Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  B-sides with a touch of Slash and Duff
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: B-sides with a touch of Slash and Duff  (Read 4489 times)
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 05:29:02 PM »

I will be back if "the GENERAL" is released as an Axl, Slash, Duff song.  hihi
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 05:38:46 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2023, 05:44:08 PM »

Imho it's very simple: song was originally written at the piano by axl. Finck added the guitar parts. That's it. They erased the Finck guitar parts and voilà, the song is written by the 3 of them.

But we don't really know do we? We suspect that Hard Skool (Jackie Chan) originates all the way back to 95-96, which means the timeline could be:

- 95-96: Axl, Slash and Duff all did some work on the song.
- 98-99: New guys come in and reworks the song into the demo we know
- 20-21: Slash and Duff are back, either takes the song back to more of its original form, or comes up with a brand new concept. Either way re-records it, and it's released.

Obviously we don't really know, but maybe it could be the case with Perhaps as well. I am curious because of the comment Richard gave many(?) years ago that they were working on material that stems all the way back to when Slash was still in the band in the 90s.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2023, 06:07:49 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1513648772798987&set=gm.10160529143510091&idorvanity=2346615090

Is this an official statement from the band?

Because it is written that Perhaps is a new single written and recorded by Axl, Slash and Duff, this year. and that is just not true.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 06:10:14 PM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2023, 06:37:28 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1513648772798987&set=gm.10160529143510091&idorvanity=2346615090

Because it is written that Perhaps is a new single written and recorded by Axl, Slash and Duff, this year. and that is just not true.

The statement came in a press release from Audacy. Not sure if it came from the band, or from that company. It also appeared on gnrmerch.com and was modified there - it now reads:

"Guns N’ Roses return with a single entitled “Perhaps” out now via Geffen Records. It stands out as the legendary rock band’s first release since 2021. The 7” includes the R-Side, “The General.”"

It no longer mentions songwriting credits. Slash may get a songwriting credit in the end because he added guitar parts. The band has always tinkered with songs for years. Nothing new.
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2023, 07:23:45 PM »

The statement came in a press release from Audacy. Not sure if it came from the band, or from that company. It also appeared on gnrmerch.com and was modified there - it now reads:

"Guns N’ Roses return with a single entitled “Perhaps” out now via Geffen Records. It stands out as the legendary rock band’s first release since 2021. The 7” includes the R-Side, “The General.”"

It no longer mentions songwriting credits. Slash may get a songwriting credit in the end because he added guitar parts. The band has always tinkered with songs for years. Nothing new.

Thank you, I just do not understand why Slash would get credit for writing guitar parts when he did not get them in Estranged for instance.
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2023, 08:32:31 PM »

These are definitely NOT new songs, since we have had access to the original demos, we have heard them, at least for some years so far.

Nobody forced you to illegally download stolen demos of song ideas that weren't finished.

If a movie is worked on for 15 years, it's still a new movie when it's finally released.
cybercurves
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2023, 12:34:11 AM »

It's absolutely 100% true. The official version that got released was written and recorded by Axl, Slash and Duff.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2023, 09:11:01 AM »

“Perhaps” is a brand new Guns N Roses song released in 2023.  The fact that some people gained access to stolen demos that the band didn’t intend on you hearing doesn’t change that. 

A “b-side” is a term for a song that used to be on the other side of a single, so the term is not even being used correctly here.  The term “b-side” is used as a derogatory term but that also makes no sense because there is an endless list of massive hit songs that were “b-sides.”  A good portion of fan favorite songs by Oasis were b-sides.  Anyone know the b-side on the “ You could be Mine” single?  The list goes on and on.

What are the rules for what constitutes a “new” song ?  Do we have to lock all the band members in a room and they can’t leave until they record a brand new song that contains no lyrics or riffs that they previously thought of before  being locked in said room?  It’s beyond silly.   NO bands make music like that, especially in 2023.

Also by this logic, is “November Rain” the biggest “b-side” of all time ?
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2023, 10:04:53 AM »

Outtake is the proper description. Bob Dylan has a ton of incredible songs that weren’t on the album they were recording for. Sometimes outtakes can be better than the tracks on the album.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2023, 10:10:39 AM »

GN'R has left songs off albums for reasons that certain people choose to ignore. Calling these songs leftovers just shows the biased ignorance.

Don't Cry wasn't on Appetite, and not due to its quality. Just like certain songs were left off Chinese. If you have more songs than fits on the album, you save some for later. Maybe you don't want to have more slow songs on an album. So you save some for later (Don't Cry, November Rain).

The Use Your Illusion albums contain many "AFD leftovers" and I've yet to see anyone being bothered by that, as much as these recent singles.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2023, 10:53:55 AM »

These are definitely NOT new songs, since we have had access to the original demos, we have heard them, at least for some years so far.

Nobody forced you to illegally download stolen demos of song ideas that weren't finished.

If a movie is worked on for 15 years, it's still a new movie when it's finally released.

Did Axl ever refer to the demos as stolen?

What did Axl ever say about the demos?

I think demos were published on the internet twice, back in the beginning of the 2000s and in 2019.

How come this happened twice?

Did Axl ever sue anyone for uploading the demos on the internet?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 11:07:40 AM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »

GN'R has left songs off albums for reasons that certain people choose to ignore. Calling these songs leftovers just shows the biased ignorance.

Don't Cry wasn't on Appetite, and not due to its quality. Just like certain songs were left off Chinese. If you have more songs than fits on the album, you save some for later. Maybe you don't want to have more slow songs on an album. So you save some for later (Don't Cry, November Rain).

The Use Your Illusion albums contain many "AFD leftovers" and I've yet to see anyone being bothered by that, as much as these recent singles.

/jarmo

Except these songs are written and almost completed with other artists.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 11:20:16 AM by Carlos Gunner » Logged
Carlos Gunner
Rocker

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »

Let's be honest, most of us downloaded and listened to Chinese Democracy demos.

So they are not new songs for us.
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2023, 12:09:48 PM »

Outtake is the proper description. Bob Dylan has a ton of incredible songs that weren’t on the album they were recording for. Sometimes outtakes can be better than the tracks on the album.

The reason I'd disagree about the outtake label here is the fact that GNR was working on two albums simultaneously. You wouldn't label Use Your Illusion II as outtakes from Use Your Illusion I would you?
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2023, 12:13:52 PM »

ABSUЯD was written by Axl, Dizzy, Slash and Duff. Axl and Dizzy wrote the initial ideas for the song and then Slash and Duff added ideas when they rejoined the band.

Hard Skool was written by various members both new and old. Chris Weber co-wrote Reckless Life and Move to the City, but they're still GNR songs.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2023, 01:37:18 PM »

/jarmo

Yes current or now former Guns N Roses members.  They were in the band at the time , these aren’t random people off the street. 
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2023, 02:57:16 PM »

The reason I'd disagree about the outtake label here is the fact that GNR was working on two albums simultaneously. You wouldn't label Use Your Illusion II as outtakes from Use Your Illusion I would you?

Completely different because they finished all the tracks and used them all at same time.

Plans are meaningless if not executed. Outtake is not a put down.

November Rain, Don’t Cry and Back Off Bitch were AFD outtakes.

bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2023, 04:03:59 PM »

Completely different because they finished all the tracks and used them all at same time.

Plans are meaningless if not executed. Outtake is not a put down.

November Rain, Don’t Cry and Back Off Bitch were AFD outtakes.

You may not intend outtakes as a put down, but generally speaking "outtakes" is to refer to songs that weren't good enough or didn't make the cut for an album. Not songs that were intended for a different album in the future.

Shadow of Your Love is an outtake from Appetite, November Rain isn't. November Rain wasn't recorded for Appetite because it was decided to record it for a future album instead. Shadow of Your Love was recorded and didn't make the cut and used as a b-side.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2023, 04:30:41 PM »

6 to one Half Dozen to another! I’m just glad they are formally releasing these songs.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2023, 05:08:14 PM »

6 to one Half Dozen to another! I’m just glad they are formally releasing these songs.

Agree there.  The band has been producing/working as a performing act but it's good to have them back as putting out music whether I like it or not.  I'll always have an interest in what this band is doing.  That's never going to fade away.

hihi  Okay, Dead reference there but they don't do space and drums and that's a major plus for them.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: