Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:36:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  I don't dig the last GN'R line-up
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I don't dig the last GN'R line-up  (Read 4522 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2022, 04:40:34 AM »

My point is, and was, that there are a bunch of people who kept going on about how "it isn't GN'R". Still do.

To keep claiming someone was supportive because they bought a ticket to a show just shows how they define support.

If I would say "Yeah, I saw them live but it's not GN'R" or "I bought the album, but it's not GN'R". Does that make my statement supportive?

That all depends on how you define supportive.

Nothing really to do about preferring one over the other. You can prefer something without having to be disrespectful. I prefer some artists or songs over others, but if you prefer those, that's cool.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Trash Panda
Headliner

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2022, 02:44:31 PM »

My point is, and was, that there are a bunch of people who kept going on about how "it isn't GN'R". Still do.

To keep claiming someone was supportive because they bought a ticket to a show just shows how they define support.

If I would say "Yeah, I saw them live but it's not GN'R" or "I bought the album, but it's not GN'R". Does that make my statement supportive?

That all depends on how you define supportive.

Nothing really to do about preferring one over the other. You can prefer something without having to be disrespectful. I prefer some artists or songs over others, but if you prefer those, that's cool.

/jarmo

It wasn't Guns n' Roses. If Robert Plant tours with three guys and calls it Led Zeppelin, it's still not Led Zeppelin. Only Axl fanatics are able to say with a straight face that band was Guns n' Roses.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2022, 03:22:31 PM »

It wasn't Guns n' Roses. If Robert Plant tours with three guys and calls it Led Zeppelin, it's still not Led Zeppelin. Only Axl fanatics are able to say with a straight face that band was Guns n' Roses.

LOL.

All tickets said Guns N' Roses. All merchandise said Guns N' Roses. Chinese Democracy is a Guns N' Roses album.

Facts are facts, your opinion isn't a fact. Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2022, 03:57:38 PM »

Cowboys aren’t the Cowboys now because Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin don’t play for them anymore. Guns N’ Roses is a brand…a business just like the Cowboys. It’s all entertainment.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 04:04:24 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2022, 06:02:24 PM »

Cowboys aren’t the Cowboys now because Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin don’t play for them anymore. Guns N’ Roses is a brand…a business just like the Cowboys. It’s all entertainment.

Except, it was falling down with Axl being the only original member of the band.
After the reunion, GNR filled up Stadiums one more time.
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2022, 06:26:36 PM »

LOL.

All tickets said Guns N' Roses. All merchandise said Guns N' Roses. Chinese Democracy is a Guns N' Roses album.

/jarmo

I think Axl's solo years were the darkest of his life, and it reflected in the music, his eating habits, and that little by little fewer and fewer people were going to the concerts of GN'R. I think this was one of the reasons why Axl finally buried the hatchet with Slash, because he has not having fun, it was going down.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2022, 11:22:31 PM »

I think Axl's solo years were the darkest of his life, and it reflected in the music, his eating habits, and that little by little fewer and fewer people were going to the concerts of GN'R. I think this was one of the reasons why Axl finally buried the hatchet with Slash, because he has not having fun, it was going down.

Disagree.  It started off with Dizzy saying Axl's head was really in a good place.  Axl was in a pretty good mood around 2000.  But then tours were scheduled, cancelled and rescheduled and then Axl saying he didn't know anything about them.  I think he got a lot of stress from the different management groups.  Not to say that took him to a dark placed but those were fucked up situations.  The business side has always been a fight.

I think he liked the band members he worked with (me too), even said he misses them.  Didn't help Bucket had his own issues, Ron developed issues and some of the bandmates didn't like each other.

Didn't and don't like him flirting with alcohol.  He was clean, even said something about it takes a bit of getting use to.  Don't know why he would fuck with that but he did.  Got his ass smacked by a table, thrown in jail and caught on camera.  Don't think it was a dark thing with him but more of a situational pressure to come play.  This group isn't so willing to go that way as long as you stay away from Dizzy.

The dark part was probably more in those 20's early 30 years.  He got some distance on them and support for them, thank you Beta.  Not to say they didn't rear their ugly head but it probably wasn't as dark.

I'm not his analyst but his solo years showed me a different side of him.  He really wasn't that asshole he was in the beginning.  Just every once in a while.  hihi  Just kidding.  I have a lot of respect for Axl.  I don't think he spent a lot of time tossing demons from behind his eyelids in those years.  Spent a lot of time dealing with the shit he was getting dealt.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Headliner

Do you know where the f@*k you are?

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2022, 11:24:04 PM »

LOL.

/jarmo

"His eating habits?"

Did you see the band in 2006 or even watch videos?

2006 Axl was an absolute machine and sang his ass off.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2022, 10:31:28 AM »

well, it is Guns N'roses.

Guns N'roses with Buckethead was Guns N'roses.
even Guns N'roses with DJ Ashba was Guns N'roses.  hihi

we, meaning old time fans, have a misconception about GNR, because we discovered the band with the Appetite line up and thought it was immuable.

it is not. before that, Guns N'roses with Tracii Guns was Guns N'roses.
Guns N'roses with Rob Gardner was Guns N'roses.
Guns N'roses with Ole Beich was Guns N'roses.

so yeah, GNR Appetite incarnation was the one who made it. but as Axl said to us, it was poverty who sticked the guys together.
after that...

the thing which didn't help was the lack of communication with the general public & the press to explain the situation, and the fact
that the guys left without too much attention, it faded away like a nice dream.

Axl didn't have much choice if he wanted to continue at that level, keeping the name was the thing.

what did you want?
Slash securing the name, and doing some standard hard rock'n'roll without too much ambition with who knows singing?
with the problems Slash Duff & Matt have with singers?

I'm pretty sure in another universe it's the case, and they had 5 more albums, with 3 different singers...not sure if it's better there than here...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2022, 04:46:34 PM »

LOL.

/jarmo

"His eating habits?"

Did you see the band in 2006 or even watch videos?

2006 Axl was an absolute machine and sang his ass off.

around 2010 when he gained weight
I think it was during his solo era 2002 2016 that GNR started losing color
and it was reflected in the art promo, in the colors on stage and the band in general,and for me the sound was not the same even though they played the same songs
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 04:48:22 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2022, 04:56:04 PM »

There are many versions of Guns N' Roses. But I think people mostly recognize Axl and Slash amongst all of the members that have been in GN'R.
Their reunion is the reason why Guns N' Roses is filling up stadiums again.
Even though I particularly love the AFD lineup.
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2022, 04:57:39 PM »

It is true Guns N' Roses has had many versions, with many truly outstanding musicians, but it is also true many of the musicians that have been in GNR are almost forgotten by the majority of the fandom.

People exalt the reunion of Axl, Duff, and Slash in the band, regardless of the participation of other musicians, who can be talented but I do not think the fandom would miss them if they left, just like the fandom does not miss Izzy or Steven, Buckethead, Dj Ashba, Robin Finck, amongst many others.

GNR was GNR even without the original lineup and with musicians with different backgrounds, just the majority of the fandom does not care anymore.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 05:07:27 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2022, 08:50:59 PM »

all I can say is I miss Robin & Brain.

my perfect GNR line up would be Axl, Slash, Duff, Robin, Richard, Brain & Melissa.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2023, 05:39:43 AM »

It is true Guns N' Roses has had many versions, with many truly outstanding musicians, but it is also true many of the musicians that have been in GNR are almost forgotten by the majority of the fandom.

Yeah. Not many fans remember/know of Ole, Rob or Tracii...

/jarmo

Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2023, 08:40:03 AM »

Yeah. Not many fans remember/know of Ole, Rob or Tracii...

/jarmo

I do not think most fans who attend concerts know who is Richard or Melissa or Frank, either. or Dizzy
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2023, 09:47:50 AM »

I do not think most fans who attend concerts know who is Richard or Melissa or Frank, either. or Dizzy

Maybe they're not paying attention then. They get introduced at every show!

/jarmo

Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2023, 09:56:54 AM »

Maybe they're not paying attention then. They get introduced at every show!

/jarmo

I mean, the same happened with the other guys and for years: even Izzy, Steven, also Buckeathead, and Bumblefoot. Dj Ashba, Tommy Stinson but the fandom easily forgot about them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 10:18:10 AM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
cineater
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2023, 02:00:02 PM »

Not to belittle anybody's efforts but is it really about everyone being superstars in the band?  I know I cringe when I hear a new band is a group of superstars.  Yeah we know their names but the music is generally not that great and they don't hold together very long.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2023, 10:56:35 PM »

I've always thought it dumb how people get so hung up on labels, names, "legacy", etc. One era of the band does not detract from another. The name is just a name and whoever is in the band doesn't change whether it's GNR. I have a feeling that a lot of the people who say the CD lineup wasn't GNR would have sang a different tune if that lineup were more similar to the AFD lineup in style, and especially so if they really loved the resulting album.

It's also interesting that only certain bands get this kind of strife over lineup changes. Deep Purple has constantly gone through lineup changes throughout its entire existence. Each lineup has its fans, but you rarely hear people say "that's not the real Deep Purple!"

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
cineater
Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2023, 11:01:21 PM »

And then you have individual artists that have changed up their music.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: