Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:02:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227915 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Individuality is the norm
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Individuality is the norm  (Read 2751 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« on: May 02, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »

http://www.salon.com/books/review/2006/05/02/niedzviecki/

kinda fun to read

May 2, 2006 | Every weekday, everyone in New York who is tangentially involved in the entertainment business receives a depressing piece of e-mail spam that demands, "Are You VIP?" If you decide you are, it invites you to click through to some nightclub promoter's Web site, where you can get on the guest list for a party that features "Guaranteed Celebrities in the Building!!!"

Meanwhile, laddish authors like Tucker Max and Frank Kelly Rich (founder of Modern Drunkard) achieve short-lived fame for being young men who celebrate drunkenness and boorish behavior. (Imagine that.) Then there's that just-above-the-coccyx tattoo on young women, which seemed, 15 years ago, like some vaguely racy advertisement for hedonism and is now just today's answer to raspberry lip gloss. And let's add the snowboarders who showcase their uncontainable, slope-shredding radicalness in Mountain Dew commercials ...

http://www.salon.com/books/review/2006/05/02/niedzviecki/

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 12:24:03 PM »

this points out a very true thing, that i have been thinking about .. the fact that we, think we're so cool, with our absence of faith, rebel attitude, un patriotic thoughts and so on.

but when i see a young crowd of belivers, like during the Vatican's meetings ... i realize how empty we are.

wierd.
for anyone who lives in a big city, they know what i'm talking about. pre-formatted "originals".

Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »

I do not understand this thread one bit. Can u for the love of god explain what your posts are on about

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »

this points out a very true thing, that i have been thinking about .. the fact that we, think we're so cool, with our absence of faith, rebel attitude, un patriotic thoughts and so on.

but when i see a young crowd of belivers, like during the Vatican's meetings ... i realize how empty we are.

wierd.
for anyone who lives in a big city, they know what i'm talking about. pre-formatted "originals".

Just quit your job and become a preist.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:58:16 PM »

wierd.

i want to !!!!

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 06:22:35 PM »

wierd.

i want to !!!!

Fucking do it sir.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Elrothiel
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 08:19:37 PM »

IMO I think Wat-Ever is just thinking that people with no beliefs do not live a rich and fulfilling life.

Personally though... life is what YOU make it, and if you compromise your life and sacrifice stuff for whatever reason, then you are not living your life to the full. ALTHOUGH one could argue that yes, you are because in the act of compromising and sacrificing, you're proving something.

But that's no fun is it!!?

Life is short. ENJOY it! Do what you want! If you wanna be religious, be religious, if you wanna learn something new, learn something new. If you want to meet new people, then go out and meet new people!!!

NOTHING is stopping you.

And I know Nike stole this damn good saying, but its true. No matter how much I hate Nike...

Just Do It!!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »

Going for individuality ends up suppressing it. Rock bands that rebel against society all sound the same. Bands that don't care are unique.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 02:26:52 AM »

Going for individuality ends up suppressing it. Rock bands that rebel against society all sound the same. Bands that don't care are unique.

but isn't "not caring" a trendy norm now ? i guess we're all punks.

i like the nike shocks.

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »

but isn't "not caring" a trendy norm now ? i guess we're all punks.

No, it's not. Kids DO care about being popular. The "not caring" thing actually IS caring. Those who truly don't care won't take extra effort to show that they don't. They just don't. Not focusing on popularity probably means taking anti-democratic stances, and appreciating the values of old, like in black metal. Democracy and popularity are what destroy a band's (and person's) ability to be creative.
Elrothiel
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:14:06 PM »

I think nowadays there are so many different subcultures, that you really don't make a statement whatever you do....

Unless you were to dress up in a giant chicken suit and perfect the art of walking on your hands in your day-to-day life...

Seriously, whatever you dress like nowadays, fashion has to come along and ruin it.

The saying "That is so last year!" is so last year... hihi You can't dress in 60s fashion and stand out because guess what.... there's a revival!! You can't dress in 70s or 80s fashions to stand out either because guess whaaaat.... THERE'S A FUCKING REVIVAL!!!

the 00s fashion trends is just a rehash of what has already been done... a cry of nostalgia. And while a li'l nostalgia is a good thing for some people, when the fashion industry does it... it just proves that they have no new ideas... they've run out of originality and they can't be assed to sit and think about what could be THE standing out fashion of the 00s or the 010s or the 020s!!

rant It makes me so mad that the fashion industry is so lacking in imagination...

Leave the old decade's fashions to the ones who AREN'T fashion victims!! Raaaah!!!
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 01:21:30 PM »

Individuality is not something I think about, either for or against. I don't make special effort to fit in, or special effort to not fit in. If what I'm doing in some way, shape or form leads me to fit in then fine, if not then whatever. The only way to be an individual is not even to take individuality into consideration. For example I liked GnR when it was really really uncool to like them, and now that it's cool to like them again I still do, and will continue to like them whether everyone else loves them or everyone else hates them. Cos I like them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: