Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 02:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227852 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Windows Vista -
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows Vista -  (Read 15021 times)
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »

persoanlly im coping fine on windows 2000 proffessional. i hated XP when i put it on, all shit n sticky and an annoying firewall which never stopped popping up.

Firewall is one click to turn it off permanently, and the skins are disableable ...  Someone using Win200 shouldn't usually have a problem with these kinds of things ... ubergeeks and shit normally say the whole "I use Windows 2000 Pro because it's better" ....

Smiley

well not really with sp2 if you don't stop the security center service and the firewall service the damn thing keeps coming back.

You have to change the way Security Center alerts you. Go to Control Panel > Security Center. Then on the left there's a bunch of options under the phrase "Resources." Click on the one at the bottom that says "Change the way Security Center alerts me." Then uncheck all three (Firewall, Automatic Updates, and Virus Protection) if you don't want it to bug you about anything.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 08:59:52 PM »

Well, I've discovered that there is a nice alternative. You can buy OEM versions of Vista for like half price from Amazon and NewEgg for instance. The only thing is, there is zero support for it. OEM versions are what Dell, Sony, etc. put on their machines and that is why they are required to provide support for the user. Home Premium is $120 (a full version, not an upgrade) at NewEgg.com with $5 shipping. Amazon has it for for $130 with free shipping. Ultimate is $200 with $5 shipping at NewEgg.com and $220 with free shipping from Amazon. Pretty cool deal if ya ask me!

another thing about oem though good luck changing hardware. i hear its not going to be as easy as calling and reactivating. one review i saw on newegg says if your system dies and you have the oem the os dies with it. the person claims to have called microsoft several times and confirmed this.

By system dying, are you referring to a crash from viruses, etc. or the hardware itself dying? Cuz if it's just from viruses, then you can probably reinstall it. But if you're referring to the hardware, then that's the risk you take I guess.

Yeah i mean hardware. I guess i should've said that.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 09:00:56 PM »

persoanlly im coping fine on windows 2000 proffessional. i hated XP when i put it on, all shit n sticky and an annoying firewall which never stopped popping up.

Firewall is one click to turn it off permanently, and the skins are disableable ...  Someone using Win200 shouldn't usually have a problem with these kinds of things ... ubergeeks and shit normally say the whole "I use Windows 2000 Pro because it's better" ....

Smiley

well not really with sp2 if you don't stop the security center service and the firewall service the damn thing keeps coming back.

You have to change the way Security Center alerts you. Go to Control Panel > Security Center. Then on the left there's a bunch of options under the phrase "Resources." Click on the one at the bottom that says "Change the way Security Center alerts me." Then uncheck all three (Firewall, Automatic Updates, and Virus Protection) if you don't want it to bug you about anything.

Yeah i have it all off. That thing is freaking annoying.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »

Well, I've discovered that there is a nice alternative. You can buy OEM versions of Vista for like half price from Amazon and NewEgg for instance. The only thing is, there is zero support for it. OEM versions are what Dell, Sony, etc. put on their machines and that is why they are required to provide support for the user. Home Premium is $120 (a full version, not an upgrade) at NewEgg.com with $5 shipping. Amazon has it for for $130 with free shipping. Ultimate is $200 with $5 shipping at NewEgg.com and $220 with free shipping from Amazon. Pretty cool deal if ya ask me!

another thing about oem though good luck changing hardware. i hear its not going to be as easy as calling and reactivating. one review i saw on newegg says if your system dies and you have the oem the os dies with it. the person claims to have called microsoft several times and confirmed this.

By system dying, are you referring to a crash from viruses, etc. or the hardware itself dying? Cuz if it's just from viruses, then you can probably reinstall it. But if you're referring to the hardware, then that's the risk you take I guess.

It's not surprising though. I mean it is for system builders, so the owner of the OEM software has the hardware knowledge and ability to fix things. If you buy OEM software and you are an end consumer, then it's a risk you have to accept. Microsoft does not make the Dell, Sony, HP, etc. parts.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »

It's not surprising though. I mean it is for system builders, so the owner of the OEM software has the hardware knowledge and ability to fix things. If you buy OEM software and you are an end consumer, then it's a risk you have to accept. Microsoft does not make the Dell, Sony, HP, etc. parts.
Yeah i just hope its clearly pointed out for those who buy it. If i bought this and didn't know that and my motherboard or something died and i found out i had to buy windows again i would be PISSED!

Here is the comment i found about it. Cons: The OEM Versions of Vista, any version will die and go to the Grave with your PC. You will NOT be able to UPRADE your System or replace a Motherboard!! Read on the Net. Also I called Microsoft and sure enough, it was confirmed.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »

Yeah i just hope its clearly pointed out for those who buy it. If i bought this and didn't know that and my motherboard or something died and i found out i had to buy windows again i would be PISSED!

Here is the comment i found about it. Cons: The OEM Versions of Vista, any version will die and go to the Grave with your PC. You will NOT be able to UPRADE your System or replace a Motherboard!! Read on the Net. Also I called Microsoft and sure enough, it was confirmed.

Yeah, I myself likely won't upgrade until I get a new computer. But it's the principle of not even having the option to get the "upgrade" price for the version I want after paying MORE than XP Home users in the first place simply because Dell said I should.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 09:18:13 PM »

Yeah, I myself likely won't upgrade until I get a new computer. But it's the principle of not even having the option to get the "upgrade" price for the version I want after paying MORE than XP Home users in the first place simply because Dell said I should.

That sucks you can't get it for the upgrade price through dell. How much are they wanting you to pay?
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »

That sucks you can't get it for the upgrade price through dell. How much are they wanting you to pay?

I was talking about the upgrade price through Microsoft. They have designated XP Pro to have two upgrade options: Business (which sucks and has less useful features for normal users than Home Premium) and Ultimate. XP Home users can upgrade to Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate. I got my Dell in 2004 so I highly doubt I'd be eligible for anything through them. Full price for the retail version of Home Premium is like $240, whereas the upgrade price is $160 I think.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 09:29:43 PM »

I was talking about the upgrade price through Microsoft. They have designated XP Pro to have two upgrade options: Business (which sucks and has less useful features for normal users than Home Premium) and Ultimate. XP Home users can upgrade to Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate. I got my Dell in 2004 so I highly doubt I'd be eligible for anything through them. Full price for the retail version of Home Premium is like $240, whereas the upgrade price is $160 I think.
Oh ok i didn't know that. That is still a lot of money. Yeah, I think you had to buy it between december 2005 through december 2006 to be eligible for any kinda upgrade .
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »

Oh ok i didn't know that. That is still a lot of money. Yeah, I think you had to buy it between december 2005 through december 2006 to be eligible for any kinda upgrade .

My issue isn't with Dell. It's with Microsoft not allowing XP Pro users to upgrade to Vista Home Premium. If we can upgrade to Ultimate, we should be allowed to upgrade to Home Premium without having to pay the full price for it. We deserve a discount just like XP Home users. And this is where Dell comes into play. I don't know how long they did this, but when I bought my computer and for at least most of 2005 (I would check out their site just cuz I'm a nerd like that) they had the "Dell Recommends" thing next to the option for XP Pro instead of XP Home. Dell unintentionally misled a ton of people into buying Pro, which costs about $50-100 more than Home for XP. And now, of course, we have the option of paying that same $50-100 extra for less features in Vista Business or paying a ridiculous amount of money for Ultimate.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »

Well, I've discovered that there is a nice alternative. You can buy OEM versions of Vista for like half price from Amazon and NewEgg for instance. The only thing is, there is zero support for it. OEM versions are what Dell, Sony, etc. put on their machines and that is why they are required to provide support for the user. Home Premium is $12
0 (a full version, not an upgrade) at NewEgg.com with $5 shipping. Amazon has it for for $130 with free shipping. Ultimate is $200 with $5 shipping at NewEgg.com and $220 with free shipping from Amazon. Pretty cool deal if ya ask me!

My issue isn't with Dell. It's with Microsoft not allowing XP Pro users to upgrade to Vista Home Premium. If we can upgrade to Ultimate, we should be allowed to upgrade to Home Premium without having to pay the full price for it. We deserve a discount just like XP Home users. And this is where Dell comes into play. I don't know how long they did this, but when I bought my computer and for at least most of 2005 (I would check out their site just cuz I'm a nerd like that) they had the "Dell Recommends" thing next to the option for XP Pro instead of XP Home. Dell unintentionally misled a ton of people into buying Pro, which costs about $50-100 more than Home for XP. And now, of course, we have the option of paying that same $50-100 extra for less features in Vista Business or paying a ridiculous amount of money for Ultimate.

Yeah, That is pretty stupid but i'm pretty sure i can give you the reason for it and it is $$$. They could also just be assuming those who bought pro want a more full featured version or business type version. I'm still betting they're motivated by the almighty dollar though. As for dell thats pretty sneaky of them and i'm sure they did it for the very same reason. When my parents bought there dell 8400 in early 05 the only choice at the time was MCE 05. I'm not sure if they qualify for any vista upgrade.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 10:32:25 PM »

Yeah, That is pretty stupid but i'm pretty sure i can give you the reason for it and it is $$$. They could also just be assuming those who bought pro want a more full featured version or business type version. I'm still betting they're motivated by the almighty dollar though. As for dell thats pretty sneaky of them and i'm sure they did it for the very same reason. When my parents bought there dell 8400 in early 05 the only choice at the time was MCE 05. I'm not sure if they qualify for any vista upgrade.

The Business version actually takes away Media Center, DVD Maker, and HD DVD Maker. That's not what I consider more fully featured. It sounds like it adds more server and security type functions, which are pretty much useless to me because I don't use servers and I'm pretty good at avoiding viruses and spyware. Dell ripped me off simply because they put that "Recommends" crap next to XP Pro, despite the fact that I have used both Home (on my parents' computer) and Pro on my computer and I have noticed ZERO differences to be honest. So basically, I paid a lot more money for Pro when it's not any different than Home, and now I can't even upgrade to either version of Vista Home. Well done Dell and MS.  beer rant

Meanwhile, I found a VERY nice blog about OEM Windows Vista.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

It sounds like you can replace anything in the computer EXCEPT the motherboard. You are allowed installation with only one motherboard, so the second you try to upgrade your motherboard, they consider that a NEW computer. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:34:50 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 10:37:53 PM »

Stupid question, but how do you upgrade to Windows Vista?

I THINK YOU HAVE TO BUY IT.

but if you have an older  computer it  won't be compatible or won't run Vista.  Typical Microsoft. Has there  ever been a less  user friendly company, ever?
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 10:45:40 PM »

but if you have an older  computer it  won't be compatible or won't run Vista.  Typical Microsoft. Has there  ever been a less  user friendly company, ever?

Dell is right up there with them in my opinion! Bastards gave me a piece of crap fan for my computer. 3.2 GHz, Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading (top of the line in summer 2004 when I got it) and the fan is like a jet airliner. I paid $1200 for that thing and can't stand that it's louder than it should be for sure. Not only that, but they put that stupid "Dell Recommends" garbage next to their customization options. Like I said before, they recommended XP Pro, so I got it. Then Microsoft turns around and makes it impossible to get an upgrade price for upgrading from XP Pro to Home Premium. You have to pay the full retail price, or pay upgrade price for Business (which sucks and has less features than Home Premium) or Ultimate (which is more expensive even with the upgrade discount than Home Premium's full retail price). 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:47:32 PM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 10:46:11 PM »

The Business version actually takes away Media Center, DVD Maker, and HD DVD Maker. That's not what I consider more fully featured. It sounds like it adds more server and security type functions, which are pretty much useless to me because I don't use servers and I'm pretty good at avoiding viruses and spyware. Dell ripped me off simply because they put that "Recommends" crap next to XP Pro, despite the fact that I have used both Home (on my parents' computer) and Pro on my computer and I have noticed ZERO differences to be honest. So basically, I paid a lot more money for Pro when it's not any different than Home, and now I can't even upgrade to either version of Vista Home. Well done Dell and MS.  beer rant

It sounds like you can replace anything in the computer EXCEPT the motherboard. You are allowed installation with only one motherboard, so the second you try to upgrade your motherboard, they consider that a NEW computer. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal.

The only reason i could think of they are offering the business to xp pro uses is cause xp pro was basically the business edition of xp. other then that i don't see why any home user would want it without all those features. Yeah there are a few subtle differences but not anything most users will ever notice. There is runas the file and folder encryption and something else. They both have sure screwed you and a lot of other people i'm sure doing that.

Well thats good to know. I don't plan on a new mobo anytime soon so maybe i will go for the OEM once i have main hard drive bigger than 10 gigs. I have a second one thats 80 but i use that strictly for personal data.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 10:48:38 PM »

Dell is right up there with them in my opinion! Bastards gave me a piece of crap fan for my computer. 3.2 GHz, Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading (top of the line in summer 2004 when I got it) and the fan is like a jet airliner. I paid $1200 for that thing and can't stand that it's louder than it should be for sure.
Lots of fans are noisy though not just dells. The louder it is just tells me its working harder to keep the computer cool. It could be simply where you have the computer located thats making it work harder.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:38 PM »

The only reason i could think of they are offering the business to xp pro uses is cause xp pro was basically the business edition of xp. other then that i don't see why any home user would want it without all those features. Yeah there are a few subtle differences but not anything most users will ever notice. There is runas the file and folder encryption and something else. They both have sure screwed you and a lot of other people i'm sure doing that.

Well thats good to know. I don't plan on a new mobo anytime soon so maybe i will go for the OEM once i have main hard drive bigger than 10 gigs. I have a second one thats 80 but i use that strictly for personal data.

I have an internal 80 GB hard drive, plus a 250 gig external (which is where I run all my music from for iTunes and such, so I have tons of free space always available on the internal for installing programs). I also have upgraded my RAM. My comp came with 512 megs, but I upgraded and got 2 extra gigs last year so RAM shouldn't be an issue for me. But my fan is so loud that I might just end up waiting and getting something other than a Dell, take the RAM out of the Dell, stick it in the new one and have a kickass 3 or 4 gig computer with Vista perfectly installed by the manufacturer. I'd probably get a Sony or something, and if I did, it would likely be a laptop since I'm about to graduate college and might need that in the business world.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 10:56:07 PM »

Dell is right up there with them in my opinion! Bastards gave me a piece of crap fan for my computer. 3.2 GHz, Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading (top of the line in summer 2004 when I got it) and the fan is like a jet airliner. I paid $1200 for that thing and can't stand that it's louder than it should be for sure.
Lots of fans are noisy though not just dells. The louder it is just tells me its working harder to keep the computer cool. It could be simply where you have the computer located thats making it work harder.

It's not the position of the computer. I've tried all kinds of stuff including opening the case and using that compressed air in a can to get rid of dust and that didn't even help. I'm thinking what happened is I maxed out the specs on the Dimension line but they put the same fan in mine that they would have put in a lot slower computer and so it just struggles to keep the processor and everything at a cool temp.

My parents and sister both have Sony's that are older than mine and yet their fans don't sound anywhere near as loud as mine. Mine is quieter during startup, but a lot louder during regular use of the computer.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 11:04:47 PM »

I have an internal 80 GB hard drive, plus a 250 gig external (which is where I run all my music from for iTunes and such, so I have tons of free space always available on the internal for installing programs). I also have upgraded my RAM. My comp came with 512 megs, but I upgraded and got 2 extra gigs last year so RAM shouldn't be an issue for me. But my fan is so loud that I might just end up waiting and getting something other than a Dell, take the RAM out of the Dell, stick it in the new one and have a kickass 3 or 4 gig computer with Vista perfectly installed by the manufacturer. I'd probably get a Sony or something, and if I did, it would likely be a laptop since I'm about to graduate college and might need that in the business world.

Wow you sure do have a lot of free space on there. Thats something i need too before upgrading to vista. I only have 512 and thats hard on xp pro sometimes. I personally prefer custom built computers. The one i have me and my dad put together. I don't like pre made ones too much proprietary stuff in them and installed with the os.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »

It's not the position of the computer. I've tried all kinds of stuff including opening the case and using that compressed air in a can to get rid of dust and that didn't even help. I'm thinking what happened is I maxed out the specs on the Dimension line but they put the same fan in mine that they would have put in a lot slower computer and so it just struggles to keep the processor and everything at a cool temp.

My parents and sister both have Sony's that are older than mine and yet their fans don't sound anywhere near as loud as mine. Mine is quieter during startup, but a lot louder during regular use of the computer.
You could always upgrade the heatsink/fan on it and the power supply on it. I don't think either part is proprietary. They probably put in the cheapest they can find at least the heatsink anyway.  The power supplies they use aren't the most powerful either. I think they put in 350W ones which is like bare minimum. I would never build a system these days with anything less then 450W and probably 550W or more for more recent hardware.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: