Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new material update...or lack there of
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new material update...or lack there of  (Read 40810 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #280 on: December 02, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »

I've seen people post travel videos where they have muted the audio if a famous song is playing somewhere (like out of a store, or performed by some street performer etc.). Just to avoid copyright issues.

/jarmo

Guns N Roses though (whether the band or the label) are notorious for going after YouTubers... For instance you have people like vocal coaches, guitar teachers, General Music sites... That cover hundreds of artists, but GnR are the one band that they either refuse to touch all together, or they need to cut it up into snippets of a specific vocal track that can't also include the music. In almost all cases they (the YouTuber) are perfectly happy to non monetize that video and allow the band/label to monetize it. BUT GnR just gives them a strike and forces it's removal.

Rick Beato is one that won't touch them, which is a shame because his "What Makes This Song Great" series is really interesting to watch. He breaks down the way the song was written, gets deep into music theory, recording info like how and why they did things a certain way. He's done notoriously "hard to work with" bands like Led Zeppelin and Metallica with their full tracked out studio recordings, but can't do GnR.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 11:55:09 AM by C0ma » Logged
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

I find this really strange. For years Guns tutned a blind eye to fanshot vids and bootlegs. A few years ago that seemed to change drastically. Which sucks quite frankly.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #282 on: December 02, 2021, 12:18:56 PM »

Guns N Roses though (whether the band or the label) are notorious for going after YouTubers... For instance you have people like vocal coaches, guitar teachers, General Music sites... That cover hundreds of artists, but GnR are the one band that they either refuse to touch all together, or they need to cut it up into snippets of a specific vocal track that can't also include the music. In almost all cases they (the YouTuber) are perfectly happy to non monetize that video and allow the band/label to monetize it. BUT GnR just gives them a strike and forces it's removal.

Rick Beato is one that won't touch them, which is a shame because his "What Makes This Song Great" series is really interesting to watch. He breaks down the way the song was written, gets deep into music theory, recording info like how and why they did things a certain way. He's done notoriously "hard to work with" bands like Led Zeppelin and Metallica with their full tracked out studio recordings, but can't do GnR.

Some bootlegs, I can understand the record company wanting to remove. Like when the AFD re-issue was coming out.

But then when it's studio recordings, covers etc., makes you wonder if it's due to licensing issues between Youtube/Google and the record company.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #283 on: December 02, 2021, 07:28:18 PM »

The answer seems simple to me, Axl doesn't care to go through the process of creating new music from scratch anymore.  Perhaps the process of making CD turned him off to doing it ever again.  Not saying this couldn't change in the future, but its clearly been this way for a long time.

That being said, this must be accepted.  Wishing for something is one thing, but let it go.  Enjoy what we do get with reworked songs.  Hopefully we'll get more.  One day, maybe the wish will come true, but it until then, let it go.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #284 on: December 02, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »

Cowboys-Saints game just advertised the debut of a new video for 'Hard Skool' dropping tomorrow on the NFL morning show.

Holy shit.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #285 on: December 03, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »

Some bootlegs, I can understand the record company wanting to remove. Like when the AFD re-issue was coming out.

But then when it's studio recordings, covers etc., makes you wonder if it's due to licensing issues between Youtube/Google and the record company.....

/jarmo

I fully buy into getting leaks and rough demo's of unreleased music off YouTube. I can even see going after say the Boston footage of Absurd knowing what the plans were just a few days later... Let the Studio version get the attention it deserves before the first ever live performance gets analyzed a million different ways based on a cell phone recording in the oldest ballpark in America...

Having said that it's the trouble the band/label goes through with the Beato videos, or the vocal coaches that take the tracks to instruct you on how Axl sings something or how you can sing like him... VERY VERY rarely are those being presented in a negative light. Even the "Rap fan reacts to (fill in the rock band)" videos have value in pointing people that may not know the band outside of "the song that plays during NFL kickoffs". I just don't understand the motive in removing it. YouTube actually gives the band/label the full authority to monetize the video for themselves. People like Rick have said they are fine not monetizing those videos and just getting their "expertise" that they are trying to share out there.

It just seems like there is an unhealthy amount of energy put into what become negative fan experiences/reactions.

Having said that, bring down the weight of the world on leakers... but what does Rick telling people how good November Rain is, or how interesting the change in Rocket Queen is from a Music theory prospective do to hurt the band? Shouldn't they be fostering a furthering of music and not trying to squash people sharing the knowledge with GnR fans?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #286 on: December 03, 2021, 04:44:17 PM »

But that's the thing, I don't know the legal /contract side of things.

It's the right of the owner of the material to decide what should be out in the public domain.

Not that it's the same thing at all, but occasionally songs/albums disappear from Spotify only to reappear later. It's all a mystery to me why it happens...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #287 on: December 03, 2021, 05:57:33 PM »

But that's the thing, I don't know the legal /contract side of things.

It's the right of the owner of the material to decide what should be out in the public domain.

Not that it's the same thing at all, but occasionally songs/albums disappear from Spotify only to reappear later. It's all a mystery to me why it happens...

/jarmo

I get that totally… BUT like everything else, this seems to only be a problem of this magnitude with this band. There are bands that share a label with GnR that have their music all over YouTube, but most of these content creators specifically mention GnR when talking about the difficulty some bands cause.

Who knows… they apparently have very unique challenges that other bands don’t.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #288 on: December 03, 2021, 06:10:10 PM »

AC/DC is very much the same way. They were old school and refused to put their music on iTunes for a while, but eventually relented. As I understand they are still very hard for Beato and reaction Youtubers to deal with. I doubt the bands themselves are dictating that reactions shouldn't be allowed or anything of that specificity. I'd be surprised if they even know about reaction videos. They probably just give a general edict to be strong on piracy and its the label that takes it to such an extent in reality. They actually do the monitoring and takedowns, after all.

In fact, I've heard Youtubers who had personal relationships with artists say that they simply asked and got their videos reinstated because the artist their self had no problem with it.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2021, 06:00:04 PM »

A bit of topic, but it kinda shows how things have changed nowadays...

The Beatles: Get Back is a must watch documentary. I love the Beatles, they wrote so many great songs...

Get Back is mainly about a band getting together at the studio, trying to write and record an album in just three weeks, personal differences aside.

This is how Paul came with the melody, chorus and riff of one of their most famous songs in less than two minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kOQ5sgzhRA&t=153s

Now fast forward 52 years...what if Axl, Slash and Duff spent three weeks together in the same room to write and record an album? Just three weeks of "fuck it, let's just fucking do it and see what happens..."

It'd be awesome if they filmed the entire experiment too.

I know Axl is a huge Beatles fan and I'm pretty sure he's watched the documentary...

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2021, 06:10:17 PM »

A bit of topic, but it kinda shows how things have changed nowadays...

The Beatles: Get Back is a must watch documentary. I love the Beatles, they wrote so many great songs...

Get Back is mainly about a band getting together at the studio, trying to write and record an album in just three weeks, personal differences aside.

This is how Paul came with the melody, chorus and riff of one of their most famous songs in less than two minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kOQ5sgzhRA&t=153s

Now fast forward 52 years...what if Axl, Slash and Duff spent three weeks together in the same room to write and record an album? Just three weeks of "fuck it, let's just fucking do it and see what happens..."

It'd be awesome if they filmed the entire experiment too.

I know Axl is a huge Beatles fan and I'm pretty sure he's watched the documentary...

Beatles ...awesome talent in that room (Not Yoko  hihi)

But I get your point - and agree - sometimes just have fun and let your guard down a little
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2021, 06:49:05 PM »

Easier said than done.

However, sometimes a deadline is what you really need. I suffer from a lack of a deadline the same way Axl seems to.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2021, 09:47:43 PM »

The answer seems simple to me, Axl doesn't care to go through the process of creating new music from scratch anymore.  Perhaps the process of making CD turned him off to doing it ever again.  Not saying this couldn't change in the future, but its clearly been this way for a long time.

That being said, this must be accepted.  Wishing for something is one thing, but let it go.  Enjoy what we do get with reworked songs.  Hopefully we'll get more.  One day, maybe the wish will come true, but it until then, let it go.

TESTIFY

Why people fight this, I will never know.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2021, 11:23:37 PM »

TESTIFY

Give me some Axl quotes on this.  Where's the facts to back that opinion? 

Accept that you've been talking to yourself and that you have read on GNR boards.   I'd let that opinion go.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2021, 04:25:42 AM »

TESTIFY

Give me some Axl quotes on this.  Where's the facts to back that opinion? 

Accept that you've been talking to yourself and that you have read on GNR boards.   I'd let that opinion go.

Exactly.

The old "I think that, therefore it's a fact" mentality strikes again. Wink

Oh yeah, and also the "Well he hasn't done it so it must not interest him. The actions speak for themselves" excuse.

At the end of the day, they know close to nothing about what he actually wants.... For people who like to think they know it all, that must hurt a bit....

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »

Give me some Axl quotes on this.  Where's the facts to back that opinion?  

Accept that you've been talking to yourself and that you have read on GNR boards.   I'd let that opinion go.

We all get why Jarmo feels the needs to circle the wagons to fight the sheer injustice of it all when people so much as notice Axl doesn't seem terribly interested in creating new music.

But, seriously guy...what's your angle?  Where's your payoff??

I think the past 5 years have been a great time to be a GNR fan.  Got probably the best rock tour of that time period out of anyone out there.  Got 2 "new" songs, depending on how you choose to define the term.  And everyone on that stage seems to be having a good time with all this.  Probably no more so than Axl, which is amazing to see, given his history.

These are all good things, great things, even.  These past 5 years have kicked the ever loving shit out of what we went through the prior 20.

But this constant "HOW DARE YOU" and "YOU GOD SOME BALLS, MISTER" when it comes to the calling out the clear lack of this current band creating anything brand spankin' new is laughable.  And walking it's way right up to being completely embarrassing.  Right on that border.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2021, 10:05:37 AM »

Exactly.

The old "I think that, therefore it's a fact" mentality strikes again. Wink

Oh yeah, and also the "Well he hasn't done it so it must not interest him. The actions speak for themselves" excuse.

At the end of the day, they know close to nothing about what he actually wants.... For people who like to think they know it all, that must hurt a bit....

Again, when I'm proven wrong, we will all have a big laugh.  The next round will be on me.

Until that time, I will continue to spike the football on this aspect of their operation.  Because there is zero to refute my claims and PLENTY of evidence that I am more than simply on the right track.

Let's hope I'm wrong.  Shit...*I* hope I'm wrong.

But I doubt it.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2021, 11:48:59 AM »

The reality is that you're never wrong.... In your own opinion.

Let me just give you an example:

"They'll never release new music, they just wanna tour!"

Band releases two singles

"But those songs are old! They don't wanna write new material!"

They could be writing a song at this moment, save it for later, and once they released it, you could always say "but the song is old"....

Always an excuse not to be wrong.  ok

I've been wrong numerous times. I'll admit it. I don't know everything. Occasionally I'm wrong. Sometimes I guess wrong, it happens. I don't really care if people believe me or not. Everyone's got an opinion....

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »

Give me some Axl quotes on this.  Where's the facts to back that opinion?  

Accept that you've been talking to yourself and that you have read on GNR boards.   I'd let that opinion go.

We all get why Jarmo feels the needs to circle the wagons to fight the sheer injustice of it all when people so much as notice Axl doesn't seem terribly interested in creating new music.

But, seriously guy...what's your angle?  Where's your payoff??

I think the past 5 years have been a great time to be a GNR fan.  Got probably the best rock tour of that time period out of anyone out there.  Got 2 "new" songs, depending on how you choose to define the term.  And everyone on that stage seems to be having a good time with all this.  Probably no more so than Axl, which is amazing to see, given his history.

These are all good things, great things, even.  These past 5 years have kicked the ever loving shit out of what we went through the prior 20.

But this constant "HOW DARE YOU" and "YOU GOD SOME BALLS, MISTER" when it comes to the calling out the clear lack of this current band creating anything brand spankin' new is laughable.  And walking it's way right up to being completely embarrassing.  Right on that border.

We're all disappointed we haven't gotten more music out of GNR.  But we get talking about why, making assumptions, trying to understand and we basically go up our own assholes when we think we know the reason why.  Ask yourself what you really know and what is just opinion from what you've read on GNR boards.

I blame GNR for not letting us know what's going on but then again it's also a business and I totally get that the fans are outsiders and there's only so much information they are entitled to.  We're just the fans.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2021, 01:51:20 PM »

I’d love to hear Slash’s unadulterated honest option why there’s been no record released yet

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: