Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:02:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  1993 Nirvana year,yea right????
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1993 Nirvana year,yea right????  (Read 19085 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2005, 11:49:21 AM »

Gnr, even in 1993, was a bigger band than Nirvana and Pearl Jam on a worldwide scale.

Yep, although the perception of them had diminished greatly in industry circles and other bands were considered drastically ahead of the game in comparison.

Now being cool is another story and is certainly debatable.

Very debateable for sure, although time has been very kind to the band from Seattle and their perception in rock history is definitely on a different level, for whatever reasons.

As far as another 1991 Nirvana or an 1987 Gnr emerging to clean the slate, I don't see it on the immediate horizon.

OK, gotta call you on this one, GNR's impact in '87 was not even close to that of Nirvana in '91.? They did no "slate cleaning" by any means.? Bands like The Crue, Skid Row, Poison etc thrived long after AFD's slow burn reached it's peak.? GNR elevated the scene for sure, but they sure as hell didn't put anybody outta business.? Nevermind changed the way the industry thought, changed the way bands were perceived and had a major impact on radio playlists and station formats that is still being felt to this day in the states.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2005, 12:12:16 PM »

Falcon, I agree....however, Gnr was a significant event, one of the last big ones along with Ok Computer in 1997/1998. Neither were as dramatic and influential as Nevermind.  As far as today goes, Nirvana still holds an edge on reputation as a band over the original Gnr. But, the gap has begun to close and will close even more over time. Nirvana's affect will dilute as did the Sex Pistols. Finally, industry people don't buy records and tickets. I just watched Pink Floyd live from Pompeii and Waters was ripping the media and industry and their perception of Floyd. Basically, he was saying your relevant until people stop coming to your shows and stop buying your records. beer
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2005, 12:45:52 PM »

if Nirvana really ?changed the music industry, why do they have weak record sales? 35 million records sold worldwide for a so-called "revolutuionary" band is pretty weak. Guns N' Roses it's 85 million records, and today, Oasis are close to 50 million records.? It shows Nirvana didn't hit people as much as the media wants to claim...overrated. definitely overrated.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 12:49:21 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2005, 12:49:18 PM »

Explain your logic about CD being a parody? The new band seems very original and different, even Axl himself.

Chinese Democracy is a joke it should have been out at least 5 years ago, Axl has braids, Buckethead was in the band, to you thats original to most people its weird and not Guns N Roses. No I wouldnt care if they went back to glam its still Axl, He's wearing oversize jerseys now!

StoneTempleRoses

Dude, you really serious? You wouldn't mind if Axl went Glam? How about rock in general? You really liked that glam period? Man, Im 31 now, so unfortunately I remember that time all too well, and I'm not going to get on you about your opinion, but I can't imagine you are thinking clearly when you say that. I respect you, but its not possible you mean that. That had to be the most ludicrous, embarrasing, and ridiculous time in music. Absolutely the most embarrassing period in Rock history. I am happy that Metallica moved to San Fran to get away from that L.A. glam scene. Just utterly gay. There is nothing Axl could do (wear jerseys and braids, or whatever else), would possibly be as bad as that. Guys earing makeup...jesus christ. I always wondered how did rock go from Jimi Hendrix, Doors, Black Sabbath, and Zepplin....to the gay ass glam shit. Rock is always better when the artist is more grounded. Not when they try to become pretty. And in '93 GNR started getting dangerously close to trying to be pretty.

Rock can and should be weird. Know your history. When the Beatles arrived here, they were fucking weird. There longer hair wwas weird and grew a lot of criticism because of it. You think they gave a fuck. Their music was the top of the game at that time. Later Beatles grew and develloped the psychedilc 60's and certaintly got stranger and stranger. Again, you think Lennon gave a shit. There music they created is some of the most timeless music there is. They sure as shit weren't the pretty boys in the late 60's. Thank fucking god GNR broke free of the Glam confines in the late 80's. But I think at some point they lost there way. And the Seattle scene seemed a lot more real and grounded. The new GNR seems to me, a band that doesn't give a fuck. That is being the real GNR.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2005, 12:56:33 PM »

I always wondered how did rock go from Jimi Hendrix, Doors, Black Sabbath, and Zepplin....to the gay ass glam shit
Very simple. It was the creation of Metal music. It wasn't Rock music, but rather the start of the whole Metal thing. It had nothing to do with the Classic-Rock thing.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2005, 01:06:30 PM »

if Nirvana really ?changed the music industry, why do they have weak record sales? 35 million records sold worldwide for a so-called "revolutuionary" band is pretty weak. Guns N' Roses it's 85 million records, and today, Oasis are close to 50 million records.? It shows Nirvana didn't hit people as much as the media wants to claim...overrated. definitely overrated.

You're kidding right?

Sales and impact/influence/perception are hardly synonymous...

EDIT: This horse is dead...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:10:00 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2005, 01:19:37 PM »

Nesquick, you can't be serious?  Nirvana ran those shitty 80s bands and all their bad songs about the Sunset Strip  out of town.  Nirvana absolutely changed music, after Nevermind radio changed, videos changed and most importantly the lyrical content of songs grew.  Oasis sure has changed music, haven't they?  Oh yeah, they are still ripping off the Beatles with nothing original to say. 
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2005, 01:22:13 PM »

I always wondered how did rock go from Jimi Hendrix, Doors, Black Sabbath, and Zepplin....to the gay ass glam shit
Very simple. It was the creation of Metal music. It wasn't Rock music, but rather the start of the whole Metal thing. It had nothing to do with the Classic-Rock thing.

What? Metallica was Metal. Name one "Metal" band that was as good as Metallica that looked liked glammed up faggots. And they were called "Glam Rock" right? I would also argue that Metal really started with bands like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. They didnt look like faggots either.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2005, 01:24:17 PM »

What? Metallica was Metal. Name one "Metal" band that was as good as Metallica that looked liked glammed up faggots. And they were called "Glam Rock" right? I would also argue that Metal really started with bands like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. They didnt look like faggots either.

Motley Crue, Van Halen
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:30:44 PM by Neemo » Logged

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2005, 01:26:57 PM »

So, you're saying Motley Crue and Van Halen (when the fuck did these clowns become Metal?) looked like Glammed up faggots? Read what I wrote. Shit maybe your right.

But talent wise, both of them are a pimple on Metallica and Black Sabbaths (The original Ozzy years) ass.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2005, 01:27:56 PM »

white lions, wasp etc... even the boys-band erea was more real than that kind of bands...

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2005, 01:29:20 PM »

There is little help for you if you think White Lion and wasp are as good as Metallica. Bless your soul, you poor poor boy.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2005, 01:33:16 PM »

Look at the closthes Van Halen used to where in David Lee Roth era....
Look at Shout at the Devil Crue....

Early guns dressed as "Faggots!!!" too and that's when they wrote all the stuff for AFD so who gives a shit what someone looks like if their music is good?!!!

Iron Maiden dressed pretty gay too

What about Ozzy after he left Sabbath? he was pretty stylin'

Metallica wasn't really the same style of music as Glam Rock or Hair Metal or whatever IMO. In fact they were almost underground until "the Black Album".  The only reason Metallica is compared to GnR is because they toured together. Besides metallica is Shit now. Go listen to Megadeth if you wanna hear what Metallica should've evolved into.  Dave Mustaine Kicks!!!!

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2005, 01:34:48 PM »

I didn't say they were as good as metallica, I just named some metal bands of that erea. But to tell you the truth, Metallica is not the kind of band I listen to. I recognize they are very talented, but it's not my musical taste at all. I'm not a metal head. Never was and never will be.
It's not my style at all.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:37:42 PM by nesquick » Logged

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2005, 01:37:40 PM »

That's fine. But your comment that Glam came from Metal is as ridiculous as it is innacurate. And I gave specific reasons why. You chose to name other bands that didnt help your argument in the slightest.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2005, 01:39:24 PM »

So, you're saying Motley Crue and Van Halen (when the fuck did these clowns become Metal?) looked like Glammed up faggots? Read what I wrote. Shit maybe your right.

But talent wise, both of them are a pimple on Metallica and Black Sabbaths (The original Ozzy years) ass.

Eddie Van halen is only a pimple on Metallica's ass? ?wow that's a bold statement.

Listen to Feelgood or Shout at the Devil or some of Crue's heavier tunes and tell me they are not even a bit metal

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2005, 01:41:02 PM »

Falcon, I am gonna have to call you out.  Sure, album sales aren't everything.  But this is telling, In Utero had sold as many albums as The Speghetti Incident right before Cobain Shot himself.  That would be 1 million.  Don't even try to tell me that Nirvana was still the number one rock band right before the shotgun blast.

You can't go around boasting yourself as the number one band when your major release only sells a million copies, especially at that time.  If a punk covers album with terrible promotion by GnR can sell as many albums as a major Nirvana release, people have just as much claim to saying that GnR were bigger than Nirvana in 1993. 

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2005, 01:42:43 PM »

alright. glam, metal, name it whatever you want, it's just not my taste: 666, the devil, satan, the make-up, the cult of death and blablabla... I have nothing to do with that. Hopefully for me...THANKS GOD.

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2005, 01:43:29 PM »

The Crue were metal, but they were hair metal.  Metallica was a thrash metal band.  BIG difference.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »

The Crue were metal, but they were hair metal.? Metallica was a thrash metal band.? BIG difference.

Tell me about it!!! Here's an old picture of Motley Crue btw. they look awesome!!!!

here's a couple "cool" shots of axl too from the "rare pics" thread.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: