Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:56:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is your opinion on Axl's voice in the Chinese Democracy Album?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your opinion on Axl's voice in the Chinese Democracy Album?  (Read 1257 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« on: January 15, 2023, 02:39:51 PM »

I consider Axl sounds different.
That his voice had already changed for this time, for this album.
I find that he reduced his power or strength.
To me his voice sounds like he tries to reach the notes, and he does, but with a different quality.
Maybe somewhat nasal.

What do you think?

I like Chinese Democracy I just found Axl lost part of his powerful voice during that time. I thought something similar when I heard the "Live Era ..." albums, since Axl had re recorded his parts in the songs.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:12:11 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 03:20:34 PM »

Same power, just clean and less "raw". The main problem is that it sounds thin cause it's suffocated by all the instruments: to make "space" for his voice they had to compress it to death. If u listen to the demos the voice sounds less stretched. This is one of the thing that makes the songs overproduced.
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 03:31:19 PM »

Same power, just clean and less "raw". The main problem is that it sounds thin cause it's suffocated by all the instruments: to make "space" for his voice they had to compress it to death. If u listen to the demos the voice sounds less stretched. This is one of the thing that makes the songs overproduced.

I think it was that rawness Axl had that I loved. I like the songs and the album, but I do not like Axl's voice too much in CD.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 09:22:15 PM »

The album is literally unique for its lack of compression and high dynamic range...

"Mastering engineer Bob Ludwig offered three versions of the album for approval. Rose and Costanzo selected the version without dynamic-range compression to avoid being involved in the ongoing loudness war.[134] Ludwig wrote: "I was floored when I heard they decided to go with my full dynamics version and the loudness-for-loudness-sake versions be damned ... The fan and press backlash against the recent heavily compressed recordings finally set the context for someone to take a stand and return to putting music and dynamics above sheer level."[134]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Democracy#Final_sessions

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 06:01:34 AM »

awesome vocal work, very versatile and deep in emotion, very surprising too considering the variety of the approaches, more mature.

it's the best thing of the record in my opinion, we're all into Guns N'Roses mainly because we are Axl's voice addicts  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 10:15:27 AM »

The album is literally unique for its lack of compression and high dynamic range...

"Mastering engineer Bob Ludwig offered three versions of the album for approval. Rose and Costanzo selected the version without dynamic-range compression to avoid being involved in the ongoing loudness war.[134] Ludwig wrote: "I was floored when I heard they decided to go with my full dynamics version and the loudness-for-loudness-sake versions be damned ... The fan and press backlash against the recent heavily compressed recordings finally set the context for someone to take a stand and return to putting music and dynamics above sheer level."[134]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Democracy#Final_sessions

Not being "heavily compressed" doesn't mean that there is 0 compression (which obviously is pure bullshit) or whatever u want to call the thing. In a lot of songs axl's voice doesn't even vibrate, it sounds like a flute. If there wasn't compression or some kind of adjustment, u will notice the ups and downs of his voice. Something u don't hear at all, which is pretty impossible having his voice shot right into your ears and not "hidden" among the instruments (like in afd for example) and knowing that he's not corelli. They made a choice, but actually his voice, at least to my ears, lost some nuances compared to the demos.
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 03:03:18 AM »

OP - perfect

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: