Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 10:15:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Movie : 300 : This is going to hurt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie : 300 : This is going to hurt.  (Read 18851 times)
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 11:25:57 PM »

I got home from seeing it an hour ago, great film  yes

Lots of action, no long slow, boring parts like in Alexander  hihi
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 05:41:40 AM »

Awesome, brutal, and mindblowingly good movie  Shocked So many great scenes...  King Leonidas was so badass  smoking

This   is   Democracy!!!
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »

man, i hope i'm gonna like this ... i WILL GO with a good mood and expecting a GOOD movie .....

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »

I really want to go see this on the big screen, but the last movie I forked over the cash to see was "Miami Vice" so Im scared.. hihi

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 11:14:20 AM »

Talk about an overreaction:

Iranians outraged over hit movie ?300?
Blockbuster depicting Persian siege called an ?obvious insult?

TEHRAN, Iran - The hit American movie ?300? has angered Iranians who say the Greeks-vs-Persians action flick insults their ancient culture and provokes animosity against Iran.

?Hollywood declares war on Iranians,? blared a headline in Tuesday?s edition of the independent Ayende-No newspaper.

The movie, which raked in $70 million in its opening weekend, is based on a comic-book fantasy version of the battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C., in which a force of 300 Spartans held off a massive Persian army at a mountain pass in Greece for three days.

Even some American reviewers noted the political overtones of the West-against-Iran story line ? and the way Persians are depicted as decadent, sexually flamboyant and evil in contrast to the noble Greeks.

In Iran, the movie hasn?t opened and probably never will, given the government?s restrictions on Western films, though one paper said bootleg DVDs were already available.

Still, it touched a sensitive nerve. Javad Shamghadri, cultural adviser to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said the United States tries to ?humiliate? Iran in order to reverse historical reality and ?compensate for its wrongdoings in order to provoke American soldiers and warmongers? against Iran.

The movie comes at a time of increased tensions between the United States and Iran over the Persian nation?s nuclear program and the Iraq war.

But aside from politics, the film was seen as an attack on Persian history, a source of pride for Iranians across the political spectrum, including critics of the current Islamic regime.

State-run television has run several commentaries the past two days calling the film insulting and has brought on Iranian film directors to point out its historical inaccuracies.

?The film depicts Iranians as demons, without culture, feeling or humanity, who think of nothing except attacking other nations and killing people,? Ayende-No said in its article Tuesday.

?It is a new effort to slander the Iranian people and civilization before world public opinion at a time of increasing American threats against Iran,? it said.

Iran?s biggest circulation newspaper, Hamshahri, said ?300? is ?serving the policy of the U.S. leadership? and predicted it will ?prompt a wave of protest in the world. ... Iranians living in the U.S. and Europe will not be indifferent about this obvious insult.?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17599641/

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Elrothiel
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »

^ OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!! ITS A FUCKING MOVIE!!! You don't see Germans complaining about Saving Private Ryan, you don't see the Vietnamese complaining about Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, or The Deer Hunter! Why the fuck should Iran complain about 300!!? Jesus FUCKING Christ can you GET any more paranoid!!?

Its like some schoolkids doing a home video about something, and then when they show the rest of the kids, a few complain about it because they don't get on with the kids responsible for the video, even though the vid had really nothing to do with them.

They should grow the fuck up and if they don't like it, don't watch it!!

Idiots. Paranoid idiots! They're just using this as an excuse to start a war in "self defense".

And don't all bash me saying I'm being racist, I'm so not, but when they accuse innocent movie-makers like this, is it any wonder that people get pissed off!?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 01:35:38 PM »

^ OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!! ITS A FUCKING MOVIE!!! You don't see Germans complaining about Saving Private Ryan, you don't see the Vietnamese complaining about Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, or The Deer Hunter! Why the fuck should Iran complain about 300!!? Jesus FUCKING Christ can you GET any more paranoid!!?

Its like some schoolkids doing a home video about something, and then when they show the rest of the kids, a few complain about it because they don't get on with the kids responsible for the video, even though the vid had really nothing to do with them.

They should grow the fuck up and if they don't like it, don't watch it!!

Idiots. Paranoid idiots! They're just using this as an excuse to start a war in "self defense".

And don't all bash me saying I'm being racist, I'm so not, but when they accuse innocent movie-makers like this, is it any wonder that people get pissed off!?

im sorry you're an idiot.

1- you cited 4 american movies. Do you watch something else?
2- do you actually screen the opinions of what other countries say?
3- not talking about 300 here, but you should know that Movies are a very tool of propaganda.
Independance day anyone?

so please.
think.

The day you'll see an Iranian movie, we'll talk.

Elrothiel
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 03:49:21 PM »

So I'm an idiot because one movie has made a country throw a gigantic hissy-fit because it doesn't show their ancestors in a favorable light?

Movies are a form of entertainment, and yea they may make you think "hey, maybe..." or "hmm... what if...?". BUT, I still don't get why a movie about the history of a small army of Spartans holding off a massive army of Persians is such a sensitive issue.

Jeez, if they get so fucking offended by that, then why don't we just cancel Christmas, because that's sure to offend them even more... promoting the birth of Jesus like that. We should be ashamed of ourselves! And while we're doing that, why don't we burn the Iliad and the Odyssey, and every other historical book about every other war there is? Why don't we just abolish the teaching of History in schools, because we wouldn't want people thinking for themselves now would we!!?

Its. A. Movie.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 03:55:43 PM »

i dont think we'll compare 300 to Iliad ....

i didnt see the movie yet, so i can't talk about it

but i know that movies can be a propaganda tool. they are seen by a mass. and they can map weak people's mind.

you would be surprised to see how Tv / Movies can map people's mind.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 03:58:18 PM »

im sorry you're an idiot.

1- you cited 4 american movies. Do you watch something else?
2- do you actually screen the opinions of what other countries say?
3- not talking about 300 here, but you should know that Movies are a very tool of propaganda.
Independance day anyone?

so please.
think.

The day you'll see an Iranian movie, we'll talk.

Hollywood is hardly in Bush's pocket, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Independence Day is propaganda?  What did I miss?  I thought it was a crappy movie about an alien attack.  Maybe it's about illegal immigration?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 04:09:06 PM »

i wasnt talking about "bush" or the "admnistration"
just that movies ARE a tool of propaganda (way of life, values, ....)

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 04:11:26 PM »

please explain, i am just as lost as Freedom78

i know movies can be a tool for propaganda (triumph of the will anyone)?? but i totally back Skynyrdgirl on this. i think the Iranians need to grow up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:13:05 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 04:16:35 PM »

please explain, i am just as lost as Freedom78

i know movies can be a tool for propaganda (triumph of the will anyone)?? but i totally back Skynyrdgirl on this. i think the Iranians need to grow up.

we can argue on that
i thought it was wierd to jump on their backs like that, when it WAS that stupid
and countries have always, in history, been shocked by movies
so it's nothing special ...

that's all

i didnt see the movie, i'll reserve my judgement Wink

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 04:19:34 PM »

i wasnt talking about "bush" or the "admnistration"
just that movies ARE a tool of propaganda (way of life, values, ....)

OK, fair enough.  But I don't know that that's propaganda, as much as films reflecting the values and lives of their creators to some extent.   

They can be propaganda, but this one isn't.  It's a graphic novel representation of an historic battle.  People just read way too much into things.  After all, the ideas of heroism, tyranny, and war are hardly limited to any one time.  And as the battle is told about from the vantage of the Spartans, it shouldn't be surprising that they're portrayed as heroic.  If anyone sees this and thinks it an accurate depiction of Iranians, that's simple idiocy. 

If people want to dispute the obvious historical inaccuracies, that's fine.  But read the statements from Iran's government.  At the end of the day, the propaganda is coming from Iran.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 04:23:13 PM »

i can agree with you on that
and i didnt see the movie yet.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 04:36:28 PM »

i can agree with you on that
and i didnt see the movie yet.

I think the real question is one of (over)reaction.  Good films sometimes make you uncomfortable, either due to changing the truth to make the story more compelling (as in 300) or in putting the spotlight on controversial topics. 

Take the Turkish film "Valley of the Wolves Iraq."  It's about the US occupation of Iraq, and features an American commander as its villain.  It also portrays an American doctor as harvesting the organs of civilian prisoners.  Oh, and, of course, he's Jewish.

The film is set in a real situation, and uses SOME real events, such as Abu Ghraib, to give it some historical context.  Then there's the plot.  Is it biased?  Obviously.  Is it racist?  Clearly. 

Should the New York Times run a front page story about the Turkish film industry declaring war on America?  Nope.  Should I go out in the streets, burn the Turkish flag, and fire an assault rifle into the air?  Probably not. 

Those would be over reactions.  Anyway, a movie's a movie.  If you're swayed by it, you're easily swayed or you wanted to be convinced of something.  I saw 300.  I do not believe that Xerxes was a 7 foot tall man-God.  He did try to conquer many places, though, so I don't see why Iran is so sensitive to the issue.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »

well.

1st, about that Turkish movie, there HAVE been many reaction. i can assure.
both in yours and my country.
There have been many talk about how crazy Turkish are, and how they did a racist movie and how they invented situation and portrayed americans as evil ....

Now in our countries, there are movies where heroes from our country save the world, where muslims are terrorists, and german are nazis.
where the hero is here to tell us how freedom of speech is an amazing thing and that we're lucky to have that, and how the Press and the Good Journalist always let us know who's evil.
Movies where capitalism and individualism is the key, where the Winners are the ones who worked hard.
Movies where things Happen in NYC, Paris and London (sometimes Tokyo)
Movies where everybody speaks english.

But then, we could over the real situation on teh world, the balance of power and the current dialogs bewteen iran and the west. and it has an importance.

Given the supremacy of the west on the world; i can understand that these coutnries go extreme to make their voice resonate.

Again, i didnt see 300.

but i saw Batman begins, i kinda saw some episode of 24H, i've seen x-men, i've seen many romantic comedies .... and i can assure you that PROPAGANDA is everywhere.
Propaganda of our way of life.
that is NOT THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

Smiley

i have to go see a Bergman movie now Wink

PEACE !

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2007, 05:07:45 PM »

i'm gonna go on a bit of a rant there, i hate how people and critics are saying it didn't have a plot or any character development. that wasnt the point!! first off its based on a graphic novel, and second it was made to be an epic, entertaining movie, and thats what i was expecting and thats what i got. i think it was awesome.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2007, 06:05:24 PM »

For fuck's sake it's just a movie and based on a graphic novel(monsters, immortals and gigantic elephants anyone?) If everyone would be offended by movies like this Hollywood could might aswell put a big CLOSED sign out.  Besides if the Iranians are so pissed off, why won't they make their own movie and show the "real" history?

This   is   Democracy!!!
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 03:28:11 AM »

For fuck's sake it's just a movie and based on a graphic novel(monsters, immortals and gigantic elephants anyone?) If everyone would be offended by movies like this Hollywood could might aswell put a big CLOSED sign out.  Besides if the Iranians are so pissed off, why won't they make their own movie and show the "real" history?

they do make movies Smiley
and FYI, the best Iranian movies are - in regards of .... - better than the best Hollywood movies Wink

anyway, back on topic.

i hope the movie is gonna be good, i just fear it's going to be an 1h30 long music video ....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: