Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 03:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227948 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Road Recovery Benefit w/Jerry Cantrell, Gilby Clarke and Perry Farrell; Video
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Road Recovery Benefit w/Jerry Cantrell, Gilby Clarke and Perry Farrell; Video  (Read 1197 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: May 04, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »

Iggy Pop, Perry Farrell and Tom Morello Join a Huge Supergroup at ?Road Recovery? Benefit

5/4/09, 11:07 am EST

?It?s about putting the smack down so you don?t put the smackdown,? joked Boots Riley before Friday night?s New York City benefit for Road Recovery, an organization that steers kids away from substance abuse by using the stories of entertainers and musicians who have been there and done that. The bar at Nokia Theatre was closed for the night and the choice of ?Love Is the Drug? as the house music probably wasn?t an accident, as artist after artist took the stage to spread messages of clean living and to play a few songs.

The young participants in the program kicked things off, and were able to go home saying they had jammed with the likes of Jerry Cantrell, Tom Morello, Gilby Clarke and Wayne Kramer, to whom the evening was dedicated. Morello debuted his project with Riley, Street Sweeper Social Club, and capped off the energized rap-rock set by playing a guitar solo with his teeth.

Billy Bragg emerged for a pair of tunes, including a cover of the Verve?s ?The Drugs Don?t Work,? Cantrell and Clarke teamed up for a version of ?Wish You Were Here,? and host Matt Pinfield spoke between sets about his own struggles and his imminent return to rehab.

The all-star jam segment opened with the four aforementioned guitarists being joined by Perry Farrell for loose but upbeat renditions of ?Mountain Song? and ?Ain?t No Right,? and Dictators frontman Handsome Dick Manitoba and Don Was joined in on MC5?s ?Call Me Animal.? Juliette Lewis gave an appropriately raspy take on AC/DC?s ?Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap,? Cantrell went into frontman mode for Thin Lizzy?s ?Jailbreak,? and Perry Farrell returned for ?Won?t Get Fooled Again,? with Clarke convincingly pulling off the song?s famous synthesizer line with guitar effects.

As he is wont to do, Iggy Pop stole the show merely by taking the stage, screaming for the band to go straight into ?Five Foot One,? followed by Lust For Life?s ?Sixteen.? Of course, the night was capped off with everyone coming onstage for ?Kick Out the Jams,? featuring Little Steven Van Zandt on guitar with Iggy and Biohazard?s Evan Seinfeld trading verses as Kramer and Morello swapped dueling guitar solos. Even if there weren?t beers to hoist in triumph, everyone seemed pretty wasted on enthusiasm.

Chris Steffen @ Rolling Stone

Some videos:

"Five Foot One" w/Iggy Pop, Jerry Cantrell, Gilby Clarke and Tom Morello (Partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9GSIvtRF8&feature=related

"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" w/Juliette Lewis, Jerry Cantrell, Gilby Clarke and Tom Morello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8H6iO4Jto

"Wish You Were Here" w/Jerry Cantrell, Gilby Clarke and Carl Restivo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6MYYgur8TU

"Ain't No Right" w/Perry Farrell, Gilby Clarke, Tom Morello and Wayne Kramer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBp_s2kADj4

Clips From Road Recovery 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvNxcko4Hg&feature=related

Photos:
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/aZpnYH4_z7S/Road+Recovery+Benefit+Concert+2009

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »

Jerry Cantrell, Tom Morello and Gilby Clarke Play Sing Sing Prison

By Wayne Kramer

On Saturday, May 2nd 2009, I returned to prison. Again.

Tom Morello, Jerry Cantrell, Billy Bragg, Perry Farrell & Etty Lau Farrell, Gilby Clarke, Boots Riley, Carl Restivo, Dave Gibbs, Don Was, Handsome Dick Manitoba, Eric Gardner and the Road Recovery staff went with me. The prison was the infamous Sing Sing maximum-security facility in Ossining, New York. I talked with the prisoners and we played music for them.

And we went in with the blessing of the New York State Department of Corrections to inaugurate a new program focusing on inmate rehabilitation. To tell you the truth, I didn't think it would happen. I could not have been more wrong. We had all played a concert the night before in Manhattan for Road Recovery, a non-profit organization that works with at-risk kids. The show was sold out with the help of my comrade Iggy Pop and it was a resounding success.

he Sing Sing show was a bonus. To say it was memorable would be a massive understatement. As would be understating the importance of reaching out to the people on the receiving end of the greatest failure of social policy in America's domestic history.

You would have to be living on the moon to not know what a disaster the "War On Drugs" has been. Twenty billion dollars a year for the last 30 years, two million Americans in prison -- 60% of them non-violent drug offenders -- and you can go out on any American street corner and buy cheaper, higher quality heroin and cocaine than you could anywhere in America 30 years ago. The political expediency of "get tough on crime" along with the sure-fire vote getting "lock them up and throw away the key" mentality has successfully created the highly profitable Prison Industrial Complex.

On Saturday, I asked a corrections officer at Sing Sing what the prisoner population in New York State is right now. "Just over 50,000," she replied. Then, it occurred to me: When I was imprisoned for drug offenses in the 1970s, the entire Federal Prison population totaled just over 50,000 inmates. Then the C.O. added that, when she started her career in corrections 20 years ago, there were 23 prisons in New York State. As I write this today, there are over 60!

Crime stats have stayed consistent over the last 30 years, but incarceration rates have more than quadrupled. It's the human cost that has been the most damaging. I'm talking about non-violent drug offenders. Countless families broken up, the marriages destroyed, three generations of kids with fathers (and mothers) in and out of the system. These are mostly brown and black people. People from America's cities who, as screenwriter David Simon describes them, "Leftover people. People who were necessary in an industrial America but who are of no use to the economy today." Non-violent drug offenders who are locked up are people who are pawns in urban political gamesmanship. Nobody talks about them. There's no political will to look at it. There's no political capital in it. It's a no-winner. But, there's certainly money in prison building and guard hiring.

Out here in California, the prison guards union is one of the most powerful political lobbies in the state. I don't have any naive ideas about this changing anytime soon. Make no mistake, though, this situation is a crime against humanity. Government should be helping, but it's not. Instead, it has created a self-fulfilling monster that eats humans whose judgment has been, at one time in their lives, critically flawed and then the monster shits out profit and political gain.

What I can do as an artist is the same thing you can do as a friend and neighbor -- stand up. Speak out. Get involved.

At Sing Sing, I talked to men who had been locked up for eight, 10, 17, 30 years but had somehow managed to hold on to hope. Men who sang along with Billy Bragg on Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" still had hopes and dreams. Their spirit was strong. I doubt any of them ever heard of the MC5 or Jane's Addiction or Audioslave, but it didn't matter one bit. They all connected with the music. What mattered was they knew, by our simple presence, that not everyone has thrown them away. I certainly haven't. Neither have all the musicians who went with me to this historic visit. Not everyone in this country believes in the Draconian approach to drug enforcement that has been the status quo for the last 30 years.

Kudos to Gov. Paterson and the NY Dept. of Corrections for inviting us in. Maybe other governors will start to wake up to the economic and human disaster that is their failed policy. Maybe Barack Obama can step up and bring justice and reason to one of our nation's greatest failures.

Handsome Dick wrote to me the following day, "Seeing those prisoners slowly shuffle back through that door, and go back to jail, got to me. Can't stop thinking about it. And me being free... and... how much I appreciate everything I have." Tru dat, Richard.

Photos: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wayne-kramer/my-return-to-prison-views_b_204077.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: