the case?  If they did that, articles like this would not even exist.  We keep saying that Europe it being touted as "The Next Chapter" but that's wildly ambiguous, and hardly makes new music an obvious given.

Even if new music somehow materializes, we really won't have much for anyone to circle back and say "See, it was so obvious!".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:00:09 PM by sofine11 » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2020, 12:18:10 PM »

Makes little sense to say it's promoting new music unless you also announce when the new music is coming.

Especially in February, when the tours are in the summer.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »

Makes little sense to say it's promoting new music unless you also announce when the new music is coming.

Especially in February, when the tours are in the summer.

/jarmo

I would say it's a bit more common for album and tour announcements to go hand in hand, if not, tour announcement most often come AFTER the album or at least a single drops.  So you can't entirely blame them for making the assumption that this tour will be more of the same.  And, of course, if no album comes during the tour they will have been right. 

Obviously, I'm rooting for the album, but I can't say they're wrong until we know for sure.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2020, 12:25:20 PM »

But if they are touring to promote new music, don't you think it would be wise to, you know, set the record straight and simply say that's the case?  If they did that, articles like this would not even exist.  We keep saying that Europe it being touted as "The Next Chapter" but that's wildly ambiguous, and hardly makes new music an obvious given.

Even if new music somehow materializes, we really won't have much for anyone to circle back and say "See, it was so obvious!".

The goal is to sell as many tickets as possible BEFORE the show dates in July (for the US leg, anyway).

How many they sell in February isn't really all that important. Nor are the articles at this point.  They just don't really matter.  Because the minute new music was released or announced...it would be completely irrelevant.

So if you assume they are going to announce or release music before the shows.....as long as you're giving ticket buyers enough advance notice of that (and I'd say 30 to 45 days would be considered "enough"), you're fine.  That means...by early to mid April for the Euro tour, and mid to late May for the US leg.

And yes, I know the argument is going to be: But people will make plans for the summer, and some people won't go.

I don't think that effects their overall attendence.  I really don't.  There are enough people that will jump at tickets if they announce new music that the competitive considerations will be a non-factor.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:26:55 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »

I would say it's a bit more common for album and tour announcements to go hand in hand, if not, tour announcement most often come AFTER the album or at least a single drops.  So you can't entirely blame them for making the assumption that this tour will be more of the same.  And, of course, if no album comes during the tour they will have been right. 

Obviously, I'm rooting for the album, but I can't say they're wrong until we know for sure.

I can point out their lack of logic. I don't think anything you posted invalidated what I posted. Your response was just: But why didn't they say there's new music. Doesn't change anything I said though.....

Maybe they had to announce the shows already because it was the most optimal time to do so?

I've seen the other alternative when shows are announced too close to the show dates, and then it's a "but we didn't get any advance warning" kind of thing.

/jarmo

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2020, 12:43:18 PM »

I can point out their lack of logic. I don't think anything you posted invalidated what I posted. Your response was just: But why didn't they say there's new music. Doesn't change anything I said though.....

Maybe they had to announce the shows already because it was the most optimal time to do so?

I've seen the other alternative when shows are announced too close to the show dates, and then it's a "but we didn't get any advance warning" kind of thing.

/jarmo

Jarmo, we both love GNR and would both flip out if a new album dropped. We want the same thing here.  You're simply giving them the benefit of the doubt, while I'm a bit more apprehensive due to not wanting to get my hopes up after 12 years post Chi Dem rooting for new music.  That's really all this is.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »

/jarmo

To add: Ticketmaster has some say as to when tickets go on sale for a tour like this.  They know stuff like this can overwhelm their infrastructure, and so they scatter on sale dates to offset load.

Add that to the fact TM has to be able to distribute tickets in a traditional, as well as digital, way.  

So the on sale date is not 100%  in the band (or the promoters) hands.  

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2020, 01:17:30 PM »

Jarmo, we both love GNR and would both flip out if a new album dropped. We want the same thing here.  You're simply giving them the benefit of the doubt, while I'm a bit more apprehensive due to not wanting to get my hopes up after 12 years post Chi Dem rooting for new music.  That's really all this is.

Sure.

I've said it elsewhere multiple times, we have different points of view.

Some mistake that for some kind of fear of saying the wrong things, when in reality I say what I think.... I just happen to think differently.

To add: Ticketmaster has some say as to when tickets go on sale for a tour like this.  They know stuff like this can overwhelm their infrastructure, and so they scatter on sale dates to offset load.

Add that to the fact TM has to be able to distribute tickets in a traditional, as well as digital, way. 

So the on sale date is not 100%  in the band (or the promoters) hands. 

To compare, the first summer leg of the NITL tour wasn't announced until the day of the first surprise show in April 2016. The summer 2017 dates were announced in December 2016....

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: