Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  B-sides with a touch of Slash and Duff
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: B-sides with a touch of Slash and Duff  (Read 4488 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« on: August 18, 2023, 06:40:40 PM »

GN'R management has, so far, released three B-sides from the Chinese Democracy era and it is planning to release another one soon.

I was wondering  if we will hear actual new material in the new album, or if we will continue with this streak.

My personal opinion about these last releases is that they do not feel like GN'R but instead they feel like Axl and former GN'R members songs with a touch of Slash and Duff.

Axl once said that it is very hard to ask a musician to play the parts of other musicians, when asking former members of GN'R to play Slash, Duff and Izzy's parts. Well I was just wondering how Slash and Duff feel about having to play over other musicians parts, considering they said they enjoy it but taking in count Slash's big ego and that credibility is important for him.

Some Fb pages promote Perhaps as a new song composed by Slash Duff and Axl, but that is not true, they did not sit down and created it, most of it was already written. I think most of the authors are already out of thr band, the same with The General.

I personally do not like where GN'R composition is going, because I do not see Duff's or Slash's old material being released with thr bame of GN'R now, it is clearly Axl's decisions and they are taking many years.

Izzy is surely missed and needed to write new songs.

Well Axl is the boss, no more to say.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 06:45:17 PM »

What the fuck are you talking about? Three B sides?

Says who?

I'm shocked you managed to mention Izzy in your post! How many new songs has he released since August 2021?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 06:50:33 PM »

Where’s a “bucket of popcorn emoji” when you need it…

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
MHC
Headliner

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 07:14:09 PM »

Jarmo is such a shill. He’s so paid-for that he either can’t see or won’t admit that this band is totally dysfunctional in its ability to write, record, and release new music.

I wouldn’t call these B-sides, but definitely “Chinese leftovers”. It’s so embarrassing that Frank has been the drummer for SEVENTEEN years and doesn’t even make it onto Perhaps.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 10:55:02 PM »

What exactly was the point of this post? The original question was already answered by Slash a while ago... after The General, you can probably expect two more songs next. He said 4 to 6 songs if I recall correctly. Presumably, that was Hard Skool/Absurd, then Perhaps/The General. Atlas Shrugged and State of Grace next? Or maybe a surprise? If he wasn't counting Hard Skool/Absurd, then maybe Oklahoma/Soul Monster too? Who knows. Fun times!

Beyond that, we have no idea who composed Perhaps. Robin is pretty clearly on the demo but it could have been entirely Axl, it could have predated the CD lineup (like This I Love and potentially Hard Skool), etc. And either way who cares? Are you just mad that Slash worked on songs that might have been worked on without him? Why? Did you complain when Guns recorded songs written by West Arkeen? Cuz if you didn't, keep that same energy kid.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 11:29:42 PM »

Jarmo is such a shill. He’s so paid-for that he either can’t see or won’t admit that this band is totally dysfunctional in its ability to write, record, and release new music.

I wouldn’t call these B-sides, but definitely “Chinese leftovers”. It’s so embarrassing that Frank has been the drummer for SEVENTEEN years and doesn’t even make it onto Perhaps.

Oh really?

You're so full of yourself thinking you understand me or what I'm about.

You use the cliché Chinese leftovers phrase which just proves how clueless you really are.

Go listen to the AFD leftovers on UYI. Oh, right, those aren't leftovers....

What exactly was the point of this post?

Another excuse to mention Izzy. That is it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 12:01:23 AM »

GN'R management has, so far, released three B-sides from the Chinese Democracy era and it is planning to release another one soon.

There's a lot wrong with your statement. The songs aren't b-sides from the Chinese Democracy era and GNR management hasn't released them. Geffen Records has released them.

I was wondering  if we will hear actual new material in the new album, or if we will continue with this streak.

All of the biggest hits from Use Your Illusion were written before Appetite for Destruction. Releasing a song for the first time makes it a new song. Working on the song for a long time doesn't mean it's not a new song when it's finally completed.
Headliner

Do you know where the f@*k you are?

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 12:08:32 AM »

Oh really?

Hey, I love some of those leftovers. November Rain, Don’t Cry, Back Off Bitch. No one complains about those. I’m digging Perhaps and am glad to see anything new come out even if it happens to be an older song that is reworked with Duff and Slash. The band owes us nothing. Once people realize that, they’ll sleep better.
You're so full of yourself thinking you understand me or what I'm about.

You use the cliché Chinese leftovers phrase which just proves how clueless you really are.

Go listen to the AFD leftovers on UYI. Oh, right, those aren't leftovers....

What exactly was the point of this post?

Another excuse to mention Izzy. That is it.

/jarmo

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2023, 12:11:34 AM »

Jarmo is such a shill.

What did he say that wasn't true? Why not attack his argument instead of attacking him personally?

I wouldn’t call these B-sides, but definitely “Chinese leftovers”.

They aren't Chinese leftovers though. Is Use Your Illusion II leftovers from Use Your Illusion I? No. The band was working on two albums simultaneously.

Before Chinese Democracy was released, work had begun on the follow-up. The band was working on dozens of songs for many years. Some for the first album, some for the second. No different than Don't Cry and November Rain being worked on years before Appetite for Destruction was released.

It’s so embarrassing that Frank has been the drummer for SEVENTEEN years and doesn’t even make it onto Perhaps.

Why is it embarrassing? There are countless bands with a touring drummer and a studio drummer that aren't the same person. If Brain doesn't want to tour, that means Axl isn't allowed to work with him even if he wants to?
cineater
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2023, 02:46:26 PM »

Jarmo is such a shill.

What did he say that wasn't true? Why not attack his argument instead of attacking him personally?

I wouldn’t call these B-sides, but definitely “Chinese leftovers”.

They aren't Chinese leftovers though. Is Use Your Illusion II leftovers from Use Your Illusion I? No. The band was working on two albums simultaneously.

Before Chinese Democracy was released, work had begun on the follow-up. The band was working on dozens of songs for many years. Some for the first album, some for the second. No different than Don't Cry and November Rain being worked on years before Appetite for Destruction was released.

It’s so embarrassing that Frank has been the drummer for SEVENTEEN years and doesn’t even make it onto Perhaps.

Why is it embarrassing? There are countless bands with a touring drummer and a studio drummer that aren't the same person. If Brain doesn't want to tour, that means Axl isn't allowed to work with him even if he wants to?

Good points.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 02:59:38 PM »

The demos were completed with other artists, and probably written with their influence, integrants such as Finck, Buckethead and Mantia, or co-written by them.

That is why I do not feel it is original GN'R, at least not the 3 original members: Slash, Duff and Axl writing this music as Perhaps, the song, is credited for, for instance.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 03:15:53 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2023, 03:12:27 PM »

These are definitely NOT new songs, since we have had access to the original demos, we have heard them, at least for some years so far.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 04:05:00 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2023, 03:31:02 PM »

Do we know the origins of Perhaps?

Is it one of those that Richard mentioned stems all the way back to the mid-90s?

I mean, since the official press release said “written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year", are they more comfortable with that statement if the song originates from a long time ago when Duff and Slash actually worked on it? I know the statement sounds true either way, as they probably recorded for the song this year, and Axl obviously has a hand in writing it.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2023, 03:46:15 PM »

Do we know the origins of Perhaps?

Is it one of those that Richard mentioned stems all the way back to the mid-90s?

I mean, since the official press release said “written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year", are they more comfortable with that statement if the song originates from a long time ago when Duff and Slash actually worked on it? I know the statement sounds true either way, as they probably recorded for the song this year, and Axl obviously has a hand in writing it.

This is what Rolling Stone magazine says about the song:

Following its accidental leak via digital jukeboxes last weekend, “Perhaps” officially arrived Friday, and while it’s credited as a new song created with the input of the GN’R core trio of Rose, Slash, and McKagan, the track has its roots in the sessions for Chinese Democracy; an early version of the song has long-circulated among bootleggers.

“Perhaps” won’t be the only new song GNR release this year: The band has announced a 7″ single for the track backed by another new recording titled “The General,” which like “Perhaps” has roots in the Chinese Democracy sessions. The vinyl single arrives October 26.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 03:50:15 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2023, 03:52:06 PM »

So these songs may be new for most but some of us know they have their roots in Chinese Democracy sessions and were not written by Slash and Duff.

It takes credibility away from them for me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 04:07:39 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2023, 04:28:57 PM »

I disagree with this, all gunners songs take a long process to write, they change and form until the bands satisfied to put them out, look at say Don't cry which was an old song people heard before it was officially released, Also if we never
heard the leaks these would be new, your fault for spoiling it for yourself..... my opinion, you can tell it's from the Chinese sessions but its fine and im happy to get anything new released, so happy there still happy as a band and playing together...
Love it.

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2023, 04:31:59 PM »

So these songs may be new for most but some of us know they have their roots in Chinese Democracy sessions and were not written by Slash and Duff.

Reckless Life, Shadow Of Your Love, Anything Goes have roots in bands that existed before GN'R. Does that bother you as well?

Why does it matter when the original idea was conceived? Do you like the song? Yes? No? If not, move on. Find something you like instead of constantly whining about how Izzy is not in the band anymore.

We fucking get it.

Guns N' Roses released a song the majority of fans have not heard before. It's new to most fans. Here's a shocking fact for you: The next song they release, you haven't heard and chances are it won't have Izzy on it. Yes we know, you won't like it.

/jarmo

ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2023, 04:55:57 PM »

Imho it's very simple: song was originally written at the piano by axl. Finck added the guitar parts. That's it. They erased the Finck guitar parts and voilà, the song is written by the 3 of them. Nothing unusual, but obviosuly is not a "new song" nor a song coming from a true original cooperation. The song would stand alone with the piano and the voice, i mean, the main structure comes from that. Lyrics were there already. But probably this time they really went to a studio togheter were axl finally sang again his parts, slash played his parts, duff his parts ....They had some communication and real interactions in terms of "I like this I like that, you should do this you should that " more than what they did for absurd or hard skool. In any case all the new songs sound tighter and tighter, they are miles away from the chaotic overproduction of CD. This finally sounds like a band...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 05:03:58 PM by ITARocker » Logged
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2023, 04:59:00 PM »

So again, does Guns recording West Arkeen songs bother you (i.e. on Illusions)? Not every song GNR has was written by Slash and Duff. The writing credits are out there on this crazy thing we call the internet. November Rain and Don't Cry existed before Appetite came out. The first recording of Don't Cry was in 1985. Doesn't that bother you as well? That was an old demo that was new to most in 1991...

Keep that same energy. Otherwise, it sounds more like you're complaining for the sake of complaining. This isn't new for this band unless you've been here a week.
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2023, 05:20:06 PM »

Thank you for the input guys, take care.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: