Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Who has better solo albums: Gilby or Izzy?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who has better solo albums: Gilby or Izzy?  (Read 11926 times)
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« on: November 15, 2003, 11:28:02 AM »

I am going to the record store today and I want to know who had a better solo career: Izzy or Gilby?  

I may be thinking of picking one of those up to add to my collection.

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 12:07:38 PM »

It depends what kind of stuff you want. Can you listen to the albums at the store? That way you'll have an idea what they sound like before you buy anything.

Personally I like Izzy's albums better.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 01:44:27 PM »

I am going to the record store today and I want to know who had a better solo career: Izzy or Gilby?  

I used to be like that with cd's..which one to choose...i solved that problem by just buying all the choices! God bless ebay, 2 quid for an album yes please!

Anyway i have 3 Izzy albums so far and got my first Gilby album the other day....haven't listened to it yet..but the night is young.

Izzy's stuff is very mellow, some of it is country music.... it has been described as similiar to the Rolling Stones.....

ps. over here in the uk u can't get hold of Gilby or Izzy's stuff in the shops anywhere.....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 01:46:41 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 02:39:49 PM »

I used to be like that with cd's..which one to choose...i solved that problem by just buying all the choices! God bless ebay, 2 quid for an album yes please!

Anyway i have 3 Izzy albums so far and got my first Gilby album the other day....haven't listened to it yet..but the night is young.

Izzy's stuff is very mellow, some of it is country music.... it has been described as similiar to the Rolling Stones.....

ps. over here in the uk u can't get hold of Gilby or Izzy's stuff in the shops anywhere.....

You can get hold of Izzy's River in some Virgin Megastores....If not most music stores will be able to order them in.

Riot In Everyone!
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 03:07:36 PM »

Gilby's cds are better...

And btw it's way more easy to find Gilby's cds than Izzy's...

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 06:03:18 PM »

I'm listening to Pawnshop guitars by Gilby....it blows anything Izzy has done out of the water!

Through various means i have got hold of all the albums Izzy has released in Europe, but in Birmingham where i reside none of their CD's are to be found...and there is three HMV's here alone! And yes i have looked in Virgin.

edit: listening to 'dead flowers'..geez u can barely make out Axl is on that song.....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:28:41 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 09:03:09 PM »

I like Izzy's solo stuff far more than any of the rest.  

Just my opinion of course..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Thumper
Catwoman eh!
Legend

The wolf's clear, intelligent eyes brushed mine.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 09:26:12 PM »

Absolutely Gilby.

Dizzy
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 10:41:11 PM »

I like Izzy better, though I've only heard Pawnshop Guitars by Gilby.

As has been mentioned, Izzy's albums are tough to find in stores.  I paid $35 for On Down the Road on Amazon.  But it was worth every penny, that's his best album yet.
KZiggy
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 12:23:01 PM »

Izzy ofcourse

Not everything thats called Coca-Cola taste like Coca-Cola. Check out the real deal at www.beenafix.com
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 05:15:03 PM »

I'm listening to Pawnshop guitars by Gilby....it blows anything Izzy has done out of the water!

yeah...btw. juju hounds records sucks ass.. but 117 has some really good song and so does River...but Izzy's cds has too many avarage songs...

Gilby Rocks..

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2003, 05:47:49 PM »

yeah...btw. juju hounds records sucks ass.. but 117 has some really good song and so does River...but Izzy's cds has too many avarage songs...

Gilby Rocks..

I find Izzy's stuff to 'soft' i prefer ur ole rock n fuckin' roll which Gilby seems to be more inclined towards....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
darkmonth
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2003, 08:20:46 PM »

Gilby Rocks..

WHAT!?!!!!!!  JuJu Hounds is the BEST CD Izzy has done!!!!  Then after that is 117Degrees.  Thats a great album too...

But I have to say, Gilby is FAR closer to fast hard rock that GnR is known for.  Gilby ROCKS.  Still, they both offer something and both are worth getting (entire collections).
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2003, 12:37:50 AM »

I always prefered Gilby's records, especially Pawnshop Guitars.  Izzy has too many mellow songs that are hit or miss, mostly miss IMO.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
BostonGunner
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2003, 07:01:45 AM »

Both Izzy and Gilby have put out great solo work.  As previously mentioned, Izzy's stuff sounds rather like the Rolling Stones/Small Faces.  Gilby's stuff is more rocking, and has more of a Bowie influence.  Both are great songwriters.  Most of these albums are hard to find.  I suggest going to amazon.com  Here is a brief rundown of their catalogs:

Izzy:
1. Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds (1992)- Izzy's solo debut.  An "Exile on Main St. for the 90s. A
2. 177 (1998) In the same vein as the debut, but slightly more rock-a-Billy. A-
3. Ride On (1999) Izzy's best album, IMO.    In the same vein as the two previous albums but with psychedelic trimmings and a spacey vibe. A+
4. River (2001) Again, a Stonesy type album.  Similar to 177 but less rock-a-Billy.  The last few songs are reggae  Another excellent album. A
5. On Down the Road (2002) The music is in the same Stones roots as the previous albums, but this CD is stripped down.  Lots of acoustic numbers. A

GILBY:

1. Pawnshop Guitars (1994)- Gilby's classic debut.  All of the 1992-1993 Gunners are on here.  Good, hard rocking AOR tunes.  Excellent song-writing with a lot of good sing-along hooks. An excellnt blend of pop, and hard-rock. Contains the classic "Cure Me or Kill Me."  A+
2. The Hangover (1997)- An underrated album.  In the same vein as the debut but without the Gunners.  Some of his best songs are on this one, such as "The Worst." A
3. Rubber (1999)- In the same vein as the other two albums, but the song-writing is not nearly as strong  The weakest album in his catalog. B-
4. Swag (2002) A return to form.  Sounds a lot like his other albums, but slightly more mature. A-

kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 12:56:22 PM »

http://www.cdon.com has 2 izzy albums and all Gilby's albums..

but Rubber, Swag, 99 live, Hangover are listed: GILBEY CLARKE...

and Pawnshop Guitars listed GILBY CLARKE...

Goddamn amateurs...

Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 01:23:02 PM »

Any one got any ideas how many albums Izzy and Gilby have sold each?

Why isn't Ride On and On down the road by Izzy released in Europe?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2003, 01:20:23 PM »

If you're into the blues based stuff, get Izzy...I've never heard Gilby stuff but for me, Izzy's stuff is like "american express" for me.
 beer
darkdays_01
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2003, 07:37:19 PM »

Stradlin's stuff is great. good music to sit back and drink a few beers to, and gilby's stuff is good too, just depends on my mood i like both equally but IMO Pawnshop Guitars is one of the best albums of the 90's.
mortismurphy
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 02:29:27 PM »

I prefer Izzy, his albums are constant.
As far as im concerned Gilby made one great album (pawnshop guitars) and it was a slide down from there, live 99's good though.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: