Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:16:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How the Grammys Are Righting a Wrong With Guns N’ Roses
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How the Grammys Are Righting a Wrong With Guns N’ Roses  (Read 768 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: March 20, 2024, 12:31:25 PM »

How the Grammys Are Righting a Wrong With Guns N’ Roses
Chad Childers

Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction will be inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame this year, righting a 37-year wrong in the process.

It feels like every year the Grammy nominations are scrutinized over how they reflect on what's actually going on in music at the time, and seemingly one of the more egregious errors was that somehow Guns N' Roses hugely selling debut album was overlooked by the Grammys back in 1987 and over the course of the album's entire run.

So, in 2024, Appetite for Destruction is one of 10 new recordings that will be inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.
How Did the Grammys Initially Overlook the Appetite for Destruction Album?

While it seems like a glaring omission, it's actually easy to see how the album may have initially been overlooked. As Billboard notes, the end of the 1987 eligibility period to be considered for a Grammy was Sept. 30 that year. Appetite for Destruction was initially released on July 21, 1987.

As detailed in our anniversary piece, Appetite for Destruction didn't blow up right away. Months after its release, the album seemed to be stalled at 250,000 in sales and MTV refused to play the video for “Welcome to the Jungle.” The band's label and manager had suggested they stop touring and start working on their next album, when they made one last ditch plea to MTV to play the "Welcome to the Jungle" video. Initially airing at 5AM on a Sunday morning, the clip found its audience and the album then started to take off.

At the time of the end of eligibility, Appetite for Destruction had not even cracked the Top 70 on the Billboard 200 Album Chart. With minimal airplay or MTV support at that point, it's not a surprise the album was overlooked. The bigger surprise is that the hit singles that followed over the course of the next two years were.

"Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Paradise City" all went without a nomination. Guns N' Roses didn't score recognition from the Grammys until a Best Hard Rock Performance nomination for their second offering, GN'R Lies. It's one of three nominations they've amassed over the years, while still seeking their first Grammy win.

What Else Is Joining Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction in the Grammy Hall of Fame?

After going on hiatus for two years while the powers that be reconsidered the Grammy Hall of Fame induction process, the Grammy Hall came back with 10 recordings for the 2024 induction class (which is down from their 25 to 30 in previous years).

It should also be noted that each of this year's inductees are first time entries into the Grammy Hall.

The 2024 induction class will also be saluted with a Grammy Hall of Fame Gala and concert on May 21 at the NOVO Theater in Los Angeles, which differs from prior years when the inductees were merely announced through a press announcement or mentioned in passing on the Grammy broadcast.

So who else is joining Guns N' Roses in this class? The list of recordings features a mix of six singles and four albums. The 2024 induction class is as follows:

William Bell, "You Don't Miss Your Water" (1961)
Buena Vista Social Club, Buena Vista Social Club (1997)
De La Soul, 3 Feet High and Rising (1989)
The Doobie Brothers, "What a Fool Believes" (1979)
Guns N' Roses, Appetite for Destruction (1987)
Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998)
Wanda Jackson, "Let's Have a Party" (1960)
Kid Ory's Creole Orchestra, "Ory's Creole Trombone" (1922)
Charley Pride, "Kiss an Angel Good Mornin'" (1971)
Donna Summer, "I Feel Love" (1977)

The Grammy Hall of Fame was initially established in 1973 to honor recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance that are at least 25 years old.

A full listing of every recording in music history that has been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame can be found here.

Source: https://loudwire.com/grammys-righting-wrong-guns-n-roses-appetite-hall-of-fame/

/jarmo

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 12:38:31 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 10:58:05 PM »

Did not know there was a Grammy Hall of Fame but it should be there.  It's an iconic album, good and deserves to have awards.  Cheesy

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 07:32:25 PM »

I hope the band takes the opportunity to accept the award in person maybe even a performance? It would surely make up for the rock ‘n’ roll Hall of Fame.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 05:12:17 PM »

They are jumping on the band wagon way too late! lol

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: