Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:45:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227781 Posts in 43247 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Absurd? (Do you think Slash and Duff enjoyed recording over Silkworms?)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absurd? (Do you think Slash and Duff enjoyed recording over Silkworms?)  (Read 3281 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« on: December 05, 2022, 02:25:58 PM »

Did Axl push Slash and Duff to record over Silkworms?

Do you think Silkworms was the kind of rock music Slash and Duff enjoy?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 02:45:07 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 03:07:20 PM »

Does it matter?

Do you think November Rain would've been recorded if Axl hadn't wanted GN'R to record it? What about Coma, which I believe Slash wrote?

Absurd is the opposite of a ballad. It's probably the opposite of what everyone expected the first song recorded by Axl, Duff and Slash to be like.

So why wouldn't they enjoy it?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 03:13:54 PM »

One of GNR’s worst song besides My World. I think Slash and Duff recorded it to appease Axl, to get out new music.

Rizzo160
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 03:47:44 PM »

It was a weird pick, to be sure.  Doesn't sound like something they'd be into at all.

Makes you wonder what Axl really has in that Magical Mystery Vault after all these years if this tune was one of the first selected to touch up with Slash & Duff.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »

I thought the live version has a cool punk feel to it.

Who knows, Slash has written his fair share of weird or uncharacteristic songs; Spay, Loving the Alien, Ain't Life Grand, Lower, The Alien, The Last Fight, Saint is a Sinner Too.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 10:28:09 PM »

I thought the live version has a cool punk feel to it.

Exactly.

It's So Easy wasn't exactly the biggest hit on AFD. Yet it was the first single.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »

I guess that Absurd is the song Slash and Duff chose to work on first. Thats why they released it first, and been playing it everyshow.

Probably surprised Axl that they gravitated towards that song first.

That would make sense to me since its a rocker, and we all know Slash and Duff are not the ballad freaks of the band. And lyrics wise Duff has been pretty vocal on how much he likes My World, and Slash according to his instagram is no stranger to ''pussy full of maggots'' type of art.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
cineater
Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 11:31:01 AM »

Axl said the band liked it and was going to keep playing it.  And something along the lines of despite what the internet said.   hihi

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 11:55:16 AM »

let's not forget Duff was the last one to quit GNR 1 and was totally on board with the new musical direction Axl wanted.
so no surprise here he kinda dig Silksurd.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 04:06:14 PM »

Probably because there was nothing else in the vault.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 04:12:04 PM »

even the least aware fan about the leaks knows there's ton of stuff in there

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 06:36:52 PM »

with no lyrics  Wink

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 06:57:56 PM »

Not really, lots of short riff ideas and instrumentals, but only a few actual songs. That's not to say there isn't more in the vault, though.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 03:10:45 AM »

I think they just started to work on the easiest song ... Not a good song (the one with that industrial vibe it was way better, but still a prodigy rip off ) but they managed to do something interesting with the riff. On the other side the delay applied on the voice was just a bad, childish, experiment.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 05:07:44 AM »

I think they just started to work on the easiest song ... Not a good song (the one with that industrial vibe it was way better, but still a prodigy rip off ) but they managed to do something interesting with the riff. On the other side the delay applied on the voice was just a bad, childish, experiment.

Do you think you'll actually like whatever GN'R releases next? What's your expectation?

/jarmo

DeN
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 08:18:31 AM »

with no lyrics  Wink

so you think all the material has been leak?

I'm not sure about that.

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 10:35:07 AM »

Do you think you'll actually like whatever GN'R releases next? What's your expectation?

/jarmo

Should i have any expectation? They are way paste their prime (as almost every band in the world after their  first albums), but I'd like to hear something composed mainly by them (i mean the 3 of them), just to see if there's still something good there, and if it's still there i'm going to enjoy it, no doubt. Personally I don't think we'll see another album which is not just a reworked CD 2, 7 years are gone already, and the songs they still play today were made in the same span of time. Think about that. i think people in general shouldn't expect anything from gnr today (on the other side they can willingly spend  a shitload of money for nice memorabilia or some golden pit areas). I mean  CD was 15 years ago. Are u really asking me what are my expectations? Cmon man. How can you even put up that question?

In any case, if i really have to wish something, I'd like to hear finally a good slash's guitar tone (more than anything else) and 2016 axl's voice again but I really don't know what are the odds.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 01:15:42 PM »

they can go back to the material they worked on when Slash was still in the band in 96, too...

"I feel that some of the recordings we did in that limited amount of time had some of the best playing that Slash had done at least since Illusions. I was there. I know what I heard and it was pretty exciting."

"I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of Slash were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith's Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out."

"The 1996 tracks are not something I would want to approach without Slash, because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. That's the reason why that material got scrapped."

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 06:22:27 PM »

Should i have any expectation? They are way paste their prime (as almost every band in the world after their  first albums), but I'd like to hear something composed mainly by them (i mean the 3 of them), just to see if there's still something good there, and if it's still there i'm going to enjoy it, no doubt. Personally I don't think we'll see another album which is not just a reworked CD 2, 7 years are gone already, and the songs they still play today were made in the same span of time. Think about that. i think people in general shouldn't expect anything from gnr today (on the other side they can willingly spend  a shitload of money for nice memorabilia or some golden pit areas). I mean  CD was 15 years ago. Are u really asking me what are my expectations? Cmon man. How can you even put up that question?

In any case, if i really have to wish something, I'd like to hear finally a good slash's guitar tone (more than anything else) and 2016 axl's voice again but I really don't know what are the odds.

Yes I am asking.

What would "something good" that you would actually enjoy be like?

It's obviously something pretty specific.

It's more interesting to find out what that is, than seeing people claim they "need new music". And then have them say "not that kind of music" when the band releases something new. Making general statements about wanting something only to complain that what they got isn't what they actually asked for, is kinda amusing (up to a point, before it starts getting boring).... Wink

/jarmo

DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2023, 07:18:30 PM »

One of GNR’s worst song besides My World. I think Slash and Duff recorded it to appease Axl, to get out new music.

Thats pretty obvious

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: