Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227785 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Melissa Reese spotlight in the latest (June 2020) issue of Rolling Stone (USA)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Melissa Reese spotlight in the latest (June 2020) issue of Rolling Stone (USA)  (Read 13554 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: June 04, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »

There's a one page spotlight on Melissa Reese in the latest (June 2020) issue of Rolling Stone magazine (US edition).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBBIJOMsmve/

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 06:11:42 PM »

Interview? Is it out yet?

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 06:42:16 AM »

I saw it in Apple News. So I guess so.

It's just a one page little interview where she talks about joining GN'R and what she does during the shows.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »

I guess the one page thing was a preview.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/guns-n-roses-melissa-reese-interview-1003943/

It's got more words than fits on one page!  hihi

/jarmo

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »

Cool interview!

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 05:45:27 PM »

well, I won't lie, I didn't know much about Melissa before reading that.

I vaguely knew some kind of connection existed between her and Brain
(my favorite GNR drummer, period he's just amazing at all kinds of levels)
and well, she's not only the cutie elve I noticed at first but she's also very
talented, at many levels too. great asset for the band, you rock girl.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 06:11:58 PM »

Very cool interview. Melissa is talented, for sure.  ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »

Great piece.

I assume this was originally timed to go with the tour. But what if now it’s part of a PR for the new album?

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 02:49:28 AM »

Great piece.

I assume this was originally timed to go with the tour. But what if now it’s part of a PR for the new album?

She doesnt mention the new album there, but i agree with you about this may be a part of the PR for the tour. Would be cool if this is pr leadin up to the announcement of the album .

Who do you thing will be the first to reveal the album title?

Nytunz.blogspot.com

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
DeN
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 04:37:15 AM »

Who do you thing will be the first to reveal the album title?

Axl  hihi

but let's not turn this thread to another "next album" one, I think Melissa deserves better

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 05:08:06 AM »

What a great interview.

I love how Melissa and Brain exist in this bubble, and nothing seems to phase them. Melissa seems super talented as well for her age, good on her. I hope she achieves her dreams going forward.

It's interesting to hear how Axl's changed as well. One wonders if the weight of carrying the whole band on his own just took it's toll over the years. It's a shame, but glad at the same time that he seems to have found peace.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 05:44:59 AM »

It's interesting to hear how Axl's changed as well. One wonders if the weight of carrying the whole band on his own just took it's toll over the years. It's a shame, but glad at the same time that he seems to have found peace.

I think it's all about stop being frustrated for many reasons for so many years. You know, he persevered for so long with all the other musicians, trying to put out an album and touring under the gnr name but the final result obviosuly wasn't that great in many different ways and at the end of the day it was really an exhausting path. And you know what? THe best thing you can do at certain point is to take a step back, even if it costs u a lot (not talking about the money obviosuly), in order to make things easier. I know Axl as a different approach to life (day by day living ) but at a certain point in your life you look back at your past anyway and you have to answer to the question "it was worth it"?

Nice interview.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 07:08:33 AM »

Nice interview.

It should answer the question about what she does. Which is still asked by people from time to time...

/jarmo

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »

I think it's all about stop being frustrated for many reasons for so many years. You know, he persevered for so long with all the other musicians, trying to put out an album and touring under the gnr name but the final result obviosuly wasn't that great in many different ways and at the end of the day it was really an exhausting path. And you know what? THe best thing you can do at certain point is to take a step back, even if it costs u a lot (not talking about the money obviosuly), in order to make things easier. I know Axl as a different approach to life (day by day living ) but at a certain point in your life you look back at your past anyway and you have to answer to the question "it was worth it"?

Nice interview.

I agree, and stepping back has worked out great for him.

I don't see any point looking back and having regrets. You do what feels right on the day, and even if something goes wrong, so be it. Axl tried something new/different, which took a lot of years, but good on him for trying. It's just bonkers how different the world is now, how music sells, social media etc.. The mind boggles.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »

Nice interview.

It should answer the question about what she does. Which is still asked by people from time to time...

/jarmo

I always found that question puzzling. It only took the Vegas shows where we finally got some audio (that wasn't a periscope filmed on the sidewalk across from the April Fools Show) for me to see that she had an immediate impact on the vocals... lets be honest Tommy, Bumble, Pitman, and Robin Fink weren't exactly songbirds on the background vocals.

Also seeing what her and Brain were doing with the live mix stuff at basketball games and other venues, it was obvious that her and more than likely Brain had a huge impact on things like the new Better arrangement. The band is better with her.
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 12:17:27 PM »

Nice interview.

/jarmo

I always found that question puzzling. It only took the Vegas shows where we finally got some audio (that wasn't a periscope filmed on the sidewalk across from the April Fools Show) for me to see that she had an immediate impact on the vocals... lets be honest Tommy, Bumble, Pitman, and Robin Fink weren't exactly songbirds on the background vocals.

Also seeing what her and Brain were doing with the live mix stuff at basketball games and other venues, it was obvious that her and more than likely Brain had a huge impact on things like the new Better arrangement. The band is better with her.

Well if u know some music, you know exactly what she does. The real question is: should she stay on stage? I mean, she's not really "playing" anything. Many other artists have this kind of people "backstage". She does almost the same things that pitman did (probably better than pitman), and pitman was considered useless. I have nothing against the girl, she's obviously a very special & gifted musician and i can hear what she does but...it's tough for me to consider her a gnr "member" (lol) beer.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »

I have nothing against the girl, she's obviously a very special & gifted musician and i can hear what she does but...it's tough for me to consider her a gnr "member" (lol) beer.

Always nice to see some sexism on a Thursday afternoon.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 01:02:10 PM »

"I have nothing against women, but you know, they are pretty useless"

typical. still so much work to do to change mentalities  Roll Eyes

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 05:39:38 PM »

Well if u know some music, you know exactly what she does. The real question is: should she stay on stage? I mean, she's not really "playing" anything. Many other artists have this kind of people "backstage". She does almost the same things that pitman did (probably better than pitman), and pitman was considered useless. I have nothing against the girl, she's obviously a very special & gifted musician and i can hear what she does but...it's tough for me to consider her a gnr "member" (lol) beer.

Take away all of the technical things she does layering sounds and just put her on a riser next to the drummer and she fills a roll as a backup singer. Listen back to official and bootleg recordings from before she was in the band, some of the past members were like nails on a chalk board when they managed to either cut through the mix or get push forward in the mix. She is like having a less well known Lady Gaga (skill wise) sing backup for Axl. That alone makes her 10x more useful (on stage) than Chris Pitman.
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »

Great interview, Pittman was indeed fired then.
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2020, 04:26:16 AM »

I have nothing against the girl, she's obviously a very special & gifted musician and i can hear what she does but...it's tough for me to consider her a gnr "member" (lol) beer.

fuck man , read what i wrote..im talkin about the fact that she isn’t playing a fuckin instrument as well as pitman (male). Pathetic... ’sexism’ u don’t even know the meaning of the word.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:08:07 AM by ITARocker » Logged
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 04:29:08 AM »

"I have nothing against women, but you know, they are pretty useless"

typical. still so much work to do to change mentalities  Roll Eyes
another one Who can’t read... go back to school kid. This world is Full of people Who want to teach you and they can’t even read and understand simple things. Pathetic. Never said that, never thought that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:53:45 AM by ITARocker » Logged
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 04:32:48 AM »

Take away all of the technical things she does layering sounds and just put her on a riser next to the drummer and she fills a roll as a backup singer. Listen back to official and bootleg recordings from before she was in the band, some of the past members were like nails on a chalk board when they managed to either cut through the mix or get push forward in the mix. She is like having a less well known Lady Gaga (skill wise) sing backup for Axl. That alone makes her 10x more useful (on stage) than Chris Pitman.
Well my "being on stage" statement was half real half figurative  Smiley I mean..all the ‘background singers ’ in almost any band (even in gnr ... the 2 girls, zigzag) aren’t part of the band, i'm not saying she’s useless, i know exactly why they picked her...i didn’t consider pitman a part of the band too (and he wasn't useless too)...And no body is crying cause he’s gone, cause nobody can feel his absence. If Axl & co. consider melissa a part of the band it's ok, i won't cry about that. But when Finck is gone, you know he's gone. When buck is gone, you know he's gone. When steven adler steps in you know it's him and not frank. If melissa goes away, or even dizzy...well...I bet you won't notice the difference. Maybe she's even better than lady gaga, but she's not playing as lady gaga and she won't while she's playing in gnr. If elton john plays the piano instead of dizzy, he's not "elton john" he's just a complementary musician. Another example, the only time you could consider Pitman a member of the band was when his sound took over the sound of the band: in 2001 at rock in Rio III, where you can feel Axl was trying to make a lot of changes . After that, all his stuff was just about boosting and enhancing sounds, put some fills here and there etc. If you consider it to be enough to be a part of this particular band it's ok, it just doesn't work for me. Another example: was Spike Edney (keyboards and guitar) a Queen member ?? I can bring you thousands of examples Wink. On the otherside, if u remove Melissa from the brain/melissa duo...well..it's all another thing. So It depends on the position you're in. So even when Brain talks about "people who are just there to see slash" ,I can understand him from a certain point of view, but his point at the end of the day is wrong. People are not stupid and obvious things are obvious things.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:33:37 AM by ITARocker » Logged
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 08:41:01 AM »

fuck man , read what i wrote..im talkin about the fact that she isn’t playing a fuckin instrument as well as pitman (male). Pathetic... ’sexism’ u don’t even know the meaning of the word.

You infantilized a talented woman, and referred to her in the abstract rather than in the third person or by her name which it's clear you know. It's sexist.

Have a great Friday!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:43:12 AM by AdZ » Logged
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 09:36:44 AM »

You infantilized a talented woman, and referred to her in the abstract rather than in the third person or by her name which it's clear you know. It's sexist.

Have a great Friday!
Infantilized? Wtf are u talking about? this is even beyond pathetic i referred to her in the third person 6 times. U just want to read what u want. Read some book, maybe u'll learn that "she" is the feminine third-person, singular personal pronoun and that you can't fill a page of pronouns referring to the same person. Only semi-illiterates do that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:58:41 AM by ITARocker » Logged
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 10:04:19 AM »

Gotta side with ITARocker here, I didn’t read his comment as sexist.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »

Och, there's nothing bad afoot. ITA is a traditionalist, likes the band members to be people who play instruments, and Adz is defending Melissa, who does come across as talented and nice, and adds to a band in a more modern tech way and gives a fuller sound to the band. It's just different opinions, and an English grammar lesson we were never expecting.  hihi

Whatever opinions people have, the band have to be complimented on accepting Melissa like they have, like it or hate it. There are so many people in life who are in the background and they never get the recognition they deserve. It's a cool thing whatever opinion is thrown out there.
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »

Och, there's nothing bad afoot. ITA is a traditionalist, likes the band members to be people who play instruments, and Adz is defending Melissa, who does come across as talented and nice, and adds to a band in a more modern tech way and gives a fuller sound to the band. It's just different opinions, and an English grammar lesson we were never expecting.  hihi

Whatever opinions people have, the band have to be complimented on accepting Melissa like they have, like it or hate it. There are so many people in life who are in the background and they never get the recognition they deserve. It's a cool thing whatever opinion is thrown out there.

He's "defending" her (am I attacking her?) saying the thing I said are sexist, That's bullshit.

I remind you that Matt Sorum was considered an "additional musician"  hihi rofl. Were are talking about a guitar band, wanted or not (even axl brought in a third guitar when he wanted a new sound). I mean, if she played in NIN maybe i would see her more as a part of the band but in gnr to me she's a complementary musician as well as the bongo player dizzy reed, and I won't change my mind  smoking. And again, i'm not trying to debasing their role, it is what it is....to my eyes and ears at least  beer
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:49:44 PM by ITARocker » Logged
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 01:55:09 PM »

Och, there's nothing bad afoot. ITA is a traditionalist, likes the band members to be people who play instruments, and Adz is defending Melissa, who does come across as talented and nice, and adds to a band in a more modern tech way and gives a fuller sound to the band. It's just different opinions, and an English grammar lesson we were never expecting.  hihi

He's "defending" her (am I attacking her?) saying the thing I said are sexist, That's bullshit.

I remind you Matt Sorum was considered an "additional musician"  hihi rofl. Were are talking about a guitar band, wanted or not (even axl brought in a third guitar when he wanted a new sound). I mean, if she played in NIN maybe i would see her more as a part of the band but in gnr to me she's a complementary musician as well as the bongo player dizzy reed, and I won't change my mind  smoking. And again, i'm not trying to debasing their role, it is what it is....to my eyes and ears at least  beer

It was an aggressive exchange of opinions  hihi And you also just did the old thing of referring to Dizzy as bongo player. It's humour, I get it, but you'll get a Adz type slap for that when it comes to someone responding to you.

Ur old school with a bit of wit, but the band value these musicians and it is their right to do that
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »

Infantilized? Wtf are u talking about? this is even beyond pathetic i referred to her in the third person 6 times. U just want to read what u want. Read some book, maybe u'll learn that "she" is the feminine third-person, singular personal pronoun and that you can't fill a page of pronouns referring to the same person. Only semi-illiterates do that.

Okay, here is the point I am making - Sexism can be expressed in language with negative gender-oriented implications, such as condescension. For example, one may refer to a female as a "girl" rather than a "woman", implying that they are subordinate or not fully mature.

Think about your comment. If Melissa was male, I find it unlikely you would have said "Nothing against the boy, he's obviously a very special & gifted musician", right?

These things are important. I should have called you out on it differently and for that I apologize, but it's a real issue nonetheless and one that shouldn't go unremarked on.
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2020, 02:17:46 PM »

Think about your comment. If Melissa was male, I find it unlikely you would have said "Nothing against the boy, he's obviously a very special & gifted musician", right?

Wrong. I would have probably used the word "guy". And please focus on the 2 other adjectives..."very special and gifted". I mean, I have even underlined the importance of her work so wtf... You focus on a single word and build up an opinion about me just for the sake of it. You don't need to apologize, you just need to stop this fuckin witch hunt every fuckin time someone open his mouth, it's boring more than anyything else. Just contextualize, plz, stop random quoting, it's really annoying, we can't talk anymore without somebody starting his mantra "sexist,racist" etc...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 02:19:53 PM by ITARocker » Logged
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2020, 03:03:55 PM »

One has learned more about English grammar in this thread than at school  nervous I am now ready for the exam  smoking

Meanwhile, in a batcave somewhere in the US, Brain and Melissa have probably composed a nine minute mini-opera about this thread for the Superbowl next year, and a statue of Adz will be erected in Dorset next year.
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2020, 03:09:46 AM »

I like the fact that Melissa is " in in" the band as opposed to Chris Pitman who is out out....

Not sure if that works anywhere but in Britian
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 04:59:14 AM »

Okay, here is the point I am making - Sexism can be expressed in language with negative gender-oriented implications, such as condescension. For example, one may refer to a female as a "girl" rather than a "woman", implying that they are subordinate or not fully mature.

These things are important. I should have called you out on it differently and for that I apologize, but it's a real issue nonetheless and one that shouldn't go unremarked on.

I'm with ITA here as well...

If Melissa was a 27-year old-male, ate snickers and candy every minute of his life, looked and dressed like a 15-year-old and dyed his hair blue...I think ITARocker would've said "Nothing against the kid/boy as well..." and no one would've cared.

We all know Melissa is a grown woman, she's very talented and gifted, we gotta give her credit. She seems to be a hard worker as well,  but she does look like a teenager. Nothing sexist about that...but what do I know, I'm just a 44-year-old boy (who doesn't look like a teenager anymore!)

GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 05:14:01 AM »

If Melissa was a 27-year old-male, ate snickers and candy every minute of his life, looked and dressed like a 15-year-old and dyed his hair blue...I think ITARocker would've said "Nothing against the kid/boy as well..." and no one would've cared.

We all know Melissa is a grown woman, she's very talented and gifted, we gotta give her credit. She seems to be a hard worker as well,  but she does look like a teenager. Nothing sexist about that...but what do I know, I'm just a 44-year-old boy (who doesn't look like a teenager anymore!)

44-year-old man !
...or 44-year-old boy indeed but then you would like teenagers  Wink
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2020, 07:29:24 AM »

Very good points.
Funny old world now where everyone is in a competition to be offended on someone elses behalf all the time.
What ITA said was in no way, shape or form sexist and is a shame he was shown such a lack of generosity in assuming it was.
mrpukie500
Opening Act

Fernando is a lucky SOB...

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2020, 09:21:01 AM »

Anyone that doesn't think that this is sexist: "it's tough for me to consider her a gnr "member" (lol)" is not familiar with American colloquialism, or is in denial.  peace
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »

Yeah, thanks everyone for quite literally proving my point.

Back to the main topic anyway...

This is very cool, it's always interesting to hear what makes the sound 'the sound'. I knew in principle what was going on but I had no idea it was literally doubling the riff for Mr Brownstone for instance.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2020, 05:33:22 PM »

She should double Axls vocals more often so he won't sound so weak.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
sakuL
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2020, 12:54:13 PM »

haha! brutal mic drop!
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2020, 03:10:07 AM »

haha! brutal mic drop!

I was being serious. But now that I think of it, IDK if she means doubling by backing him up with her vocals or digitally doubling Axl's voice in real time.

ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2020, 03:13:19 AM »

haha! brutal mic drop!

I was being serious. But now that I think of it, IDK if she means doubling by backing him up with her vocals or digitally doubling Axl's voice in real time.

Digitally. Remember when i talked about ghost tracks, effects, autotune (or something like that) here and there and almost everybody here said "bullshit"? hihi I had even the thread moved to the dead horse by jarmo...you know...horseshit  hihi hihi

Obviously sometimes she sings with Axl peace
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:18:08 AM by ITARocker » Logged
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2020, 03:25:39 AM »

haha! brutal mic drop!

Digitally. Remember when i talked about ghost tracks, effects, autotune (or something like that) here and there and almost everybody here said "bullshit"? hihi I had even the thread moved to the dead horse by jarmo...you know...horseshit  hihi hihi

I'd love to hear the views from an audio engineer or someone with enough tech/audio background to explain what effects or autotuned (if any) is done to Axl's vocals. There is one note that Axl holds in 'Sorry where he does an operatic Ýouuuuu' that is really spectacular but at times have wondered if that was in any way assisted??

Axl was amazing in his AC DC stints nd still has moments in GNR of real vocal prowess but I did recently watch Paris 92 and have to admit that it saddened me a little. Just knowing that we all age etc. I do wonder if Axl should move more into a crooning style and that vocal style would be best suited with a more stripped back band.

As for your thoughts being moved....well, I'm not surprised sadly.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2020, 06:22:22 AM »

Did you read the article?

The gig meant she had to learn roughly 50 songs in granular detail so she could help replicate them on the stage. That includes keyboard parts along with countless tiny samples she had to create herself, like the flute flurries on “November Rain,” along with guitar parts she plays on the keyboard and various sub-bass frequencies. “I had to do an insane amount of shit, plus be able to sing backgrounds for Axl,” she says. “It’s stuff that would be hard to pick out, because I’m using sounds that are meant to enhance what’s already going on with Richard [Fortus] or another guitar part. It’s supposed to just sound bigger when I’m doing it, but it’s not supposed to stand out.”

When she sings with Axl, she doesn't like Axl, she sounds like Melissa. Just like Duff sounds like Duff. You can hear it if you listen. It's background vocals.

Effects? Yes, like an echo? Like at the end of Paradise City when he yells Good fucking night?

Maybe you saw a clip of Scraped live from like 2009 and heard Axl sing two voices at the same time and got confused. But even if that case, it's obvious which part he actually sings....

/jarmo

ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2020, 06:35:51 AM »

Did you read the article?

The gig meant she had to learn roughly 50 songs in granular detail so she could help replicate them on the stage. That includes keyboard parts along with countless tiny samples she had to create herself, like the flute flurries on “November Rain,” along with guitar parts she plays on the keyboard and various sub-bass frequencies. “I had to do an insane amount of shit, plus be able to sing backgrounds for Axl,” she says. “It’s stuff that would be hard to pick out, because I’m using sounds that are meant to enhance what’s already going on with Richard [Fortus] or another guitar part. It’s supposed to just sound bigger when I’m doing it, but it’s not supposed to stand out.”

When she sings with Axl, she doesn't like Axl, she sounds like Melissa. Just like Duff sounds like Duff. You can hear it if you listen. It's background vocals.

Effects? Yes, like an echo? Like at the end of Paradise City when he yells Good fucking night?

Maybe you saw a clip of Scraped live from like 2009 and heard Axl sing two voices at the same time and got confused. But even if that case, it's obvious which part he actually sings....

/jarmo

we are referring to what brain said, not to what melissa said. Here and there he uses effects like sustain, enhancer, delay reverbs autotune stuff Etc. Very softly mixed with axl’s voice in terms of volume or % of effects. And mainly on screams. I don’t even know if it’s Melissa or Someone in the back who control these things. But there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s pretty normal (and wise if u don’t want to destroy your voice). I see it as a positive thing and i don’t even care much about that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:37:28 AM by ITARocker » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »

we are referring to what brain said, not to what melissa said. Here and there he uses effects like sustain, enhancer, delay reverbs autotune stuff Etc. Very softly mixed with axl’s voice in terms of volume or % of effects. And mainly on screams. I don’t even know if it’s Melissa or Someone in the back who control these things. But there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s pretty normal (and wise if u don’t want to destroy your voice). I see it as a positive thing and i don’t even care much about that.

When there are effects, it's obvious. Just like when there's an effect on Slash's guitar.

When Melissa sings with Axl, it's obvious.

Yes, without Melissa, the shows wouldn't sound the same.

/jarmo

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »

[/quote] we are referring to what brain said, not to what melissa said. Here and there he uses effects like sustain, enhancer, delay reverbs autotune stuff Etc. Very softly mixed with axl’s voice in terms of volume or % of effects. And mainly on screams. I don’t even know if it’s Melissa or Someone in the back who control these things. But there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s pretty normal (and wise if u don’t want to destroy your voice). I see it as a positive thing and i don’t even care much about that.
[/quote]

I think those effects are done by the FOH sound engineer  ok
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2020, 04:37:07 AM »

I don't know, I wouldn't discount the possibility, but if it's mixed so low, how could you be so sure? Frankly, I think the fact that he does sound as weak as he does sometimes is proof that there's little if any doubling or enhancement going on, and I wish there actually were, because like you say, he needs to preserve his voice at this stage in his life.

ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2020, 05:36:53 AM »

I don't know, I wouldn't discount the possibility, but if it's mixed so low, how could you be so sure? Frankly, I think the fact that he does sound as weak as he does sometimes is proof that there's little if any doubling or enhancement going on, and I wish there actually were, because like you say, he needs to preserve his voice at this stage in his life.
i think they just mAke his voice thicker when it counts and when It’s easier to do it. he can’t fail the ‘do you know where the fuck you are’ so there his voice has to be boosted and enhanced. Or when he sings with the rasp i think they add something cause sometimes it sounds a little bit unnatural even for a falsetto/masked voice. But yeah, when he sings clean  there is not a lot of shit, probably because you will notice it and it wouldn’t sound better than it is. But overall i think there’s a 10-15% of this kind of things, probably less than sometimes it’s needed (my opinion btw)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:00:40 AM by ITARocker » Logged
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »

i think they just mAke his voice thicker when it counts and when It’s easier to do it. he can’t fail the ‘do you know where the fuck you are’ so there his voice has to be boosted and enhanced. Or when he sings with the rasp i think they add something cause sometimes it sounds a little bit unnatural even for a falsetto/masked voice. But yeah, when he sings clean  there is not a lot of shit, probably because you will notice it and it wouldn’t sound better than it is. But overall i think there’s a 10-15% of this kind of things, probably less than sometimes it’s needed (my opinion btw)

I also think he lays back for most of the set so he can reserve his power for those moments though. The human voice is a weird thing. I Mean, look at him with AC/DC. In certain registers, he still has good power and rasp. I think the screams in Jungle and LALD just happen to be in the right register for him. I also think his rasp sounds weird at times because his voice has been damaged and when you keep pushing it beyond the limit, the rasp will turn into more of a croak. It's true for my voice, and I've heard it in Axl and felt the pain in my throat for him. He's never developed a truly healthy singing style.

But again, I don't discount the possibility, I just think it's unlikely they would be subtle about it, seeing how the photoshopping of official photos has not been particularly subtle...

It would be great if somebody could develop a digital effect to mimic rasp...

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 06:28:50 PM »

I also think he lays back for most of the set so he can reserve his power for those moments though. The human voice is a weird thing. I Mean, look at him with AC/DC. In certain registers, he still has good power and rasp. I think the screams in Jungle and LALD just happen to be in the right register for him. I also think his rasp sounds weird at times because his voice has been damaged and when you keep pushing it beyond the limit, the rasp will turn into more of a croak. It's true for my voice, and I've heard it in Axl and felt the pain in my throat for him. He's never developed a truly healthy singing style.

But again, I don't discount the possibility, I just think it's unlikely they would be subtle about it, seeing how the photoshopping of official photos has not been particularly subtle...

It would be great if somebody could develop a digital effect to mimic rasp...

If you use a digital effect to add rasp it's pretty much over. Either that or move on to a different musical style, more crooning and using a more natural timbre
I certainly don't want to see a live show where the singer can't sing the songs properly and needs to entirely manipulate the voice.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2020, 01:21:53 AM »

If you use a digital effect to add rasp it's pretty much over. Either that or move on to a different musical style, more crooning and using a more natural timbre
I certainly don't want to see a live show where the singer can't sing the songs properly and needs to entirely manipulate the voice.

Well that's pretty silly. In fact, singing with rasp is singing IMproperly. Ask any vocal coach. It's not healthy. So unless you want all of your favorite singers to lose their voices, you should welcome such a thing. That way, they can just use their natural rasp in the studio for the most authentic sound on the record. It's pretty absurd to call adding an effect "entirely manipulating the voice". You wouldn't say a guitarist using reverb or distortion "can't play properly" and is "entirely manipulating his playing"...

Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: