Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 08:06:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227927 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Rock is best when it's soft
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock is best when it's soft  (Read 3935 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: March 04, 2006, 02:57:23 AM »

Rock music like Queen, Led Zeppelin, GnR, Pink Floyd, etc, is all best when it's peaceful. Rock anthems are boring and crowd pleasing, and they not as beautiful as ballads or mellow instrumentals. Loud, powerful music is best left to heavy metal, with quiet music left to rock. Most of my favorite rock songs are now slow songs that focus on subtle melodies and calm vocals.

After some thrash and death metal, I think some slow rock like old Beatles songs can be relaxing. Very few metal bands, most notably Opeth and Agalloch, can be so peaceful. Granted, classical music is the best for relaxation, but rock works well often enough to be worth mentioning.

EDIT: Wrong forum, that's what I get for being sleepy and listening to Pink Floyd.  Wink
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:26:07 AM »

I quite simply don't agree, I think. I like their rockers just as much, and often more, than their balladry! ok

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »

Soft thrash is nice too

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 08:16:55 AM »

soft music?Huh?? you mean week, no week music is boring and lame like bon jovi.

GNR is not soft

pink floyd arnt heavy but they are ment to be slow to give that trippy sound.

Anyways heavy stuff is good too, like metallicas earlier years riffs, greatness.

html sucks
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 08:23:29 AM »

Rock music like Queen, Led Zeppelin, GnR, Pink Floyd, etc, is all best when it's peaceful. Rock anthems are boring and crowd pleasing, and they not as beautiful as ballads or mellow instrumentals. Loud, powerful music is best left to heavy metal, with quiet music left to rock. Most of my favorite rock songs are now slow songs that focus on subtle melodies and calm vocals.

After some thrash and death metal, I think some slow rock like old Beatles songs can be relaxing. Very few metal bands, most notably Opeth and Agalloch, can be so peaceful. Granted, classical music is the best for relaxation, but rock works well often enough to be worth mentioning.

EDIT: Wrong forum, that's what I get for being sleepy and listening to Pink Floyd.? Wink

I do wonder how u can like ballads and black metal....

....for that matter i don't understand how u can be an ultra right wing chritian zealot and listen to music glorifying satanism too....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 09:37:40 AM »

i prefer rockers to balladry. and pink floyd suck

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 11:13:40 AM »

Rockers ballads are ok when you are listening some music, but not all day I found quite stimulating hearing Painkiller or Aces High to do some sports  Wink

No man can be my equal
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 11:47:40 AM »

It all depends on the occasion
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 01:57:23 PM »

For you maybe. Everyone has different feelings when it comes to relaxing.  I can relax to anything. Just last night I went to sleep listening to Megadeth's Youthanasia.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 01:59:14 PM by Gunner80? » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 02:05:43 PM »

I do wonder how u can like ballads and black metal....

How about black (ok, viking, but it's a derivative of black metal) metal ballads like One Rode To Asa Bay? Black metal has its own style of "rockers" and "ballads", but they often meld together. You won't hear much in the way of ballads from, say, Gorgoroth, but more serious bands like Graveland often go in that direction.

....for that matter i don't understand how u can be an ultra right wing chritian zealot and listen to music glorifying satanism too....

I listen to the music for the music, obviously. Black metal bands take a lot of musical risks and directions that other bands shy away from. Besides, the lyrics are indecipherable without the notes, so one doesn't need to hear the lame Satan lyrics. Wink Unless an album is a concept album, I don't care to know the lyrics. Most lyrics to songs are terrible; the purpose of the singing is additional melody, and the lyrics are almost always nonsense. Gregorian monks and death metal bands have it right. Just hum and grunt nonsense to support the music and forget about making political statements!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 02:24:26 PM »

For you maybe. Everyone has different feelings when it comes to relaxing. I can relax to anything. Just last night I went to sleep listening to Megadeth's Youthanasia.

oh yeah Im totally with you on this.
it also goes on mood I guess. sometimes I fall asleep listening to trash metal, next time it might be Death Cab For Cutie.

plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 03:04:28 PM »

I greatly prefer hard rock and metal to soft rock.

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 06:01:10 PM »

Most lyrics to songs are terrible; the purpose of the singing is additional melody, and the lyrics are almost always nonsense.

unless of course you live in the real world, which clearly you dont

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 06:51:19 PM »

rock is best when it....rocks?

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 10:47:03 PM »

It's not what death metal vocalists say, it's HOW it is said that matters. Lyrics only matter for rap and concept albums. Classical fans don't care that operas are sung in Italian. They're there for the music and they don't care much for 17th century Italian political stories.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 10:58:48 PM »

It's not what death metal vocalists say, it's HOW it is said that matters. Lyrics only matter for rap and concept albums. Classical fans don't care that operas are sung in Italian. They're there for the music and they don't care much for 17th century Italian political stories.

hehe..?

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 01:10:40 AM »

You really are dumb aren't you?  So basically what you're saying is, only rap artists are allowed to express themselfs(with meaning) through their lyrics?  Why don't you just f**k off already!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 01:13:50 AM by Gunner80? » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 05:52:52 AM »

opera fans are more interested in emotion and expression...besides opera fans come across as haughty and up themselves

well, you ask anyone in this forum do lyrics matter to you, and you will find no matter if its guns n roses or the corrs or eminem or any other artist, people listen and take in their lyrics...you see, lyrics are emotionally tied to a person's life, someone's life, whether it be feel good or feel bad experiences...the sad thing is that there are people like you who try to push certain artists and genres into peoples psyche while belittling others in order to make your favourite genres look good

rock is great when it rocks and when its soft

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: