Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:59:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is Guns N' Roses a nostalgia act like Kirk Hammet said?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Guns N' Roses a nostalgia act like Kirk Hammet said?  (Read 2078 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« on: December 10, 2022, 05:48:02 PM »

Hi:

This is something that I read about "Guns" that was attributed to Kirk Hammet.

What is your take on this? What do you think?

My opinion is that there is a vast expectation for what GN'R might do in the future but they surely offer nothing new, after many, many years, and this has been a constant in their career. They mostly play the oldest songs and do not release new material, songs that have not aged badly, so they keep playing them, but surely they could have developed a more modern style.

Someone, we, the fans, do not get tired of their music, which means we truly enjoy what they did.

When I think of the last concerts the band has been giving, I consider that most of the people attend them for the oldest version of the band, that is why the 2016 GN'R reunion was a success, saving GN'R and especially Axl from the downfall it was experiencing.

So I think it is true that GN'R is at least partially a nostalgia act.

Take care.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 05:51:10 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 12:07:52 AM »

He said it, I didn't read it so I don't think about it.   hihi

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 02:26:12 PM »

Hi:

This is something that I read about "Guns" that was attributed to Kirk Hammet.

What is your take on this? What do you think?

My opinion is that there is a vast expectation for what GN'R might do in the future but they surely offer nothing new, after many, many years, and this has been a constant in their career. They mostly play the oldest songs and do not release new material, songs that have not aged badly, so they keep playing them, but surely they could have developed a more modern style.

Someone, we, the fans, do not get tired of their music, which means we truly enjoy what they did.

When I think of the last concerts the band has been giving, I consider that most of the people attend them for the oldest version of the band, that is why the 2016 GN'R reunion was a success, saving GN'R and especially Axl from the downfall it was experiencing.

So I think it is true that GN'R is at least partially a nostalgia act.

Take care.

I think they are, and it's not a negative thing. Metallica are too, in the current climate. It's all about legacy now, and it's about the band doing things they want to do and what makes them happy.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 05:07:28 PM »

Yeah, they are.

But guess what?  Our boy is 60.  (still sounds weird to say)  And the others are just behind him.  That's legacy act time for any band.

Only exception I can think of is U2.  I'm talking in terms of big, stadium act level bands.  They still put out new material and play a lot of it on stage.  They are the outlier in that regard.

I guess Pearl Jam too, but I don't think they are quite 60.  Probably close though.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 08:02:01 PM »

that said, U2 made a whole tour based on an album from 1987, which is purely a nostalgia act.
but yeah, they still do music (that nobody listens to  hihi)

I can think of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Megadeth, The Who, The Smashing Pumpkins (ok around 55 years old) & Depeche Mode, they are in their 60's and more, touring and making new music.

I wish I could add Aerosmith but well...still waiting a new LP (last one was...)

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 01:10:54 AM »

To me, Metalllica is a nostalgia act themselves.  Yes, they've released new material more recently than Guns N Roses, but I find that irrelevant.  At the end of the day, every band has their prime period, and if they're lucky, they extend their time in the spotlight due to their old material standing the test of time.

If 80% of Metallica's fan base were new fans based on new albums, I'd concur that they aren't nostalgic.  But of course, we all know differently.  Their fanbase (including myself) consists of almost entirely fans from their golden era.  And yeah, they've released a new record or two that haven't been bad, but it really changes nothing.  They're past their prime just like Guns N Roses is.

Frankly, in either case, I don't see what the hell is so wrong with that.  If oodles of fans are willing to pay to see you decades after your prime, I'd say that's a substantial accomplishment. whether you have new music out or not.

If I wanted to see a band live, I'm not really giving a damn about some silly "nostalgia" label.  I'm there for the music I love, just like everyone else is.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 01:17:38 PM »

based on the photos on their website in the gig section, your affirmation about the age of the fans seems totally inaccurate.

for example : https://www.metallica.com/tour/2022-05-05-porto-alegre-brazil.html

doesn't look like old people to me.

also, it's not the age of your fans that makes you a nostalgia act  hihi but the fact you don't produce new music and living on your past success.

since Chinese Democracy, Metallica did Death Magnetic, Hardwired… to Self-Destruct, and now 72 Seasons.

it's not much, one LP every 7-8 years, but way better that what we got with GNR.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 03:23:30 PM »

it is funny how we like old gnr music
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 07:13:05 PM »

I understand the frustration of having missed out on so many years Axl, Slash and Duff could have been together touring and making music. It's unfortunate and disappointing.

But, the fact that they are all around, and they are together again is nothing short of a miracle considering where things stood 10 years ago.

Just something I remind myself of every now and again.

Ali
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 05:38:43 AM »

I think there has to be a presumption that the band is a nostalgia act. This year is the seventh year of the reunion and there is zero evidence that an album is imminent. I’m not sure that the release of 2 singles carries any weight against this argument. To be clear, I have no issue with this. I just wish the band would come out and acknowledge it. It’s the carrot dangling that drives me (and I suspect thousands of other fans) nuts. Would I be disappointed? Sure. Would I still go to the shows? 100%

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
Silex
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 06:33:10 AM »

Yes, just like Metallica and every other band from that era. When my friend heard Hard Skool for the first time on the radio, he taught it sounded great. And when I said that some hardcore fans don't like it because it's an old song, he replied "Well nobody expects them to make new music anyway, they're an OLD band. Nobody goes to GNR show to hear new songs. People go to GNR shows to hear Sweet Child, Paradise and November Rain". Just as people go to Metallica shows to hear Master of Puppets Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman. Nobody goes to Metallica shows to hear whatever that new song was called. Lux something.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 03:09:10 PM »

Yes, just like Metallica and every other band from that era. When my friend heard Hard Skool for the first time on the radio, he taught it sounded great. And when I said that some hardcore fans don't like it because it's an old song, he replied "Well nobody expects them to make new music anyway, they're an OLD band. Nobody goes to GNR show to hear new songs. People go to GNR shows to hear Sweet Child, Paradise and November Rain". Just as people go to Metallica shows to hear Master of Puppets Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman. Nobody goes to Metallica shows to hear whatever that new song was called. Lux something.

Actually I'm enjoying Lux Aeterna. I wouldn't go to the show for that one song but if the rest of the tracks on the new album are as good that might just make me part with my cash.

Here today...ready to rock
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: