Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 10:53:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Where have the Classics Gone?
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where have the Classics Gone?  (Read 6181 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: March 08, 2006, 10:55:16 PM »

What happened to the Epiphone LP Classic guitar? I can't find it on Epiphone's web site anymore. Has production been stopped? That was my favourite LP.  Cry

Fuck 'Em All.
alexh0618
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 11:08:30 PM »

I think they discontinued them. That would probably br the reason why musiciansfriend.com had a sale on them. I got mine just a few weeks ago. The last place I saw them was at americanmusical.com If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Les Paul Standard Plain Tops taking the place of the classics?

I wonder if Epiphione is discontinuing those faded/vintage SG Standards because I saw them at musiciansfriend.com for only $299!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 11:10:48 PM by alexh0618 » Logged
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 11:11:43 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Les Paul Standard Plain Tops taking the place of the classics?

I suppose. I reason I liked the Classic was that they came stock with coverless pickups. Looks real neat.

Fuck 'Em All.
alexh0618
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 11:18:37 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Les Paul Standard Plain Tops taking the place of the classics?

I suppose. I reason I liked the Classic was that they came stock with coverless pickups. Looks real neat.

Yea same here. I dont like the look of covered pickups on Les Pauls unless it's an LP Custom.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »

the covers were made to reduce hum, which isd pointless since its a humbucking pickup. if you take yours off ytou get a ballsier sound.

I saw some classics today and i think the classic has the 59' rounded neck over the 60's slim taper. correct me if im wrong

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
alexh0618
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 10:22:52 PM »

the covers were made to reduce hum, which isd pointless since its a humbucking pickup. if you take yours off ytou get a ballsier sound.

I saw some classics today and i think the classic has the 59' rounded neck over the 60's slim taper. correct me if im wrong

The classics have the slim-taper neck. I think the standards have the thicker neck.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 09:45:42 AM »

The classics have the slim-taper neck. I think the standards have the thicker neck.

Shocked No way! The standards have a slim taper for sure. this is wierd

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 11:19:36 AM »

Actually, u guys are both right. The LP Standard is available in both 59's rounded as well as 60's slim taper, while the LP Classics come only with the 60's slim necks.

Fuck 'Em All.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 07:06:05 AM »

i could've sworn the classic had a thicker neck!

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 09:23:51 AM »

I don't know. There are no specs on the Epiphone site. However, if Epiphone makes their LPs according to Gibson's specs (which I'm quite sure of), then the full specs for the Gibson LP Standard and LP Classic are available on their site.

Fuck 'Em All.
alexh0618
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »

I own an Epi LP Classic and that neck is not a thick 50s neck for sure.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 06:43:32 PM »

Im not sure if Epiphones do the two different necks. I own a Epi LP standard and a Gibson LP classic. The classic has the 60's slim taper neck, I am not sure what the Epi's neck is meant to be, but it is actually thinner than the Gibson slim taper. My advice is if you can wait and get the money together for a Gibson. Do it, they are worlds apart in every respect.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »

that is my problem
and i suck
which is flat out better classic or standard?

alexh0618
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 04:44:07 PM »

that is my problem
and i suck

They are pretty much the same besides the pickups and neck. The Classic has the thinner neck and hotter pickups. The Standard has the opposite.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 07:05:29 AM »

by hotter you mean alnico style vs. gibson 57 style?

darkmonth
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »

that is my problem
and i suck

The classic is slightly lower spec.  It's cheaper.  Usually.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »

that is my problem
and i suck

The classic is slightly lower spec.  It's cheaper.  Usually.

What do u guys recommend? Buying a classic or buying a standard and removing the ugly pickup covers?

Fuck 'Em All.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 04:39:40 PM »

that is my problem
and i suck

The classic is slightly lower spec.? It's cheaper.? Usually.

What do u guys recommend? Buying a classic or buying a standard and removing the ugly pickup covers?

If its the covers you're worried about go for the better guitar! They can easily be taken off. just take off the strings, unscrew the pickups out and pry it off with a flathead screwdrivfre and use a heat gun or blow dryer to just melt the wax off to the side.

Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 06:37:40 PM »

The Gibson Classic is exactly the same spec as a Gibson standard. Apart from it is only available with the slim taper neck and higher output pick ups. It is run to the same standard and same wood as the Std's. It is cheaper purely due to the lower amount of options, the classic is only available with the slim neck and fewer colours depending on the year, as opposed to a choice of necks etc. with the standard. It is in no way of lesser quality. (This is confirmed by a Gibson representative on the Gibson forum for those still unsure)
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 12:34:34 AM »

^ That's exactly what I was saying. The Classics and Standards are exactly the same. Since I like slim necks and they come stock without covers, wouldn't the Classic be a better buy?

Fuck 'Em All.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 07:08:35 AM »

for you, yes. I'm still confused outta my mind.

darkmonth
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 08:00:03 AM »

The Gibson Classic is exactly the same spec as a Gibson standard. Apart from it is only available with the slim taper neck and higher output pick ups. It is run to the same standard and same wood as the Std's. It is cheaper purely due to the lower amount of options, the classic is only available with the slim neck and fewer colours depending on the year, as opposed to a choice of necks etc. with the standard. It is in no way of lesser quality. (This is confirmed by a Gibson representative on the Gibson forum for those still unsure)

What I said.  I hope you didn't think I said the classic was lower quality.  I didn't mean that.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 06:31:46 PM »

i just played both and the classic is thicker than the standards but some are thick like classics. for sure. and epiphones are inferior to gibsons (well gibsons are 10x better tyhough for sure). which is why im mooching 2000 dollars off anyone who is willing.

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: