Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new material update...or lack there of
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new material update...or lack there of  (Read 40357 times)
Hustlers Revenge
Opening Act

« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2021, 07:45:32 PM »

You got all the clichés in one post.

It wasn't GN'R, Axl apologists, touring only, reworked songs.

Good job!  ok

I guess one man's "cliches" are another man's "stuff I am not permitted to say out loud".

When I am proven wrong on any of it, we can all have a good laugh.  Drinks all around.

Funny thing is, this board is FILLED with you and others CONSTANTLY saying what you want.
And then you (and others like yourself) complain that you are being persecuted because Jarmo doesn't agree with you or accept your premise.

He doesn't censor or prohibit anyone from posting their opinions (repeated ad nauseam) he just counters with his own position, and defends the band that he is a such a fan of that he has dedicated and maintained a forum for such people to post on for over 20 years!

You should owe this man some credit for the endless amount of patience he has shown to all of the poor, persecuted GNR "fans" who present their opinions as facts and feel entitled to trash the band on an endless basis.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 07:48:01 PM by Hustlers Revenge » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2021, 09:26:41 PM »

It's currently at #10 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock National Airplay chart. So it's obviously getting played on some radio stations.

That's awesome.  Good to know.

Well in your mind you've never been wrong to begin with.... Kinda pointless to make promises like that! Cheesy

I am am long on record there ain't no album coming, ever.  Should one materialize, logically, I will have to eat some shit.  Just how it is.

Yet to hear you tell it, my saying there ain't no album coming so forget it...despite there being not only no album in the offing, but several confirmed statements from ACTUAL BAND MEMBERS that nothing is happening.....I am still wrong?

If you say so, boss man.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2021, 09:40:43 PM »

Good job!  ok

I guess one man's "cliches" are another man's "stuff I am not permitted to say out loud".

When I am proven wrong on any of it, we can all have a good laugh.  Drinks all around.

Funny thing is, this board is FILLED with you and others CONSTANTLY saying what you want.
And then you (and others like yourself) complain that you are being persecuted because Jarmo doesn't agree with you or accept your premise.

He doesn't censor or prohibit anyone from posting their opinions (repeated ad nauseam) he just counters with his own position, and defends the band that he is a such a fan of that he has dedicated and maintained a forum for such people to post on for over 20 years!

You should owe this man some credit for the endless amount of patience he has shown to all of the poor, persecuted GNR "fans" who present their opinions as facts and feel entitled to trash the band on an endless basis.

Jarmo quoted me, I quoted him.  That's how conversation works, dude. 

Now, since its you and I talking now, here is where I think your argument takes on some water.  And tell me if you find this out of line.  It's all good.

I did not have much positive to say during the late era Chinese Democracy era.  I know it.  Everyone knows it.  My all time favorite band was playing with replacements of the replacements.  They were reduced to playing "up close and personal" caliber venues <wink>...and NOT SELLING THEM OUT.  I was simply commenting on the situation at the time.  Shit was grim.

But check my posts from 2016 to 2019.  Nothing but praise.  Praise for the live shows.  Praise for Axl's professionalism.  Telling anyone and everyone to grab a ticket when they come around, like I did twice, because they were killing it.  Again...commenting on the situation at the time.  Things were good.

I'm coming up on 10 years here.  Look at his posts.  Never is heard a discouraging word.  Now, I don't think we are all stupid.  I think there is a general awareness of why that situation is the way it is.  I don't expect miracles.  He's never going to come on here and be super critical.  But how far in the other direction do you swing?  There has not been ONE criticism that was ever valid?  In near 10 years?

Gets the side eye from me.  That's all.

P.S. - I have also defended him many times both here and at other boards.  And I often say if the caricature of him that is portrayed elsewhere was accurate, I'd have been gonezo 8 years ago.  My coming up on 10,000 posts here refutes the point he's some dictator.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Hustlers Revenge
Opening Act

« Reply #263 on: November 19, 2021, 12:19:22 AM »

Good job!  ok

Jarmo quoted me, I quoted him.  That's how conversation works, dude. 

Now, since its you and I talking now, here is where I think your argument takes on some water.  And tell me if you find this out of line.  It's all good.

I did not have much positive to say during the late era Chinese Democracy era.  I know it.  Everyone knows it.  My all time favorite band was playing with replacements of the replacements.  They were reduced to playing "up close and personal" caliber venues <wink>...and NOT SELLING THEM OUT.  I was simply commenting on the situation at the time.  Shit was grim.

But check my posts from 2016 to 2019.  Nothing but praise.  Praise for the live shows.  Praise for Axl's professionalism.  Telling anyone and everyone to grab a ticket when they come around, like I did twice, because they were killing it.  Again...commenting on the situation at the time.  Things were good.

I'm coming up on 10 years here.  Look at his posts.  Never is heard a discouraging word.  Now, I don't think we are all stupid.  I think there is a general awareness of why that situation is the way it is.  I don't expect miracles.  He's never going to come on here and be super critical.  But how far in the other direction do you swing?  There has not been ONE criticism that was ever valid?  In near 10 years?

Gets the side eye from me.  That's all.

P.S. - I have also defended him many times both here and at other boards.  And I often say if the caricature of him that is portrayed elsewhere was accurate, I'd have been gonezo 8 years ago.  My coming up on 10,000 posts here refutes the point he's some dictator.

Jarmo quoted you. You quoted him. I quoted you. You quoted me. I'm quoting you. You don't have to tell me how conversations work.

Dude.

I didn't ask for your credentials as a fan or as a forum member.
And to be honest, I don't fucking care.

You're trying to tell me your opinions of the band, good and/or bad must be met without disagreement by the guy who has been running a GNR message board for 20 plus years or else he is censoring your voice.

He is a dedicated GNR fan. He has no obligation, nor does anyone else, to validate your feelings and opinions toward the band. And as a fan, by his own definition and on his own message board, he is entitled to counter any negative disposition you may post, if he so chooses.

But go find your people and vent your frustrations if you must. And continue to do so, no matter how boring and repetitive it may be.

Now, since it's just you and I talking, I know you're not the only one who maintains this view and behaves as such. You're just one of many who annoy me and so I decided to call you out on it.

Nothing personal, other than the obnoxious part...

Carry on.
I know you will...

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:01:06 AM by Hustlers Revenge » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #264 on: November 19, 2021, 03:02:03 AM »

I am am long on record there ain't no album coming, ever.  Should one materialize, logically, I will have to eat some shit.  Just how it is.

Yet to hear you tell it, my saying there ain't no album coming so forget it...despite there being not only no album in the offing, but several confirmed statements from ACTUAL BAND MEMBERS that nothing is happening.....I am still wrong?

I know better than to believe that. There's always some excuse. "Oh, but these songs are old, so it doesn't count" or something.  hihi

So let me ask you this.... Since it's, in your opinion, solely a touring operation now. What would it take to change that, in your expert opinion?

Does the fact that they released two new songs, played them on tour, have any effect on this? Does it make GN'R less of a touring only band? I mean, logically speaking, you could say they only release music to be able to tour. Like any artist would.... So, what's the deal?

P.S. - I have also defended him many times both here and at other boards. 

Well, thank you!

/jarmo

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:03:59 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #265 on: November 19, 2021, 10:59:51 AM »

Now, since it's just you and I talking, I know you're not the only one who maintains this view and behaves as such. You're just one of many who annoy me and so I decided to call you out on it.

Nothing personal, other than the obnoxious part...

No big deal, man.  All good.  Decent back and forth dialogue never hurt anybody.  Makes for a better board.

End of the day, we are talking about a rock band here.  We aren't exactly solving the world's problems. Life is far too short to not keep things in perspective.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #266 on: November 19, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »

I know better than to believe that. There's always some excuse. "Oh, but these songs are old, so it doesn't count" or something.  hihi

100% with you on this point.  I think that argument is lame and misguided.

As I believe you said earlier, 'November Rain' was around in some form in the 80s.  Didn't mean I enjoyed it any less then it finally became official in September 1991.

Shit, man...I still get all geeked up for Slash's guitar outro.  Even now.  Having heard the song probably over 500 times.

A good tune is a good tune.

So let me ask you this.... Since it's, in your opinion, solely a touring operation now. What would it take to change that, in your expert opinion?

Does the fact that they released two new songs, played them on tour, have any effect on this? Does it make GN'R less of a touring only band? I mean, logically speaking, you could say they only release music to be able to tour. Like any artist would.... So, what's the deal?

I think the release of 2 new tracks this year is a 100% positive.  I think arguments to the contrary are nuts.  How is possibly a *bad* thing?  Make no sense to say that.

So what would change the definition for me?  A new album.

I don't expect them to put out an album while touring.  But they have been back together 5 years now.  There has been downtime between legs of tours.  And then we had that pesky worldwide pandemic where they had nothing but time.

None of that time has been used to do anything new creatively.  I like the fact 2 new tracks were released, but they were tweaked versions of existing stuff.  I can't rationalize how all this time back together and they are nowhere on something new and fresh.  My only logical takeaway is that they really don't care.  You make your own breaks in life.  If they wanted to get on this, they would have by now.

That's where I'm at.

P.S. - I have also defended him many times both here and at other boards.  

Well, thank you!

I think you get a bad rap.  I truly do.  

Do I break your balls a lot of the time?  Clearly, I do.  We have some serious differences in perspective on things.

But you run a good board.  Other GNR boards are insane asylums compared to this place.

And like I said earlier, you giving a guy like me a lot of rope doesn't do much to support the thinking that you only permit happy talk.

I appreciate what you do for us as a fanbase.  Even if I don't always seem like I do.  I do.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #267 on: November 19, 2021, 12:50:32 PM »

100% with you on this point.  I think that argument is lame and misguided.

As I believe you said earlier, 'November Rain' was around in some form in the 80s.  Didn't mean I enjoyed it any less then it finally became official in September 1991.

Shit, man...I still get all geeked up for Slash's guitar outro.  Even now.  Having heard the song probably over 500 times.

A good tune is a good tune.

Exactly! Agreed.

I guess it's the curse of the Internet. Because people know something, it affects their opinion to the point where it becomes too important....

I think the release of 2 new tracks this year is a 100% positive.  I think arguments to the contrary are nuts.  How is possibly a *bad* thing?  Make no sense to say that.

So what would change the definition for me?  A new album.

I don't expect them to put out an album while touring.  But they have been back together 5 years now.  There has been downtime between legs of tours.  And then we had that pesky worldwide pandemic where they had nothing but time.

None of that time has been used to do anything new creatively.  I like the fact 2 new tracks were released, but they were tweaked versions of existing stuff.  I can't rationalize how all this time back together and they are nowhere on something new and fresh.  My only logical takeaway is that they really don't care.  You make your own breaks in life.  If they wanted to get on this, they would have by now.

That's where I'm at.

I think the assumption people make that if X has Z amount of free time, it will/should be used for ______. I'll let you in on a (not so) secret. It doesn't. People have lives.

Sometimes you can make plans, sometimes you can't.

Sometimes you make plans and things still don't turn out like you had planned. All these "excuses" right? But that's how life is.

I mean, I might be the only one here who doesn't really "care" what songs they release, as long as they wanna release them. As long as they do what they want/think is right. I'll be happy to listen.

I don't sit and feel upset that they didn't use some supposed down time from touring sitting together writing. I guess some are hoping the band would be trying to recreate something...

I appreciate what you do for us as a fanbase.  Even if I don't always seem like I do.  I do.

Thanks! Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #268 on: November 24, 2021, 06:47:52 AM »

First song from Chinese: Shackler's Revenge

wait, what? it was the first single from CD?

Fist song released from the album. It was in the Rock Band 2 video game released in September 2008. The following month, If The World was in the movie Body Of Lies and then in November, the Chinese Democracy single was released.....

/jarmo

ah yeah, in Rock Band, I remember that now thx...well, it should have been the first single tooin my opinion,
probably the most catchy song on CD, it was rocking and modern, if the term means something

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #269 on: November 24, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »

ah yeah, in Rock Band, I remember that now thx...well, it should have been the first single tooin my opinion,
probably the most catchy song on CD, it was rocking and modern, if the term means something

I think I agree.  About the single part, I mean.

I really dig that tune.  Think it's one of the stronger on the album.  And, as you say, from an A&R perspective, it's very appealing.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #270 on: November 24, 2021, 01:47:46 PM »

Great track. Maybe not the most easily accessible on the album. But great nonetheless and was fun when played live.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2021, 01:50:34 AM »

Thing about 'Shackler's Revenge' live was that it suffered from sub par backing vocals.  Which you 100% need for that one.

Now with Duff and Melissa back there, it might work better live, I think.  Their backing vocals really add a lot to the current stage show, I think.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2021, 05:39:08 AM »

They might rework it a little, like they did with Better......

But would be interesting to hear.

/jarmo

Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2021, 01:58:58 AM »

I saw Shacklers live in 2010. Got a YouTube video of it. Absolutely frickin amazing. I’d post it for you guys to enjoy but I fear the YT police will delete it

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2021, 11:43:46 PM »

I saw Shacklers live in 2010. Got a YouTube video of it. Absolutely frickin amazing. I’d post it for you guys to enjoy but I fear the YT police will delete it

Wise decision. Sad state of affairs when we can't share links to live videos though.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »

Since when does fan filmed footage get taken down? It's all over YT. Here's a 2009 performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kaB7MwYRIo

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2021, 06:00:23 PM »

Since when does fan filmed footage get taken down? It's all over YT. Here's a 2009 performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kaB7MwYRIo

It's been happening for a few years. At some point GNR (or whoever) went really hardline about this stuff. Check out some of the recent show threads and try the youtube links, for example here and here. Most have been removed already due to "copyright claim by Universal Music Group."
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #277 on: November 30, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »

I've seen people post travel videos where they have muted the audio if a famous song is playing somewhere (like out of a store, or performed by some street performer etc.). Just to avoid copyright issues.

/jarmo

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #278 on: November 30, 2021, 06:53:08 PM »

Love Shacklers. The 2009-2014 lineup really shined on that one.
Actually im not sure if anyone except Bumblefoot can pull off that fretless solo Grin

Im really glad i got to experience that era of GN'R. There was this ''lets just have fun'' vibe to it.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #279 on: December 01, 2021, 08:57:28 PM »

I like most of Shackler's but the pre-chorus just feel so out of place to me. It's too upbeat in such a dark song.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: