Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Mars Volta
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mars Volta  (Read 10143 times)
Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 04:06:15 AM »

Mars Volta aren't really a conventional live band though. More of a jam band live.
I remember reading a review of them at a festival. I think they just jammed for 20 minutes, while the lead singer sat typing on a typewriter.
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 01:02:13 AM »

^Live jams are the way they create songs.  I think the more recent Mars Volta shows have been 80 percent jammage.  They play one song and then a long jam(like an hour long) and then two songs and finish.
T_Roxie
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 01:40:19 PM »

I like a lot of crazy buckethead and primus albulms, but i still dont "get" this band at all.  It sounds like horrible noise to me. no
stardustonmyfeet
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »

Mars Volta suck, nothing but noise over noise with some spanglish furiously being spit out by the lead singer.? Such a shame becuase At The Drive In had some pretty good material.? But then they split and they broke into two bands The Mars Volta & Sparta.? Sparta is actually a good rock band, check out the first 6 songs on Porcelain, fuckin mint!!! ok

Spanglish?? Spanglish is spanish and english words mixed together in one sentence.? This is a bad example, but saying "Me gusta potatoes" is spanglish.? None of the Mars Volta's lryics are like this.? Are you saying you don't like Spanish and English lyrics put together, or something?

yes i dont
Juanjay
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »

I had a friend that was in the band for a few years but is no longer in the band so I don't listen to them much anymore. I think Omar can write some good stuff but then he can write some amazingly horrible stuff as well.
VIP

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 02:50:54 PM »

The singer is probably one of the best.

Vermicide is better than the whole Spaghetti Incident times 2
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 03:22:26 AM »

New album out -  "The Bedlam In Goliath".

I've been spinning this maybe 20 times already. Fantastic album, their best since De-Loused.

Check out Aberinkula/Metatron, Wax Simularca, Goliath, Agadez, Oubeiaras (or something) and Soothsayer. Absolute top notch.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »

I really enjoyed De-Loused and Frances the Mute, but for some reason, everything since has been a little...exhausting to listen to.  I'm all for bizarre concepts and incomprehensible lyrics from time to time, and I enjoy prog. rock with the best of them, but I can only handle this one in small doses, I think.  Hopefully it'll be a grower.   peace
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 04:47:49 AM »

Much preferred At The Drive In. 'Relationship of Command' was a fantastic album.

I still do like a lot of Mars Volta's stuff, but some tunes are a little too experimental for my tastes. Gotta be in a certain mood
I definitely appreciate that they're just going for it like that though...

Meanwhile, I found Sparta good, but a bit low on excitement compared to ATDI. I guess it's really a matter of the combination of all those guys that hit the perfect note for me.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »

Much preferred At The Drive In. 'Relationship of Command' was a fantastic album.

I still do like a lot of Mars Volta's stuff, but some tunes are a little too experimental for my tastes. Gotta be in a certain mood
I definitely appreciate that they're just going for it like that though...

Meanwhile, I found Sparta good, but a bit low on excitement compared to ATDI. I guess it's really a matter of the combination of all those guys that hit the perfect note for me.

Good call.  "Relationship" was, in fact, a great album.  Sparta tunes are a bit monotonous, but are far more melodic overall than most of the Mars Volta's output (however, melody is far from the point of what Mars Volta is doing).  Time to dig out "Relationship," I think...
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »

Can't go wrong with that one!

Those guys were amazing. To hear a very contemporary sounding, Ross Robonson produced album that I LOVED blew my mind back in 2000/1 when it came out.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »

Awesome band! Deserve a little more credit if you ask me.

EEEERRRR Little boy
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 01:31:45 PM »

Will be remembered as the Zeppelin/Beatles of our time in terms of creative input.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »

Will be remembered as the Zeppelin/Beatles of our time in terms of creative input.

are you fucking kidding me? This band is fucking terrible.  I saw them open up for RHCP...terrible...just terrible....Long drawn out jam sessions played by guys who are mediocre guitar players at best...and you put them in the same category creatively as The Beatles and Zeppelin?  Am I also as creative as The Beatles?
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »

No, you're probably not.

WeHeldTogether
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 10:04:14 PM »

are you fucking kidding me? This band is fucking terrible.  I saw them open up for RHCP...terrible...just terrible....Long drawn out jam sessions played by guys who are mediocre guitar players at best...and you put them in the same category creatively as The Beatles and Zeppelin?  Am I also as creative as The Beatles?

you saw them OPENING for someone...thats the whole point.  i saw them on the same tour.  the crowd wasn't into them, they werent into the crowd either.  their sound was badly mixed in the big arenas.

i saw them twice on their solo tour this winter and they were TEN times better.  joking around with the crowd and actually looking like they were having fun.

and Omar probably isn't the best guitar player but he is very creative in the stuff he writes.

I think they're the Zeppelin of our time because of the risks they take both on stage and in the studio.  Soooo much energy live and they aren't afraid to change their song every album.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 03:16:01 AM »

After 6 months the new album still holds up.

Complex, hard hitting, melodic, experimental...it's got it all. My favorite tracks seem to be Aberinkula/Metatron, Wax Simulacra, Ouroborous, Conjugal Burns, Agadez and Goliath.

Anyone catch them live on this tour? I've missed out several times due to work, and now it happened again. Another year...

A new album slated for the end of the year, early 2009 btw.

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »

Still one of the absolute worst "bands" that I've ever heard in my life.

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 12:24:36 PM »

You keep saying that.

Good for you.