Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Absurd? (Do you think Slash and Duff enjoyed recording over Silkworms?)
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absurd? (Do you think Slash and Duff enjoyed recording over Silkworms?)  (Read 3264 times)
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 03:02:40 AM »

Should i have any expectation? They are way paste their prime (as almost every band in the world after their  first albums), but I'd like to hear something composed mainly by them (i mean the 3 of them), just to see if there's still something good there, and if it's still there i'm going to enjoy it, no doubt. Personally I don't think we'll see another album which is not just a reworked CD 2, 7 years are gone already, and the songs they still play today were made in the same span of time. Think about that. i think people in general shouldn't expect anything from gnr today (on the other side they can willingly spend  a shitload of money for nice memorabilia or some golden pit areas). I mean  CD was 15 years ago. Are u really asking me what are my expectations? Cmon man. How can you even put up that question?

In any case, if i really have to wish something, I'd like to hear finally a good slash's guitar tone (more than anything else) and 2016 axl's voice again but I really don't know what are the odds.

Yes I am asking.

What would "something good" that you would actually enjoy be like?

It's obviously something pretty specific.

It's more interesting to find out what that is, than seeing people claim they "need new music". And then have them say "not that kind of music" when the band releases something new. Making general statements about wanting something only to complain that what they got isn't what they actually asked for, is kinda amusing (up to a point, before it starts getting boring).... Wink

/jarmo

Am i complaining? Not at all. i'm just stating facts and telling my thoughts taht could appear hard, but not hostile. I'm the one who's saying don't hold your breath. I'm just happy they are friends (or have a friendly relationship) again. It was cool, after all these years. I told you, i have no expectations. I was happy with the first leg of the tour but you know it turned quickly into a never ending tour and, after the axl dc pinnacle, we have this descending parabola in Axl's voice that it prevents me to go and enjoy their shows again. When we talk about new music, it's ok they didn't trash the cd 2 material and they are working on it, but as i said many times even talking about CD only, the never ending rework of these songs made them lose their original genuinity, at least to my ears. What i could say is that having a tight duo like slash and duff  those songs sounds more solid than the CD ones. But that's it. I can't be SPECIFIC on something they still have to make (i listen to a lot of music I don't have any specific taste, when it's good music it's good music), but be sure that when they will make  a new song at least i will tell "this is coming from them" and it will have an original structure  even with a different sound or style if compared to uyi or afd and my judgement would be more like "i like it - i don't like it" instead of "this doesn't sound right because of this and because fo that".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:11:35 AM by ITARocker » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 04:54:46 AM »

No, not you. You're actually honest in saying you want "something good" instead of the generic "I want new music". I'm just curious to find out what that means.

I guess everyone wants something good, but no one can specify if that implies a certain style or not.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 05:27:07 AM »

No, not you. You're actually honest in saying you want "something good" instead of the generic "I want new music". I'm just curious to find out what that means.

I guess everyone wants something good, but no one can specify if that implies a certain style or not.

/jarmo

Coming to music it's very hard to say, because it's often about "feelings".  To me something good sometimes is the full song, sometimes it's an original never heard melody, sometimes the lyrics that fit well the mood of the song... It depends. it's not strictly linked to a "style". When we talk about gnr, and maybe here's where we can expect something, you can think about a lead guitar who goes along well with the vocals trough solid riffs based songs, which sometimes are even not that great but those things match so well that even a bad song can flow like it's nothing. The right alchemy between musicians goes beyond the music itself sometimes, and gnr were that thing, maybe i just want to find out if their music can arouse that feeling again.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 05:36:02 AM by ITARocker » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 06:20:46 AM »

For me, something good tends to be artists I like. For example, one of my favorite artists is Mark Lanegan (RIP). Not every song is as good as the other. But I still enjoy listening to them.

Finding faults in his music doesn't really interest me. If one song doesn't sound as good as another, I can always just skip it instead of analyzing everything. I don't really look for things to improve in songs. Because to me, it's up to the artist to decide how their art is presented. If they want to release something recorded on a boombox, it's their choice.

But that's just me! Others prefer to go into details about what notes weren't played, how a song wasn't mixed properly, how something has too many layers etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 10:22:07 AM »

they can go back to the material they worked on when Slash was still in the band in 96, too...

"I feel that some of the recordings we did in that limited amount of time had some of the best playing that Slash had done at least since Illusions. I was there. I know what I heard and it was pretty exciting."

"I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of Slash were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith's Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out."

"The 1996 tracks are not something I would want to approach without Slash, because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. That's the reason why that material got scrapped."

I wonder how much of that is still left "unreleased"? For instance, demos of "Back and Forth Again" can be heard in one of the Making F'N videos documentary with Axl whistling a melody over it and I remember hearing that "Fall to Pieces" was brought up as a demo for GNR while they were still working together. Since the Illusions, Slash has released 2 Snakepit albums, 2 Velvet Revolver albums, a solo album, and 4 albums with the Conspirators. How many of these 96 Aerosmith Rocks riffs are left unreleased? If they are in the vault, I'd still like to hear them!

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 10:41:25 AM »

they can go back to the material they worked on when Slash was still in the band in 96, too...

"I feel that some of the recordings we did in that limited amount of time had some of the best playing that Slash had done at least since Illusions. I was there. I know what I heard and it was pretty exciting."

"I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of Slash were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith's Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out."

"The 1996 tracks are not something I would want to approach without Slash, because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. That's the reason why that material got scrapped."

I wonder how much of that is still left "unreleased"? For instance, demos of "Back and Forth Again" can be heard in one of the Making F'N videos documentary with Axl whistling a melody over it and I remember hearing that "Fall to Pieces" was brought up as a demo for GNR while they were still working together. Since the Illusions, Slash has released 2 Snakepit albums, 2 Velvet Revolver albums, a solo album, and 4 albums with the Conspirators. How many of these 96 Aerosmith Rocks riffs are left unreleased? If they are in the vault, I'd still like to hear them!

yeah, I suppose it depends if the material was GNR copyrighted or there was nothing but a verbal agreement about the stuff.
about Fall to Pieces it's like Slash teased Axl with it then when he was interested in he acted like "well, I quit and I take it with me"  hihi

plus, there's apparently complete songs, so I'm not sure Slash could use them for his own

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 01:45:00 PM »

plus, there's the demos Duff & Izzy worked on circa 95...a lot of material to dig really.

if they find the good producer to do it and more importantly someone for select the best tracks it will be killer.

the more I think about it the more I think Axl gave probably too much freedom to everyone to choose the songs on CD.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2023, 06:27:27 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the riffs/songs from 1996 would be tainted for them by the memory of the band breaking up. Which sucks because frankly, I'd think it safe to assume those were probably better than whatever they might come up with today. I know I put the Snakepit albums lightyears above the latest SMKC albums.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: