Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Greatest Hits to be released on vinyl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest Hits to be released on vinyl  (Read 8823 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: July 31, 2020, 10:25:37 AM »

LOS ANGELES, CA –July 31, 2020 – On September 25, 2020, Guns N’ Roses’ 2004, multi-platinum best of compilation Greatest Hits (Geffen/UMe) will be released on vinyl for the first time. Previously only available digitally and on CD, Greatest Hits will be pressed as a 2LP set on 180gram audiophile black vinyl and an exclusive 2LP set on gold colored vinyl with red and white splatter. The vinyl edition of Greatest Hits will also feature the band’s single “Shadow of Your Love,” which hit No. 5 on the Mainstream Rock chart. Originally recorded in December 1986, “Shadow of Your Love” made its debut on the 2018 box set Appetite For Destruction.

In 2004, Greatest Hits reached No. 3 on the Billboard 200 and in 2007 hit No. 1 on the Catalog Albums chart. Featuring all eight of the band’s Top 40 Billboard Hot 100 tracks (six of them RIAA-certified “gold,” i.e., sales of more than 500,000 units), Greatest Hits spans the group’s five album releases, including their cover of the Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy For The Devil” for the 1995 film Interview With The Vampire.

The first full-length album from Guns N’ Roses, 1987’s Appetite For Destruction, is one of the most popular hard rock albums in history and has been on the Billboard Top 200 albums or Top Pop Catalog chart for a total of 746 weeks. Certified 18 times platinum in the U.S., Appetite For Destruction charted No. 1 for five weeks and includes three Top 10s: the anthem “Welcome To The Jungle” (No. 7), the frenzied rocker “Paradise City” (No. 5) plus their platinum selling No. 1 single “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” The video for “Sweet Child O’ Mine” recently hit over 1 billion views on YouTube.

1988’s G N’R Lies, comprised of songs from the group’s independently-released 1986 EP Live?!*@Like A Suicide plus new studio recordings, followed Appetite For Destruction up the charts, peaking at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. The Grammy®-nominated album (for Best Hard Rock Performance) was five times platinum (each platinum level connotes sales of more than one million units) and claimed the gold No. 4-charting ballad “Patience.”

Then, on September 17, 1991, with one of the most anticipated releases ever in music, both Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II debuted. Use Your Illusion I featured two gold singles with “November Rain” (No. 3) and “Don’t Cry” (No. 10) plus another Top 40 with “Live And Let Die” (No. 33). Use Your Illusion II boasted another gold hit with the previously-released single “You Could Be Mine” (No. 29), heard in the film Terminator II: Judgement Day. Each of the Use Your Illusion albums went seven times platinum with Use Your Illusion I going to No. 2 and Use Your Illusion II hitting No. 1. Use Your Illusion I was Grammy® nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance as was the Wings cover “Live And Let Die.” Greatest Hits also culls from II “Yesterdays,” “Civil War” and GN’R’s take on Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door.” Both Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II have sold over seven million copies to date.

A collection of Guns N’ Roses covers of classic, mainly punk, songs that had influenced the bandmembers since their early days, 1993’s The Spaghetti Incident? hit No. 4 and is certified platinum. Included on Greatest Hits are its renditions of The Dead Boys’ 1978 track “Ain’t It Fun” and an unlikely cover of The Skyliners’ ‘50s doo-wop gem “Since I Don’t Have You.”

Tracks

LP1 – Side G
1 Welcome To The Jungle
2 Sweet Child O’ Mine
3 Shadow Of Your Love
4 Patience

LP1 – Side N
1 Paradise City
2 Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
3 Civil War

LP2 – Side F’N
1 You Could Be Mine
2 Don’t Cry (Original Version)
3 November Rain
4 Live And Let Die

LP2 – Side R
1 Yesterdays
2 Ain’t It Fun
3 Since I Don’t Have You
4 Sympathy For The Devil

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
crthiel
Headliner

Hello Time bomb

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »

So is the splatter vinyl exclusive only to the EU or something? It's not in the US store.
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »

So is the splatter vinyl exclusive only to the EU or something? It's not in the US store.

So there are 4 releases that I am aware of:

The standard black

Picture discs (both of these still available at the gnr online store)

A gray, white, and red splatter vinyl from Walmart; can find it on their online store

A gold, white, and red platter vinyl available in the UK; here is one site that had it (sold out now): https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/recordstore/Greatest-Hits-Gold-White-Red-Splatter-Vinyl/6MT90000000

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »

Didnt see this coming.

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »

The standard black

A gray, white, and red splatter vinyl from Walmart; can find it on their online store

A gold, white, and red platter vinyl available in the UK; here is one site that had it (sold out now): https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/recordstore/Greatest-Hits-Gold-White-Red-Splatter-Vinyl/6MT90000000

Dumb question of the day....... What exactly is a picture disk?  

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »

Instead of a black vinyl disc, it's got a picture on it instead.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 09:27:49 PM »

The standard black

https://gnrmerch.com/collections/greatest-hits/products/greatest-hits-picture-disc?variant=31845067161698

One disc has the bullet logo on it, the other has a live pic of band members, presumably Axl, Slash, and Duff, maybe just Axl and Slash, maybe just Slash, hard to see

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 07:55:00 AM »

Rhetorical question: Wonder if this release is with or without the band's consent this time around??  Lips Sealed

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 08:21:01 AM »

Rhetorical question: Wonder if this release is with or without the band's consent this time around??  Lips Sealed

The answer is: Yes. Definitely one of them.  Tongue  hihi

/jarmo

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »

So we are getting something no one asked for.  ok

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
cineater
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 11:25:41 PM »

So we are getting something no one asked for.  ok

dejuv?  Just waiting for somebody to leak the album and force the label to stop stringing GNR along?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 12:02:28 AM »

Does the greatest hits release count towards an album?  Meaning GnR has fulfilled their contract obligations, or does it need to be a new album release?

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 12:58:20 AM »

Does the greatest hits release count towards an album?  Meaning GnR has fulfilled their contract obligations, or does it need to be a new album release?

Im pretty sure when it was released in 2004 it counted for the label. This 2020 release is just a "new" format from that same 2004 album.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 05:54:42 AM »

Yeah. I could be wrong but live albums and compilations are often part of the deal. It's specified in the contract that the record company has the right to release one.

/jarmo

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 11:37:24 AM »

Yeah. I could be wrong but live albums and compilations are often part of the deal. It's specified in the contract that the record company has the right to release one.

/jarmo

I think it all depends on your record deal but live albums and compilations are extras and don't fulfill your actual contract.  For example, if you have a 5 album deal, the label wants 5 albums of original material.  Double albums usually only count as 1 towards a deal.  Green Day released 3 separate albums on the same day a few years back and I remember them talking about how it only counted as 1 album towards their record deal.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 01:18:50 PM »

Yes. That's what I meant. Smiley

It seems to be that compilation albums are on top of the albums of original material.

Also, might explain why some artists have multiple "best of" albums out. Their record companies are probably free to release them since it says so in the contract....

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 06:23:49 AM »

The vinyl release entered the UK vinyl chart at #3.

/jarmo

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »

Optimistically hoping that this release is a way of shoring up funds for the new album 🤞

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »

Also re-entered the UK physical albums chart at #9. I'm guessing that must be mostly due to the sales of the vinyl.

/jarmo

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 10:38:53 PM »

I think it all depends on your record deal but live albums and compilations are extras and don't fulfill your actual contract.  For example, if you have a 5 album deal, the label wants 5 albums of original material.  Double albums usually only count as 1 towards a deal.  

It definitely depends on your record deal.  It was revealed in the 2pac movie "All Eyez on Me" that the double album (of the same title) counted as 2 albums towards 2pac's contract of 3 with Death Row.

On another note, the RIAA counts both discs when certifying albums as Gold and Platinum.  For instance, Guns N Roses' live album "Live Era" was certified Gold (500,000 copies) in the U.S. after selling 250,000 copies of the dual album.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:43:37 PM by Bridge » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: