Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:15:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is money the main reason why original GNR lineup is not coming together?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is money the main reason why original GNR lineup is not coming together?  (Read 5320 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« on: January 09, 2023, 03:31:55 PM »

I was thinking that the main reason why Izzy and Steve, were not part of the reunion was that making money was more important for Axl than creating music, at least that was my perception, since Izzy by his side, was a great contributor to GNRs compositions.

I miss Izzy, I wish he'd still be in the band but I see he is not recognized by Axl and the current members, which seem to be doing fine financially without him or steven, kind of like they do not need them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:38:38 AM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
shadowofthewave
Opening Act

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 04:05:31 PM »

I think if it was money he would have done the reunion a lot sooner. I think it's loyalty to Frank and Fortus as well as the perceived lack of dependability of Adler and Izzy.
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 06:41:47 PM »

I kinda get the feeling Izzy didn't really want to go back to the madness of GnR the guy could be on stage with them if he really wanted to but I always got the impression he didn't like how big GnR got and the demands and commitments that go with being in a big band ,they've been on the road for the last 5 years he may not have wanted to commit to that amount of touring or when he did turn up for the reunion rehearsals it reminded him of why he left the band In the first place and that he didn't wanna go through that again.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 06:45:32 PM »

Steven was in rehearsals with them early on until something happen, shoulder problems?, and he couldn't go on tour.  I thought he would have been in the mix a while back but it never happen.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 10:08:20 PM »

I think if it was money he would have done the reunion a lot sooner. I think it's loyalty to Frank and Fortus as well as the perceived lack of dependability of Adler and Izzy.

Bingo. Everybody wants it to be some salacious conspiracy but Occam's Razor applies.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 08:36:05 AM »

Bingo. Everybody wants it to be some salacious conspiracy but Occam's Razor applies.

I think it comes down to need. Axl needed Slash and Duff to make this feel like a true reunion. But once you have a majority of the original members (and the three most well-known ones) you don't need the rest.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 11:49:44 AM »

I think in Axl's mind steven is just a drummer like anyone else in terms of contribution in writing music (i'm not talking about the "sound" he brings) plus he's always been a pain in the ass, so even tough he knows that steven he's loved by fans, he doesn't think he deserves that spot. Frank is a better choice in the long run, even if he doesn't fit like steven (or maybe even like another drummer).

Let's talk about Izzy now in Axl's perspective... Izzy left by choice in 1991 leavin' Axl  in a less power position over the other members (duff and slash). They were longtime friends and suddenly he found himself alone to carry the gnr burden. And after 25 years he found that his friend wants the same amount of money knowing well that he doesnt bring 1 more guy into the arena (dont get me wrong, everyone knows the importance of izzy, but he already gets the money from the works he made on AFD an UYI). So it was like, izzy you have to be realistic (all another story would be the making of a new album), don't ask for that.

So yes, to me money is the main reason, at the end of the day it's work... And i don't really understand Izzy's choice, he had everythin' to lose from his refusal and he lost it ... money, fun, a new beginning even for his solo work.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:52:47 AM by ITARocker » Logged
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 03:48:44 PM »

I think in Axl's mind steven is just a drummer like anyone else in terms of contribution in writing music (i'm not talking about the "sound" he brings) plus he's always been a pain in the ass, so even tough he knows that steven he's loved by fans, he doesn't think he deserves that spot. Frank is a better choice in the long run, even if he doesn't fit like steven (or maybe even like another drummer).

Let's talk about Izzy now in Axl's perspective... Izzy left by choice in 1991 leavin' Axl  in a less power position over the other members (duff and slash). They were longtime friends and suddenly he found himself alone to carry the gnr burden. And after 25 years he found that his friend wants the same amount of money knowing well that he doesnt bring 1 more guy into the arena (dont get me wrong, everyone knows the importance of izzy, but he already gets the money from the works he made on AFD an UYI). So it was like, izzy you have to be realistic (all another story would be the making of a new album), don't ask for that.

So yes, to me money is the main reason, at the end of the day it's work... And i don't really understand Izzy's choice, he had everythin' to lose from his refusal and he lost it ... money, fun, a new beginning even for his solo work.

For Izzy it probably came down to need, too. I'm sure he's doing just fine, and felt like he didn't need to take less than the others to disrupt his life and go on a grueling, worldwide, and seemingly never ending, tour.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 04:14:42 PM »

For Izzy it probably came down to need, too. I'm sure he's doing just fine, and felt like he didn't need to take less than the others to disrupt his life and go on a grueling, worldwide, and seemingly never ending, tour.

Naaa, they are pushin 60 ... this is like their last ride. And "the less" money we are talking about is probably a pile. So, i don't know, the "they didn't want to split the loot equally" thing to me is very childish at this point in his life as an artist (if that is the true reason). U will never have another chance to play in big stadiums in your whole life, is not something that happens every day. If it's just for the money, it's stupid. because 10000 100000 1000000 are better than 0 in any case.
Ginger King
VIP

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 04:36:53 PM »

Naaa, they are pushin 60 ... this is like their last ride. And "the less" money we are talking about is probably a pile. So, i don't know, the "they didn't want to split the loot equally" thing to me is very childish at this point in his life as an artist (if that is the true reason). U will never have another chance to play in big stadiums in your whole life, is not something that happens every day. If it's just for the money, it's stupid. because 10000 100000 1000000 are better than 0 in any case.

I don't know man...didn't Izzy say he was turned off to the reunion because they didn't want to "split the loot equally"? Seems like he made a business decision not to take less. While that may seem crazy to most (even half a shit ton of money is a lot) by all accounts Izzy leads a pretty low-key, non-extravagant life (there's no house in Malibu).
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 07:53:58 PM »

Izzy doesn't want to play stadiums, that's part of the reason he left in the first place.

Izzy just doesn't care really. He's a nomad anyway, he was never a reliable guy.

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 08:32:48 AM »

depends of the guys.

about Izzy, yeah, that's clearly money. they didn't think he deserves as much as them.
in what world Izzy deserves less than Duff, that's a legitimate question. probably they think Duff
worked hard to hoist himself up at the level of notoriety where he is today, and Izzy did the opposite,
without acknowledging his songwriting crucial role.

for Steven, it's his addictions and reliability. he didn't reach the professional level the others are at.

always better to share a big loot in 3 parts than 4, for just pleasing the hardcore fanbase.
never forget GNR is a 80's Reagan era band, with values of that period.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 09:19:15 AM »

I was thinking that the main reason why Izzy and Steve, were not part of the reunion was that making money was more important for Axl than creating music, at least that was my perception, since Izzy by his side, was a great contributor to GNRs compositions.

I miss Izzy, I wish he'd still be in the band but I see he is not recognized by Axl and the current members, which seem to be doing fine financially without him or steven, kind of like they do not need them.

Steven was fired before the Use Your Illusion tour. Izzy quit during the tour.

The others had to continue and finish the tour. Now the assumption is that if the reason the two didn't rejoin the band is purely about money?

Let's assume it is. Is it a fair deal to split everything five ways? Considering what happened in the past?

If you think yes, then your opinion probably is that it's all the band's fault for not paying the other two enough.

If you think no, maybe you realize the reason might be more complex than just them not splitting the money equally.

For example, Richard's been in the band for over 20 years. He's toured with them since 2002. Frank's been there since 2006.

Steven did the Appetite tour with the band. No major international headlining tours. Izzy quit during their first major international headlining tour and hasn't toured since 1993, unless you count his three date Japan tour in 2000 as a tour...

You can miss past members if you want. But the above are facts. If you're in the band and you are looking at your options, one option is to stick with what you have, guys who have completed multiple international tours and have toured with you for years, or go with past members who haven't, then maybe the choice is a bit trickier....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 10:53:34 AM »

It is true Izzy did not stay in the band as long as the other members, but his contribution to the sound of GN'R is undeniable, that is why IMO, he deserves to be paid good money, more than Duff in my opinion, for his contribution and legacy.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 10:56:40 AM »

It is true Izzy did not stay in the band as long as the other members, but his contribution to the sound of GN'R is undeniable, that is why IMO, he deserves to be paid good money, more than Duff in my opinion, for his contribution and legacy.

He gets paid for his songwriting contributions even if he's not in the band.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 11:17:28 AM »

He gets paid for his songwriting contributions even if he's not in the band.

/jarmo

ok, but he could be in the band, and give his sound to new songs. They used to be able to write amazing songs together, and they are missing it.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 12:10:57 PM »

ok, but he could be in the band, and give his sound to new songs. They used to be able to write amazing songs together, and they are missing it.

But you asked why he's not in the band, and now you're saying he could be....

/jarmo

GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2023, 05:57:52 PM »

While Izzy's contributions to the band should always be held with high regard i think we also have to look at this from a timeline perspective. Axl & Izzy did alot of their writing together in the mid to late 80s lets say in a time of excess with sex,drugs and rock & roll. I know Izzy has written quite a few solo albums but what would izzy's realistic contributions have been in to this iteration of the band would their have been different songs then we got? I know there is always gonna be a sentimental feeling towards cuz of his contributions to the beginnings of this band. But i think we do owe guys like Richard who as others have said here been with this band for 20 years thats what almost 4 to 5 times longer then izzy was in the band for.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2023, 08:50:27 PM »

never forget GNR is a 80's Reagan era band, with values of that period.

Uh, I'm pretty sure they were opposed to most of what Reagan stood for...

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2023, 08:55:05 PM »

While Izzy's contributions to the band should always be held with high regard i think we also have to look at this from a timeline perspective. Axl & Izzy did alot of their writing together in the mid to late 80s lets say in a time of excess with sex,drugs and rock & roll. I know Izzy has written quite a few solo albums but what would izzy's realistic contributions have been in to this iteration of the band would their have been different songs then we got? I know there is always gonna be a sentimental feeling towards cuz of his contributions to the beginnings of this band. But i think we do owe guys like Richard who as others have said here been with this band for 20 years thats what almost 4 to 5 times longer then izzy was in the band for.

I agree, all the music Izzy has written since Guns has been a snoozefest. He's highly overrated.

That said, the only role I could see him even wanting to take would be helping with songwriting. He clearly has no desire to play live because he doesn't even do it with his own band. There's no reason he couldn't pop in while they're writing and offer some ideas, but let Fortus play the rhythm parts.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: