Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227806 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new material update...or lack there of
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new material update...or lack there of  (Read 40777 times)
Trash Panda
Headliner

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2021, 04:48:23 PM »

And the songs you listed, they weren't written two decades prior to Appetite or Illusions. The situations aren't remotely similar. The era you are talking about is comprised of young artists who wrote these songs in their teens or early 20s and had nowhere to place them on an album, until Guns. NOW, we are talking about seasoned musicians who have all the ability to produce and publish whatever music they want.

Where do you draw the line then?

So a song written in 2000 by Axl is not ok?
A song written in 2005 by Axl is ok? Or no?
A song written in 1995 by Axl isn't ok?

Seriously, trying to understand the logic here.

Did Shadow Of Your Love or Move To The City (acoustic) sound worse because they were only released in 2018 and not 1988?

The songs weren't on Chinese Democracy for a reason. Some have decided what that reason is. Same thing happened with November Rain for example not ending up on AFD.

/jarmo

The point is that creatively this band is and has been dormant and dead for a long time. And yes, the fact that they are dusting off 20 year old songs to present to the public, instead of a song they wrote maybe in the last 5 years, is proof they are creatively spent. It baffles me that this is a point that is being argued. You present these facts to anyone who isn't so invested in a particular band, and 99.999999% of people will agree that the band creatively is done. ONE FULL ALBUM SINCE 1993! And people have the nerve to criticize people who are skeptical based on that one fact alone. It's fine. The world won't end to admit that the skeptics have a reason to be skeptical. And in no way does it make them any less of a fan than the "true believers."
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2021, 06:07:59 PM »

I may be in the minority here but I couldn’t give a rats ass when the songs were penned or that they’ve been finished once already. I’d also disagree to a large extent with those arguing that GnR are creatively spent. Slash and Duff adding their vibe to the songs is a measure of creativity and I’m really excited to hear them.

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2021, 06:14:40 PM »

The songs weren't on Chinese Democracy for a reason. Some have decided what that reason is. Same thing happened with November Rain for example not ending up on AFD.

Obviously NR wasn't on AFD because it was worthless garbage.  rofl

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2021, 06:18:26 PM »

The point is that creatively this band is and has been dormant and dead for a long time. And yes, the fact that they are dusting off 20 year old songs to present to the public, instead of a song they wrote maybe in the last 5 years, is proof they are creatively spent. It baffles me that this is a point that is being argued. You present these facts to anyone who isn't so invested in a particular band, and 99.999999% of people will agree that the band creatively is done. ONE FULL ALBUM SINCE 1993! And people have the nerve to criticize people who are skeptical based on that one fact alone. It's fine. The world won't end to admit that the skeptics have a reason to be skeptical. And in no way does it make them any less of a fan than the "true believers."

The lack of self-doubt or humility in your statements is shocking. One could have just as well said that most of UYI was written years prior and therefore it proves they were "creatively dead" by 1989. Except the 1990 Chicago writing sessions did happen, just as writing has happened ever since, regardless of whether it was released or not.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Trash Panda
Headliner

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2021, 07:16:35 PM »

The lack of self-doubt or humility in your statements is shocking. One could have just as well said that most of UYI was written years prior and therefore it proves they were "creatively dead" by 1989. Except the 1990 Chicago writing sessions did happen, just as writing has happened ever since, regardless of whether it was released or not.

What you wrote doesn't make any sense. The songs on UYI weren't written 20 years earlier. The band had been writing so many songs over the past several years at that time, consistently writing, they turned them into 3.5 albums over the course of 4 years. How does that in any way compare to 1 album and a handful of singles in nearly 3 decades?? Why do people need to contort themselves to deny the obvious? A band that produced a single album in nearly 3 decades is not a creatively thriving band. Why is that so hard to admit? It's ok. You'll be alright. I am a huge Hunter S. Thompson fan. I have a tattoo of his six-fingered fist. But after the 70s and his first run of books, he was creatively shot and didn't produce a single thing worth a damn after that. Hardcore fans and critics alike agree pretty much universally. Admitting that doesn't mean I don't appreciate him as a writer. It just means I can look at reality. It's wild people on this board can't do the same.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »

First it was Slash and Duff need to comeback, then it was Chinese won't be released, then it was DJ Ashba sucks.... Then it was no DVD's, Then it was there needs to be new material released, then it was Axl's voice doesn't sound like 2010.... Then it was the reunion was for a cash crab, Then it was the band is just a touring band, Then it was the Summer Tour will be just the same setlist.... Then it was Hard Skool, Absurd, are just reworked songs.....  They need to get in a room and write.  Everything the fans have wanted GnR has delivered... I don't get it.... It might take awhile but they do it.  We have an EP coming in Feb... Probably a LP before or during the 2022 Tour Dates.  I don't know what this band has to do.. To constantly please this fanbase... I'm exhausted just typing this out.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2021, 02:19:24 AM »

Guys dont focus on hard school or other songs...u simply cant put 200 songs on an album, u have to make a choice. Hard school (except for the drums) and Absurd (except for the vocals) sounds better now than before so it was a good waiting.
Sometimes you just need the right people.
Again, enjoy these songs... Axl Rose is lazy af (and not "perfectionist") and if you still have to understand that after 30 years well there's something wrong with you  rofl rofl. It's sad that they have made 0 songs togheter but, really, what did you expect knowing their history?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2021, 05:27:33 AM »

It's almost like you're looking for reasons to be upset. Like I said, we spent years listening to the likes of you saying the band will never release anything and they don't want to. Look what happened. They proved you guys wrong. Does it make a difference? Absolutely not. Now it's the number of songs and their age. Hilarious.

If Slash had said nothing (you wouldn't know).
If songs were released that you hadn't any idea existed (you wouldn't know when they were created).

Suddenly, you'd be happier!?

You want to know things, you want updates. But once you have information, it makes you upset and everything is just bad....

I'm kinda baffled that people still get upset because the band does things their way like they always had instead of doing what these people think is the best....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2021, 05:29:45 AM »

First it was Slash and Duff need to comeback, then it was Chinese won't be released, then it was DJ Ashba sucks.... Then it was no DVD's, Then it was there needs to be new material released, then it was Axl's voice doesn't sound like 2010.... Then it was the reunion was for a cash crab, Then it was the band is just a touring band, Then it was the Summer Tour will be just the same setlist.... Then it was Hard Skool, Absurd, are just reworked songs.....  They need to get in a room and write.  Everything the fans have wanted GnR has delivered... I don't get it.... It might take awhile but they do it.  We have an EP coming in Feb... Probably a LP before or during the 2022 Tour Dates.  I don't know what this band has to do.. To constantly please this fanbase... I'm exhausted just typing this out.

You kinda nailed it.

Tour, don't tour that long, play this song, and play that song, why didn't you play that song when you toured too long, release music, but not that song, it's too old, when will you release the next song...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Trash Panda
Headliner

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2021, 09:14:13 AM »

It's almost like you're looking for reasons to be upset. Like I said, we spent years listening to the likes of you saying the band will never release anything and they don't want to. Look what happened. They proved you guys wrong. Does it make a difference? Absolutely not. Now it's the number of songs and their age. Hilarious.

If Slash had said nothing (you wouldn't know).
If songs were released that you hadn't any idea existed (you wouldn't know when they were created).

Suddenly, you'd be happier!?

You want to know things, you want updates. But once you have information, it makes you upset and everything is just bad....

I'm kinda baffled that people still get upset because the band does things their way like they always had instead of doing what these people think is the best....

/jarmo

They proved us wrong?Huh? Two half-baked songs after 6 years of the reunion is proving us wrong. Damn. That's a low threshold.

If Slash had said nothing? Yeah, but he said everything, didn't he? He said they haven't written ANYTHING NEW. The most important member of the band (tied with Axl) told us exactly what has (not) happened. There is no getting around that. How does a band go six years together and not write a single song. Shit, you think they'd hum a song in the shower and that would somehow become something.

As for your point about never hearing the leaks, so not knowing those were 2-decade old songs, that's a good point. I have no rebuttal for that.

Also, stop saying they are doing things their way. So far as being creative, they aren't doing anything. But I guess history shows that kind of is their way ...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2021, 11:03:21 AM »

LOL.

Yes, all those who said they'd never release Chinese Democracy, and then moved onto claim GN'R would never release anything else, only tour, were proven wrong. Ridicule that all you want. You know who you are. Smiley

How does a band go six years together and not write a single song.

They could do other things. Like tour?

Or record other things....  Or watch Formula 1....Or just relax! Many choices...

Cheesy

Let's just hope the next release is something no one knows about. So you guys can keep guessing when it was created and by who, and whether or not the best before date was passed. Just kidding! Wink

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 11:06:02 AM by jarmo » Logged

Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »

I have zero issues with them reworking old, unreleased songs. It's something, man.

It feels a little (dirty/disingenuous) off to call something a new song that has vocals that are 20+ years old. It would be one thing if Axl couldn't sing anymore, but that's not the case.

Slash's comments kind of confirm to me that anything else we get (if at all) will be similarly re-worked songs with old vocals. The only thing you can hold on to, IMO, is the "things change" line of hope.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2021, 01:47:07 PM »

/jarmo

They proved us wrong?Huh? Two half-baked songs after 6 years of the reunion is proving us wrong. Damn. That's a low threshold.

If Slash had said nothing? Yeah, but he said everything, didn't he? He said they haven't written ANYTHING NEW. The most important member of the band (tied with Axl) told us exactly what has (not) happened. There is no getting around that. How does a band go six years together and not write a single song. Shit, you think they'd hum a song in the shower and that would somehow become something.  

Grin
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2021, 02:00:15 PM »

I have zero issues with them reworking old, unreleased songs. It's something, man.

It feels a little (dirty/disingenuous) off to call something a new song that has vocals that are 20+ years old. It would be one thing if Axl couldn't sing anymore, but that's not the case.

Slash's comments kind of confirm to me that anything else we get (if at all) will be similarly re-worked songs with old vocals. The only thing you can hold on to, IMO, is the "things change" line of hope.

What percentage of the fanbase is the hardcore? 25 percent, 30 percent.  I don't think the majority of the people who come to the shows.... know about Silkworms or Jackie Chan.. aka Hard Skool or that Axl didn't re-record the vocals.  Just us hardcore fans. 

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2021, 02:08:48 PM »

What percentage of the fanbase is the hardcore? 25 percent, 30 percent.  I don't think the majority of the people who come to the shows.... know about Silkworms or Jackie Chan.. aka Hard Skool or that Axl didn't re-record the vocals.  Just us hardcore fans. 

That's exactly my point. Only a small percentage of people know those vocals are decades old. That's why it seems a little (dirty/disingenuous) to pass this off to the mainstream as a new song. Only in GnR land is there ambiguity about what is new music. It's like Clintonian logic on what's the definition of "new".
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2021, 02:13:13 PM »

If you never heard it before, it's new. Isn't that the definition of the word? Not new in the sense that it's fresh and they just wrote and recorded it the day before.

Most people never heard those songs before since they were released in August and September. And played live at the shows.

Hence, the use of the word new.

/jarmo

Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2021, 03:05:25 PM »

If you never heard it before, it's new. Isn't that the definition of the word? Not new in the sense that it's fresh and they just wrote and recorded it the day before.

Most people never heard those songs before since they were released in August and September. And played live at the shows.

/jarmo

So a shirt you've had in your closet for 20 years that you just put on for the first time today is new because no one's seen you in it before? Ok.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »

So a shirt you've had in your closet for 20 years that you just put on for the first time today is new because no one's seen you in it before? Ok.

So when your friend says "What a cool new shirt you're wearing!". You start explaining that it's not new, you just didn't wear it and it was made 20 yeas ago by people who probably don't even work at the manufacturer anymore etc?

Ok.

Cheesy

/jarmo

GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2021, 04:18:04 PM »

Here is my question take it from a GNR touring perspective. How many fans go to GNR shows now and are screaming for new songs? I can't help but think of Larry the Cable Guy in his most recent netflix stand up mentioned the joke of loving classic rock bands and the one thing those bands fans hate to hear is "and here is one off our new album". I think its fair to say alot of the fans that go too GNR shows are going to see the classics played i mean what is the crowd response when they play chinese democracy stuff and while i personally love hearing those songs there not ones fans know the words by heart like a sweet child or paradise city. Do i want new material of course absolutely but i think with a band like GNR with its history could easily be a Billy Joel esque touring band and just play hits and people will come out maybe mix in a new cover song or a hard skool but i think thats what we all have to think about.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »

/jarmo

Imagine if we had the Internet back in the late 80's.... Don't Cry gets leaked and it doesn't end up on AFD but UYI. The hardcore fans would be saying the same thing with regards of today.  rofl

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: