Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:42:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Ticket prices
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ticket prices  (Read 5994 times)
cineater
Legend

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2023, 09:21:02 AM »

I think you are looking at the price increase once it hits those companies that sell the tickets.  They priced them around what that ticket normally sells for other events in that venue. I noticed on mine the TM price was just a little bit below what you would pay if it was for a ballgame even though it was more than double what the venue was selling it for.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
KillerK
Opening Act

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2023, 09:33:11 PM »

Alan Cross, Canadian radio broadcaster and music journalist, presented a two-part show on Ticket Prices for his podcast, "Ongoing History of New Music". Check out episode 979: "The weird history of concert tickets, part 2". From historical research, he explains why the prices seem so excessive these days compared to "back in the day" when you could see Alice Cooper for $5 including a free drink ticket.

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings.com/the-ongoing-history-of-new-music-episode-979-the-weird-history-of-concert-tickets-part-2/

Personally, I know I'm paying more for shows these days, but I'm also paying a lot less for the music itself and memorabilia. I used to spend hundreds if not a thousand or more/year on albums, tapes, CDs, posters, t-shirts, magazine subscriptions, and so on. Now, I listen and read online for next to nothing as it's a shared membership and I still own the memorabilia and don't need/buy more. I agree with Alan Cross and what /Jarmo/ posted earlier - bands gotta make up the money somehow.

I can understand not going to the show because it's unaffordable for you, but not going because there's no "new" music is short-sighted. Live music is new music and you're also experiencing it for the first time in that particular place in time. Sure, I've seen November Rain played live several times, but not like I did in Guadalajara with a young couple I just met and that was their wedding song - was very touching to see. Not to mention, hearing Coma (was it) while watching a young woman in that all-too-familiar wedding dress get carried off by security for rushing the stage in Monterrey (think she was hyper-ventilating). I'll add the sound of NIghtrain - I've heard live plenty, but it was new-sounding to me - the time my dad and I had to rush out of the venue so that we could break out of the parking lot before the crowd rush - the last time I saw him/we hung out before I was shipped off to Korea for a year. Think about it - Live music is new music.

peace
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2023, 10:13:33 AM »

I think it's lost on some of you that Guns N' Roses is now a legacy rock band.

Meaning, most of their fanbase is older and more affluent.  Certainly more so than when they toured in their prime.

Look, I'm 45.  I'm no millionaire, but I make a nice living.  A $300 ticket is not going to break me.  They know that and price it accordingly.

Most places look pretty full in clips I see.  You guys might have a better argument if they had to black curtain off unsold seats.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: