Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's voice. Everything about it.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's voice. Everything about it.  (Read 6095 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« on: June 15, 2023, 05:21:40 PM »

What is your opinion about it?

Past and Present.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:23:56 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 07:13:55 PM »

1991 is a long time ago….let it go.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 09:01:09 PM »

I have always been confused why it changed so much when he was not touring at all from 1994-1999. You'd think any damage would be done on tour, and be evident by the end of it. But he sounded possibly the best he ever has in 1993 on the Skin N Bones leg. Why would it change when he is at rest? I've noticed the same thing with Brian Johnson, too.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 10:29:37 AM »

I have always been confused why it changed so much when he was not touring at all from 1994-1999. You'd think any damage would be done on tour, and be evident by the end of it. But he sounded possibly the best he ever has in 1993 on the Skin N Bones leg. Why would it change when he is at rest? I've noticed the same thing with Brian Johnson, too.

In my opinion the way axl sang in the 80s & 90s when he was in his 20s/30s was not necessarily conducive for someone in his 50s/60s. If we are to get a new album of material I will be very curious to see if there is a different style that won't be as taxing on his vocal chords. Age effects us all in different ways
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 12:38:23 PM »

If u listen to his voice from 1991 to 1993 he was gettin thinner and cleaner already, with much less "vibrato" (if we can call it this way) and a more nasal sounding voice.

Then he had probably vocal cords surgery, after 1994. Plus i think he had something done (nose-teeth) that changed his enunciation. After surgery he had to re-learn again how to sing in a sustainable way. ANd even without surgery, he'd had to do that...
The rasp in 2006 and 2010, after the "clean voice" years was really good BUT very different at the same time.

He has been using falsetto since 2018 (he lasted a little after the ac dc tour, but that clearly destroyed his voice again) very far from the early 2000s years (where he had good breath sustain and volume), but now he struggles even with that technique.

In any case the voice doesn't need to rest, on the opposite you need to keep your voice trained with a proper technique. If u don't do shit for years, your voice shut down. We are not made for singing, it's like when u leave the gym: you lose your muscles cause we aren't built for having muscles..

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 12:45:18 PM by ITARocker » Logged
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 04:52:15 PM »

If u listen to his voice from 1991 to 1993 he was gettin thinner and cleaner already, with much less "vibrato" (if we can call it this way) and a more nasal sounding voice.

Then he had probably vocal cords surgery, after 1994. Plus i think he had something done (nose-teeth) that changed his enunciation. After surgery he had to re-learn again how to sing in a sustainable way. ANd even without surgery, he'd had to do that...
The rasp in 2006 and 2010, after the "clean voice" years was really good BUT very different at the same time.

He has been using falsetto since 2018 (he lasted a little after the ac dc tour, but that clearly destroyed his voice again) very far from the early 2000s years (where he had good breath sustain and volume), but now he struggles even with that technique.

In any case the voice doesn't need to rest, on the opposite you need to keep your voice trained with a proper technique. If u don't do shit for years, your voice shut down. We are not made for singing, it's like when u leave the gym: you lose your muscles cause we aren't built for having muscles..

This I like.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 05:43:19 PM »

I'm not his doctor (or a doctor) so none of this should be taken as diagnostic, or any sort of assessment of his ACTUAL vocal condition. I'm just spitballing.

Spasmodic dysphonia and/or scarring of the vocal folds could result in permanent damage.  Both are not really great candidates for positive surgical outcomes, and both are considered relatively permanent.

Long story short: There are actually vocal conditions that do not get better with rest (but get better through repeated use).  There are also vocal conditions that are permanent, and are just never going to get appreciably better, and don't have a lot of good treatment options to lessen their impact.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 07:23:41 PM »

Long story short: There are actually vocal conditions that do not get better with rest (but get better through repeated use). 

This seems counterintuitive to me. What would be an example of that?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 06:16:02 AM »

This seems counterintuitive to me. What would be an example of that?

You would think, but, like with muscles, sometimes you need PT (which means targeted, regular, use) and sometimes you need rest. Both are valid treatment, but for different conditions. Without a diagnosis, you just don't know which one is the more apt form of treatment for the condition.

There are several vocal cord paralysis conditions that actually get worse if you don't use your voice. And sometimes extended vocal rest, without re-acclimating your voice to regular use, can actually be the CAUSE of vocal damage. It's not ALWAYS about rest.  It just depends on what's actually wrong.

Now, OVERUSE is never good.  But overuse is largely defined by what your vocal cords are used to, what they're capable of, and pushing beyond those bounds..

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 03:56:50 PM »

It's hit or miss these days.

Will always sound better in the building than it will on a bootleg live.  In his prime, you didn't have that distinction.  The bootlegs all sound great.  Look at the 1992 Las Vegas show they just put out in the UYI boxset.  That's Axl Rose.

Frankly, it's been hit or miss since the disastrous 2002 tour.  Just different levels of different.  But obviously does not hold a candle to his vocals from 1992/93.

The year I can't figure out is 2006.  He sounded AWESOME that year.  Did not sound all that different from his prime.  Not sure what summoned that up, or why it was never remotely sustained after that one year.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 06:27:11 PM »

In 2009 and early 2010 he sounded great as well. That's why I think his voice needs rest to recover. Also, look at 2016 versus today, or even 2018. He always seems to sound the best after a break.

Street of Dreams Osaka 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzOCrSAHs3U

The only exception is 2000, which I think probably had more to do with getting nodules removed so he couldn't go raspy.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 06:28:43 PM by PermissionToLand » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 05:14:32 PM »

That's a great point.  Those 4 shows in December 2009 are excellent.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 03:30:05 PM »

I think he does a lot of work to get what he does. Some nights are better than others. Frankly I am proud of him for getting up there night after night and giving it everything he has. I remember when I first heard them, and I commented to my cousin I didn't want to get hooked on them because Axl's voice would be shot by the time, he was 30. lol Got hooked anyway and he is still up there giving it everything he has. Much respect!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 04:50:19 PM »

In 2009 and early 2010 he sounded great as well. That's why I think his voice needs rest to recover. Also, look at 2016 versus today, or even 2018. He always seems to sound the best after a break.

Street of Dreams Osaka 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzOCrSAHs3U

The only exception is 2000, which I think probably had more to do with getting nodules removed so he couldn't go raspy.

I think u are missing a big point: he can even rest for 5 years. But at that point he would be almost 70 years old... It doesn't matter if it gets a little better than before for some shows...he gonna be worse in any case. ANd then you gonna say oh, but he's almost 70 years old, probably he needs some rest...Man, it doesn't work that way.
He kept wasting years and here we are. That's the only truth. You can't buy time, sadly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 04:56:16 PM by ITARocker » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2023, 10:37:52 AM »

I think he does a lot of work to get what he does. Some nights are better than others. Frankly I am proud of him for getting up there night after night and giving it everything he has. I remember when I first heard them, and I commented to my cousin I didn't want to get hooked on them because Axl's voice would be shot by the time, he was 30. lol Got hooked anyway and he is still up there giving it everything he has. Much respect!!

Honestly, I'm more excited that he seems happy onstage for the first time in his life and the band conducts themselves in a 100% professional manner.

Do I prefer the 1992 vocals, in a vacuum?  Sure do.  But things don't exist in a vacuum.  To get the 1992 vocals, you have to put up with all his bullshit of that era too.  Don't miss all that even a little bit.

Life is often a trade off.  This is ours, as fans of this often maddening band.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2023, 10:41:20 AM »

Just as aside, I live in Philly.  Hershey is not *that* far, but I generally need you to come to my town.  No matter who you are.

But have a good friend who, while not a GNR superfan like we are does liek the band a lot.  And this is a guy that goes to like to 30-40 concerts a year.  So he is no novice.

He said the show was great.  I did ask about Axl's vocals.  He said a few rough spots, but the band (Axl included) had some much energy up there, that neither he (nor anyone) cared about a few iffy vocals at times.

AXLRIVERS
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2023, 11:25:40 AM »

Not that it matters but il participate ha. I actually loved his vocals circa 2006 to 2010. Even going back to '93 those vocals stated to get a bit too much for me....I dnt know what the word is but just too over screamy or over raspy to point of it being too much and overly forced. But maybe the overlong tour was too blame.
2006 -2010 was the perfect mix for me. That Rock am Ring gig and those new York shows where the pinnacle I felt. . But hey it's not 2006 anymore. As DX says man they alll look happy and healthy. That's way more important.
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2023, 12:00:06 AM »

Axl killed it during his time in Ac/Dc. I think his time with the band may have ended his classic voice. He gave his all out of respect for the band I believe. At the end of the day nobody really knows.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2023, 12:04:08 AM »

https://youtu.be/CFSxi96o43Q?si=RfVjxWJxdMBOe9_0

He hasn’t sounded like this since 2006 and hasn’t sounded the same since.
Still puts on a great show I believe.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2023, 01:51:18 PM »

Does anybody know if Axl still smokes? He was obviously a smoker back in the 80/90s. I haven't seen any photos of him in the last few years of him smoking so maybe he quit but pending on how long he did smoke maybe that had some long term effects when it comes to vocals. Completely speculating on my part.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: