Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:32:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Covid-19 (not gnr related)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 (not gnr related)  (Read 151304 times)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #300 on: April 27, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »

They allowed some businesses like skating rinks, movie theatres and bowling alleys to open up with less than 10 people.  The businesses decided it would cost them money to do that and remained closed.  Those are the businesses they think of first when looking at slowly reopening?

You've hit on something important here, the dollars and cents of operating these businesses in a half assed way and how that's not really going to work. Bars aren't going to open if they can only seat every other stool. College football isn't going to be played in empty stadiums where there's zero ticket sale revenue to offset the cost of running the programs. Getting "back to normal" is going to be a ways off.

Giving business the option is a good idea if they can fall within the safety protocols. For some it makes sens to open on a limited basis to stop the financial hemorrhaging while others it isn't cost effective. These are the baby steps we need to take to reopen the country. Can't fit all businesses in the same box, we continue that school of thought and a lot of businesses will be gone permanently along with peoples livelihoods.  Yes we are a ways off from getting back to normal but we can start heading in that direction at this point in some areas.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
cineater
Legend

« Reply #301 on: April 27, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »

Starting week 6 of lock down here.  Environmentalist are reporting improvements in clean air and water from the lack of human activity.  I'm sure there's some health improvements from not eating all the restaurant food.  Financially, I'm not spending money on gas and eating out so improvement there for me.  There's some positive stuff going on.  Cheesy

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #302 on: April 27, 2020, 02:52:55 PM »

Starting week 6 of lock down here.  Environmentalist are reporting improvements in clean air and water from the lack of human activity.  I'm sure there's some health improvements from not eating all the restaurant food.  Financially, I'm not spending money on gas and eating out so improvement there for me.  There's some positive stuff going on.  Cheesy

For you personally, it seems.

For me, it's exactly the opposite.  I live in a house with no kitchen because it's being demolished and renovated.  So I am forced to eat cheap junk fast food just to make it through the day.  I'm going on one meal a day, and it's either McDonald's, Wendy's, or stopping at WalMart and hoping they've marked down some of their subs.

I lost both my jobs, and as shitty as my living situation is, I'll likely lose that soon as well, despite the fact that I can't find a better place to live because no one is renting anything out right now.  I am spending more money on gas because the parks are the only thing open and the only thing retaining any measure of my sanity right now.  I filed for unemployment and received letters that I am entitled to small amounts, but my state hasn't actually paid and the Dept of Labor's multiple phone numbers aren't working.

Not everyone was fortunate enough to have a job where they could work from home, or have copious amounts of savings to live off of.  As bad as my life is right now, I cannot imagine what it's like for parents to be out of work, slowly watching their children starve because they're having to cut back on food or ration meals.  That's a very real threat RIGHT NOW and I ALWAYS said from the beginning that not being able to work would very quickly become a much bigger threat than the coronavirus, and it's happening to the Have Nots right now.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:15:51 PM by Bridge » Logged
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2020, 03:02:31 PM »

Starting week 6 of lock down here.  Environmentalist are reporting improvements in clean air and water from the lack of human activity.  I'm sure there's some health improvements from not eating all the restaurant food.  Financially, I'm not spending money on gas and eating out so improvement there for me.  There's some positive stuff going on.  Cheesy

For me, it's exactly the opposite.  I live in a house with no kitchen because it's being demolished and renovated.  So I am forced to eat cheap junk fast food just to make it through the day.  I'm going on one meal a day, and it's either McDonald's, Wendy's, or stopping at WalMart and hoping they've marked down some of their subs.

I lost both my jobs, and as shitty as my living situation is, I'll likely lose that soon as well, despite the fact that I can't find a better place to live because no one is renting anything out right now.  I am spending more money on gas because the parks are the only thing open and the only thing retaining any measure of my sanity right now.  I filed for unemployment and received letters that I am entitled to small amounts, but my state hasn't actually paid and the Dept of Labors' multiple phone numbers aren't working.

Not everyone was fortunate enough to have a job where they could work from home, or have copious amounts of savings to live off of.  As bad as my life is right now, I cannot imagine what it's like for parents to be out of work, slowly watching their children starve because they're having to cut back on food or ration meals.  That's a very real threat RIGHT NOW and I ALWAYS said from the beginning that not being able to work would very quickly become a much bigger threat than the coronavirus, and it's happening to the Have Nots right now.

Well said & hope things turn around for you -
cineater
Legend

« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2020, 07:14:48 PM »

I lost both my jobs, and as shitty as my living situation is, I'll likely lose that soon as well, despite the fact that I can't find a better place to live because no one is renting anything out right now.  I am spending more money on gas because the parks are the only thing open and the only thing retaining any measure of my sanity right now.  I filed for unemployment and received letters that I am entitled to small amounts, but my state hasn't actually paid and the Dept of Labor's multiple phone numbers aren't working.

Wow, you have a lot going on.

Well, at the risk of setting you off, let me try to help, maybe you've never been in this situation before.  You're buying your food at the most expensive price out there.  There are plenty of things you can buy at the grocery store that don't have to be cooked or refrigerated, are more nutritional and cost way less.  Many of your can goods can be eaten straight from the can.  If you have an electric skillet or can borrow one, you're cooking.  There are probably barbeque pits in the park and you can make a cooking fire.  There are lawns to be cut and other "menial labors" that can generate some money or a free meal.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:05:21 PM by cineater » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #305 on: April 28, 2020, 06:08:38 AM »

I live in a house with no kitchen because it's being demolished and renovated.  So I am forced to eat cheap junk fast food just to make it through the day.  I'm going on one meal a day, and it's either McDonald's, Wendy's, or stopping at WalMart and hoping they've marked down some of their subs.

Sorry to hear that.  Sad

What a fucked up system. It shouldn't be acceptable that people don't get the money (help) they are entitled to. Like you said, people are already stressed out about their finances, housing, food etc on top of all the invisible enemy of the virus.

Hope it works out for you soon.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #306 on: April 28, 2020, 06:18:35 AM »

I live in a house with no kitchen because it's being demolished and renovated.  So I am forced to eat cheap junk fast food just to make it through the day.  I'm going on one meal a day, and it's either McDonald's, Wendy's, or stopping at WalMart and hoping they've marked down some of their subs.

Sorry to hear that.  Sad

What a fucked up system. It shouldn't be acceptable that people don't get the money (help) they are entitled to. Like you said, people are already stressed out about their finances, housing, food etc on top of all the invisible enemy of the virus.

/jarmo

Yep it is pretty sad. We got a measly one time stimulus of $1200. $2400 for married couples. To contrast, Canada is paying people out of work $2000 a month.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #307 on: April 28, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »

Sorry to hear that.  Sad

/jarmo

Yep it is pretty sad. We got a measly one time stimulus of $1200. $2400 for married couples. To contrast, Canada is paying people out of work $2000 a month.

Actually, the US is paying the unemployed better.  On top of what people normally get in unemployment the feds added $600/wk.  Of course, the problem is the systems got over ran.  Which is not where the taxer pays wanted their priorities for tax dollars when they were working.  When it comes to use of tax dollars, mental health and services to the poor go to the bottom of the list and then get cut.  Your computer upgrades for systems and supplies usually come from federal grants to the states.  The only reason my state was able to operate a lot of this stuff from home was because they took advantage of those grants.  They want to shut down the offices and have people work out of their homes.  It saves them money in the long run and they were working on that when this hit.  It's been an ongoing process for 5 years but it didn't really include a better operating system.  It was the hardware that took it to the home.  The computer systems are over 20 years old with upgrades made along the way.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »

Nice to see the "measured and very unflappable" Mike Pence remember to wear a face mask when touring the Mayo Clinic Roll Eyes

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »

Nice to see the "measured and very unflappable" Mike Pence remember to wear a face mask when touring the Mayo Clinic Roll Eyes

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2020, 08:01:37 PM »

Maybe he's thinking it's his body, and his choice.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #311 on: April 30, 2020, 12:15:56 AM »

Maybe he's thinking it's his body, and his choice.  hihi

/jarmo

Oh no, he's a very important man in a danger zone.  And since all the PPE is in high demand, I would have made him dress like the MTV moonman.  hihi

cineater
Legend

« Reply #312 on: May 01, 2020, 11:18:16 PM »

Hope that's the miracle drug.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #313 on: May 02, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »

Phase 1 starts here on Monday  ok

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/05/01/gov-ron-desantis-gives-update-on-states-response-to-coronavirus-crisis/?fbclid=IwAR17KkikJTXGptp3Go63yzV9yodkB9kMWO4u5derpTa2HSowVFvF2JgAt5Y
Re-Open Florida Task Force releases 3-phased plan to reopen state

Phase 1:

Schools would remain distance learning.

No visitors to long term care facilities.

Elective surgeries can resume statewide.

No movie theaters. “I’ve declined to go for movie theaters at this time, even though you could have done that in Phase 1,” DeSantis said. “I think prudence dictates we go a little slow on that.”

Restaurants will be allowed outdoor seating with six-feet of social distancing; 25 percent capacity for indoor seating will be allowed with CDC guidelines for spacing. “The task force recommended 50 percent inside, I think we’ll start with 25 percent with the outdoor and see how it goes,” DeSantis said.

Retail can operate at a 25 percent indoor capacity with social distancing.

The task force did recommend that gyms and fitness centers would be allowed to operate at up to 50 percent of its building’s capacity. DeSantis said Phase 1 at this time would not allow gyms, fitness centers and personal services to open. “I do want people to get into gyms and if I get some guidelines that make sense, then we will reevaluate it. But for now Phase 1 is not going to include that.”

Large spectator sporting events should use strict social distancing guidelines and limit occupancy of venues to 25 percent of building capacity, the report stated. But DeSantis said he would give approval to sporting events in Phase 1 only if they did not include spectators.

Theme parks will remain closed.

PHASE 2

“Phase 2 will begin after the successful conclusion of Phase 1, which includes a downward trajectory of the syndromic and epidemiology criteria while maintaining adequate health care capacity,” the report stated. “This will occur when there is no evidence of a rebound or resurgence of COVID-19 cases and satisfies the benchmarks outlined in this Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. plan.”

Many of the same precautions are encouraged during Phase 2, however people will be allowed to resume non-essential travel. Businesses are urged to minimize non-essential travel, however, and must adhere to CDC guidelines regarding isolation following travel.

Bars and nightclubs will be allowed to operate at 50 percent of the building capacity, while restaurants will be allowed to operate at no more than 75 percent of its building’s capacity.

Gyms and fitness centers will also be allowed to operate at up to 75 percent of its building’s capacity.

“Theme parks may consider re-opening with capacity limits, strict social distancing and proper measures to clean and disinfect,” the report stated.

PHASE 3

In Phase 3, vulnerable populations are encouraged to limit their time spent in crowded spaces.

Employers may call employees back to work, but teleworking may be considered for vulnerable populations, the report stated.

All non-essential travel may resume in Phase 3, but people must adhere to CDC guidelines regarding isolation following travel, according to the report.

Personal services businesses, such as salons and barber shops, may operate under full capacity in Phase 3 but should consider taking certain preventative measures, including “removing all unnecessary, frequent-touch items such as magazines, newspapers, service menus and any other unnecessary paper products and décor from customer service areas,” the report stated.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #314 on: May 03, 2020, 12:04:06 AM »

Phase 1 starts here on Monday  ok

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/05/01/gov-ron-desantis-gives-update-on-states-response-to-coronavirus-crisis/?fbclid=IwAR17KkikJTXGptp3Go63yzV9yodkB9kMWO4u5derpTa2HSowVFvF2JgAt5Y
Re-Open Florida Task Force releases 3-phased plan to reopen state

Phase 1:

Schools would remain distance learning.

No visitors to long term care facilities.

Elective surgeries can resume statewide.

No movie theaters. “I’ve declined to go for movie theaters at this time, even though you could have done that in Phase 1,” DeSantis said. “I think prudence dictates we go a little slow on that.”

Restaurants will be allowed outdoor seating with six-feet of social distancing; 25 percent capacity for indoor seating will be allowed with CDC guidelines for spacing. “The task force recommended 50 percent inside, I think we’ll start with 25 percent with the outdoor and see how it goes,” DeSantis said.

Retail can operate at a 25 percent indoor capacity with social distancing.

The task force did recommend that gyms and fitness centers would be allowed to operate at up to 50 percent of its building’s capacity. DeSantis said Phase 1 at this time would not allow gyms, fitness centers and personal services to open. “I do want people to get into gyms and if I get some guidelines that make sense, then we will reevaluate it. But for now Phase 1 is not going to include that.”

Large spectator sporting events should use strict social distancing guidelines and limit occupancy of venues to 25 percent of building capacity, the report stated. But DeSantis said he would give approval to sporting events in Phase 1 only if they did not include spectators.

Theme parks will remain closed.

PHASE 2

“Phase 2 will begin after the successful conclusion of Phase 1, which includes a downward trajectory of the syndromic and epidemiology criteria while maintaining adequate health care capacity,” the report stated. “This will occur when there is no evidence of a rebound or resurgence of COVID-19 cases and satisfies the benchmarks outlined in this Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. plan.”

Many of the same precautions are encouraged during Phase 2, however people will be allowed to resume non-essential travel. Businesses are urged to minimize non-essential travel, however, and must adhere to CDC guidelines regarding isolation following travel.

Bars and nightclubs will be allowed to operate at 50 percent of the building capacity, while restaurants will be allowed to operate at no more than 75 percent of its building’s capacity.

Gyms and fitness centers will also be allowed to operate at up to 75 percent of its building’s capacity.

“Theme parks may consider re-opening with capacity limits, strict social distancing and proper measures to clean and disinfect,” the report stated.

PHASE 3

In Phase 3, vulnerable populations are encouraged to limit their time spent in crowded spaces.

Employers may call employees back to work, but teleworking may be considered for vulnerable populations, the report stated.

All non-essential travel may resume in Phase 3, but people must adhere to CDC guidelines regarding isolation following travel, according to the report.

Personal services businesses, such as salons and barber shops, may operate under full capacity in Phase 3 but should consider taking certain preventative measures, including “removing all unnecessary, frequent-touch items such as magazines, newspapers, service menus and any other unnecessary paper products and décor from customer service areas,” the report stated.

Pretty much the exact same plan in my state, except theaters can open at 25%. None are opening though and we aren't allowing any spectator sports.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #315 on: May 03, 2020, 10:15:01 PM »

We start phase one tomorrow.  Our numbers are going up so I'm not sure how long this will last.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #316 on: May 04, 2020, 03:17:24 AM »

We start phase one tomorrow.  Our numbers are going up so I'm not sure how long this will last.

So are ours. The 2nd had the second highest new case total.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #317 on: May 04, 2020, 12:23:01 PM »

Here is something to consider regarding the rising numbers of cases-

Is it due to more spreading of COVID-19 or are they just finding more existing cases since testing is getting better? If that makes any sense.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #318 on: May 04, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »

Here is something to consider regarding the rising numbers of cases-

Is it due to more spreading of COVID-19 or are they just finding more existing cases since testing is getting better? If that makes any sense.

No way to know without also monitoring tests administered per day.  Our state releases that information every day.  Not sure about others.

This is why total hospitializations and daily mortalities are at least as important as "positive tests".  Because those are really irrelevant to the number of tests being done.

If you are trending down on hospitalizations (more DCs than admissions) and if less people are dying every day...that's a better metric concerning acuity in the state vs just "positive tests".  Positive test divided by total tests given (so you get a % comparison to previous days) in RELATION to positive tests is another decent benchmark.  But without the number of tests administered per day, you have no real context for "new cases".

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #319 on: May 04, 2020, 02:42:04 PM »

I dont see the reported numbers for my state falling, they are showing a steady but not sharp increase per day. Yet we open up today for phase 1.  Granted I am happy to take steps toward the direction of normalcy but I dont want a 2nd spike either. That just prolongs this.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: