Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:50:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Covid-19 (not gnr related)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 (not gnr related)  (Read 151344 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #320 on: May 04, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »

CNN has the world and USA figures on screen all of the time
I've made a game out of it and predict the #'s before seeing them.
One constant trend over the past few weeks is that the #of cases is clearly up per day if compared to a month ago (testing) but the deaths are not (Social distancing working and as with anything - we learn a lot as we go - in particular the care at the hospitals has been sensational)

Now if you go back to what I mentioned about predicting - we are more or less on a consistent trend - seeing 70-90k new cases worldwide with 5-10k deaths per day
USA is about 30-40k cases and 1-2k deaths per day (about 40% of that is from NY alone)

Doesn't give you all of the answers but is a fascinating thing to watch the impact

cineater
Legend

« Reply #321 on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:20 PM »

One constant trend over the past few weeks is that the #of cases is clearly up per day if compared to a month ago (testing) but the deaths are not (Social distancing working and as with anything - we learn a lot as we go - in particular the care at the hospitals has been sensational)

Now if you go back to what I mentioned about predicting - we are more or less on a consistent trend - seeing 70-90k new cases worldwide with 5-10k deaths per day
USA is about 30-40k cases and 1-2k deaths per day (about 40% of that is from NY alone)

Doesn't give you all of the answers but is a fascinating thing to watch the impact

I would not watch that.  Scares the shit out of you to watch the news.  It would be better if they gave the percentage of the population to give you a better picture of just how bad it is but then again testing is behind.

Any reports on how the wonder drug is doing?  Is it even available and being used yet?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2020, 05:18:02 AM »

I would not watch that.  Scares the shit out of you to watch the news.  It would be better if they gave the percentage of the population to give you a better picture of just how bad it is but then again testing is behind.

Any reports on how the wonder drug is doing?  Is it even available and being used yet?
New York is starting to do that with a massive undertaking of antibody testing. Last update from Governor Cuomo on that they'd tested 15k random people. So far it is at 12.3%.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #323 on: May 05, 2020, 06:40:07 AM »

Eh - is ok
I enjoy the numbers game - don't get carried away by sensationalism much
My point was simply that while this is not over by a long shot - it has become quite predictable - we are not seeing 50-100k jumps in deaths on any day above the norm - so in my heart of hearts it means something is working
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #324 on: May 05, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »

It'll all be for naught if we continue to try an open too quickly. We could be looking at 3k deaths a day by August.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #325 on: May 05, 2020, 09:42:36 AM »

Saw this on a facebook post. Some good perspective, what we are currently going thru isn't as bad as what the greatest generation had to deal with.....

“Imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war.
Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million.
On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%.
That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy.
When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war.
At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish.
At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict.
On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, should have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening.
When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends.
Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? When you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art, refined as time goes on, and enlightening like you wouldn’t believe. Let’s try and keep things in perspective."

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #326 on: May 05, 2020, 10:17:20 AM »

Finland is starting to open up. Restaurants will open next month etc.

Meanwhile, Sweden has been open all along..... Number of cases and deaths are way higher than the neighboring countries that have had lock down measures in place.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #327 on: May 05, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »

Saw this on a facebook post. Some good perspective, what we are currently going thru isn't as bad as what the greatest generation had to deal with.....

“Imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war.
Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million.
On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%.
That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy.
When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war.
At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish.
At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict.
On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, should have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening.
When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends.
Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? When you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art, refined as time goes on, and enlightening like you wouldn’t believe. Let’s try and keep things in perspective."

Not to mention all the other diseases like polio and TB running rampant.  Industrial waste, the effort to feed yourself and car crashes.  No wonder people thought 60 was old.  hihi

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2020, 10:39:13 AM »

This turd gets a slap on the wrist for breaking protocol he says the rest of the country had to follow. Ferguson told people they needed to social distance and stay at home. But he lets a married woman come to his house twice for some action, knowing that he had tested positive for COVID19. Then this married woman potentially exposes her entire family to the virus. Unbelievable. He even went as far as saying previously that China has shown the way on how to handle COVID with their lockdowns. Same China that we have seen video of their police dragging people into vans kicking and screaming likely destined to some secret internment camp.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/uk/neil-ferguson-imperial-coronavirus-sage-gbr-intl/index.html
UK coronavirus adviser resigns after reports his lover visited during lockdown

London (CNN)A leading epidemiologist who advised the UK government on its coronavirus response resigned from his government post on Tuesday, after the Telegraph newspaper revealed he broke the lockdown rules he helped shape by allowing his reported lover to visit his home.
Professor Neil Ferguson, who is based at Imperial College in London, is one of the architects of the UK government's stay-at-home strategy and was a prominent member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) which has been spearheading the country's coronavirus response.
The Telegraph reported Tuesday that a woman whom it described as his married lover had visited Ferguson's home in London at least twice despite social distancing guidelines.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock told Sky News that he was left speechless by the "extraordinary" revelation and that Ferguson had taken the right decision in resigning from his advisory position.

"Clearly the social distancing rules are there for everyone and they are incredibly important and they are deadly serious, and the reason is that they are the means by which we have managed to get control of this virus," Hancock said Wednesday.

News of Ferguson's resignation came on the same day that the UK overtook Italy as the country with the highest coronavirus death toll in Europe. The UK Department of Health and Social Care said 29,427 people who had tested positive for Covid-19 had died as of Monday afternoon.
In a statement to CNN, Ferguson said he accepted he made "an error of judgement and took the wrong course of action," and had therefore stepped back from his involvement in SAGE.

"I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms," he said.
"I deeply regret any undermining of the clear messages around the continued need for social distancing to control this devastating epidemic.
"The government guidance is unequivocal, and is there to protect all of us."

Hancock told Sky News it was up to the police to decide whether any action should be taken against Ferguson.
"Professor Ferguson is a very eminent and impressive scientist and the science that he has done has been an important part of what we've listened to," the health secretary said. "I think he took the right decision to resign."

Scotland Yard said Ferguson's behavior was "plainly disappointing" but ruled out taking action against him -- such as issuing a fine -- because he had "taken responsibility" for his error of judgment, according to the UK's PA news agency.
Professor Sir Robert Lechler, president of the Academy of Medical Sciences, told the UK's Science Media Centre that he did not believe Ferguson's resignation would have any material impact on the advice received by the government, despite his high profile.
"It's critical, I think, to understand that we are in an era of team science. Prof Ferguson is an individual -- he's the leader of a team, but it's the team as a whole who will, I am sure, continue to provide valuable input to SAGE," Lechler said.
The epidemiologist is not the only leading figure in Britain's coronavirus response to have been caught flouting the rules on social distancing.

Scotland's chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, resigned from the position last month after she was photographed by a Scottish newspaper near her family's second home, in a different part of the country to her Edinburgh address.
She was given a formal police warning for leaving her home without proper excuse.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:05:51 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #329 on: May 06, 2020, 03:41:18 PM »

This turd gets a slap on the wrist for breaking protocol he says the rest of the country had to follow. Ferguson told people they needed to social distance and stay at home. But he lets a married woman come to his house twice for some action, knowing that he had tested positive for COVID19. Then this married woman potentially exposes her entire family to the virus. Unbelievable. He even went as far as saying previously that China has shown the way on how to handle COVID with their lockdowns. Same China that we have seen video of their police dragging people into vans kicking and screaming likely destined to some secret internment camp.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/uk/neil-ferguson-imperial-coronavirus-sage-gbr-intl/index.html
UK coronavirus adviser resigns after reports his lover visited during lockdown

London (CNN)A leading epidemiologist who advised the UK government on its coronavirus response resigned from his government post on Tuesday, after the Telegraph newspaper revealed he broke the lockdown rules he helped shape by allowing his reported lover to visit his home.
Professor Neil Ferguson, who is based at Imperial College in London, is one of the architects of the UK government's stay-at-home strategy and was a prominent member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) which has been spearheading the country's coronavirus response.
The Telegraph reported Tuesday that a woman whom it described as his married lover had visited Ferguson's home in London at least twice despite social distancing guidelines.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock told Sky News that he was left speechless by the "extraordinary" revelation and that Ferguson had taken the right decision in resigning from his advisory position.

"Clearly the social distancing rules are there for everyone and they are incredibly important and they are deadly serious, and the reason is that they are the means by which we have managed to get control of this virus," Hancock said Wednesday.

News of Ferguson's resignation came on the same day that the UK overtook Italy as the country with the highest coronavirus death toll in Europe. The UK Department of Health and Social Care said 29,427 people who had tested positive for Covid-19 had died as of Monday afternoon.
In a statement to CNN, Ferguson said he accepted he made "an error of judgement and took the wrong course of action," and had therefore stepped back from his involvement in SAGE.

"I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms," he said.
"I deeply regret any undermining of the clear messages around the continued need for social distancing to control this devastating epidemic.
"The government guidance is unequivocal, and is there to protect all of us."

Hancock told Sky News it was up to the police to decide whether any action should be taken against Ferguson.
"Professor Ferguson is a very eminent and impressive scientist and the science that he has done has been an important part of what we've listened to," the health secretary said. "I think he took the right decision to resign."

Scotland Yard said Ferguson's behavior was "plainly disappointing" but ruled out taking action against him -- such as issuing a fine -- because he had "taken responsibility" for his error of judgment, according to the UK's PA news agency.
Professor Sir Robert Lechler, president of the Academy of Medical Sciences, told the UK's Science Media Centre that he did not believe Ferguson's resignation would have any material impact on the advice received by the government, despite his high profile.
"It's critical, I think, to understand that we are in an era of team science. Prof Ferguson is an individual -- he's the leader of a team, but it's the team as a whole who will, I am sure, continue to provide valuable input to SAGE," Lechler said.
The epidemiologist is not the only leading figure in Britain's coronavirus response to have been caught flouting the rules on social distancing.

Scotland's chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, resigned from the position last month after she was photographed by a Scottish newspaper near her family's second home, in a different part of the country to her Edinburgh address.
She was given a formal police warning for leaving her home without proper excuse.

Can't fix stupid.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #330 on: May 07, 2020, 11:24:56 PM »

My friends just can't maintain that social distance.  The next thing I know, they are right next to me.

poorlakers
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #331 on: May 08, 2020, 08:28:05 AM »

Funny how folks just want to live their lives. What a concept!

Poorlakers

Poorlakers
poorlakers
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #332 on: May 08, 2020, 08:28:49 AM »

I like/enjoy being next to others!

Poorlakers
cineater
Legend

« Reply #333 on: May 08, 2020, 10:47:09 PM »

I'm all for live your life just don't do anything to interrupt me living mine.  Back your ass off 6 feet and take in the whole view.  hihi

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #334 on: May 08, 2020, 10:58:01 PM »

I'm all for live your life just don't do anything to interrupt me living mine.  Back your ass off 6 feet and take in the whole view.  hihi

I hear ya, i am over people not taking this seriously. I've been going around and around with a friend refusing to wear a mask in situations that do not allow a safe distance. She thinks only people staying home are dying and all the essential workers are 100% fine. Then there's my mom who thinks the shelter in place is socialism and that the hospitals are  artificially inflating the numbers when its much more likely they are way too low due to lack of enough testing. She thinks they want us to wear masks because they don't want us to not get antibodies and they want us to die. When we don't even know if antibodies even protect us and for how long because it has mutated so many times. I know 9 people in the nursing field so i see and hear what is really going on. The most frustrating thing about it is it has really hit home for me. My best friends husband has lost 4 co workers in the last few weeks to this. His grandmother lost an ex. Another friends dad lost 3 good friends in a week, yes said week! and another one of his close friends lost their aunt in the same week. I am just done with ignorance and conspiracy shit about covid-19.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #335 on: May 08, 2020, 11:09:07 PM »

They are tracking cell phones to see if as a group we are going out or staying home.

Aw, Roy from Siegfried and Roy died from the virus.  Cry
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:35:46 PM by cineater » Logged

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #336 on: May 09, 2020, 12:33:39 AM »

Yeah i saw that.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #337 on: May 11, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »

I blew it.  We didn't maintain social distancing on Mother's Day and I had a construction crew in the house today.  But, where I think I'm going down, the guy who came over to collect the money from the plant sale I've been having on my driveway for the last two weeks is self isolating until his test results comes back.  Only time will tell.

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #338 on: May 11, 2020, 09:38:56 PM »

I blew it.  We didn't maintain social distancing on Mother's Day and I had a construction crew in the house today.  But, where I think I'm going down, the guy who came over to collect the money from the plant sale I've been having on my driveway for the last two weeks is self isolating until his test results comes back.  Only time will tell.

So wait, what are you saying?   Huh  Did you get sick during this trek?
cineater
Legend

« Reply #339 on: May 11, 2020, 10:58:04 PM »

So wait, what are you saying?   Huh  Did you get sick during this trek?

Not yet but you can't say I don't have it coming.  Good news, the money guy's test came back negative.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: