Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Q. about vocals on "Oh My God", "Better" etc (how they sound)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q. about vocals on "Oh My God", "Better" etc (how they sound)  (Read 1302 times)
ben9785
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:24:45 PM »

Hi

I was wondering if you could offer your opinion regarding the sound of Axl's vocals on most of the new songs we've heard, primarily on "Oh My God", as well as some of the demos like "Better", "Catcher in the Rye", "T.W.A.T" etc

Axl's voice obviously sounds very manipulated/processed. I wonder if you could help me try to pick out the kind of effects they've put on his vocals. Obviously he wouldn't have had the vocals processed live with effects while he was recording his vocals, rather they were processed afterwards.

I'm trying to figure out the kinds of effects they've put on his vocals, and how you could achieve something relatively close. Due to lack of audio processing tools and effects etc I have, I kind of tried to mess around for starters by attaching the microphone through a multi guitar fx and trying to go through different effects and narrowing down the choices, and recording it onto the computer and further experimenting.

I'm not the most technical person especially in this regard, but I can conclude that for starters his voice is obviously distorted; in some parts it almost sounds like his voice is processed with something that is the quivalent to auto-wah on guitar, except not as treated.. i also assumed there would be high end filtering since his voice is a bit lighter almost, if that makes sense

Is there plugins or something you can start with to obtain similar results? (I'm using a PC)
Or I could maybe try to find some sort of vocal effect unit that would be able to manipulate these effects much easier?

If anybody's got suggestions I'd appreciate that alot please. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 11:27:49 PM by ben114 » Logged
TheMole
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:02:42 AM »

I would assume it has a compressor on there, with a slight distortion,  and dubbing of course. That should give a comparable effect.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: