Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Reissue of Chinese Democracy with the Big 3 would you or wouldn't you?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reissue of Chinese Democracy with the Big 3 would you or wouldn't you?  (Read 3696 times)
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« on: September 18, 2023, 06:14:55 PM »

As the years have gone by since 2008 I feel like Chinese Democracy has aged like a fine wine. I truly enjoy a majority of the album a couple of the songs I am eh on but 90% i think is amazing. I think this album is obviously a victim to who was and who wasn't on it. Had the big 3 been on this album I think their would have been alot more airplay on the radio and positive fan reaction but because it wasn't slash & duff and a bunch of people most probably had never heard of i.e. Robin Finke, Tommy Stinson, Bumblefoot, Chris Pitman and Buckethead. Which by the way I think Finke who had alot of presence on the album did an amazing job. We are still 5 yrs away from a 20yr anniversary but if GNR decided to release a version of Chinese Democracy with Slash & Duff what would people thoughts/feelings be?
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 06:29:04 PM »

No and the musicians had talent.  I already own that music.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 07:02:03 PM »

No….it’s questionable as to how much Slash and Duff have added to the three songs they have released.

Any reissue of Chinese needs to be the versions written and recorded by the guys who wrote them. Respect needs to be shown for that era.

Just my opinion.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 07:46:48 PM »

No….it’s questionable as to how much Slash and Duff have added to the three songs they have released.

Any reissue of Chinese needs to be the versions written and recorded by the guys who wrote them. Respect needs to be shown for that era.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you I think they all did a great job and deserve to be recognized. Part of me will always be bothered that Mainstream will never acknowledge the greatness of this album even though I shouldn't be dictated by what mainstream a fair weather fans think.
axlroses
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 09:07:41 PM »

Chinese Democracy needs no alterations.  I like the additions that Slash and Duff have made to live versions of the songs.  Time to move on and keep putting out new music.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 05:53:41 AM »

As the years have gone by since 2008 I feel like Chinese Democracy has aged like a fine wine. I truly enjoy a majority of the album a couple of the songs I am eh on but 90% i think is amazing. I think this album is obviously a victim to who was and who wasn't on it. Had the big 3 been on this album I think their would have been alot more airplay on the radio and positive fan reaction but because it wasn't slash & duff and a bunch of people most probably had never heard of i.e. Robin Finke, Tommy Stinson, Bumblefoot, Chris Pitman and Buckethead. Which by the way I think Finke who had alot of presence on the album did an amazing job. We are still 5 yrs away from a 20yr anniversary but if GNR decided to release a version of Chinese Democracy with Slash & Duff what would people thoughts/feelings be?

It would be a nonsense, plus slash won't agree
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 06:42:39 AM »

I think the band need to move on, have a break, then go and record some new songs without all the bells and whistles. Just write, record, release then do another tour.

The remaining CD material could be released further down the road as a collectable, maybe. But the conversation, if nothing else, has to move on and look forward.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 02:22:12 PM »

No.  Not even a little bit.

The album didn't land with the public.  It never will.  People just need to accept that reality.

Honestly, Slash and Duff would have been well within their right to tell Axl they weren't playing any of that shit they had nothing to do with.  But I feel they have been extremely accommodating in that regard.

My opinion is that that they are doing that for the fans.  The fans that hold CD in the same regard as the rest of the GNR catalog are the *extreme* minority.  But those people are also in those buildings, buying tickets.  Slash and Duff have elected to throw them that bone at the live shows.

But this thinking among segments of GNR fandom that CD is some misunderstood masterpiece that will one day get its due? 

Just not gonna happen.  Gotta make you peace with that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 02:52:49 PM »

The fans that hold CD in the same regard as the rest of the GNR catalog are the *extreme* minority.  But those people are also in those buildings, buying tickets.  Slash and Duff have elected to throw them that bone at the live shows.

You could say the same about any deep cuts. Coma? Fan favorite for sure. Does the majority of the crowd wait for it? Maybe, maybe not. They do want to hear Paradise City though.

Would it be interesting to hear a re-issue with different musicians? Well, if they wanna do it, sure. Will it happen? At this moment, I doubt it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 03:49:19 PM »

You could say the same about any deep cuts. Coma? Fan favorite for sure. Does the majority of the crowd wait for it? Maybe, maybe not. They do want to hear Paradise City though.

Put it this way. 

They brought 'Bad Obsession' and 'Pretty Tied Up' out of mothballs this tour.  Very well received.  On the last leg, they dug out 'Locomotive' and 'Dead Horse'.  People were excited.  As you said, 'Coma' (never a regular feature in their prime) went over HUGE with the fans as played most nights tune since the NITL tour.

They just pulled out 'Street Of Dreams' the other night, a rarity with Slash.  Any real reaction? 

Shit, they gave 'There Was A Time' a spin the other night.  I think it's the best thing on the whole CD album.  People go nuts for it?

I guess what I'm saying is that being a GNR fan has been nothing but amazing from 4/1/2016 onwards.  It's all been gravy.

Why this need to still try to make CD happen?  It came, it went, it failed.  Shit happens.  But call it what is.

Every big time actor has a passion project that flops.  Every name author has a novel he pours his heart and soul into that doesn't sell. 

Nature of the arts.  No one bats 1.000.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 04:10:28 PM »

They just pulled out 'Street Of Dreams' the other night, a rarity with Slash.  Any real reaction? 

Shit, they gave 'There Was A Time' a spin the other night.  I think it's the best thing on the whole CD album.  People go nuts for it?

IDK, were you at the shows to compare the reaction across all the songs?
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 10:54:41 PM »

I think they need to release a LIVE album of the tour and feature some of the CD songs with the current line up. I would dig that very much! Not interested in a re recording of the album, especially not now that we are starving for new music!  peace
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 05:04:58 AM »

I think the way they are doing it now makes the most sense.

The last 3 singles were CD leftovers.  But only ever heard by diehard bootleg collectors like us.  Not like the general public ever heard 'Perhaps' until just now, even if a lot of us had the old demo for a few years prior.

So Slash and Duff are willing to put their stamp on the songs, and they can still plausibly be presented as "new".  I just don't think it works with official stuff already released.

That said, I like some of the changes they made to those CD tunes done live.  Like how on NITL, they had that whole other intro to 'Better'.  That was neat.

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 11:56:41 AM »

I've been on here for what seems like forever and hadn't heard perhaps before it's release, still not heard 'the general'

Only recordings I'd want of the current band playing CD tracks are if they decide to release another live album, in much the same way I had no desire to hear what the CD line up would do with AFD or UYI in the studio

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 03:45:32 PM »

I wouldn't re-do the studio album, I think that takes away from the musicians who were on it.   

But one way to do it is to have a live DVD or CD / Album with the Chinese Democracy  songs they have been playing on tour with Slash & Duff on them.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2023, 08:04:55 AM »

We didn't need a rerecording of AFD without the originals performers and we don't need a rerecording of CD without the originals performers.

I'm loving what we are getting from the current lineup and hoping for more. I don't care when a song was wrote or who wrote it. If it gets released as GnR I'm going to buy it, enjoy listening to it and then (and least importantly) looking at the writers, produces and players.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2023, 12:42:19 PM »

I’d be all for it,  just have the current band re-record the album and you could even use Axls old vocal tracks or he could do new ones ,why not ?  Also Axls re-record of Appetite is part of my holy grail along with all that documentary footage they shot on the Illusion tour.  I would love to hear the Appetite re-record , I loved the changes to Sweet Child from the Big Daddy credits. 

Once again, why not ?  Today things can just be released digitally either for purchase or streaming, I see a lot of good reasons and very  few bad ones to put this kind of stuff out.  The original Appetite is not going anywhere, it’s like it’s going to get deleted off the planet if the late 90s re-record sees the light of day. 
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2023, 06:41:36 PM »

I think it's pretty obvious that Axl was never trying to get big mainstream attention with CD. It was his passion project. The album obviously doesn't have any big dumb choruses for the radio.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Michael
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2023, 07:13:24 AM »

I want NEW and FRESH music, not something we heard before on leaks.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2023, 10:23:51 AM »

I want NEW and FRESH music, not something we heard before on leaks.

Did someone make you listen to leaks and ruin the surprise?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: