Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Hard Skool IS OUT!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard Skool IS OUT!  (Read 32479 times)
cineater
Legend

« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2021, 12:32:29 AM »

It's great to see you guys gathering your ammunition, taking shots at each other.   It's so endearing that you care about this band no matter what your opinion. 

Just wanted to say it's good to see you all.   Cheesy

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2021, 11:58:17 AM »

I can see why people would bitch about Absurd. It's very different from that old GNR feel, and frankly it's not a good song. Off course, it's a matter of taste, but to me it sounds too unidimensional and simple.

Hard Skool, however, has all the classic elements that we all love about Guns n Roses. Classic Axl vocals, Duff's Bass, great guitar work from Slash, both riffwise and solo wise. The only downside for me is the drumming, but it's not bad at all, but could be better.

To me Hard Skool could easily be on the Illusions albuns. It's better than Right Next Door to Hell, Shotgun Blues and I like it even more than Perfect Crime.

And again, bitching about how it's an old song just shows complete ignorance about the band's history.
Derick
Headliner

« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2021, 12:44:44 PM »

And again, bitching about how it's an old song just shows complete ignorance about the band's history.
I agree. Furthermore, it shows extreme ignorance about the concept of art. Art is timeless, if you use a time chronology to judge how bad a song is, you're ignoring everything about it. Do not like a song is a natural thing and it can happen to any of us, it's not because we're fans that, necessarily, everything about the band pleases us. But to use the timeline to justify a criticism about a song is to ignore the concept of art, is to deprive us of enjoying something that could be good.IMO.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2021, 02:51:39 PM »

I can see why people would bitch about Absurd. It's very different from that old GNR feel, and frankly it's not a good song. Off course, it's a matter of taste, but to me it sounds too unidimensional and simple.

It sounded like CD era GNR, which 99% of the people rejected out of hand.

Just poll your own friends.  One song got the turned up nose, one got the thumbs up.  Why?  One sounds like what people expect Guns N' Roses to sound like, and the other does not.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #204 on: October 03, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »

The fact is they are outtakes

No, they are not outtakes. What the public may think of as the "Chinese Democracy sessions" were actually the sessions for more than one album. Use Your Illusion II isn't the outtakes from Use your Illusion I. Two albums were worked on at the same time.

Same thing with Absurd & Hard Skool. They are not b-sides from Chinese Democracy. They are songs that were being worked on for release after Chinese Democracy. No different than several of UYI's biggest hits having been written years before Appetite was even released.
crazycanadian
Opening Act

« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »

Awesome Tune🤘Hope there's more to come.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2021, 12:28:33 PM »

Still digging it. I've heard this is a CD era song redone, and I've heard that it dates back to 95 or 96.

Which is it?

It's actually climbing the charts, and deservedly so. A good rock song. UYI era vibes for sure.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2021, 07:53:21 PM »

Still digging it. I've heard this is a CD era song redone, and I've heard that it dates back to 95 or 96.

Which is it?

It's actually climbing the charts, and deservedly so. A good rock song. UYI era vibes for sure.

Pure speculation off the simple fact of a working title it had at one point. I say it's clearly CD-lineup songwriting style. Slash writes riffs, whereas this song was built around chords and Slash had to retrofit a riff into it.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
axlroses
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2021, 11:17:12 PM »

I don’t care when and where this song originated…I love it and that is all that matters to me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2021, 03:54:25 AM »

I don’t care when and where this song originated…I love it and that is all that matters to me.

Exactly.  beer

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2021, 11:30:40 PM »

Yeah it does rock, but that's a bit shortsighted. The biggest mystery with Gn'R is what in the hell happened in the writing process from 1994 to 1996 before Slash quit.

Was this one of those songs? It would be cool to know. I mean like you know they had things banging around. Would love to know if this was one of them.

But don't damn me
axlroses
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2021, 03:02:23 AM »

Not shortsighted at all…I would love to hear how everything came together, but the important thing is it is out and things seem to be trending in the right direction for more music.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »

Hard skool question on italian tv Grin https://youtu.be/HGM5Xjo0dps
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2021, 06:00:30 PM »

Yeah it does rock, but that's a bit shortsighted. The biggest mystery with Gn'R is what in the hell happened in the writing process from 1994 to 1996 before Slash quit.

Was this one of those songs? It would be cool to know. I mean like you know they had things banging around. Would love to know if this was one of them.

I get the impression that not even a single song was fully written. They were almost never together in the studio at the same time by that point. Slash was with Snakepit for most of '94 and '95, and then when he quit officially, Axl released a statement that he'd not been in the band for a year at that point.  Huh

And didn't Slash basically say that what they came up with at that time was uninspired anyway?

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Derick
Headliner

« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2021, 07:23:01 PM »

Haha...That’s kool!!!!! smoking
cineater
Legend

« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2021, 09:08:15 PM »

What did he win for getting that answer correct?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »

Any of you hear the radio edit of  “Hard Skool” yet?  I heard it on the radio yesterday, probably clocks in under 3 minutes, sounds like parts of the intro, Slash’s  solos and interlude were all shortened.  I liked it, hope that version comes out on Spotify too at some point. 
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2021, 07:26:18 AM »

I did not. apparently some radios plays it since two months now, and Duff played it as well on his radio show (?)

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2021, 08:40:21 AM »

They have a top 10 hit with it on the mainstream rock charts.

Very cool.

But don't damn me
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2021, 12:21:55 PM »

Has anyone received their Hard Skool trucker hat? I deleted my confirmation email.... oops.  I noticed it's not on the store's website, don't know if they cancelled it or not.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: