Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 10:58:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Sitars
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sitars  (Read 6671 times)
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« on: January 24, 2007, 10:56:01 PM »

Does anyone here play a sitar?

I kind of got interested in the instrument recently after listening to George Harrison and later Beatles albums lately a lot lately.

Here he is playing with Ravi Shankar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLZ-zW9Ti4

So what do you guys think of the instrument? Is it that hard to play?

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:47:50 AM »

A sitar can be considered to be the superset of a guitar. More notes. It's quite difficult to play as well. You need metal spikes on all your fingers that you use as a plectrum (Making you look like a weird witch). It's also difficult to lug around as the instrument is huge.

But the sound is distinctive. Nothing else sounds like the sitar.  Smiley

Fuck 'Em All.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:39:56 AM »

I never new that about the plectrums.

I guess it is pretty big, but I probably wouldn't be lugging one round to gigs if i had one  hihi 
I'd probably just use it at home when i felt like playing it.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »

There are about 20 something strings on a sitar as well.  A polyphonic set and below a symphonic set.  It's a very difficult instrument to play well.  But they sound awesome.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:04:43 PM »

Check out a Canadian band named The Tea Party....Jeff Martin the lead Guitarist/Singer uses a Sitar alot...PM me for more info about them Robman Wink

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 05:53:35 PM »

Pmed ^

Does anyone know the best manufacturers of sitars?
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »

You really going through with this?

Not to discourage u or anything, but the sitar is very difficult to learn. Tuning is a bitch with 20 strings (Plus, there is no standard way to tune a sitar. Different musicians tune differently depending on the music they will be playing). If u can find a good teacher somewhere then I suppose it's ok.

Just so you know what you're getting into.  ok

Fuck 'Em All.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 10:59:54 PM »

Well, I gotta find where to buy one from first, online or otherwise.

But yeah, thanks for the info. It doesn't discourage me, it just makes me think of how much fun it will be to learn to play one.  hihi

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 09:39:49 AM »

I've seen them for sale at a few guitar shops....i dunno who makes them though...aren't they hand crafted? not really mass produced i dont think.....i looked at one once and said forget that shit rofl Shocked

6 strings is hard enough for me confused

I found some info for you robman ok

A sitar is basically a hollowed out pumpkin with a neck, a gourd at the top of the neck (for extra resonation) and strings (19).

The Sitar is an ancient Indian instrument (the design is over 600 years old) which was popularized in the west during the 60s by such groups as the beatles (who were the first to introduce Jeff Martin to the exotic sound the Tea Party have adapted). The Sitar has another relative called a Tambura. It's basically a fretless drone Sitar. Almost the bass Sitar, if you will. For those of you who have recently seen the Intimate and Interactive with the Tea Party (May 20), during "Save Me", the Tambura was theInstrument used as the bass.

Information on the Sitar
The Sitar is an ancient Indian instrument adapted from another ancientIndian instrument, The Southern Veena. It is constructedusing a design over 800 years old. It is made using a dried out pumpkin for the body,Tun or Sheasham wood for the neck, and a dried out gourd for the resonator at the top of the neck. The Sitar has 7 strings on the upper part of the body and eleven of twelve sympathetic strings under the frets. To be able to allow the sympathetic strings to be under the frets and resonate, the frets are arch shaped to allow for free resonation. All frets on a Sitar are moveable. They are held to the neck only with strings.There are a few variations on the design such as the single Sitar which does not have the sympathetic strings and the double Sitar, which does not have the gourd at the top of the neck.

To play the Sitar is similar to playing the guitar although there are a few variations in the styles of playing. First, instead of using a pick, a Sitarist uses a 2 mizrabs (see picture) which is a metal finger pick. One mizrab is placed on the index finger and the other on the pinky. Second, the sitting position of the Sitar is quite different from a guitar.See the pictures for the most popular Male and Female sitting positions. Third, the tuning of the Sitar is quite different. Strings #6,7 (two strings closest to the player - as in string #6 on guitar) are called chikaries. String #7 is tuned to high C (1 octave higher than middle). String #6 is tuned to Middle C. String #5 is tuned to a double low C (2 octaves lower than middle). Strings #2,3,4 are tuned to low C (1 octave less than middle). Finally, String #1 is tuned to low G. The sympathetic strings are tuned in a standard C major scale starting with a low G up to a high C or D. The fourth and most dramatic difference in playing is the Indian Music System. I won't go into much of it here, as it is very very complicated and will just confuse the hell out of anybody who tries to make sense of it using my understanding of it. The Indian music system is based on Ragas, which to my knowledge are something in beetween a riff and an entire song. The Indian music notation is basically the same as the western system. However, there are more notes." Just to add to Mike's description, Western music works in haf tones. That's how you get a G# or an F# as opposed to a G or and F. If you can wrap your mind around it, the Eastern tradition embraces quarter tones. Thus there is a note in between the sharps and flats. Therefore, as an example, there is a note between F and F#. Pretty cool stuff. That's why when you listen to Eastern singers, their voices just kind of go all over the place and it sounds very . . . umm well it sounds pretty different to a first time listener. A lot of people say it grates on the ears, but I kind of like it, if you get a good singer. "Each western major note has 2-4 different Shrutis. A Shruti is a very minute gap in the pitch of a note which most people would not be able to notice (as in a very small string pull on a guitar).

Just to let you know, The Tea Party recommend Kala Kendar in Toronto to buy exotic instruments. Now Jeff bought his sitar in a pawn shop in Toronto for I think 300 dollars. Sitars are generally a double gourded instrument. Now what does that mean? Well, to start, a gourd is a dried out vegetable shell, such as pumpkins. There is one of these at the bottom and the top of a sitar, thus a double gourded instrument. Jeff's doesn't have one on the top (see picture), only one on the bottom, serving as the body of the guitar. Jeff has never bothered to buy a new one because he likes his.

http://www.teaparty-online.com/bazaar/sitar.htm

Where did the band buy the instruments?
The band's favourite stores are World Music in the Village in New York City, Kala Kendar in Toronto, Ali Akbar School of Music in San Raphael, California and Lark in the Morning. Don't forget to say the Tea Party sent you, for a discount. In addition, while traveling in Australia, Turkey, and Europe, the group has brought back a few different things of antiquity.

http://www.teaparty-online.com/bazaar/faq.htm

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:07:39 AM by Neemo » Logged

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 04:23:05 PM »

thanks neemo

I read somewhere about the company in New Dheli that makes sitars, the place where George Harrison bought his, and Ravi Shankar uses their instruments.

I was looking at their website a few days ago.

But i forgot the name  Undecided

kevoutus1
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »

I got one off ebay last year for arounf ?140. Dont let the 20 string thin put you off as you most are sitting underneath and are only there for ambience.

I personally dont get much out of it (apart from norweigan wood) as it can only be played in one key (mainly C or C#).

Im putting it up on ebay.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 06:06:47 PM »

Why can it only be played in one key?

Sorry if its a dumb question, I'm an idiot when it comes to sitars  hihi
kevoutus1
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 09:42:06 AM »

Because you pretty much only play one string and the others are pretty much openly tuned to a key.
Chords are not played on these instruments.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 11:09:10 AM »

Oh, I see what you mean.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend like 800-1000 dollars on my sitar and I was looking at like 2 different places right now.

This one, which is supposed to be a good company, according to reviews I've read
http://www.buckinghammusic.com/sitar/kmain.html

Its in the US, which is good.

Theres another site, but its having problems and won't load right now. I'll post it later.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »

Here's something weird: Guitar Sitar?   Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »

Here's something weird: Guitar Sitar?   Wink

Yeah i saw those  hihi

It actually does look pretty cool

I remember the guy from the Darkness played one in a sitar solo on 'one way ticket'

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lCkmnIOskks   at around 2 minutes
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »

I have another question, whats the difference between the sitars with one toomba, and ones with another one on the neck?

Which one should I get?

For example, one like this

Or one like this, with the thing on the neck

If i got one with the thing on the neck, would I have to keep it on or would I be able to play without it if I wanted to?

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 04:37:03 PM »

That thing just screams "complicated". hihi

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 09:55:06 PM »

I have another question, whats the difference between the sitars with one toomba, and ones with another one on the neck?

That's a secondary resonator, for a deeper sound. Not really necessary, I suppose, but I'm not sure. Better ask the guy you're buying it from.

If i got one with the thing on the neck, would I have to keep it on or would I be able to play without it if I wanted to?

I don't think it's detachable.

Fuck 'Em All.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 10:45:03 PM »

Yeah, I read on a site with a girl with a sitar. She said she left it off because it was so heavy and made the instrument top heavy. Its an optional thing then. And it appears to be detachable since the company sells sitars with a case for the sitar and a separate one for the extra resonator.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: