Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Perhaps is being released
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Perhaps is being released  (Read 15898 times)
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2023, 08:06:33 PM »

Does the keyboard lick remind anyone else of What Kind of Life by Slash's Snakepit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5zsTiekUX4

Ironically the most industrial song Slash ever wrote.

It does sound like same chord progression alright

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2023, 09:19:21 PM »

I’m getting off this train it’s a fucking joke Guns N’ Roses has become a kin to kiss.  The fact that they can’t put out anything new since 2016 is pathetic.  None of these songs even sound like Guns N’ Roses. I don’t even understand the direction of their music anymore.  To each their own. Quite frankly, they’ve become a  cash grab touring  band ,that’s it .  You’d think between all their talent they could actually release a memorable, decent song. It’s quite clear now how instrumental Izzy was in there music catalogue

For the sake of conversation, I feel that Axl kept off the songs held back from CD because as you said, "None of these songs even sound like Guns N' Roses". I completely agree but that was the talk back in the late 90s/early 2000s.....Axl had taken the band into some different areas of music, including industrial rock and a bit of techno.

When Axl came out of seclusion in early 2006 he was carrying around a cd with 30 tracks on it. Some were said to be Chinese Democracy bound songs. Some were said to have no vocals, some with unfinished vocals, and a bunch completed. The 10-15 songs that didn't make it on CD were leaked. None of them sounded like GN'R. A couple could go on a Buckethead Pikes album. But I was okay with that. In fact, I liked a couple songs more than 75% of what ended up on CD.

Axl had said long ago that he was taking GN'R places nobody expected. Slash knew it and chose not to be part of it before he left.

I'm not crazy about Hard Skool or Absurd. I'm hoping Perhaps will be along the lines of some of the unreleased unfinished songs that were leaked. Some of them had more potential than Hard Skool & Absurd (Silkworms).

And as far as them currently being a cash grab touring band, I don't see it that way. A cash grab would've been a big tour and be done with it. They've been going for 7 years now. I really think Axl is just fucking lazy when he's not touring. He could have led the way for at least one complete album since Slash & Duff rejoined. Or he's got some deep-seated fear of rejection, because like you said, it's not GN'R.

My dream would be that they finish the leaked songs and mix it with whatever they come up with as the reunited unit.

And yeah it sucks they won't have that Izzy Groove on any new music.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 09:21:26 PM by MrMojoRa » Logged

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2023, 10:36:24 PM »

I like the song alot.
I hope it will be popular cause its a quality song.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GNRMTL
Headliner

« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2023, 11:01:08 PM »

Ali don’t be so sensitive we all know how good the band is & that Axl Rose is one of the best lead singers to ever bless a microphone. Ass-kissing aside there are some great tracks on Chinese democracy but there’s also plenty of vaulted appetite and illusion material.  Just another Sunday  would have such mass appeal.  All to say your comparison to anything goes reckless life and shadow of your love , to what has presently been released is ABSURD.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 11:06:39 PM by GNRMTL » Logged

Miami 92
Montreal 92
Toronto 02
4 nights at the Hammerstein
Ottowa 06
Montreal 10
Hiro 12
Miami Filmore 12
Montreal 13
New Jersey 16
Montreal 17
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2023, 11:16:13 PM »

Ali don’t be so sensitive we all know how good the band is & that Axl Rose is one of the best lead singers to ever bless a microphone. Ass-kissing aside there are some great tracks on Chinese democracy but there’s also plenty of vaulted appetite and illusion material.  Just another Sunday  would have such mass appeal.  All to say your comparison to anything goes reckless life and shadow of your love , to what has presently been released is ABSURD.  
Reckless Life, Anything Goes and Shadow of Your Love were not originally conceived by GN'R. They ended up being worked on by GN'R and released as GN'R songs. Ergo, they are GN'R songs, like Perhaps. They're all GN'R songs. That is a statement of fact. How you feel about the songs is subjective.

Ali
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2023, 03:01:59 AM »

Im listening to it on Spotify here in Spain

Me too.

Three times in a row now.

Overall, I like it, it's ok. I like it more than I liked Absurd when it came out. With Hard Skool though, I was hooked from the start.

Hopefully Perhaps grows on me.

By the way, What happens at 1'41"? seems like a part is missing before the solo? Anybody else noticed it?

The song always had a couple of interesting time sig changes, but that’s also just a bit of a bad edit unfortunately. You can still hear the old solo’s first higher pitched note before it fades behind the new solo from Slash. Think they’ve tried to lessen you noticing it by Slash’s guitar coming in with quite an attack, but you can hear it.

Annoying that isn’t cleaner. But a great song with a great video. Some good editing on the video to make the visuals look in time with the song too!

This is my fav of the new songs.

Back In Power
shaundix
Opening Act

« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2023, 03:07:14 AM »

The first piano notes remind me of Hey Bulldog
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2023, 03:48:36 AM »

Me too.

Overall, I like it, it's ok. I like it more than I liked Absurd when it came out. With Hard Skool though, I was hooked from the start.

By the way, What happens at 1'41"? seems like a part is missing before the solo? Anybody else noticed it?

The song always had a couple of interesting time sig changes, but that’s also just a bit of a bad edit unfortunately. You can still hear the old solo’s first higher pitched note before it fades behind the new solo from Slash. Think they’ve tried to lessen you noticing it by Slash’s guitar coming in with quite an attack, but you can hear it.

Annoying that isn’t cleaner. But a great song with a great video. Some good editing on the video to make the visuals look in time with the song too!

guys be serious, they left that guitar part by choice. It’s a robin finck song at the end of the day, I think they left that part to fill a sound vacuum and leave a kind of homage to him. I think it’s cool.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 03:54:12 AM by ITARocker » Logged
badobsession81
Rocker

« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2023, 08:15:34 AM »

Me too.

guys be serious, they left that guitar part by choice. It’s a robin finck song at the end of the day, I think they left that part to fill a sound vacuum and leave a kind of homage to him. I think it’s cool.

Fair enough, just my take on it - still love the song and this completed version. Just a minor observation about that particular edit and blend they’ve done.

Back In Power
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2023, 09:41:27 AM »

Just listened to Perhaps through Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones plugged into my RODECaster Pro mixer.

PERHAPS SOUNDS FUCKING AMAZING!

They took their time mixing this gem and it was worth the wait.

So many layers within this song and it's all incredible.

The only other tests for me are to listen to it through my Sony earbuds, my Bose wifi speaker and the sound system in my car.

This ranks near the top of my favorite CD songs.

The solo is incredibly tame.....perhaps Slash will rip it on the next single.

Axl's vocals are killer!!!

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
Oliver
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2023, 09:44:39 AM »

I love the song! Probably a live debut tonight?
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Just listened to Perhaps through Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones plugged into my RODECaster Pro mixer.

The only other tests for me are to listen to it through my Sony earbuds, my Bose wifi speaker and the sound system in my car.

I always listen on different devices too. It's remarkable how different elements are picked up on different speakers or headphones. Especially all the Chinese Democracy stuff

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2023, 10:31:10 AM »

Well, I take back earlier my earlier comments.  I do prefer this new version to the old demo.

But I do think Robin's solo was better.  But it's not like Slash's is terrible or anything.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2023, 10:48:56 AM »

I always listen on different devices too. It's remarkable how different elements are picked up on different speakers or headphones. Especially all the Chinese Democracy stuff

Yes, ESPECIALLY the CD stuff!

For example, my the Bose system in my car does not do it justice. Through headphones TWAT is unbelievably layered.

Someday I want to find a killer record player so I can listen to CD via vinyl through headphones.

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2023, 12:10:55 PM »

I’m thrilled with Perhaps, cool video too, love the behind the scenes montages.

I see that the General is going to be B-side when they release the single on vinyl, hope they release it digitally as well.

Could they be ramping up to a full album release later this year or do tiny think they stick to singles?

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
badobsession81
Rocker

« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2023, 12:30:09 PM »

Well, I take back earlier my earlier comments.  I do prefer this new version to the old demo.

But I do think Robin's solo was better.  But it's not like Slash's is terrible or anything.

Think this is where I’m at. Have had the song on loop several times today! 🤣🙌

Back In Power
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2023, 01:16:13 PM »

The song is growing on me, I must say!

From the demo and the first listen to the actual release, it was sort of "meh" for me, but now my feeling is that it's actually quite cool. The music video (love that!) just adds to the experience as well.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2023, 02:06:36 PM »

The video is AMAZING!!

The creator of the video did an amazing job synching vocals and instruments with the song considering Perhaps has not yet been played live.

Melissa's HOTNESS shines at the 1:25 mark  love

GNRMTL
Headliner

« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2023, 03:51:48 PM »

OK I retract my previous statements perhaps I was wrong .  I love this song.

Miami 92
Montreal 92
Toronto 02
4 nights at the Hammerstein
Ottowa 06
Montreal 10
Hiro 12
Miami Filmore 12
Montreal 13
New Jersey 16
Montreal 17
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2023, 06:34:18 PM »

It's the same notes, but the 2nd note sustains, whereas in the original solo it was cut short as he struck another note. So it can't be the original solo.

The song is growing on me, I must say!

From the demo and the first listen to the actual release, it was sort of "meh" for me, but now my feeling is that it's actually quite cool. The music video (love that!) just adds to the experience as well.

I agree, earlier in this thread I said it's just Catcher in the Rye with more words and a less catchy chorus, but the final product sounds much better with proper production to give the instrumentation weight to it. And catchy choruses can sometimes be annoying, as I felt with Hardskool.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: