Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Melissa Reese spotlight in the latest (June 2020) issue of Rolling Stone (USA)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Melissa Reese spotlight in the latest (June 2020) issue of Rolling Stone (USA)  (Read 13528 times)
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2020, 03:10:07 AM »

She should double Axls vocals more often so he won't sound so weak.

haha! brutal mic drop!

I was being serious. But now that I think of it, IDK if she means doubling by backing him up with her vocals or digitally doubling Axl's voice in real time.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2020, 03:13:19 AM »

haha! brutal mic drop!

I was being serious. But now that I think of it, IDK if she means doubling by backing him up with her vocals or digitally doubling Axl's voice in real time.

Digitally. Remember when i talked about ghost tracks, effects, autotune (or something like that) here and there and almost everybody here said "bullshit"? hihi I had even the thread moved to the dead horse by jarmo...you know...horseshit  hihi hihi

Obviously sometimes she sings with Axl peace
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:18:08 AM by ITARocker » Logged
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2020, 03:25:39 AM »

haha! brutal mic drop!

Digitally. Remember when i talked about ghost tracks, effects, autotune (or something like that) here and there and almost everybody here said "bullshit"? hihi I had even the thread moved to the dead horse by jarmo...you know...horseshit  hihi hihi

I'd love to hear the views from an audio engineer or someone with enough tech/audio background to explain what effects or autotuned (if any) is done to Axl's vocals. There is one note that Axl holds in 'Sorry where he does an operatic Ýouuuuu' that is really spectacular but at times have wondered if that was in any way assisted??

Axl was amazing in his AC DC stints nd still has moments in GNR of real vocal prowess but I did recently watch Paris 92 and have to admit that it saddened me a little. Just knowing that we all age etc. I do wonder if Axl should move more into a crooning style and that vocal style would be best suited with a more stripped back band.

As for your thoughts being moved....well, I'm not surprised sadly.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2020, 06:22:22 AM »

Did you read the article?

The gig meant she had to learn roughly 50 songs in granular detail so she could help replicate them on the stage. That includes keyboard parts along with countless tiny samples she had to create herself, like the flute flurries on “November Rain,” along with guitar parts she plays on the keyboard and various sub-bass frequencies. “I had to do an insane amount of shit, plus be able to sing backgrounds for Axl,” she says. “It’s stuff that would be hard to pick out, because I’m using sounds that are meant to enhance what’s already going on with Richard [Fortus] or another guitar part. It’s supposed to just sound bigger when I’m doing it, but it’s not supposed to stand out.”

When she sings with Axl, she doesn't like Axl, she sounds like Melissa. Just like Duff sounds like Duff. You can hear it if you listen. It's background vocals.

Effects? Yes, like an echo? Like at the end of Paradise City when he yells Good fucking night?

Maybe you saw a clip of Scraped live from like 2009 and heard Axl sing two voices at the same time and got confused. But even if that case, it's obvious which part he actually sings....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2020, 06:35:51 AM »

Did you read the article?

The gig meant she had to learn roughly 50 songs in granular detail so she could help replicate them on the stage. That includes keyboard parts along with countless tiny samples she had to create herself, like the flute flurries on “November Rain,” along with guitar parts she plays on the keyboard and various sub-bass frequencies. “I had to do an insane amount of shit, plus be able to sing backgrounds for Axl,” she says. “It’s stuff that would be hard to pick out, because I’m using sounds that are meant to enhance what’s already going on with Richard [Fortus] or another guitar part. It’s supposed to just sound bigger when I’m doing it, but it’s not supposed to stand out.”

When she sings with Axl, she doesn't like Axl, she sounds like Melissa. Just like Duff sounds like Duff. You can hear it if you listen. It's background vocals.

Effects? Yes, like an echo? Like at the end of Paradise City when he yells Good fucking night?

Maybe you saw a clip of Scraped live from like 2009 and heard Axl sing two voices at the same time and got confused. But even if that case, it's obvious which part he actually sings....

/jarmo

we are referring to what brain said, not to what melissa said. Here and there he uses effects like sustain, enhancer, delay reverbs autotune stuff Etc. Very softly mixed with axl’s voice in terms of volume or % of effects. And mainly on screams. I don’t even know if it’s Melissa or Someone in the back who control these things. But there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s pretty normal (and wise if u don’t want to destroy your voice). I see it as a positive thing and i don’t even care much about that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:37:28 AM by ITARocker » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »

we are referring to what brain said, not to what melissa said. Here and there he uses effects like sustain, enhancer, delay reverbs autotune stuff Etc. Very softly mixed with axl’s voice in terms of volume or % of effects. And mainly on screams. I don’t even know if it’s Melissa or Someone in the back who control these things. But there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s pretty normal (and wise if u don’t want to destroy your voice). I see it as a positive thing and i don’t even care much about that.

When there are effects, it's obvious. Just like when there's an effect on Slash's guitar.

When Melissa sings with Axl, it's obvious.

Yes, without Melissa, the shows wouldn't sound the same.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »

[/quote] we are referring to what brain said, not to what melissa said. Here and there he uses effects like sustain, enhancer, delay reverbs autotune stuff Etc. Very softly mixed with axl’s voice in terms of volume or % of effects. And mainly on screams. I don’t even know if it’s Melissa or Someone in the back who control these things. But there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s pretty normal (and wise if u don’t want to destroy your voice). I see it as a positive thing and i don’t even care much about that.
[/quote]

I think those effects are done by the FOH sound engineer  ok
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2020, 04:37:07 AM »

I don't know, I wouldn't discount the possibility, but if it's mixed so low, how could you be so sure? Frankly, I think the fact that he does sound as weak as he does sometimes is proof that there's little if any doubling or enhancement going on, and I wish there actually were, because like you say, he needs to preserve his voice at this stage in his life.

ITARocker
VIP

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2020, 05:36:53 AM »

I don't know, I wouldn't discount the possibility, but if it's mixed so low, how could you be so sure? Frankly, I think the fact that he does sound as weak as he does sometimes is proof that there's little if any doubling or enhancement going on, and I wish there actually were, because like you say, he needs to preserve his voice at this stage in his life.
i think they just mAke his voice thicker when it counts and when It’s easier to do it. he can’t fail the ‘do you know where the fuck you are’ so there his voice has to be boosted and enhanced. Or when he sings with the rasp i think they add something cause sometimes it sounds a little bit unnatural even for a falsetto/masked voice. But yeah, when he sings clean  there is not a lot of shit, probably because you will notice it and it wouldn’t sound better than it is. But overall i think there’s a 10-15% of this kind of things, probably less than sometimes it’s needed (my opinion btw)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:00:40 AM by ITARocker » Logged
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »

i think they just mAke his voice thicker when it counts and when It’s easier to do it. he can’t fail the ‘do you know where the fuck you are’ so there his voice has to be boosted and enhanced. Or when he sings with the rasp i think they add something cause sometimes it sounds a little bit unnatural even for a falsetto/masked voice. But yeah, when he sings clean  there is not a lot of shit, probably because you will notice it and it wouldn’t sound better than it is. But overall i think there’s a 10-15% of this kind of things, probably less than sometimes it’s needed (my opinion btw)

I also think he lays back for most of the set so he can reserve his power for those moments though. The human voice is a weird thing. I Mean, look at him with AC/DC. In certain registers, he still has good power and rasp. I think the screams in Jungle and LALD just happen to be in the right register for him. I also think his rasp sounds weird at times because his voice has been damaged and when you keep pushing it beyond the limit, the rasp will turn into more of a croak. It's true for my voice, and I've heard it in Axl and felt the pain in my throat for him. He's never developed a truly healthy singing style.

But again, I don't discount the possibility, I just think it's unlikely they would be subtle about it, seeing how the photoshopping of official photos has not been particularly subtle...

It would be great if somebody could develop a digital effect to mimic rasp...

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 06:28:50 PM »

I also think he lays back for most of the set so he can reserve his power for those moments though. The human voice is a weird thing. I Mean, look at him with AC/DC. In certain registers, he still has good power and rasp. I think the screams in Jungle and LALD just happen to be in the right register for him. I also think his rasp sounds weird at times because his voice has been damaged and when you keep pushing it beyond the limit, the rasp will turn into more of a croak. It's true for my voice, and I've heard it in Axl and felt the pain in my throat for him. He's never developed a truly healthy singing style.

But again, I don't discount the possibility, I just think it's unlikely they would be subtle about it, seeing how the photoshopping of official photos has not been particularly subtle...

It would be great if somebody could develop a digital effect to mimic rasp...

If you use a digital effect to add rasp it's pretty much over. Either that or move on to a different musical style, more crooning and using a more natural timbre
I certainly don't want to see a live show where the singer can't sing the songs properly and needs to entirely manipulate the voice.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2020, 01:21:53 AM »

If you use a digital effect to add rasp it's pretty much over. Either that or move on to a different musical style, more crooning and using a more natural timbre
I certainly don't want to see a live show where the singer can't sing the songs properly and needs to entirely manipulate the voice.

Well that's pretty silly. In fact, singing with rasp is singing IMproperly. Ask any vocal coach. It's not healthy. So unless you want all of your favorite singers to lose their voices, you should welcome such a thing. That way, they can just use their natural rasp in the studio for the most authentic sound on the record. It's pretty absurd to call adding an effect "entirely manipulating the voice". You wouldn't say a guitarist using reverb or distortion "can't play properly" and is "entirely manipulating his playing"...

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: