Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:04:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Is Slash the Worst Decision Maker in Rock History?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Slash the Worst Decision Maker in Rock History?  (Read 30643 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »

Ok first off, I am fan of Slash, past, present and hopefully future(these days I'm not sure if that will pan out).  This is not a thread to just rip on Slash, but to truly have a discussion and analyze his career choices post 1996.   With the news that he pretty much nixed the Corey Taylor/VR deal, I have to truly question this guys decision making process now.  Whether or not you thought Corey would be a good fit for VR, it would have interesting to say the least, and it finally got the Velvet Revolver name which has been dead for 4 years some buzz in the rock community again.  Now thats gone.  Lets anaylze some of his blunders in recent years shall we?

-Quits Guns N Roses in 1996. Let me say that again, he FUCKING QUITS GUNS N ROSES IN 1996!?? 

-Free of the burden of being in one of the greatest rock bands of all time, he decides to take part in a video by long forgotten R&B/Rap group, Blackstreet in 1997.  Remember that one?  Yeah i tried to forget it too.

-Reaches to the far ends of irrelevance to pull BREAL into a studio from the long forgotten group Cypress Hill to butcher a Guns N Roses classic with Fergie.

-Takes part in a Volkswagen commercial, nothing more rock n roll than that.  Lets just be thankful Axl has nixed MANY MANY opportunities in which Slash would have raped the GNR catalog to the highest bidder.

-Would think it would be cool to have a GNR Glee episode, until someone with a clue informed him that is not cool and he retracted that statement.

- Super Bowl...bedazzled Top Hat, need I say more?

- Slash's brain : Hey November Rain is an awesome song, but I really want to know what it sounds like with Jamie Foxx and T-Pain.  Yes lets do that.    Hey Slash sometimes terrible ideas are better off played out in your head, not on national television.

-Velvet Revolver is picking up steam with Corey Taylor attached to it, could be a great opportunity to try something different, no lets make another generic rock record with Myles Kennedy....awesome.

-Speaking of generic rock, lets not forget about that guest spot on that album by the rock n roll juggernaut that is Daughtry!  I guess Nickelback was out of town at the time.

-I almost forgot about Slash's Snakepit...so did the rest of the world.

Would anyone like to add to this list?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:35:38 AM by Bodhi » Logged
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »

- interview with Bohdi in 2011

HAW HAW kidding dude. hey man you are just picking every single bad decision out in a row, so of course he looks bad.. but hes made many good ones too right? Or else he wouldn't be the richest and (arguably) most well known of all the originals would he? Guitar hero, for example?

anyways this isn't intended to kill the thread - totally keen to hear about some more slash eff-ups i just have none to contribute. Hahahah blackstreet HAHAHHA awesome!!!!
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:17:21 AM »

For someone who left one of the biggest rock bands of all time 15 years ago, he actually seems to be doing pretty well-he just had his album go to #3 on the charts last year, and had a #1 album with Velvet Revolver sell 2 million copies back in 2004-you really are that worried about a top hat in the Super Bowl?

libertad
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »

you really are that worried about a top hat in the Super Bowl?

no that was a joke, the top hat was the least of my concerns.  The butchering of a classic rock n roll song with the Black Eyed Peas while wearing that silly thing was a far worse offense.  Of all the blasphemous rock moves ive listed you have focused on the top hat joke?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:39:42 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »

- interview with Bohdi in 2011

HAW HAW kidding dude. hey man you are just picking every single bad decision out in a row, so of course he looks bad.. but hes made many good ones too right? Or else he wouldn't be the richest and (arguably) most well known of all the originals would he? Guitar hero, for example?

anyways this isn't intended to kill the thread - totally keen to hear about some more slash eff-ups i just have none to contribute. Hahahah blackstreet HAHAHHA awesome!!!!

yes I have defended him several times over the years.   He has made some good decisions, like having guest singers on his solo album but after completely killing the Corey/VR thing, Ive decided to take a step back and not just defend the guy because I am a huge fan of his music, but to honestly take an honest look at some of his questionable and sometimes embarrassing decisions.  He is certainly on a roll in the last year.  Instead of putting out a VR record or another solo record with guest singers which would be a good idea, he is soley working with the singer who I thought produced 2 of the weaker tracks on the album.  This is going to be a snoozefest of Slash's Snakepit proportions and we all know it! 

My point of the thread is there is a serious trend of bad decisions happening of late, I think has lost it or out of touch, or both.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:36:40 AM by Bodhi » Logged
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »

I don't think that Slash does these things on purpose, he just seems to want to be in the spotlight all the time, so if that means appearing in a TV ad, or butchering a GN'R classic, then so be it.

I think Slash has changed alot since leaving Guns, and some people would say that he's lost his self worth. But I tend to feel sorry for Slash sometimes, as we all know that he would kill to be in GN'R again.  yes

I think that because he was used to selling out stadiums with GN'R, and being able to do what he wanted during 1987-1995. He is not used to being his own boss, so he makes alot of stupid decisions, which he probably thinks will get him abit of publicity.

But I don't hate him for doing all of these things, as he is doing everything by his rules. And he most probably thinks "Axl is still out there continuing GN'R, which is a band I helped to create. So why shouldn't I be able milk everything I can out of my association with that band".............Which is a hard thing to argue against, so I just let Slash get on with it.   Undecided
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »

I'll agree with your points except for the first one. I think that version of GNR had done all it could do together and Slash realized the relationship couldn't be salvaged.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »

I think Slash could do far, far worse.

I don't put much stock into who plays on who's albums. I don't think Slash was begging to play on Blackstreet's album.
He is easily the most recognizable living guitarist out there today, and people want to work with him. He obliged. Big deal.

I also think it's a very childish attitude to turn your nose up at who works with who based on what they have done in the past.
Sure, when I was in 6th grade I'd be furious that my favorite guitarist "sold out" and worked with a rapper, but can't imagine letting something like that bother me today.

If you're not interested in the collaboration, don't listen to it. I have no interest in listening to anything by Cypress Hill, so I haven't gone anywhere near it.

Then again, I hate Kid Rock with a passion, but think I Hold On is a great song, and not just by today's standards.
I don't care for Maroon 5 or Avenged Sevenfold, but like their contributions to the solo album.
I had never heard of Rocco Deluca, and probably won't delve any deeper into his catalogue, but enjoyed his song.
Same with Beth Hart and Myles Kennedy. I would probably sacrifice 1, 2 maybe all of my limbs for 5 minutes alone with Nicole (pussy cat doll) but never imagined I'd enjoy a song with her on it.

Many people thought it was weak to see Axl collaborate with the Boss and Elton John at the time. Not me, I thought it was epic, but the point is it's all subjective.

Playing in a VW commercial bothers people? Really??

Slash's snakepit albums are nothing to write home about, but not half as bad as their reputation either. Both lead singers were very forgettable, and so goes the albums.

I don't anticipate the upcoming solo record to be another Snakepit project at all. It could go either way, but he's a much more talented singer, and based on the songs I've heard, songwriter. Plus Slash seems reenergized as of late, and is playing better live than he ever did with VR in my opinion.

I don't think there is any point in continuing Velvet Revolver when the lead singer quit, and they have decided to go in a totally different musical direction. Sounds like a new band to me. Corey Taylor was anything but a sure thing. I personally think Slipknot is god awful, and don't know many GNR or VR fans that also listen to Slipknot. Just doesn't seem like the perfect match to me that others seem to think it could have been. I think Corey has a good voice, and so I would keep an open mind if they did work together, but not losing any sleep over it either way.

On leaving Guns? Well it seems pretty obvious to me if we are to believe, or half believe anything the other original members have said about their own departures. Right or wrong, they clearly couldn't get over their musical differences. Axl obviously ended up going in a different direction, and although I think it's good, it doesn't sound like something Slash, Duff or Izzy were into, and I'm glad their names aren't attached to it.

That incarnation of the band was dead the day Izzy walked out anyway, and Slash staying wasn't going to change that.
I don't see where people get the whole Slash wanting to be back in the band thing. To me it seems like he is perfectly content just where he is.

Outside of GNR and VR, without all the drama that comes along with both.

That's my 2 cents. A lot of people share your opinion, and I can respect that.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »

I think Slash has changed alot since leaving Guns, and some people would say that he's lost his self worth. But I tend to feel sorry for Slash sometimes, as we all know that he would kill to be in GN'R again.

No we all don't know that Slash would kill to be in GNR. As far as things changing for him since he left GNR you are right about that. Slash is clean, sober, and healthy. Slash has a family. In 2010 alone he successfully completed a cd and a world tour. So far in 2011 Slash has been to the SB, toured, started a movie production company, will tour again this summer and is starting a new cd with his new band. The man is known by all as a RNR Icon. If he had stayed with GNR he would most likely be dead by now.

I was not happy about the VR news either but we should have seen the writing on the wall. I don't think that Slash will find a singer to please him for any project now unless his name is Myles Kennedy. And Myles does not want to be in VR.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:33:08 PM by sleeper » Logged
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »

BTW Bodhi excellent topic. Smiley
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:31:37 PM »

Ok first off, I am fan of Slash, past, present and hopefully future(these days I'm not sure if that will pan out).  This is not a thread to just rip on Slash, but to truly have a discussion and analyze his career choices post 1996.   With the news that he pretty much nixed the Corey Taylor/VR deal, I have to truly question this guys decision making process now.  Whether or not you thought Corey would be a good fit for VR, it would have interesting to say the least, and it finally got the Velvet Revolver name which has been dead for 4 years some buzz in the rock community again.  Now thats gone.  Lets anaylze some of his blunders in recent years shall we?

-Quits Guns N Roses in 1996. Let me say that again, he FUCKING QUITS GUNS N ROSES IN 1996!?? 

-Free of the burden of being in one of the greatest rock bands of all time, he decides to take part in a video by long forgotten R&B/Rap group, Blackstreet in 1997.  Remember that one?  Yeah i tried to forget it too.

-Reaches to the far ends of irrelevance to pull BREAL into a studio from the long forgotten group Cypress Hill to butcher a Guns N Roses classic with Fergie.

-Takes part in a Volkswagen commercial, nothing more rock n roll than that.  Lets just be thankful Axl has nixed MANY MANY opportunities in which Slash would have raped the GNR catalog to the highest bidder.

-Would think it would be cool to have a GNR Glee episode, until someone with a clue informed him that is not cool and he retracted that statement.

- Super Bowl...bedazzled Top Hat, need I say more?

- Slash's brain : Hey November Rain is an awesome song, but I really want to know what it sounds like with Jamie Foxx and T-Pain.  Yes lets do that.    Hey Slash sometimes terrible ideas are better off played out in your head, not on national television.

-Velvet Revolver is picking up steam with Corey Taylor attached to it, could be a great opportunity to try something different, no lets make another generic rock record with Myles Kennedy....awesome.

-Speaking of generic rock, lets not forget about that guest spot on that album by the rock n roll juggernaut that is Daughtry!  I guess Nickelback was out of town at the time.

-I almost forgot about Slash's Snakepit...so did the rest of the world.

Would anyone like to add to this list?

The thing that has made me scratch my head the most has been the collaborations on GN'R songs with Fergie/Cypress Hill and Fergie/Black Eyed Peas, and the Jamie Foxx thing.

I would be curious to hear more of his reasoning for not wanting Corey Taylor in VR.  I assume there is something there that he hasn't fully expressed or articulated publicly.

Ali
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »

People also seem to dismiss the fact that people like Axl Rose and Scott Weiland don't come around very often. Myles isn't in those guys stratosphere, but who is? Certainly not Corey Taylor. Those guys would be a wash at best. Unfortunately rock isn't very popular today, it's not the early 90's anymore. There isn't a new crop of amazing singers coming up to choose from like Cornell, Staley, Lanegan, Vedder, Rose, Weiland etc. We were spoiled then, but rock has been on life support for years now and is clinging on for dear life, so if Myles is up for making a rock album, I'm excited to hear it.

By the Sword is the closest thing to a rock epic since Slash era Guns in my opinion. Just throwing that out there.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »

Should Slash check in on this thread to go with what everyone wants him to do, or do what he wants? Maybe he should have gone against his instincts and hired Corey Taylor, just to make headlines and everyone happy.

libertad
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »

People also seem to dismiss the fact that people like Axl Rose and Scott Weiland don't come around very often. Myles isn't in those guys stratosphere, but who is? Certainly not Corey Taylor. Those guys would be a wash at best. Unfortunately rock isn't very popular today, it's not the early 90's anymore. There isn't a new crop of amazing singers coming up to choose from like Cornell, Staley, Lanegan, Vedder, Rose, Weiland etc. We were spoiled then, but rock has been on life support for years now and is clinging on for dear life, so if Myles is up for making a rock album, I'm excited to hear it.

By the Sword is the closest thing to a rock epic since Slash era Guns in my opinion. Just throwing that out there.

I actually think rock has never been better than it is right now.  I have been waiting for this day since 1992, which i thought was the last great time period for hard rock music.  To me pretty much all of the 90's bands were forgettable compared to their 70's and 80's predecessors, with the exception of Nirvana, and I guess Pearl Jam although I am not a huge fan of theirs.

This is a great time for rock music, heavy rock music especially.  Festivals like Uproar and Mayhem are drawing huge crowds and Metallica is dominating the world with the Big 4 Shows.

On a side note about Corey Taylor, I actually don't know many GNR fans that dont listen to either Slipknot or Stone Sour, except for a good majority of fans on this board.  It doesn't seem that newer bands get much of a chance on this board it seems 1994 is like the farthest some people here go as far as bands they listen to.  That is not an insult, just an observation.  Then again not much good has come out since 1994 until recently.  But I would say the last 5 years one of the greatest periods for hard rock music ever.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »

Should Slash check in on this thread to go with what everyone wants him to do, or do what he wants? Maybe he should have gone against his instincts and hired Corey Taylor, just to make headlines and everyone happy.

you know, it might not hurt to start taking some other peoples advice.  I would be in favor of removing his decision making privileges until he proves he can handle them again.  hihi
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »

I know, that solo album last year was a horrible decision-didn't sell at all.

libertad
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »

I know, that solo album last year was a horrible decision-didn't sell at all.

I thought the solo album was a great decision,  Its the several ones before it and after it I am taking issue with.  I thought the solo album was such a great decision I couldn't wait for his follow up, until he said he was doing the whole thing with Myles. I like Myles, but I dont see the point in doing a whole record with him.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:59:08 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »

I loved VR-I'm pissed that Corey Taylor is not in the band-not into Duff's Loaded at all. but if Slash's isn't into it, I don't want one album made, then they break with Corey Taylor, and Slash says really wasn't into it in the first place, and then people will really butcher him again-there are a million things Axl and Slash do that I don't get-I wish I could manage both, but I've learned after 20+ years that it's pointless-I don't know-I'm just venting today-I don't know.

libertad
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »

Loved the first Sankepit, hated the second one-his worst stuff ever, but I just never really go back and listen to old guns stuff or VR stuff anyway

libertad
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »

I actually think rock has never been better than it is right now.  I have been waiting for this day since 1992, which i thought was the last great time period for hard rock music.  To me pretty much all of the 90's bands were forgettable compared to their 70's and 80's predecessors, with the exception of Nirvana, and I guess Pearl Jam although I am not a huge fan of theirs.

This is a great time for rock music, heavy rock music especially.  Festivals like Uproar and Mayhem are drawing huge crowds and Metallica is dominating the world with the Big 4 Shows.

On a side note about Corey Taylor, I actually don't know many GNR fans that dont listen to either Slipknot or Stone Sour, except for a good majority of fans on this board.  It doesn't seem that newer bands get much of a chance on this board it seems 1994 is like the farthest some people here go as far as bands they listen to.  That is not an insult, just an observation.  Then again not much good has come out since 1994 until recently.  But I would say the last 5 years one of the greatest periods for hard rock music ever.

Well it's certainly all subjective, I'm definitely not trying to pass my opinions off as facts. I just don't see anyone out there today that could hold a candle to the bands of the 80's early nineties like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, STP, Mad Season, RHCP, Pantera, Primus, Ozzy's solo, Temple of the Dog, GNR in their prime, Metallica when they were good, Megadeth is still nasty, but Friedman era is tough to beat...

Nirvana, although great, I thought was one of the more overrated, but you gotta expect that when someone dies young. Sublime became the Beatles there for a while when Brad od'd.

It is entirely possible though that I am just an old fart set in my ways, haha.
Rock began to die in '94 in my view, with STP and Soundgarden making the last great big rock records in Tiny Music and Down on the Upside. Foo Fighters breathed new life for a while, then went a bit generic.
Still plenty of amazing music made since then, just not as much in the mainstream(in my opinion of course.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: