Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:39:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Covid-19 (not gnr related)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 (not gnr related)  (Read 151375 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #520 on: November 09, 2020, 03:08:08 PM »

Ben Carson and a Trump aide have covid-19.

Apparently Trump's personnel director is firing anyone caught looking for a new job. This whole administration is a whole new level of WTF.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #521 on: November 09, 2020, 06:24:17 PM »

Closer to a vaccine today.  Made the stock market happy. 

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
cineater
Legend

« Reply #522 on: November 10, 2020, 11:25:07 PM »

This vaccine has issues.  It has to be kept cooler than most places can do and you have to have two shots.  The news estimated it would be April or May before it would be available to the general public.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #523 on: November 11, 2020, 06:34:33 PM »

This vaccine has issues.  It has to be kept cooler than most places can do and you have to have two shots.  The news estimated it would be April or May before it would be available to the general public.

Yep that will be a challenge in transporting it. Dr Fauci said that the people who need it most could start getting it late December early January, and your average healthy adult in April or May.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #524 on: November 11, 2020, 07:13:39 PM »

Yep that will be a challenge in transporting it. Dr Fauci said that the people who need it most could start getting it late December early January, and your average healthy adult in April or May.

I let my mother know I'm not coming to Thanksgiving.  My niece is throwing a big family event again.  Her husband's side of the family has called off but there's still a lot on her side coming.  Too many people indoors for me and I have some medical stuff coming up so I don't want to get exposed to anything.

Interesting, we may have to show we've been vaccinated before going to concerts.  That may happen in a lot of places.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #525 on: November 11, 2020, 07:40:57 PM »

That would certainly make a lot of sense.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #526 on: November 12, 2020, 09:15:41 AM »

That would certainly make a lot of sense.

I don't know.  Once you're vaccinated does that mean you can't get it or it reduces your chance to get it?  We could be wearing masks for a long time to come.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #527 on: November 14, 2020, 10:37:17 AM »

I was reviewing the recommended budget for the county next year.  Revenue for the county is actually up as of September.  The sales tax money didn't drop because of covid.  That's pretty good considering shopping, restaurants and gas prices dropped.  Wonder what we did buy?  They are recommending a small pay increase for employees.  Way better than the University which is doing pay cuts.  Wonder how the state did on funds?

cineater
Legend

« Reply #528 on: November 15, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »

The big hospitals here suspended elective surgeries.  They've been filling up with the rural people with covid.  I cringe every time my daughter tells me she is working the covid floor.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #529 on: November 15, 2020, 08:22:56 PM »

I bet, i hope she stays safe and healthy.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #530 on: November 16, 2020, 12:21:11 AM »

I bet, i hope she stays safe and healthy.

"My landscape would be empty if she were gone." 

Darn the boy scouts cancelled their food drive here.  That will be missed.  And Guns N Hoses cancelled, fundraiser for fallen first responder families.  Fauci is now saying April or July before we are back to "normal".  Winter is going to suck.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #531 on: November 16, 2020, 07:39:58 AM »

I don't know.  Once you're vaccinated does that mean you can't get it or it reduces your chance to get it?  We could be wearing masks for a long time to come.

You "get it".  But your T cells have been "taught" by the vaccine how to eliminate it.  So your body produces exactly the right antibodies to kill the virus.

In most cases, your virus load stays low enough that a) you don't know you have it and b) you aren't a spreader.  In a some cases, you can get the equivalent of a cold...aka symptoms stay low enough you aren't in need of any sort of hospitalization or ancillary care.  And it's pretty short duration (2 to 3 days).

Moderno released their efficacy rate today: 95%...and no need for cold storage.  They are roughly on the same time line for distribution that Pfizer is. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #532 on: November 16, 2020, 08:35:21 AM »

Moderna: Covid vaccine shows nearly 95% protection https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54902908

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #533 on: November 16, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »

You "get it".  But your T cells have been "taught" by the vaccine how to eliminate it.  So your body produces exactly the right antibodies to kill the virus.

In most cases, your virus load stays low enough that a) you don't know you have it and b) you aren't a spreader.  In a some cases, you can get the equivalent of a cold...aka symptoms stay low enough you aren't in need of any sort of hospitalization or ancillary care.  And it's pretty short duration (2 to 3 days).

Moderno released their efficacy rate today: 95%...and no need for cold storage.  They are roughly on the same time line for distribution that Pfizer is. 

Are you still in kore favor of the Pfizer one over Moderna?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #534 on: November 17, 2020, 04:32:10 PM »

Dolly Parton donated money ($1 million) to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. Which turns out is one of the trial sites for the Moderna vaccine.

Thank you Dolly!

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54974987

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #535 on: November 18, 2020, 07:03:51 AM »

I like the methodology behind the Pfizer one better, in terms of the actual chemistry and science, etc.

But they both work, with efficacy rates over 90%.  I recognize the Pfizer vax requires some additional storage considerations that make it hard to distribute and administer in more traditional settings (aka your local pharmacy).  At this point, I'd say I prefer the Pfizer vax (and it's the one I'll get via my employer), but I would say for the general public: Take what is available to you, of those two, as soon as you feel comfortable doing so.

So, Pfizer released their safety data today, and will seek FDA approval within the next couple days.  You heard it here first. Wink

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #536 on: November 18, 2020, 07:54:37 AM »

Covid vaccine: Pfizer says it's '94% effective in over 65s' https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54986208

/jarmo

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #537 on: November 18, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »

I like the methodology behind the Pfizer one better, in terms of the actual chemistry and science, etc.

But they both work, with efficacy rates over 90%.  I recognize the Pfizer vax requires some additional storage considerations that make it hard to distribute and administer in more traditional settings (aka your local pharmacy).  At this point, I'd say I prefer the Pfizer vax (and it's the one I'll get via my employer), but I would say for the general public: Take what is available to you, of those two, as soon as you feel comfortable doing so.

So, Pfizer released their safety data today, and will seek FDA approval within the next couple days.  You heard it here first. Wink

Yep saw the news about the emergency use authorization, definitely good news. I take it you are still under an NDA and can't say as much as you'd probably like to on the subject?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:20:18 PM by tim_m » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #538 on: November 18, 2020, 06:04:39 PM »

Covid vaccine: Pfizer says it's '94% effective in over 65s' https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54986208

/jarmo

That's great news, as both my parents are over 65.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #539 on: November 20, 2020, 06:54:24 PM »

The FDA said Friday it has scheduled a meeting of its outside advisory panel to discuss Pfizer and BioNTech's application for emergency use authorization for a coronavirus vaccine for December 10.

WTF?  Why aren't they meeting next week?

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: