Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 12:35:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227860 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Riad N' The Bedoins - rhythm guitar cover
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Riad N' The Bedoins - rhythm guitar cover  (Read 11043 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« on: April 15, 2010, 11:42:16 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHw3nwz-NJ8

Yeah, I know, the quality sucks. As soon as I get my iPhone back I'll upload a new one.

This song is really fun to play. I uploaded the video because I only see one person (some Japanese guy) playing (really good) some of the riff and the first half of BBF solo. Anyways, in case someone is trying to learn, it may help.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHw3nwz-NJ8

Yeah, I know, the quality sucks. As soon as I get my iPhone back I'll upload a new one.

This song is really fun to play. I uploaded the video because I only see one person (some Japanese guy) playing (really good) some of the riff and the first half of BBF solo. Anyways, in case someone is trying to learn, it may help.

I can tell you have worked very hard on that Voodoo, it sounds brilliant. I too love the riffs and progression of this song, and you perform the rhythm very nicely.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »

Thanks man! Its such a shame this song is so underrated - its one of the best showcase of the band (outstanding drums, guitar work, bass and vocals). Also a shame they don't play this song live since 2002...

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:21:11 PM »

I recorded a new video with a closer look at the main riff (with better video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnwzhiFr1Iw

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:18:51 PM »

Well done again Voodoo, you really have that down nicely.

It sounds just like the track, my favourite part is around the 33 sec mark on your video. I understand your playing the rhythm, and at that part there's a simple riff that goes with that rhythm perfectly, when Axl says "Oooh my salvation".

I noticed your guitar, I have an Epiphone LP too, but are you using any effects as well, as your sound is mint too.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »

Thanks man!

What do you mean by "mint"? I used just some custom preset on the Amplitube VST plugin after recorded the guitar plugged straight into the computer (I was kinda lazy to use real effects and all the wired required hihi). Kinda missed some of the attack in the strings...

I know about Robins lead guitar following Axl in the chorus. I can record it too, if you want. Smiley

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »

Thanks man!

What do you mean by "mint"? I used just some custom preset on the Amplitube VST plugin after recorded the guitar plugged straight into the computer (I was kinda lazy to use real effects and all the wired required hihi). Kinda missed some of the attack in the strings...

I know about Robins lead guitar following Axl in the chorus. I can record it too, if you want. Smiley

Don't worry, mint is slang in England for something that is nice.

Yes man, you should do Robins part as well, it's a nice little riff. The solo is good too, but I'm not going to challenge you to do that. Wink

I saw your other videos too and you was in a GN'R cover band, is that you?, sure looks like it.

It's funny though, because I'm a big fan of Robin, everytime I play GN'R songs. I change it to Robins version, for example I play the SCOM solo, Robins way.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 02:32:55 PM »

Well, I don't know about the solo because I kinda stopped playing for real about two years ago because of my injured wrist. I could try that, tho. The problem is with the fretless part.

Just give me some time and I'll record Robin's guitar work on Riad. There's also a really nice wah rhythm after the first chorus with a funky feel that's not really noticeable on the original recording. Smiley

Yeah, I did a special appearance as a kinda Robin cover in that band. Not quite a good experience as I was the only one interested in rehearsing the songs for real (notice how out of tune the whole band was in the beggining of Better and Chinese Democracy). When we played SOD/The Blues, we NEVER had a single rehearsal and the keyboard guy played in a different key. It was more embarassing than fun and they were all cocain addicted (they deliberated wanted to copycat any single thing from the classic GNR members), so I didn't want to play with them anymore.

I play like Robin's take on the old songs too. I learned a lot back when I was rehearsing (alone, of course) to play the old songs with that cover band. I really used to love that November Rain solo... I miss it so much.

Evita
Rocker

Yes, it's me!

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »

Wow, super!!!   ok

Guns N' Roses - W. Axl Rose
You can visit www.gnrwar.com
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »

Thanks Evita! Smiley

Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »

Really liked that Voodoo! really tight playing right there! well done!  Cheesy

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 08:42:16 AM »

Thanks man. I just wish I could play Ron and Bucket solos. Smiley

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »

I know, me too.

I'm sure Ron decided to try to make his solo so mindblowingly hard, that no one would have a hope of trying to follow it.  Smiley

Also Voodoo, could you clear something up. On the demo, is it both Robin and Bucket doing the solo or just Bucket?. I always thought it sounded like Robin doing the first half, then Bucket sliding in to finish the second half.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 11:58:53 AM »

You're right, that's both - first half is Robin. That's how they played live, at least, but I think it's fair to say that's how they recorded in the demo.

BTW, there's a guy on YouTube saying the Chinese Democracy Guitar Book credited Robin and Bucket playing the first solo of Street of Dreams. I think that's a mistake, as it's kinda clear how this solo is all Robin and only the outro is Bucket.

I don't have the book yet, so I can't confirm if it really says that.

Gezzy
Headliner

Don't Damn Me

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 02:17:24 PM »

You're right, that's both - first half is Robin. That's how they played live, at least, but I think it's fair to say that's how they recorded in the demo.

BTW, there's a guy on YouTube saying the Chinese Democracy Guitar Book credited Robin and Bucket playing the first solo of Street of Dreams. I think that's a mistake, as it's kinda clear how this solo is all Robin and only the outro is Bucket.

I don't have the book yet, so I can't confirm if it really says that.
I have the book and yeah, above the start of each solo, it says who played it, the Street Of Dreams solo is recorded in 2 parts with 2 different guitar sounds, so you can't really blame the guy on the listening half, but he should have checked some videos online to get it 100% to the right guy.

For Riad, the first solo is said to be Ron's and the last solo to be Bucketheads.
Finck solos on 7 songs, CD, Better, Street, TWAT, CITR, IRS & This I Love.

Velvet Revolver
23/01/2005
05/06/2007
Guns N' Roses
17/10/10
26/05/12
Thin Lizzy w/ Richard Fortus
02/06/11
Duff McKagan's Loaded
05/11/11
Slash
06/06/12
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 02:36:17 PM »

No man, we were talking about Riad demo.

And yeah, there are two different takes (seems like three, if you count the very last note of Robin's solo), but I still think it was more a mistake because of the outro. Several Chinese Democracy solos from Buckethead (the Scraped ending comes to my mind) and Bumblefoot (Shacklers fretless/fretted) are clearly several takes put togheter, so it shouldn't be why the guy miscredited SOD.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »

Gezzy, What part does Robin solo in CITR then, I thought that was all Ron.

I know Robin does those tasty little interlude riffs, but does he play any part of the main or outro solo?.

Thinking about it, they most likely mean the riffs I mentioned, but I'm confused now.  Undecided

Voodoo, any insight into this?.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 02:55:35 PM »

You're right, it's just that in the booklet the licks after Ron's 1st solo (that keeps going on in the chorus) are considered to be a solo too.

Very tasteful licks, by the way. They were all in the previous demo with Brian May, which included the ending with a nice little riff in the left channel starting right before May's ending. Kinda miss that part in the Chinese Democracy version, but I also love Ron's wicked solo and rhythm guitar at the ending.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »

So where's this Riad solo Voodoo, got round to working it out yet.  hihi

Haha, I'm only joking.

I think even Ron would be hard pressed to do it exactly like he did, on the CD again.  Grin
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »

Haha, I just didn't try anything anyways. I assumed it was too damn hard for my duties. hihi

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »

they gotta play this fuckin song on the next tour, one of my favourite on the album (minus the long belated intro), i just love the whole feel of the song, its like scraped mixed in with a little of the title track

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »

The song IS awesome. And I've been saying this for exactly 10 years - since I heard the Vegas 01 boot.

It's really a shame they seem unable to play this one. I remember that Tommy said in a radio interview something about that legal issue with the intro preventing them to play it.

Anyways, I can record videos in HD now. I may try to re-record the song with better audio too now. We'll see...

gunns1
Legend

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »

well I suppose they would have no legal issue if they cut the intro all together, and maybe even add something different instead (ala scraped live? ) but they just have to play it, even if its just the one time.

I loved it since vegas as well, I loved his high clean voice doing the 'ohhhhs' very catchy and rockin, definitely great and I think the song would be a lot more peoples favorite minus that intro which is disappointing to know as its the 1 thing holding the song back from being played live.

Irony at its best?

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 07:59:31 AM »

I dunno, I remember when the Vegas bootleg came out how people would call it "eletronica meets industrial". Yet, the song is the closer we got from the AFD era - I mean, the hard rock riffs are all there with all those licks througout the verses. And of course, there's no electronic thing there besides the little pulse intro and some keyboards before the solo.

I like to think that if we had this song on RIR3 (as I was anxiously waiting for by that time - just to be totally bummed about its absense) with the soundboard quality and all the emotional performance of that night people may would like it better. Too much people I know didn't really give the song a chance once it came out in that Vegas boot and had a prejudice about it.

Having said that, I love the Vegas version. Axl's vocals were spot on and you can clearly hear Robin's guitar work in the chorus - IMO, one of his best moments in the new songs. In fact, everyone is shining there - Brain's drums (kudos to Josh Freese's arrangement), Paul Tobias and Tommy riffs, Buckethead shredding, Axl melodies.

Anyways, I found another guy playing the rhythm guitar on this song, it sounds better than mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZAI7pgvC0&NR=1

gunns1
Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »

the best drums out of the whole album are on this song!

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »

I want to add that the melody in this song is just so spiritual and godly. I remember when I first heard this, I was just stuck in that loop of melody for days and days.

And I wish GN'R saw fit to play this live more often, I think it would be badass.  ok
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »

the best drums out of the whole album are on this song!
Agreed 100%. And it fits perfectly to the Black Dog-ish riff. ok

I want to add that the melody in this song is just so spiritual and godly. I remember when I first heard this, I was just stuck in that loop of melody for days and days.

And I wish GN'R saw fit to play this live more often, I think it would be badass.  ok
Me too, as much as I love Brain, I think Frank would make it sound even more heavier.

I'd love to see Ron playing that solo live too. It's one of my favorites.

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: