Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:59:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227669 Posts in 43239 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Covid-19 (not gnr related)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 (not gnr related)  (Read 150303 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #420 on: July 19, 2020, 12:07:21 AM »

We had some official research in the UK that said 80 per cent of people get no symptoms, locally here in Scotland the hospitals are saying the strains here appear to have weakened, although that is not an official footing, and also 10% of people are dying in hospital as opposed to over 50% in the beginning due to varying factors, including better meds. The challenge now is to contain what we have, and not allow new strains from abroad.

Just what I've been told anyway

Even 10% is a lot of death.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #421 on: July 19, 2020, 05:25:43 AM »

We had some official research in the UK that said 80 per cent of people get no symptoms, locally here in Scotland the hospitals are saying the strains here appear to have weakened, although that is not an official footing, and also 10% of people are dying in hospital as opposed to over 50% in the beginning due to varying factors, including better meds. The challenge now is to contain what we have, and not allow new strains from abroad.

It's best guess from the professionals involved at this point.

It is. I just hope it doesn't spike again at Xmas, because I go travelling about visiting relatives. I didn't have any holidays planned this year, so that's good. We were planning to go to Tokyo for the olympics, but we decided against it at the last minute which looks a good decision now.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #422 on: July 19, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »

It is. I just hope it doesn't spike again at Xmas, because I go travelling about visiting relatives. I didn't have any holidays planned this year, so that's good. We were planning to go to Tokyo for the olympics, but we decided against it at the last minute which looks a good decision now.

I try to look at everything from the upside.  I think we all benefited from the separation from each other.  Grin  People were getting pretty nasty with each other over social media.  Not to say that's not still happening but it seems to have swinged to a more "lets get along thing" with most folks.  Employers are finding out work from home does work.  An option a lot of people wanted.  Ordering online and picking up at the store has freed up time for people.  With time freed up people have become more creative and dreamy about what they could be doing.  Money that had to be spent around work activities can be redirected towards other needs and wants.  The world has a common cause and we've moved a tad closer to each other.

Not to say some folks aren't truly fucked with the whole situation but there are good things happening too.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:29:10 PM by cineater » Logged

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #423 on: July 20, 2020, 08:19:18 AM »

I try to look at everything from the upside.  I think we all benefited from the separation from each other.  Grin  People were getting pretty nasty with each other over social media.  Not to say that's not still happening but it seems to have swinged to a more "lets get along thing" with most folks.  Employers are finding out work from home does work.  An option a lot of people wanted.  Ordering online and picking up at the store has freed up time for people.  With time freed up people have become more creative and dreamy about what they could be doing.  Money that had to be spent around work activities can be redirected towards other needs and wants.  The world has a common cause and we've moved a tad closer to each other.

Not to say some folks aren't truly fucked with the whole situation but there are good things happening too.

Obviously you aren't paying close enough attention to the mask debates. I mean my lord. We've somehow made scientific facts political in this country. What is the matter with us lol. Look at the states that actually followed the CDC guidelines, have strict mask and social distancing guidelines. Look at western Europe. They have all flattened their curves and are doing reasonably well keeping it down. I just don't get the anti mask thing. Why wouldn't everyone want to do everything possible to keep each other safe. It seems like a no brainer to me.

If there is anything good to come out of all this i think the things you mentioned are it. I think covid-19 accelerated a lot of this, work from home, tele medicine, telelearning etc. My real hope is that it will give us all a good shove to really start tackling climate change.  Just like i hope the protesting leads to meaningful change in our criminal justice system and socioeconomic inequalities in our communities. We are supposed to be the greatest country on earth. We should really start acting as such.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #424 on: July 20, 2020, 11:05:16 AM »

I'm ignoring the mask debate.  I've got 32 people wanting to know why they have to wear a mask outside on 5 acres of land when they are working in the hot sun and can't even see another person!  The obvious answer to that is if nobody sees you, nobody knows but I can't say that, position of authority here.  If you think you are about to pass out, take a break.  The rule says if you're on campus you must wear a mask at all times.  We're not talking about it.  hihi

I have GNR, Grateful Dead, John Deer and flamingo masks.  All completely dirt stained because a sweat soaked mask while cooler is less effective.  Sure those look great in public but I've got the thing on.  Cheesy

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #425 on: July 21, 2020, 02:05:14 AM »

haha nice, where did you get those?
cineater
Legend

« Reply #426 on: July 21, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »

haha nice, where did you get those?

Made my own out of bandanas and people gave them to me.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #427 on: July 21, 2020, 10:29:34 PM »

Oh cool
cineater
Legend

« Reply #428 on: July 22, 2020, 11:37:42 PM »

Did you see the coronavirus duct tape prom dress?

https://www.today.com/style/teen-makes-coronavirus-prom-dress-duck-tape-contest-t184355

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #429 on: July 25, 2020, 11:27:51 AM »

Ive gotten myself into a scenario where I'm going to prove or disprove the effectiveness of a mask. I was in contact with someone on Monday that came down with symptoms of covid later that day and subsequently tested positive. We were both wearing masks. I get tested tomorrow, so far I have zero symptoms 5 days after exposure.  I haven't left my house since I found out, the whole self quarantine thing.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #430 on: July 25, 2020, 11:38:54 AM »

Ive gotten myself into a scenario where I'm going to prove or disprove the effectiveness of a mask. I was in contact with someone on Monday that came down with symptoms of covid later that day and subsequently tested positive. We were both wearing masks. I get tested tomorrow, so far I have zero symptoms 5 days after exposure.  I haven't left my house since I found out, the whole self quarantine thing.

Damn man, i know we disagree on a great many things politically, but i sincerely hope you haven't contacted it, as well as your family and anyone else you came into contact with.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #431 on: July 25, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »

Ive gotten myself into a scenario where I'm going to prove or disprove the effectiveness of a mask. I was in contact with someone on Monday that came down with symptoms of covid later that day and subsequently tested positive. We were both wearing masks. I get tested tomorrow, so far I have zero symptoms 5 days after exposure.  I haven't left my house since I found out, the whole self quarantine thing.

Damn man, i know we disagree on a great many things politically, but i sincerely hope you haven't contacted it, as well as your family and anyone else you came into contact with.

Thanks Tim, appreciate that. Ive been home since Tuesday afternoon, so thinking when I went out tues AM it would've been too soon for it to transfer from me to someone else ( if I have it) and I was masked up anyway,  found out thurs AM when my client gave me a heads up he was positive and subsequently cleared my work schedule for that day & the rest of the week.. I need to find out  if I still need to isolate next week at all if I test negative.  (I am not sure if they recommend that people isolate for 14 days even with a negative test. )

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #432 on: July 25, 2020, 01:24:26 PM »

Ive gotten myself into a scenario where I'm going to prove or disprove the effectiveness of a mask. I was in contact with someone on Monday that came down with symptoms of covid later that day and subsequently tested positive. We were both wearing masks. I get tested tomorrow, so far I have zero symptoms 5 days after exposure.  I haven't left my house since I found out, the whole self quarantine thing.

Thanks Tim, appreciate that. Ive been home since Tuesday afternoon, so thinking when I went out tues AM it would've been too soon for it to transfer from me to someone else ( if I have it) and I was masked up anyway,  found out thurs AM when my client gave me a heads up he was positive and subsequently cleared my work schedule for that day & the rest of the week.. I need to find out  if I still need to isolate next week at all if I test negative.  (I am not sure if they recommend that people isolate for 14 days even with a negative test. )

Hoping your client has a speedy recovery as well. I'm thinking not, a friend of mine just a few days ago went to the ER because she thought she might have it. They told her to quarantine until she got the results. They were negative thankfully. She didn't have to quarantine any after the negative result.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:18:22 AM by tim_m » Logged
cineater
Legend

« Reply #433 on: July 25, 2020, 07:27:47 PM »

Scary stuff wish you both good health.

We just had a family party.  Normally everybody doesn't show up but this time we did.  Hopefully we didn't just kill the family off.  Probably should of thought of that before hand.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #434 on: July 26, 2020, 01:45:09 AM »

I've seen so many stories about how outbreaks start after that  Hopefully none of you have it.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #435 on: July 26, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »

Wow.

Take care. Hoping for the best!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #436 on: July 26, 2020, 12:49:21 PM »

Good luck man. I hope u and your family stay healthy.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #437 on: July 27, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »

Scary

I hope it comes to nothing.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #438 on: July 27, 2020, 05:11:46 PM »

I don't get why the life guards got it.  Assuming their employer had the employees taking precautions, they normally sit up above the crowds, eyes on the water, no socializing.  They are outside with plenty of air flow.

Ooops never mind, they all went to the same party.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:13:34 PM by cineater » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #439 on: July 27, 2020, 05:21:14 PM »

Virus vaccine put to final test in thousands of volunteers
By LAURAN NEERGAARD and MICHAEL HILL
today

The world’s biggest COVID-19 vaccine study got underway Monday with the first of 30,000 planned volunteers helping to test shots created by the U.S. government -- one of several candidates in the final stretch of the global vaccine race.

There’s still no guarantee that the experimental vaccine, developed by the National Institutes of Health and Moderna Inc., will really protect.

Full story: https://apnews.com/d9150647d677cd036c03b8d0ab52358b

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 57 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: