Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:03:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Guns N' The Angels
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' The Angels  (Read 3631 times)
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« on: July 13, 2008, 12:49:56 AM »

I'm interested to know more about about the famous Whisky shows that The Angels did in LA with Guns N' Roses.

Who can help?

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 01:02:22 AM »

Not much info I'm afraid from a personal experience of my own, but this site has a plethora of info from '84 to present day.

http://www.gnrontour.com/
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »

Ta!

Anyone know what year it was?

There is an entry for 1986 at the Whiskey - don't think it was much later than that, GN'R got too famous for the Whiskey - Did The Angels play as Angels in Vain?

88!  They did play together again in Sydney where the Angels went on as Angel City?

PS. Stoked to hear about the reunion!  ok
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:21:50 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

raska27
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:00:22 AM »

I didn't know that show was so famous..... I've only ever heard of it once.

I've got a photo with Axl, Angry & Doc Neeson all on stage together, from an old Australian mag called Hot Metal.

The show would have been in 1989. It's not on gnrontour.com

I didn't think it was the whole of GN'R, from what the mag said, Axl and Angry just jumped up for the encore and did Nice Boys and something else. I'll see if I can find the pic and post it.

edit: just found this on the Angels web site :

"Yet they also had their share of overseas triumphs including blitzing famous venues like London's Marquee and the Whiskey in Los Angeles. It was at the Whiskey that one night they were joined for a rousing encore of the mighty 'Marseilles' Axl Rose and Slash from Guns 'N Roses (then the hottest hard rock band on the planet) who were huge Angels fans and proved it by including 'Marseilles' in their own live shows."

I also found the pic above but not sure how to post it. PM me and I'll email it to you if you want it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:19:25 AM by raska27 » Logged
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 07:22:34 AM »

Didn't know that Rose Tattoo was at the same gig.  Huh

Current tour notes for The Angels (original lineup) - Doc, The Brewsters, Bailey and Buzz - mention the famous Whiskey shows they did with Guns N' Roses:

The Angels live show has always been a tour de force. Blitzed audiences across the world from the famous Whisky shows in LA with Guns N Roses to the ?riotous? free concert on the Sydney Opera House steps on New Year?s Eve in 1979, leaving 100 000 reeling fans in their wake. The Angels have always had their fair share of issues and controversy...

(To post you need to join up with a server like Village Photos. Scan the pic. Save it to your pics then upload it into a file you create with Village Photos. Then your simply click on copy URL and insert it into your post, using the insert image icon).

I'll wait and see if anyone else can add to this.  Were Rose Tattoo there as well?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:34:22 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

raska27
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 07:35:02 AM »

Found this on Doc Neeson's web site :

"During a 1990 showcase gig at the Whisky in Los Angeles, Axl, Duff and Slash from Guns 'n Roses jumped up on stage, told the audience "these guys inspired us to join a band!" and launched into Marseilles."

Not sure how accurate this is but because it definitely happened before 1990 because the mag I have with the pic is from '89.....
raska27
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 07:46:51 AM »

Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 07:54:14 AM »

Hmmm. Looks like Angry was there (maybe)...... but for some reason Axl looks too "old" (sorry)! for it to be 1990 or 89.  confused Plus his hair was much longer in 1990.

The Angels were doing a National tour in Australia in 1989 (with Cheap Trick).

Can anyone confirm the date of the Whiskey shows? The current tour notes  for The Angels mentions shows (plural).

Interesting, the Angels were in the US 79 and 80, using the name Angel City, which they later used again at the G N' R concert in 88?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:35:10 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

raska27
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 08:02:55 AM »

It's definitely 1989. The mag is from '89 on the Angels website it says this in the history section :

1989 Bass player Jim Hilbun leaves and is replaced by James Morley. Relocate to Memphis to record 'Beyond Salvation' album at Ardent Studios. Produced by Terry Manning. First international release by Chrysalis Records. First ever national #1 album in Australia, and achieved multi platinum status. Bring out Cheap Trick for national Australian tour.

If you read in the pic it talks about them being in Memphis at the time....I've got interviews with Angry from 89 early 90 where he talks about being in LA and the GN'R guys hanging out....it all fits. As I already said it can't be after 1989 because that is when I got the below pic.

For the record, the Angels didn't use the 'Angel City' name when they opened for GN'R in '88. Angel City was a name they only used in the U.S.A. due to copywrite issues with a U.S. band of the same name. They have never used the Angel City name in Australia.

Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »

Oh, the gn'r on tour website has Angel City in Brakets after their name. I guess that's so they could be identified.

It isn't after 89? (though Axl looks very "Yesterdays" there) -  need some confirmation about the date? I can't see GN'R being at the Whiskey once they got so huge.  GN'R on tour lists what appears to be their last? appearance at the Whiskey 12.12.89 singing some songs with Mike Monroe.

Plus were there several shows (like the current tour notes say) or was it just the one? Plus the pic says that only Axl jumped on stage?

Found this on Doc Neeson's web site :

"During a 1990 showcase gig at the Whisky in Los Angeles, Axl, Duff and Slash from Guns 'n Roses jumped up on stage, told the audience "these guys inspired us to join a band!" and launched into Marseilles."

Not sure how accurate this is but because it definitely happened before 1990 because the mag I have with the pic is from '89.....

Doc here is quoted as saying 1990. Have you got the address of his website? I might check it out.
Also, is it poss. to scan the cover of the Hot Metal mag? (if it's not asking too much)! Wondering if I can chase up a copy of that too.

How Extra confusing is this! Apparently during The Angels Liveline Tour of Australia in 1987, Bob broke his wrist so The Angels were thinking of bringing down Izzy to fill in. If this was in 87 then the guys must have known eachother before then.

If they couldn't use The Angels name in America then maybe they were "Angels in Vain" listed on GN'R ontour as playing at the Whiskey in 1986? They relocated to LA in 84.

Might have to contact Spitfire Music on this one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:05:13 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »

Yeh, I remember that connection. It was approx. a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:26:00 PM by Rapunzel » Logged

Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:16:21 AM »

That would be super!  ok

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »

I would love to hear that!!! Is there any audio of this at all? The Angels are one of my Favourite bands ever. Probably my number 3 or 4 and Definately my favourite Australian band AC/DC and Cold Chisel come in at a close 2nd.

Why did the Angels go by Angel City during the GN'R shows?

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 03:08:40 AM »

I actually remember him mentioning to me once about the night Doc Neeson, Angry Anderson and Axl all sang together.  If you like I can ask him exactly where and when it was and the story behind it when I next speak to him if you are really interested in more details.

Were you able to find out the Izzy connection to the Liveline Tour in 87? You did say you spoke to Alan "quite regularly?"

I did mention that Bob was also in Skyhooks in my PM to you, in reply to the one you sent me where you asked what specific questions I wanted to know.

I thought you were going to post a description of the show here, how their voices sounded etc? What songs?

Personally, I thought that The Angels did a separate set to GN'R. LOL!

I wonder where Axl first got into The Angels? LOL!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:14:30 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: