Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Double Talkin Jive by Matt Sorum
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Double Talkin Jive by Matt Sorum  (Read 20192 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« on: April 08, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Talkin-Jive-Stories-Revolver/dp/164160154X

This is now available for digital download. I started reading it last night but I skip around and don't read in order. There's some interesting stories, I'd call it more of a collection of stories told in chronological order rather than a comprehensive history. Maybe I'll give a full review later but so far a few points stand out:

- Matt is very honest about himself, to the point of not being incredibly likable.
 - I didn't realize he was quite such a fuck up with drugs and alcohol. He was a complete mess during the UYI tour, to the point of barely making it to shows because he was off partying somewhere.
 - He mentions dollar figures of contracts all over the book. You can tell the money is a big motivator for him.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 07:06:45 PM »

I bought it  from german amazon couple days ago. it says out of stock with zero info on when im gonna get it.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:27:09 PM »

I bought it  from german amazon couple days ago. it says out of stock with zero info on when im gonna get it.

Are you trying to buy a physical copy? I think that may be on hold due to the virus.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:19:36 AM »

Are you trying to buy a physical copy? I think that may be on hold due to the virus.
Yes.
It didint say anything about a new releasedate just out of stock.

Not sure if i can get my money back.
Then again i wanna get it asap so not sure its necessary to cancel it anyway

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:27:59 AM »

Yes.

Apparently all outlets are now saying it's not available.  I don't know if I downloaded a copy that was being released by accident or what.

rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 06:41:01 PM »

Yes.

Apparently all outlets are now saying it's not available.  I don't know if I downloaded a copy that was being released by accident or what.
Could be.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
axe
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 02:41:51 PM »

I had pre-ordered the Kindle version of the Sorum book sometimes in November or December of last year. About a month ago there was an email from Amazon that the book was pushed to July 7th instead on April 7th. But a week ago, on Apr 7, it did come for downloading on my device. Might have been a mistake for the pre-orderers? Anyway, I read it, and it's a pretty good read if you enjoy stories about sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. Naturally Matt is probably downplaying some of the things for example in his relationship with Axl, but in general, this time he doesn't paint Axl as a total dick as he has done in some interviews in the past. In fact, he seems to resent Slash's behaviour more.

Now we only need the less than 100 page point-of-view from Izzy, and then, of course, the 15.000 pages by Axl.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »

I had pre-ordered the Kindle version of the Sorum book sometimes in November or December of last year. About a month ago there was an email from Amazon that the book was pushed to July 7th instead on April 7th. But a week ago, on Apr 7, it did come for downloading on my device. Might have been a mistake for the pre-orderers? Anyway, I read it, and it's a pretty good read if you enjoy stories about sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. Naturally Matt is probably downplaying some of the things for example in his relationship with Axl, but in general, this time he doesn't paint Axl as a total dick as he has done in some interviews in the past. In fact, he seems to resent Slash's behaviour more.

Now we only need the less than 100 page point-of-view from Izzy, and then, of course, the 15.000 pages by Axl.

I was surprised and disappointed at how he talks about Slash and Duff in the book. Matt owes a lot of his career to his involvement with those guys. I get that there's sour grapes over NITL but he shouldn't have let that color his opinion throughout. I don't think he says one complimentary thing about either in the book.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 10:01:21 AM »

I was surprised and disappointed at how he talks about Slash and Duff in the book. Matt owes a lot of his career to his involvement with those guys. I get that there's sour grapes over NITL but he shouldn't have let that color his opinion throughout. I don't think he says one complimentary thing about either in the book.

Can you give us a few examples of Matt's sour grapes?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 04:27:00 PM »

I'd love to read it during this quarantine...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 03:40:10 PM »

Huge spoilers ahead...…

- Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampires. The crowd is chanting “GNR” at Matt and Duff. Matt overhears someone (doesn’t say who, not Duff) mention that GNR is reforming and coming back to play SA the next year. Matt, knowing nothing about this, gets a sick feeling that this means he won’t be involved.
- Sometime later, Matt confronts Duff about the rumor. Duff says “there have been talks” but nothing is set. Matt asks Duff to keep him in the loop with what’s going on. Matt ends up finding out about Coachella and the NITL tour when it’s announced publicly, same as the rest of the world.
- Matt and Duff meet for lunch sometime during rehearsals for the tour. Matt is upset that Duff didn’t keep him informed as he asked. Duff says Axl wants to use his own drummer but Duff is frustrated because the guy can’t play drums. Matt tells Duff he needs to go back and demand that Matt replace Frank for the tour.
- Sometime before the tour starts, Matt gets the text from Fernando that I mentioned earlier asking him to make some appearances. Matt replies, copying his own manager, that he would be interested. Fernando and Matt’s manager apparently speak and he comes back with the offer, travel expenses covered but no additional pay. Matt asks his manager to politely decline.
- Duff and Matt meet for an awkward lunch sometime after the 1st leg of NITL. Duff asks Matt why he didn’t participate. Matt is miffed that Duff didn’t reach out directly and had management do it. Duff says there would have been money involved had he participated. Matt says that a positive thing from this is that he and Izzy have reconnected. Duff seems agitated at this and says “fuck Izzy.” Matt replies “well, Izzy says fuck you too.” Duff picks at his food and then says he has to leave for rehearsal. Matt asks why they’re rehearsing between legs. Duff says “because you’re not the drummer.” A fan asks for a picture with them on the way out of the restaurant but Duff declines. Matt thinks that Duff doesn’t want Axl to see them photographed together. They have an awkward hug outside and then part ways. Matt talks about this being the end of their personal and professional relationship. This is towards the end of the book. It seems that this was Matt’s last contact with Duff.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »

wow.

I have some difficulties to evaluate relationships between all these guys,
it seems very fluctuant, and mostly driven by money and success more
than personal human feelings. and that's weird because all of them
played the most part of their lives together.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »

Huge spoilers ahead...…

- Matt and Duff are playing in South America sometime in 2015 with Hollywood Vampires. The crowd is chanting “GNR” at Matt and Duff. Matt overhears someone (doesn’t say who, not Duff) mention that GNR is reforming and coming back to play SA the next year. Matt, knowing nothing about this, gets a sick feeling that this means he won’t be involved.
- Sometime later, Matt confronts Duff about the rumor. Duff says “there have been talks” but nothing is set. Matt asks Duff to keep him in the loop with what’s going on. Matt ends up finding out about Coachella and the NITL tour when it’s announced publicly, same as the rest of the world.
- Matt and Duff meet for lunch sometime during rehearsals for the tour. Matt is upset that Duff didn’t keep him informed as he asked. Duff says Axl wants to use his own drummer but Duff is frustrated because the guy can’t play drums. Matt tells Duff he needs to go back and demand that Matt replace Frank for the tour.
- Sometime before the tour starts, Matt gets the text from Fernando that I mentioned earlier asking him to make some appearances. Matt replies, copying his own manager, that he would be interested. Fernando and Matt’s manager apparently speak and he comes back with the offer, travel expenses covered but no additional pay. Matt asks his manager to politely decline.
- Duff and Matt meet for an awkward lunch sometime after the 1st leg of NITL. Duff asks Matt why he didn’t participate. Matt is miffed that Duff didn’t reach out directly and had management do it. Duff says there would have been money involved had he participated. Matt says that a positive thing from this is that he and Izzy have reconnected. Duff seems agitated at this and says “fuck Izzy.” Matt replies “well, Izzy says fuck you too.” Duff picks at his food and then says he has to leave for rehearsal. Matt asks why they’re rehearsing between legs. Duff says “because you’re not the drummer.” A fan asks for a picture with them on the way out of the restaurant but Duff declines. Matt thinks that Duff doesn’t want Axl to see them photographed together. They have an awkward hug outside and then part ways. Matt talks about this being the end of their personal and professional relationship. This is towards the end of the book. It seems that this was Matt’s last contact with Duff.

in case you didn't see, sent you a PM

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »

Huge spoilers ahead...…

in case you didn't see, sent you a PM

Maybe I’m missing something, I don’t see how to access PMs on here anymore.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »

on the top of the page, in your user's infos box

the "Hey, LunsJail, you have x messages, x are new." line, click on the number of messages  ok

BumbleBuzz
Rocker

Guns N' Roses Strong Since 1999!

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 02:58:24 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Talkin-Jive-Stories-Revolver/dp/164160154X

I didn't realize he was quite such a fuck up with drugs and alcohol. He was a complete mess during the UYI tour, to the point of barely making it to shows because he was off partying somewhere.

That is probably the worst thing to hear as regards Steven Adler and hope that Adler does himself a favor and doesn't read this book.

I guess the thinly veiled argument here is that Adler must not have made it to the shows, where as at least Sorum did, fucked up or not.

But then this is the guy who got upset when he was referred too as an "additional musician" on the Live Era album credits, so I think he also has a huge ego. Maybe that itself is impossible when he was in this position with this band at this time, but there we go. I've heard him say a lot of this before, especially during the videos regarding this UYI tour; this seems like a further excuse to fill his wallet.

2006.06.09 - Dublin, Ireland
2006.07.29 - London, England
2010.09.01 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.17 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.23 - Newcastle, England
2017.07.17 - London, England
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 10:23:31 AM »

I'm hearing now that the book has been pulled by the publisher and isn't coming out at all.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 12:39:18 PM »

wow.

I need some epub then

DeN
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 05:52:44 PM »

Matt said it will come out in August in this new podcast from yesterday  ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLsW_Gun0_8

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »

But then this is the guy who got upset when he was referred too as an "additional musician" on the Live Era album credits, so I think he also has a huge ego. Maybe that itself is impossible when he was in this position with this band at this time, but there we go. I've heard him say a lot of this before, especially during the videos regarding this UYI tour; this seems like a further excuse to fill his wallet.

I don't blame him for that; when he was hired, in every interview Axl would go out of his way to say Matt was a real member of the band (as he has done with every new member over the years). But then, once he's gone, he was "always just a hired hand".

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: