Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NBA Playoffs 2007
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2007  (Read 36275 times)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »

Mal Brossard.. your avatar sux no .............................................................. hihi

Yeah, it just doesn't go far enough, does it?
exactly

I'd take Oden, but I'm also an OSU fan.? However, it seems dominant big men win championships now, so I'd say that's a good reason to take him.

1999: Robinson and Duncan
2000: Shaq
2001: Shaq
2002: Shaq
2003: Duncan
2004: Pistons didn't really have one
2005: Duncan
2006: Shaq
2007: Duncan

they did have ben wallace.. although he's not that big he's still ben wallace
sandman
Legend

« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »

i think it's a tough call. a dominant (or at least very good) center is basically a requirement to legitimately compete for a title.

still, i think durant could end up being the better player, and potentially something really special.

i'd be thrilled if i were a seattle fan and had to "settle" for durant (if portland takes oden).

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2007, 01:15:13 PM »

i'd be thrilled if i were a seattle fan and had to "settle" for durant (if portland takes oden).

Definitely.  I'd love to have the "problem" of having to choose between the two.

Just so long as the Cavs don't end up with Joakim Noah.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2007, 04:42:54 PM »

Mal, while your theory holds SOME water, it's basically two men who were drafted in the 90's. 

I still think Durant will be a better player and have a better career than Oden.  Oden may love the game, but he was sort of pushed into it because of his height.  And he's had an injury, so that might play a factor into his career.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »

what you got against Noah? hihi
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2007, 05:32:56 PM »

what you got against Noah? hihi

He's an ugly motherfucker.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2007, 06:00:47 PM »

I'd take Durant over "Oden" who I'm convinced is really Robert Parish inexplicably convincing everyone he's only 18 years old.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2007, 06:06:04 PM »

I'd take Durant too... that's why Seattle's in the best position, they don't have to struggle with the decision of who to take #1... and they get the player who has a chip on his shoulder for not being picked first.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »

I'd take Durant over "Oden" who I'm convinced is really Robert Parish inexplicably convincing everyone he's only 18 years old.

LMAO!!!   rofl  Steele, nice one.  Seriously, he looks like he's 35 years old!

Same with Lebron, he looks so much older than his age.  If Lebron looked like Jordan, I think his marketability would be even greater.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2007, 08:55:08 AM »

LMAO!!!? ?rofl? Steele, nice one.? Seriously, he looks like he's 35 years old!

Same with Lebron, he looks so much older than his age.? If Lebron looked like Jordan, I think his marketability would be even greater.

I was reading an article about him this week and he told a story about a heckler who screamed at him, "Hey Greg, what was World War II like?"
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »

Oden, the 445 year old, goes  #1, Durant, the 18 year  old, goes #2 in the NBA draft. The Blazers will make the playoffs next year.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2007, 07:28:38 PM »

so grant hill sign with the suns..

are someone gonna start a 2007/08 thread?
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2007, 10:04:37 PM »

Why is no one talking about  the ref who was betting on games he refereed? He apparently has low level mob  connections. This is HUGE and calls into question the basic integrity of the entire  league, not to mention playoffs. The ref apparently has a big gambling problem that  the NBA knew about, but did nothing. And apparently the ref is willing to talk,  maybe to name other refs and players. How deep this goes will be fascinating. And now  the ref in question is  getting "threatening" phone calls. Ever wonder  why your team got hit with so many fouls  and the other team did not? Enter: the mob. And you think Vegas is EVER going to see a major league sports franchise? Ha ha.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2007, 07:08:46 AM »

Why is no one talking about? the ref who was betting on games he refereed? He apparently has low level mob? connections. This is HUGE and calls into question the basic integrity of the entire? league, not to mention playoffs. The ref apparently has a big gambling problem that? the NBA knew about, but did nothing. And apparently the ref is willing to talk,? maybe to name other refs and players. How deep this goes will be fascinating. And now? the ref in question is? getting "threatening" phone calls. Ever wonder? why your team got hit with so many fouls? and the other team did not? Enter: the mob. And you think Vegas is EVER going to see a major league sports franchise? Ha ha.

yeah i've read about that too.. man that must be why chicago were doing so good in the 90's  hihi
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2007, 08:57:51 AM »

Kevin Garnett to the celtics! they are gonna have a cool team this year
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2007, 10:35:11 AM »

What do you mean?  They just traded their whole team for Kevin Garnett...  hihi

They will have 3 cool star players though, but these guys will need to log some big minutes as I don't see their bench helping them out much.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2007, 12:06:16 PM »

What do you mean?  They just traded their whole team for Kevin Garnett...  hihi

They will have 3 cool star players though, but these guys will need to log some big minutes as I don't see their bench helping them out much.

Eh, as a Celtics fan, I think they got good value out of those guys.

Jefferson, Green, and Gomes are the real "losses".  Those guys could have been a solid foundation (and will be in Minnesota) of a good rebuilding team..  But they need time (5 to 7 years) to come into their own in the league.  Telfair and Ratliff will always be role players, and, to be completely honest, there's tons of them out there in the NBA. Easily replaceable. Ratliff was an EXPENSIVE role player, so was likely sent simply to free up room for Garnett's salary. That, and lets face it, nobody knows how he'll come back after the back surgery.

With Garnett, the Celts go from "eh" to "scary" in one player.  NONE of the 3 real "losses" could come out and have the impact Garnett will in Boston.  I think BOTH teams came away better than going in.....one of the few "win win" trades I've seen in the NBA.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2007, 12:24:24 PM »

There are some flaws with the trade for Boston....

- Their bench will obviously not be very strong
- These guys will need to log serious minutes without getting injured
- Doc Rivers is coaching, will he do a good job?
- They are going for a push now, but they still aren't better than the powerhouse Western teams / won't get the Championship
- They've only got a few good years with these guys
- If and when they do make the playoffs, is the supporting cast experienced enough to get them past the first round?  Can they beat experienced Detroit?  Up and coming Chicago?  A healthy Miami?

It's going to be a looooong season for the Big 3, but on the other hand, Boston had to do something!  It's guaranteed they aren't finishing with a worse record than last year.    hihi

Good news:  David Stern has a great distraction from the referee scandal!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »

There are some flaws with the trade for Boston....

- Their bench will obviously not be very strong
- These guys will need to log serious minutes without getting injured
- Doc Rivers is coaching, will he do a good job?
- They are going for a push now, but they still aren't better than the powerhouse Western teams / won't get the Championship
- They've only got a few good years with these guys
- If and when they do make the playoffs, is the supporting cast experienced enough to get them past the first round?  Can they beat experienced Detroit?  Up and coming Chicago?  A healthy Miami?

It's going to be a looooong season for the Big 3, but on the other hand, Boston had to do something!  It's guaranteed they aren't finishing with a worse record than last year.    hihi

Good news:  David Stern has a great distraction from the referee scandal!

1) We'll see on the bench....first up, the season hasn't started yet. Wink  Second, we'll see how the draft picks fit in.  I think they'll be OK..certainly as good as they were on that front during the "glory years" in the 80's.

2) Garnett and Allen are workhorses.  Pierce can be one to, when his attitude isn't getting in the way (and I don't think it will, now).  Now, nothing precludes freak injury....but at least they have history of being able to put in big numbers of minutes.  So it's not like these guys are being thrown into that, cold.

3)Was going to be an issue no matter what...I don't think the trade makes it worse, because at least now he's got the talent to succeed.  Of course, if he fails.....you know it's coaching.

4) You never know until the season plays out.  By and large, I'd agree.  But I'd also say they're better than Cleveland was last year....I'd say, on paper, they're probably better than ANYONE in the East but a healthy Miami, and even then they stack up pretty well.  Head to head (ie: playoffs) they just need someone big to lean on Shaq.   They may not be as good (yet..we'll see what they add...you know they'll add something, just to fill the 4 empty roster spots) as the Western powerhouses, but they're good enough to be competitive with them.

5) True, but "young" hasn't worked so far either.  And I think Danny realizes his ass is on the line.  So he needs to find a way to win today, and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.  I mean...remember, Garnett may have been in the league for 10 years, but he's only 31.  I wouldn't doubt we get a good 5 to 7 years from him.  Sir Walter Ray (did I mention I'm a UCONN fan, too?) is only 32, and Pierce is only 29.  They're pretty much in their primes, right now.  With the crew they traded, you'd be WAITING around 5 years for them to get to their primes.....now you have guys who are proven good in their primes.  Seems a fair trade off.   Besides, if McHale stays in Minn....it's a great farm system for the Celts. Smiley

6) I think so.  I mean, their bench is not LOADED, but the role players are good enough to play the roles they need to play (ie: shut up, play defense, pass the ball to Allen or Pierce, and stand around and watch them shoot or pass to KG).  You can't double team 3 guys...heck, you're hardpressed to double 2.  So whoever steps into the roleplayers positions, looking at who's on the roster NOW, will likely suffice enough to take them deep into the playoffs.  Besides, if they play well all season, and get home court.  the leprechauns will make sure the other team all contracts botchelism while flocks of pigeons divebomb the floor on their every possession. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »

They are going to sell tickets, move merchandise, get nationally televised games... which is all a win for them.  I don't see the championship coming though.  The Spurs/Suns/Mavs are too well-rounded.

Pilferk, if you had to choose... would you prefer the Celts to have gotten an Oden or Durant pick, or be in the situation they are in now?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: