Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose Future and Expectations towards New Music
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose Future and Expectations towards New Music  (Read 3457 times)
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« on: January 28, 2023, 02:45:43 PM »

I had this thought the other day after listening to him at Lisa Marie's funeral.  I am sure this thought has been brought up in many of the topics on this message board but when we think of the history of GNR those first 4 albums Appetite, Lies and UYI 1 & II they are held in such high regard but UYI the last true GNR original material before the band broke up in the mid 90s was in 1991. We have had one New material album ChiDem in 2008 with a makeshift lineup that certain part of the fan base just would never accept no matter how good i think when we all look back on things that album is. Axl is in his 60s if I am correct and we would be crazy to think he would sound like he did in say 06-2012 let alone sans early 90s. I feel like anything GNR releases will always be compared to those 4 albums and not sure that is fair to do given all the years since those albums came out.

Is there anyone this band could still be successful with new material but have a different sounding Axl cuz I feel he needs even if a slight twinge to his singing style that may not put as much stress on his vocal chords. He just can't do what he did when he was in his 20s-30s or even 40s & 50s.
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 06:57:19 PM »

We can keep making excuses of why there is no new music from GNR. Bottom line they can continue to tour without releasing new music. I think after Chinese Democracy, AxL has no zest to putting out a new album. Case in point they now have 5 months to put out new music but nothing will come out. Endless touring and the you keep paying we will keep playing. Its a damn shame to waste time and talent. beer

Rizzo160
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 07:03:56 PM »

he recorded his vocal parts 20 years ago, don't worry about that.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 07:51:12 PM »

I'm not into the same music I was in the 80's and 90's.  I love Wichita.  I like the oldies, good to hear them but Wichita was a breath of fresh life with band for me.

It's really up to the band, what they want to do and what they want to risk.  There's a whole fan base with certain expectations they can tour on, where the money is.  Or you know, not be Neil Young, do what they want and see if they can reinvent themselves in some new form and risk it all.  They started out as something different.  Will they go out that way or stick with what they think the fans want?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 03:49:01 AM »

I had this thought the other day after listening to him at Lisa Marie's funeral.  I am sure this thought has been brought up in many of the topics on this message board but when we think of the history of GNR those first 4 albums Appetite, Lies and UYI 1 & II they are held in such high regard but UYI the last true GNR original material before the band broke up in the mid 90s was in 1991. We have had one New material album ChiDem in 2008 with a makeshift lineup that certain part of the fan base just would never accept no matter how good i think when we all look back on things that album is. Axl is in his 60s if I am correct and we would be crazy to think he would sound like he did in say 06-2012 let alone sans early 90s. I feel like anything GNR releases will always be compared to those 4 albums and not sure that is fair to do given all the years since those albums came out.

Is there anyone this band could still be successful with new material but have a different sounding Axl cuz I feel he needs even if a slight twinge to his singing style that may not put as much stress on his vocal chords. He just can't do what he did when he was in his 20s-30s or even 40s & 50s.

"Not sure that is fair"? It was his choice to make 1 album every 20 years. It wasn't bad fate. I mean 30 years of excuses (from the fans) it's enough, an it would be enough for anybody. If anything, I think he should focus more on his baritonal voice and on something he can play live like it's so easy, Cd etc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 05:21:17 AM by ITARocker » Logged
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 01:19:27 PM »

There is also psychological barriers, at this point, for AXL to release new music. His work has been extremely succesful, that adds pressure, but at the same time it has been frustrating and painful, with regards of CHIDEM. These situations have probably left a mark in his spirit, mind, and behaviour.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 03:48:53 PM »

You have to remember that with Chinese Democracy, it wasn't just an album. It was the idea of a new line up, and a new album, without Duff and Slash.

It didn't matter how great the music was, it was still "just Axl and some other guys". Unfortunately some people couldn't get over the fact that the band had changed.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 06:22:32 PM »

You have to remember that with Chinese Democracy, it wasn't just an album. It was the idea of a new line up, and a new album, without Duff and Slash.

It didn't matter how great the music was, it was still "just Axl and some other guys". Unfortunately some people couldn't get over the fact that the band had changed.

/jarmo

I think it's not much that the band had changed, but the fact that it was *another* band.
I mean, even legally, it wasn't Guns N'Roses anymore, but Guns N'Roses 2, since Axl left
the first band and created the second one.

then, the fact that Duff & Slash were basically releged to hired musicians, I don't blame
them to find the deal insulting and quit. from Axl's perspective I'm sure he had his reasons,
keep going with the name, self preservation, we don't know the details of the behind-the-scene
but that absence of knowledge of what happened is probably the main thing which built the
defiance in many many fans too.

I enjoyed almost every line up so far (not the DJ Ashba area) but I totally get the "it's not GNR without Duff & Slash"

Axl said it himself a long time ago, and maybe deep down he never stopped to think that way...

DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 07:21:50 PM »

/jarmo

I think it's not much that the band had changed, but the fact that it was *another* band.
I mean, even legally, it wasn't Guns N'Roses anymore, but Guns N'Roses 2, since Axl left
the first band and created the second one.

then, the fact that Duff & Slash were basically releged to hired musicians, I don't blame
them to find the deal insulting and quit. from Axl's perspective I'm sure he had his reasons,
keep going with the name, self preservation, we don't know the details of the behind-the-scene
but that absence of knowledge of what happened is probably the main thing which built the
defiance in many many fans too.

I enjoyed almost every line up so far (not the DJ Ashba area) buthttp://I totally get the "it's not GNR without Duff & Slash"

Axl said it himself a long time ago, and maybe deep down he never stopped to think that way...

This worldwide succesfully stadium tours since 16 have proved that. With any of the CD lineups that would be imposible. Axl, Slash and Duff are the Big Three in minds of millions of fans

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 09:14:50 PM »

David Bowie showed us that a masterpiece can be done, even on a deathbed.

Im sure whatever is coming will be great.
Maybe a mellower album to fit their age. Who knows?

Absurd and Hard Skool werent mellow. And they killed songs like Recless Life last year. So they can pull anything off.

Im anxious to hear the coming singles Slash was talking about.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
DeN
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 07:08:38 AM »

Maybe a mellower album to fit their age. Who knows?

they're not quite there yet  hihi

look at AC/DC, look at The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith...way much older guys,
still rocking hard, these I think are the models for Axl & co.

that said it would be ridiculous to have the same kind of attitude and lyrics that on Appetite.

the guys eats three meals a day for a while now...

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 07:56:53 AM »

It said Guns N' Roses on the album, tickets and merchandise. Some people just couldn't get over that fact. And it showed.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 08:17:33 AM »

sure, if you ommit everything else, that's the same name on the box.

but it's like buying a soup with a new recipe, without the same ingredients
which keeps the same name, does it tastes the same? is it worse?
not necessarely, but it's not the same.

you're a big Pearl Jam fan Jarmo, right? now imagine Eddie keeping the name and
doing what he wants without Stone Gossard, Matt Cameron and Mike McCready.

would you still consider the band as Pearl Jam because the name is the same on the box,
or more like Eddie's version of Pearl Jam?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 11:34:29 AM »

The point I was trying to make is that (we know the band was different), some people did not accept the change and judged everything with that in mind.

It wasn't only about the music.

If you buy that soup and think it'll suck because they changed the recipe, before you tasted it. Are you giving it a fair chance?

We're not gonna have the name discussion. In 2023. It's twenty years too late!  hihi

/jarmo

DeN
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 11:40:01 AM »

I agree, some people didn't give a chance to the music at the time.

I've noticed it changed a bit since, it seems Chinese have some kind of a new appreciation since the reunion.

damn 20 years  hihi

cineater
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 12:39:02 PM »

There's something fresh with GNR when they do things like Wichita and Black Bird.  Even Slash's solos have something.  I don't know who's bringing that spark but that's the one I'm waiting to see if it catches fire. 

There's something to say for finding you've reinvented yourself.  Not what others have to say about it but what it does for you.  Something in following what makes you happy.  It's not that far to go once you take that step.  It does though, take all your time once it takes hold.   hihi  You find yourself living again.  Cheesy

DeN
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 06:42:15 AM »

fresh ? Wichita Lineman & Blackbird are songs from 1968...  hihi

cineater
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »

Yeah that's probably not the right musical word for that.   hihi  It's like when Willie Nelson covered those oldies from my parents' time.  Whole different side to that artist.  Loved him back in the 70's but my lifestyle changed and Stardust went with me into those changes.  But he went back to his old ways and I dropped him.  Fast forward to not a few years back and I found him again through his different side.  Apparently so did everybody else because those two albums at the time did really well.  Of course, Neil Young changed it up with his Black something album or maybe it was Rust Never Sleeps, but I didn't like his change and have passed on everything he's put out since.  Suppose he's happy with what he's doing.

Anyway, if the band is tired and bored of themselves, there's a spark in there for a different way.  I liked it.  Heard some bitching about it but I'm tired and bored of those folks anyway.  hihi

Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 06:36:35 PM »

ok

Did you guys enjoy the cover GNR did of Blackhole sun by Sound Garden?

I thought Axl had lost his voice.

It could have been amazing to hearing it when he was younger.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2023, 12:15:15 AM »

ok

Did you guys enjoy the cover GNR did of Blackhole sun by Sound Garden?

I thought Axl had lost his voice.

It could have been amazing to hearing it when he was younger.

Not a fan of that song and they did it straight.  But they did it okay.  The screen show was good.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: