Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 03:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227861 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  I want to start my own solo project but...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I want to start my own solo project but...  (Read 6536 times)
ShawnK
Opening Act

« on: June 17, 2007, 02:11:53 AM »

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:03:18 AM by ShawnK » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:26:54 AM »

Fuck a band. Having to deal with other people and their "Visions" is why I just learned all the instruments and do my own thing.

So I advise u to do your own thing.

play music YOU want to play and if someone doesnt want to play your stuff t hen u shouldnt wanna be in a band with them anyway.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:14:05 PM »

Fuck a band. Having to deal with other people and their "Visions" is why I just learned all the instruments and do my own thing.

So I advise u to do your own thing.

play music YOU want to play and if someone doesnt want to play your stuff t hen u shouldnt wanna be in a band with them anyway.

Amen D.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:30:50 PM »

Dave,

Just do your own thing until you can find other musicians who share the same vision.  Someone will come along one day, but until you find new bandmates, just keep writing and coming up with new material until then.

Axl was working on November Rain since the early 80's, and he had quite a few bandmates come and go....
gnrfanxxx
Rocker

The majority

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:32:09 PM »

if you feel that this band might not be right than it isn't. if they cant handle you wanting to do your own thing than screw em beer

where does it leave me, when you dont believe in me?
ben9785
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:51:37 AM »

Yep I know exactly what this is all about. Since I was in high school I never managed to get a band together because everybody else liked pop-punk stuff or nu metal, and nowadays i see these same people and they have moved with the trends, they start emo / screamo / ....core bands etc. I've jammed with them on odd occasions, and for a short while i was the bass player in one such band but they were so determined on becoming the next SLIPKNOT that i bailed and lied and said i was moving interstate.

I doubt i'd ever be putting a band together for these reasons.. everybody that i know or have met talks but doesn't do shit, they're too lazy. and whatever song ideas i usually come up with is completely opposite to what they like, or they want to do, which is write music to make them "popular" or think of songs that would make "a festival pit go crazy".

Obviously you are very loyal to your friend, that's a bit different. There's no reason why you two guys can't collaborate with your own shared musical vision, but it seems that, like every musician out there, you have your own vision and direction for a band as well, and there's absolutely no reason why you can't do your own 'solo' project as an outlet for that, without compromising any friendships.

Good luck with it buddy.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 08:54:57 AM »

Think 'The White Album' - there are John songs, Paul songs, Ringo and George songs - somehow it all comes together. In any event you can use this as an example when explaining the situation to your friend.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 07:41:23 PM »

Think 'The White Album' - there are John songs, Paul songs, Ringo and George songs - somehow it all comes together. In any event you can use this as an example when explaining the situation to your friend.
well actually just about every beatles album was that way
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 10:32:54 AM »

I've had similar experiences.. I wrote 18-20 songs and had demo versions recorded.. took them to the other guy I formed the project with and he hdin't like the fact that I was doing it and he eventually left a few months later. Him playing parts I wrote and suggesting tones and effects made him feel like a second rate musician ( i guess ) I could tell there was some tension in the early rehersal stages.. we tried about a year later to work things out but just couldn't.. and I've never found a steady group of musicians to get that project going..You find 1 or 2 guys for a few months and you jam and 1 leaves and the other goes, you get another and start over and eventually you get tired of the same ol'...

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »

If he's your friend he would understand your ambitions and musical insight and let you do your thing

OR

The band would agree to play your songs

otherwise they're not really your friends  beer

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
sucker punch
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 01:06:19 PM »

Go for it thats what i think, he has the choice to play the songs if he dosnt want to its his choice. smoking
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 06:56:33 PM »

Yep I know exactly what this is all about. Since I was in high school I never managed to get a band together because everybody else liked pop-punk stuff or nu metal, and nowadays i see these same people and they have moved with the trends, they start emo / screamo / ....core bands etc. I've jammed with them on odd occasions, and for a short while i was the bass player in one such band but they were so determined on becoming the next SLIPKNOT that i bailed and lied and said i was moving interstate.

I doubt i'd ever be putting a band together for these reasons.. everybody that i know or have met talks but doesn't do shit, they're too lazy. and whatever song ideas i usually come up with is completely opposite to what they like, or they want to do, which is write music to make them "popular" or think of songs that would make "a festival pit go crazy".

Obviously you are very loyal to your friend, that's a bit different. There's no reason why you two guys can't collaborate with your own shared musical vision, but it seems that, like every musician out there, you have your own vision and direction for a band as well, and there's absolutely no reason why you can't do your own 'solo' project as an outlet for that, without compromising any friendships.

Good luck with it buddy.

WOW that sounds like my experiences.

People are Trend following posers OR they just want to play a bunch of fuckin cover songs.

I am not a fan of doing either of those two.

I dont follow trends and I dont play cover.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 01:01:35 PM »

^^

thats exactly the problem i have with musicians... you put a ceiling on what you will and will not do.

at the end of the day, i love to play... i don't care what.. patsy cline, ted nugent, original shit, emo shit, rock, classic rock, metal, covers, whatever... it's not about you and never will be
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:03:52 PM by I.K.N.K.N » Logged

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »

Problem is there are 3 types of musicians
1) Metal shredder fags- they want to scream about satan and play really fast and flat every damn 5th on the fretboard to sound evil
2) Sensitive types- my good friend only plays his acoustic and stopped liking rock a long time ago. They play like Death Cab and DMB and shit. Maroon 5 is heavy to them
3) Scenester emo losers- They play whatevers popular like fallout boy and underoath

then theres a few of us (mostly located on this board hihi) who are blues based and into their own thing not straying far from blues based rock.

so thats what you deal with and thats how its gonna be

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »

Problem is there are 3 types of musicians
1) Metal shredder fags- they want to scream about satan and play really fast and flat every damn 5th on the fretboard to sound evil
2) Sensitive types- my good friend only plays his acoustic and stopped liking rock a long time ago. They play like Death Cab and DMB and shit. Maroon 5 is heavy to them
3) Scenester emo losers- They play whatevers popular like fallout boy and underoath

then theres a few of us (mostly located on this board hihi) who are blues based and into their own thing not straying far from blues based rock.

so thats what you deal with and thats how its gonna be

Yea I was gonna say I beg to differ Im straight blues based rock n roll!! To the people who referred to the beatles album's , thats how ANY good band is every member shares ideas to create the music. You think Robert Plant made Stairway complete with the guitar parts and such? Or that Axl wrote all of AFD without help from Izzy and Co? A band needs to feed off of each other to work , would you mind playing his material? You don't want a band , you want a back up band , you want to be the focus here.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »

Uh, what?

RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »

Uh, what?

Im saying , that a GOOD band feeds off everyones idea's.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »

right but what about CD? Its basically axl telling people what to do, the lineup is still a good band thouh

ben9785
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 02:21:39 AM »

Sure a good band feeds off everyone's ideas, i completely understand and agree. The problem is that they listen to the wrong kind of music though. I am always willing to play with people and check out their style and influences, but obviously there is a line drawn, especially because where i am, everybody wants to make a band that sounds like a new Killswitch Engage or the next Slipknot or whatever, and that's fine, i'm sure they have alot of fun, but I don't want to play in that kind of band because it's the same kind of music that everyone is making nowadays and personally I don't find any enjoyment or challenge or vague interest in it. I would love to play in a band and collaborate with people, but I'd rather it was people that I feel influenced by, just like I'm sure Robert Plant and Jimmy Page had a common musical ground, or Axl and Slash complemented each other well because they had similar interests in music.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »

right but what about CD? Its basically axl telling people what to do, the lineup is still a good band thouh

I wouldn't go that far its Axl's idea's but other people such as BBF are putting their effort in and ideas aswell. Which is why I honestly think it is taking a long time for this to come together , because Axl and Slash had the right musical ground back in the day , Axl had pieces like November Rain and Slash accented them without ever overdoing it. Axl wants to find that again , and its hard but I think he may have got it.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: