Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:14:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  new material update...or lack there of
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new material update...or lack there of  (Read 40352 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #360 on: January 18, 2022, 04:55:40 AM »

But was it a low stock item?  Sell out fast that way.  No, you don't press one at a time.  You wait until you have the right number to start printing them but you don't have a stack waiting for someone to order.

Ahh, ok.

Still, with the limit in producing them, that would mean even slower delivery of vinyls to those who want them.

I would argue with GNR on that albums sell tours.  They aren't in that group.  Singles maybe a little help but the back catalog and personnel have them out there.  They are dead in the water without Axl and adding Izzy in the future is going to keep them going.  Just because I want new music from GNR, I have not really seen that support the tour.  Once again just my opinion and it's derailing the topic.   hihi  Don't take it as advise.

There are those who will go just to hear the old familiar hits. Then there are those who get reminded that the band is touring because they might hear a new song on the old radio or on a streaming service.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2022, 05:00:50 AM »

in 2021 vinyl album sales were up 108 percent, from 9 million to over 19 million units in the first six months of the year.

it was the leading album sales format at this point, so yeah, there's obviously "no big market for those"  hihi

That's misleading.  They're coming out of the basement.  But where really are album sales?  Low level or shooting through the roof?  Any where close to the billions of dollars they use to generate?  Look at this graph:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/273308/music-album-sales-in-the-us/

It looks like vinyl is outselling cds, and the levels for vinyl are comparable to 30 years, but obviously cds are selling less, so overall physical sales are less. Also, 2021 had Abba, which is one of those once in a blue moon things. Adele also released an album, and she's a big artist for vinyl
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2022, 11:27:00 AM »

oh yeah sure physical sales are in bad shape since Internet but we're talking about vinyl and yeah, the market is encouraging.

"2.11 million vinyl albums were sold in the week ending December 23, making it the biggest vinyl sales week since at least 1991.
The total—2.11 million vinyl albums sold—bested the 1.842 million LPs sold during the week ending December 24, 2020.
It’s been a big year for vinyl sales, which already increased 29.2 percent in 2020"

https://pitchfork.com/news/vinyl-sets-new-weekly-sales-peak-for-modern-era/

so yeah, there's definitly a "market for those" and that was my point, and it's growing.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #363 on: January 18, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »

It seems like a certain group of music fans have gone from "fuck it, I'm not buying CDs anymore!" to "well, if I'm gonna buy it, I'll get the vinyl. It sounds better/looks cooler!"....

Fans who used to buy CDs until it became more difficult due to stores disappearing, the Internet making it easier to get them digitally etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #364 on: January 18, 2022, 01:42:53 PM »

It seems like a certain group of music fans have gone from "fuck it, I'm not buying CDs anymore!" to "well, if I'm gonna buy it, I'll get the vinyl. It sounds better/looks cooler!"....

Fans who used to buy CDs until it became more difficult due to stores disappearing, the Internet making it easier to get them digitally etc.

/jarmo

Vinyl is better but now I don't know how to play it.   hihi  I'm lost in the equipment.  No point in buying something cheap as it still won't sound good and wreck your record.  Plus from what I was reading new vinyl is different from old vinyl and you really need the right equipment to play both.

And then you come down to album art.  Hard Skool's cover is actually what triggered me.  I like it, it's cool.  Still wouldn't buy it because I'm an album snob.  

Vinyl had it's day.  It was glorious.  Sorry you cd people missed.  Come to think of it, I think cassettes sounded better than cds.  hihi

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #365 on: January 18, 2022, 01:52:35 PM »

/jarmo

Vinyl is better but now I don't know how to play it.   hihi  I'm lost in the equipment.  No point in buying something cheap as it still won't sound good and wreck your record.  Plus from what I was reading new vinyl is different from old vinyl and you really need the right equipment to play both.

And then you come down to album art.  Hard Skool's cover is actually what triggered me.  I like it, it's cool.  Still wouldn't buy it because I'm an album snob.  

Vinyl had it's day.  It was glorious.  Sorry you cd people missed.  Come to think of it, I think cassettes sounded better than cds.  hihi

It's because the recordings were geared towards CD releases, now obviously streaming. An album mix for a CD never sounded great on vinyl. Some of those free vinyl singles that came free with magazines in the 80s actually sound better than vinyl released now. However, the way vinyl is made remains the same, and some vinyl records are still ok. It depends what the band do, if they create a mix that geared towards vinyl, then you will get a good quality vinyl recording
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:54:47 PM by Mysteron » Logged
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #366 on: January 18, 2022, 04:48:56 PM »

/jarmo

I think its slowly changing to: ''Id like to own that album i really like, but the vinyl is double the price of the CD and i dont even use my turntable that much, ill just get the CD''

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
cineater
Legend

« Reply #367 on: January 18, 2022, 10:03:14 PM »

/jarmo

Vinyl had it's day.  It was glorious.  Sorry you cd people missed.  Come to think of it, I think cassettes sounded better than cds.  hihi

It's because the recordings were geared towards CD releases, now obviously streaming. An album mix for a CD never sounded great on vinyl. Some of those free vinyl singles that came free with magazines in the 80s actually sound better than vinyl released now. However, the way vinyl is made remains the same, and some vinyl records are still ok. It depends what the band do, if they create a mix that geared towards vinyl, then you will get a good quality vinyl recording

One of the guys at pinball was telling me the old vinyl sounds like it's dragging, something about a half speed?  (you can't hear shit during pinball league.  hihi)

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #368 on: January 19, 2022, 01:12:07 PM »

/jarmo

I think its slowly changing to: ''Id like to own that album i really like, but the vinyl is double the price of the CD and i dont even use my turntable that much, ill just get the CD''

I don't see it changing that way at all... it's going in the other direction with physical media down all together and CD dropping further year over year. I'll be honest if you handed me a CD and asked me to play it, unless I was in my car or planning on throwing it in a PlayStation I wouldn't be able to play it. I haven't owned anything with a "CD Player" in years. It's too easy to consume music in other ways, and not have to carry around physical media.

I'm also past the point of needing to "rip" my CD's down to MP3's and either burn them to one large disc or carry around thumb drives... my streaming apps can hit my sonos speakers, tv's in hotels, speakers in my kids hockey locker room at Tournaments, any car I'm in... etc...

Having said all that I'll buy the Vinyl release because to me they are art. I actually have several of them framed in hanging in my music room with my guitars and amps, they've never been played because I can do it better with my apps.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #369 on: January 19, 2022, 03:12:46 PM »

/jarmo

I don't see it changing that way at all... it's going in the other direction with physical media down all together and CD dropping further year over year. I'll be honest if you handed me a CD and asked me to play it, unless I was in my car or planning on throwing it in a PlayStation I wouldn't be able to play it. I haven't owned anything with a "CD Player" in years. It's too easy to consume music in other ways, and not have to carry around physical media.

I'm also past the point of needing to "rip" my CD's down to MP3's and either burn them to one large disc or carry around thumb drives... my streaming apps can hit my sonos speakers, tv's in hotels, speakers in my kids hockey locker room at Tournaments, any car I'm in... etc...

Having said all that I'll buy the Vinyl release because to me they are art. I actually have several of them framed in hanging in my music room with my guitars and amps, they've never been played because I can do it better with my apps.

I started to collect vinyl late. I think i have around 150 or so, but i have boxes full of cds. The only cds i keep in my livingroom is the GnR albums/singles. On the singles you have some demos and live songs you dont get on spotify or other streaming platforms. Playd the Dont cry single a couple of days ago. The Demo is almost better the original!

Vinyls are the best format, if you want to read, watch, listen and injoy the whole concept of an album. The streaming dont give you that experience

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #370 on: January 19, 2022, 03:17:56 PM »

/jarmo

exactly, the goal of CDs was to have a great quality sound, but with high speed internet,
lossless audio codecs and mobile devices they don't make much sense anymore...

so people tends to prefer vinyls (the size of the artworks, the sound) or cassettes (packaging, the look, and...well that's it), because they're cool, reminds people when they were younger (the nostalgia is strong these days, I wonder why...)

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #371 on: January 19, 2022, 03:49:23 PM »

/jarmo

I started to collect vinyl late. I think i have around 150 or so, but i have boxes full of cds. The only cds i keep in my livingroom is the GnR albums/singles. On the singles you have some demos and live songs you dont get on spotify or other streaming platforms. Playd the Dont cry single a couple of days ago. The Demo is almost better the original!

Vinyls are the best format, if you want to read, watch, listen and injoy the whole concept of an album. The streaming dont give you that experience

You could upload your bootlegs and imports into Amazon Music. I have both of the Sirius shows from early in this tour in my Amazon Music library.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #372 on: January 20, 2022, 06:26:06 AM »

/jarmo

exactly, the goal of CDs was to have a great quality sound, but with high speed internet,
lossless audio codecs and mobile devices they don't make much sense anymore...

so people tends to prefer vinyls (the size of the artworks, the sound) or cassettes (packaging, the look, and...well that's it), because they're cool, reminds people when they were younger (the nostalgia is strong these days, I wonder why...)

I don't think it's nostalgia, it's more like you can listen to music from the internet every day and everywhere, so having something "tangible" and somehow artistic it's a good thing when u really have the time to enjoy your music in a calm place like your home. Plus the turntable is a furnishing object, vynils are cool.. cds are just a plastic made mess
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2022, 07:28:09 AM »

Like many things, things lose value to people. Music went from something you paid for, to something you could get for free thanks to services like Napster, and now to something of value.

Coffee, same thing. Coffee became something people didn't wanna spend too much money on and it was terrible. Now people are prepared to pay for a good quality coffee.

Yes, vinyls especially offer value streaming services can't. It's a physical object. Maybe you don't buy every album you like, but those special ones, you'll buy just to have them.

Obviously not everyone. Some are happy with streaming. But I don't think record sales are increasing because old timers like myself are the only ones buying vinyls...  hihi

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2022, 09:53:03 AM »

Like many things, things lose value to people. Music went from something you paid for, to something you could get for free thanks to services like Napster, and now to something of value.

Coffee, same thing. Coffee became something people didn't wanna spend too much money on and it was terrible. Now people are prepared to pay for a good quality coffee.

Yes, vinyls especially offer value streaming services can't. It's a physical object. Maybe you don't buy every album you like, but those special ones, you'll buy just to have them.

Obviously not everyone. Some are happy with streaming. But I don't think record sales are increasing because old timers like myself are the only ones buying vinyls...  hihi

/jarmo

Record sales may be increasing but album sales aren't.  Really low.  Is that because there aren't as many albums being produced by a large group of bands?  Of those still buying is it new material or are they going for the oldies?  Lots of questions about that. 

So how are singles doing?  Selling or not?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #375 on: January 20, 2022, 11:21:28 AM »

The album concept as we knew it ceased to exist when iTunes started selling single songs. No more where you forced to buy the whole album because you like one song....

People don't necessarily sit and listen to the whole album anymore. They listen to the songs they choose, or maybe some curated playlists.

/jarmo

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #376 on: January 20, 2022, 11:30:24 AM »

/jarmo

Record sales may be increasing but album sales aren't.  Really low.  Is that because there aren't as many albums being produced by a large group of bands?  Of those still buying is it new material or are they going for the oldies?  Lots of questions about that. 

So how are singles doing?  Selling or not?

Its everything at the same time. People buy new music on vinyl, they want the old classic albums, discover "new" old records and new bands that release their music on vinyl. The object is important for many people. The streaming service can in many cases help people discover new music they want to buy. I think we are only looking at the start of a new era for physical music. Im pretty sure even the music videos in some form will be back.

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #377 on: January 20, 2022, 11:31:35 AM »

Record sales may be increasing but album sales aren't.  Really low.  Is that because there aren't as many albums being produced by a large group of bands?  Of those still buying is it new material or are they going for the oldies?  Lots of questions about that.  

So how are singles doing?  Selling or not?

Physical sales are down, Vinyl has taken market share within that shrinking market... what Jarmo said really applies to me and I would assume most of the music consuming public. I am going for the the easiest way to consume so that is streaming, if it can't be done on a device in an app it probably won't succeed... Look at what Uber did to the Taxi industry. BUT like he also said, I am a sucker for the art and experience of Vinyl (except at home it is still easier for me to access a cloud library) so I buy new vinyl and own hand me down vinyl from the 60's, 70's and 80's but they are honestly more of a display piece than things to listen too.

You definitely have self proclaimed audiophiles that will wax poetic about the warmth of vinyl... Unfortunately the recording method was more important than the physical media production to that experience, so Chinese Democracy on vinyl isn't going to quite capture that experience because you are going digital to analog not analog to analog.

Those audiophiles paired with the collectors are driving a rising sub section of a falling segment of the business.

I think GnR is handling this the best way a band can do today, release to streaming during the tour, then release a group of singles as a special EP in different formats with special editions and art, then rinse and repeat. I also wonder if them driving a little exclusivity and being able to bump the price and sell through there site gives them a little higher profit margin on the physical releases. With the shrinking physical market the key is to maximize revenue/profit.

I would love to see Axl, Slash, and Duff work with other big name contemporaries of theirs to introduce a streaming service that is owned by the artisits, almost creating a union like or "not for profit structure" that is aimed at making the artists and not a corporation or shareholders money (unless the shareholders were 100% the artists). They could create content only available within that app to drive subscriptions. Say you access the app from your iPad you could try to get a "digital" vinyl experience where the steaming content is tied to a "kindle" like hi res album art. They could even harness the NFT craze to sell one off covers etc... this could really shift that industry. You could look to someone like Ashton Kutcher who has gotten deep in the tech investment space, BUT would also have the first hand understanding of artistic rights and intellectual property... (Team Brazil if you are reading this the idea is free... but maybe hook a brother up with a free subscription and some backstage passes... FYI I love Halloween parties and Malibu sunsets as much as the next guy)
cineater
Legend

« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2022, 06:54:03 PM »

I don't know, would you show up to that party dressed as a band member?   hihi

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #379 on: January 25, 2022, 02:55:48 PM »

I don't know, would you show up to that party dressed as a band member?   hihi

Nope... The Pinball Wizard from Tommy. Hit's multiple themes that would resonate with the guests at Axl's Halloween party.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: