Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227806 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new material update...or lack there of
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new material update...or lack there of  (Read 40773 times)
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2021, 07:08:44 PM »

rofl rofl hihi

Jarmo, you are undefeatable  hihi

Definitively Axl Rose's best friend ever!
at least best defender  hihi

Add some more smileys, I don't think you've fully expressed your immaturity.
Ok sorry, dont wanna disrespect anybody here but its hard to take seriously Jarmo's logic. No matter what Axl does, he is gonna find some "logical" point to defend him.
Im also an Axl fan but there is nothing wrong on bein' critic with our idols.
Expectin a band to sit down and write new songs seems weird?
One album in 30 years is poor creativitely speaking, and that's bein objective. There is a creativity problem there but on this site telling these kind of things seems forbidden
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:35:13 PM by DAVE ROCK » Logged

Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2021, 10:06:13 PM »

rofl rofl hihi

Jarmo, you are undefeatable  hihi

Definitively Axl Rose's best friend ever!
at least best defender  hihi

Add some more smileys, I don't think you've fully expressed your immaturity.
Ok sorry, dont wanna disrespect anybody here but its hard to take seriously Jarmo's logic. No matter what Axl does, he is gonna find some "logical" point to defend him.
One album in 30 years is poor creativitely speaking, and that's bein objective. There is a creativity problem there but on this site telling these kind of things seems forbidden

I agree. Loving GNR and Axl shouldn't get in the way of seeing the reality. I don't think Axl or the band owe me anything, my life doesn't depend on whether or not GNR releases new songs or albuns, but this band clearly has some issues when it comes to releasing new music. That's just a fact.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2021, 10:07:04 PM »

How many times does the band need to prove you wrong before you accept/admit that you really know very little?  Huh

You really want to compare batting averages?

I'll take that Pepsi challenge.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2021, 10:13:13 PM »

I agree. Loving GNR and Axl shouldn't get in the way of seeing the reality. I don't think Axl or the band owe me anything, my life doesn't depend on whether or not GNR releases new songs or albuns, but this band clearly has some issues when it comes to releasing new music. That's just a fact.

Precisely.  You don't have to be a fortune teller.  Just minimally fuckin' observant.

And saying it out loud doesn't mean you get treated like you are claiming you just saw Bigfoot.

Simplest solution is often a correct one.  Past history + all available current evidence = nothing new remotely soon (if ever).

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2021, 10:38:51 PM »

Or, yknow, he has a mind of his own and disagrees with you? Maybe?

You seem like you will only be satisfied if Jarmo just concedes to agree with your opinions.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2021, 10:41:25 PM »

Many people are basing their opinion that the band as a creative venture, one that is capable of producing a new album, is dead, on facts. Here are the simple ones:

--After 6 years of the reunion, the band has this to show for it so far as newly released music: Two reworked 20-year-old songs

--Slash is quoted as saying they have not worked on NEW material, after 6 years. SLASH said this.

--Since Spaghetti Incident, released in 1993, nearly 30 years ago, the "band" has released a single full album, and a handful of singles.

So, it is reasonable to conclude that this band, creatively, has some issues, and as a creative entity, is largely dead. That is not being negative or a "hater" or whatever. It is looking at the facts objectively. I don't hate people who believe otherwise. No need to put someone else's opinion down. But looking at all of this objectively, divorced of emotions and feelings, it is hard to come to any other conclusion. If they prove me wrong, fantastic. But with these as the facts before me, my conclusion is that this band creatively is barren.

Perfectly put. Agreed 100 percent
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2021, 10:41:39 PM »

Precisely.  You don't have to be a fortune teller.  Just minimally fuckin' observant.

And saying it out loud doesn't mean you get treated like you are claiming you just saw Bigfoot.

Simplest solution is often a correct one.  Past history + all available current evidence = nothing new remotely soon (if ever).

Just as an observer with no dog in this fight, I see more of you treating Jarmo as a pariah, than the other way around.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
MHC
Headliner

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2021, 11:06:42 PM »

I'll play along.

So being a creative venture only means releasing material.

Got it!  Shocked

Observation: The root word of “creative” is “create”. I’m not seeing these guys create much of anything these days. AFD, Lies, and the Illusions records were all released in 4 years! This board has threads hoping for new music that are older than 4 years! All signs point to a band that lives to rehash, not create.

Speculation: I don’t know what’s going on in GNRland, but from being a fan for 30 years, I suspect that Axl is tapped creatively and is afraid that he can’t live up to his former self. Honestly, it must be comforting knowing that you can live an exciting and wonderful life by just singing the songs you wrote decades ago and people will love you for it. Why the hell risk ruining a legacy?
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2021, 01:40:50 AM »

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2021, 04:20:24 AM »

Or, yknow, he has a mind of his own and disagrees with you? Maybe?

You seem like you will only be satisfied if Jarmo just concedes to agree with your opinions.
That's nothing my point but its ok anyway  ok

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2021, 06:06:02 AM »

You really want to compare batting averages?

I'll take that Pepsi challenge.

I'm wrong all the time, I don't care. No problem admitting when I'm wrong.

Sometimes I'm right. It happens!

The main difference seems to be that I don't take pleasure in predicting doom and gloom.

Observation: The root word of “creative” is “create”. I’m not seeing these guys create much of anything these days. AFD, Lies, and the Illusions records were all released in 4 years! This board has threads hoping for new music that are older than 4 years! All signs point to a band that lives to rehash, not create.

Speculation: I don’t know what’s going on in GNRland, but from being a fan for 30 years, I suspect that Axl is tapped creatively and is afraid that he can’t live up to his former self. Honestly, it must be comforting knowing that you can live an exciting and wonderful life by just singing the songs you wrote decades ago and people will love you for it. Why the hell risk ruining a legacy?

Not that it matters. They got together in 2016, toured the world and managed to have a successful tour. I know some of you expected them to use any free time during the tour to write and record a new album. Was that realistic? Maybe, maybe not.

Did they create anything during the pandemic? Well, they just released two singles this year.

I know, I know. It's not really creating because you created something before, and then create some more on top of what was created earlier.

Edited to add: All we heard for years was "WE NEED NEW MUSIC". Once the band released new singles, that was changed to "THOSE ARE OLD SONGS, YOU DIDN'T WRITE ANYTHING TOGETHER!".  FFS...

/jarmo

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:09:32 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2021, 08:00:38 AM »

Most fans love the 2 singles. Yes, Absurd was polarising but any publicity is good publicity, right? I made a point earlier in this thread - you can’t please all of the people all the time. There will always be a small minority who voice criticism - GnR aren’t alone in that regard. Shit, I’d be willing to bet there were many GnR fans who hated the illusion records when they were releases on the basis that they were ostensibly a huge shift from Appetite.

Trouble is, these days the opinions of the minority get major airplay because of the internet. I guess the trick is to accept that you can’t please everyone and just dismiss the voices of discontent as keyboard warriors.

Lastly, I stand by my suggestion that 2 singles in nearly 6 years is pretty piss poor. Go balls deep or go home. Fuck the haters.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2021, 08:34:25 AM »

A lot of folks (and not just Jarmo, so let's not get that twisted) really trade in a lot of credibility with shit like this comes down the pike.  So quick to burn anyone and everyone at the stake, lecturing us all the while...nowhere to be found when EXACTLY WHAT MANY OF US SAID is proven on the money.

This is a touring operation.  It's about $BIG DOLLAZ$ at this point.  Stop hoping for some miracle album that ain't coming.

And for christ's sake, go sell your lectures somewhere else.  

100 % dead on balls accurate  Grin

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2021, 09:25:52 AM »

Some of you laughed at me when I pointed out that what Slash said about how to release music, actually made sense.

Fast forward to August and September 2021, the band releases singles digitally only, to be followed by physical releases later. Without any release date of an album.

In other words, the band didn't do things like they always had, or how we are used to. Single, album announcement, single, album release.

Now you're laughing at me for pointing out that there might be business people who might not like having a Slash release and a GN'R release happen at the same time, due to both competing for the same attention.

What was that about my credibility? Oh yeah, don't believe anything I say.....  Cheesy

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:27:54 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Trash Panda
Headliner

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2021, 10:09:12 AM »

Many people are basing their opinion that the band as a creative venture, one that is capable of producing a new album, is dead, on facts. Here are the simple ones:

--After 6 years of the reunion, the band has this to show for it so far as newly released music: Two reworked 20-year-old songs

--Slash is quoted as saying they have not worked on NEW material, after 6 years. SLASH said this.

--Since Spaghetti Incident, released in 1993, nearly 30 years ago, the "band" has released a single full album, and a handful of singles.

So, it is reasonable to conclude that this band, creatively, has some issues, and as a creative entity, is largely dead. That is not being negative or a "hater" or whatever. It is looking at the facts objectively. I don't hate people who believe otherwise. No need to put someone else's opinion down. But looking at all of this objectively, divorced of emotions and feelings, it is hard to come to any other conclusion. If they prove me wrong, fantastic. But with these as the facts before me, my conclusion is that this band creatively is barren.

I'll play along.

So being a creative venture only means releasing material.

Got it!  Shocked

The whole obsession with them not sitting down together somewhere to write a song from scratch is still astounding. Everybody here knows that they didn't write Don't Cry together in the studio while recording Use Your Illusion, Anything Goes wasn't even a GN'R song, November Rain existed before UYI was recorded etc etc. Those songs weren't written from scratch together either. Didn't seem to bother people.... We can keep repeating these facts over and over and they still don't matter to the people who like to pint out facts. Smiley

/jarmo

Yes, for a band, being a creative venture ABSOLUTELY means releasing new songs. I don't know why that is remotely a controversial take. Bands are created to create music. That's kind of the whole point.

And the songs you listed, they weren't written two decades prior to Appetite or Illusions. The situations aren't remotely similar. The era you are talking about is comprised of young artists who wrote these songs in their teens or early 20s and had nowhere to place them on an album, until Guns. NOW, we are talking about seasoned musicians who have all the ability to produce and publish whatever music they want.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:12:59 AM by Trash Panda » Logged
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2021, 10:18:28 AM »

For most of us, Slash comments concerning GNR's creative efforts are disheartening.

I'm pretty sure many of us (me included) had imagined the band would've written something together from scratch by now. They've spent half a decade on the road now, so we've all assumed Axl, Slash and Duff could've spent an all nighter or two writing together somewhere in fucking Belgium or something.

Or maybe last year during lockdown.

It seems like that's not been the case. And that's a sucks.

Maybe Axl doesn't believe he can deliver the goods anymore (lyrically and musically), or maybe he believes Slash and Duff are the ones who can't, or simply put, the focus has been on reworking those songs from the CD era.

Slash later ads We've been doing a lot of material that's been sort of sitting around for a while. So that will be a whole focused endeavor unto itself.

How many songs are "a lot"?

I don't know, but maybe the band will release some of these reworked songs the same way they have with Absurd and Hard Skool. Maybe the plan is to release all of these songs as singles once the tour resumes next year, or maybe the plan is to release an album with such songs... and once that's done (maybe in 3 years), then focus on writing new songs from scratch.

One thing seems pretty clear though, there won't be a new GNR album made from songs they've written together anytime soon.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:20:37 AM by Ignatius » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »

I guess I'm in a minority.

As long as the song is something I haven't listened to, it really doesn't matter when it was written, by who and when/if someone added to it later.

Do I enjoy listening to the songs? Yes. Does all of the above matter? No.

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2021, 10:37:38 AM »

And the songs you listed, they weren't written two decades prior to Appetite or Illusions. The situations aren't remotely similar. The era you are talking about is comprised of young artists who wrote these songs in their teens or early 20s and had nowhere to place them on an album, until Guns. NOW, we are talking about seasoned musicians who have all the ability to produce and publish whatever music they want.

Where do you draw the line then?

So a song written in 2000 by Axl is not ok?
A song written in 2005 by Axl is ok? Or no?
A song written in 1995 by Axl isn't ok?

Seriously, trying to understand the logic here.

Did Shadow Of Your Love or Move To The City (acoustic) sound worse because they were only released in 2018 and not 1988?

The songs weren't on Chinese Democracy for a reason. Some have decided what that reason is. Same thing happened with November Rain for example not ending up on AFD.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:40:32 AM by jarmo » Logged

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »

Some of you laughed at me when I pointed out that what Slash said about how to release music, actually made sense.

Fast forward to August and September 2021, the band releases singles digitally only, to be followed by physical releases later. Without any release date of an album.

In other words, the band didn't do things like they always had, or how we are used to. Single, album announcement, single, album release.

Now you're laughing at me for pointing out that there might be business people who might not like having a Slash release and a GN'R release happen at the same time, due to both competing for the same attention.

What was that about my credibility? Oh yeah, don't believe anything I say.....  Cheesy

/jarmo

Taking that further, Slash is either incredibly selfish for pushing his release in Feb 22 OR he was given the green light to do so because Axl didn’t want to put out any more new music

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2021, 12:50:53 PM »

Maybe someone here knows, but I kinda doubt he pushes for any release date. There are people whose job it is to decide on these things and sell records.

All I'm saying (=guessing) is that those people wouldn't like the idea of having something else "fighting" for the same spotlight when his record is released. That's all. Just thinking out loud.

As I said, I'm just guessing and my credibility is low regarding anything to do with GN'R and/or the music business in general. As we have been told numerous times by people who seem to really know everything and are never wrong.....  Embarrassed

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: