Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 06:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227949 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Is Slash the Worst Decision Maker in Rock History?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Slash the Worst Decision Maker in Rock History?  (Read 30796 times)
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »

. but you cant do anything about -except the moaning here-....why not move on?  Wink

isnt that one of the points of this board, to bitch and moan about things we can't control?  Have you actually read any posts in the GNR section on this board?  hihi

On a serious note, as long as Slash puts out good music, I look past a lot of things.  My main reason for starting this thread was because of HIM, we will not be getting a hard hitting record with Corey Taylor(a very diverse musician as evident by Slipknot, Stone Sour and other projects) who everyone else in VR is a huge fan of.  No, we will be getting 12-15 tracks similar to the 2 weakest ones on his solo album, right in his comfort zone.  To me that has the potential to be painfully boring, especially compared to what could have been, VR going in a heavier direction, which was the plan for the last 3 years.

I'm just as ticked about VR as you. And I was happy Corey was going to be the man. But there is no reason to imply that Slash does not want to leave his comfort zone. When he is constantly trying new things.  If he was interested in staying with his comfort zone Slash would have went with Corey and the comfort of a sure thing in VR. Instead he has gone for a situation were there is no guarantee of success. He will also have to work twice as hard to promote his new album than he would have getting a new VR album out.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:11:32 PM by sleeper » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »

Really? You seem to be making one for him saying he was there to promote his non-existent solo record. It's an excuse, not a valid reason for exactly why I've already stated - no product=nothing to promote.

Ali

I made no excuse I stated a fact. He promoted his solo on AI!

He was promoting a product that at the time didn't exist?   Roll Eyes  If you say so.  I'm sure that promotional appearance was fresh in consumers' minds a year later when the record actually came out  ok

Ali

It was fresh in my mind!

In mine too, bit NOT because of the AI appearance. It was because of the great choice for the lead single, mainly, as well as some of the press he was doing.

Ali

Slash announced in February that he and Myles will be doing an album together. He has been promoting it in interviews and on twitter. We already know that it is in pre production, who will be playing on it, how many songs they are working on, and recently was told it will be out in March or April of 2012. If Slash can find a venue to mention this album to 30 million people at one time he will do it. And he would have done it given the chance in March or April of this year.

I don't doubt he would have.  But, I see no comparison between making an announcement an album is pre-production to going on one of the highest rated shows in the US to make a "promotional" appearance.  An announcement is not a form of promotion, absent an at least somewhat defined product.

Ali
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »

If he was interested in staying with his comfort zone Slash would have went with Corey and the comfort of a sure thing in VR. Instead he has gone for a situation were there is no guarantee of success. He will also have to work twice as hard to promote his new album than he would have getting a new VR album out.

I see what your saying, but i feel the Myles thing is more in his comfort zone.  The pressure to put out a great record with Corey would have been huge.  Here with Myles he can just put out a typical "Slash Rock N Roll" record, some critics will dig it, some will want more, it will do ok and he will tour small venues and sell most of them out.    I'll be a first day buyer of the record as always and go to the local shows.  Same old shit, been there done that.  It really would have been cool to give rock n roll a shot in the arm, like VR did in 04.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »

Bodhi bro seriously, u have contradicted yourself a bunch in this thread.

First using Sebastian Bach of all people as a counter argument against Slash when the guy appeared on Rap and Country superstar reality shows.

Now, u are saying Slash LIVES in his comfort zone but yet bash him when he collaborates with different styles of musicians.

Also, ur attitude drives me absolutely insane.

Already saying an album that has yet to even be recorded sucks is just ridiculous. U can't say that. If u get the album and it sucks, then fine, come on here and bash the shit out of it,but hell it could be Appetite like for all u know.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »

Bodhi bro seriously, u have contradicted yourself a bunch in this thread.

First using Sebastian Bach of all people as a counter argument against Slash when the guy appeared on Rap and Country superstar reality shows.

Now, u are saying Slash LIVES in his comfort zone but yet bash him when he collaborates with different styles of musicians.

Also, ur attitude drives me absolutely insane.

Already saying an album that has yet to even be recorded sucks is just ridiculous. U can't say that. If u get the album and it sucks, then fine, come on here and bash the shit out of it,but hell it could be Appetite like for all u know.

you are twisting my words.  I said Sebastian Bach has been RECENTLY branding himself and doing a good job of it.  Im talking about as in the last few months in preparation for this new album.  I was using one example of him playing with a really good young metal band , not everything he has done in his entire career!

Slash "collaborating" with artists in different styles of musicians is a stretch.  He walks on stage and plays a GNR riff to some type of hip hop beat, how is that leaving his comfort zone?  Hes not playing a new style of music, he is playing the same riff in a different setting.   The only time ive heard him leave his comfort zone was on the song he did with M. Shadows, and it was the best song on the record in my opinion.  Even there he didn't really change his guitar tone to sound like a metal song like it was supposed to be, it kind of sounded like GNR Slash guesting on an Avenged song but without changing any of his effects or amp settings.   But still it was at least little different.

Also Im not saying the whole new record is going to suck, Im saying based off of what we heard him do with Myles, which was lackluster to say the least, I'm not super stoked about this album.  Its not like we haven't heard him play with Myles before, we have and it wasn't that good.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »

You're passing that off as a fact though. Some, myself included, enjoyed the Myles songs.
Ironically, I skip the M. Shadows track to get to Starlight. Nothing to Say isn't a bad song in my opinion, I thought it was interesting. Sounds more like Slash's take on Megadeth to me than it does a Avenged Sevenfold song. Either way, I don't feel the need to revisit it too often. Sounds sort of like an experiment that didn't totally work out. Overall, I skip Ghost, Beautiful Dangerous and Nothing to Say.

I will say that the most interesting part of Back to Cali is easily the music. Lyrics aren't exactly earth shattering. Myles does a good job of staying out of the way. Just a good straight ahead rock song. I think he sings great, and adds a lot to Starlight. The first time I heard it, I thought it sounded like he was reaching a bit, but I think it's a solid tune. I would still be very interested in hearing what Cornell could have done with it, rather than the more Audioslave sounding Promise, but can't win em all.

I would love to hear an album with a sound similar to AFD and Aerosmith Rocks. That's the kind of album I think of when Slash mentions "heavy". I don't think he was ever thinking Slipknot or Avenged Sevenfold heavy, because that's not his bag, and I frankly am not interested in hearing his take on that direction. And yes, I know Myles doesn't belong on the same internet as Axl and Tyler. I'm not expecting him to put his stamp on the album like they did. I'm more talking musically, and hope that Myles can hold his own, or not get in the way.
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

I liked "Back from Cali"...I thought Myles sang really well on that song.   I wasn't crazy about the song "Starlight" but I think the best part is easily the chorus, thanks to Myles.   I think this album with Myles could be much more of a solid rock album, but I'm not expecting it to be larger than life either.   And I agree with the others on here that are saying Myles doesn't have an ego and basically lets Slash be the star.   I also think Myles sounds better with Slash than with Alter Bridge...so it is the closest thing to having him in VR, which I wanted.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »

So would u say AC/DC sucks or live in their comfort zone?

I don't know whats wrong with that actually.

When people chase trends and try to be something they aren't, thats usually when they fall by the wayside. Slash is who he is, he isn't fake and i respect that even if i don't agree with all he does.

I thought the Super bowl and the Paradise City remake were absolutely atrocious BUT, I am not gonna hold it against him.

Big Props to Jarmo and the Mods for letting this thread stay alive. great debate/discussion here.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »

I thought the Super bowl and the Paradise City remake were absolutely atrocious BUT, I am not gonna hold it against him.

And what would you hold against him? What does he have to do for you to go "ok, that's it. Enough already!"?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »

well i hold it against him at the time but realize there is nobody on the planet, whether its my mom,brothers or friends i agree 100 percent on everything. his book made me go from blaming Axl for the breakup to now being Pro Axl and now thinking Slash has more of the blame for it.

so he has definitely lost some luster but not enough to erase all the greatness and influence he has had in my life.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »

hmm......

SLASH's Contribution To 'Phineas And Ferb The Movie': First Image Released - July 13, 2011

Legendary guitarist Slash (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER) recently wrote and performed the song "Kick It Up A Notch" for what his calls his "guilty pleasure," Disney Channel's original movie "Phineas And Ferb The Movie: Across The 2nd Dimension", which is scheduled to premiere on Friday, August 5 (8:00 p.m., ET/PT) on Disney Channel and Saturday, August 13 (8:00 p.m., ET/PT) on Disney XD. Slash will also appear in the animated video to launch the movie, which he describes as "very rock and roll, even for a cartoon."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:12:39 PM by Bodhi » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »

K

That totally hurts my argument hihi hihi hihi hihi

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2011, 06:37:38 AM »

I dunno... Slash has never made a secret of being a huge Disney fan.

I know if I was a famous musician, and a company like Pixar asked me to contribute to their next movie, I'd jump at the chance without worrying about a paycheck. Just because being a part of what will surely be something I will love would be too good to pass up.

There've been a lot of poor decisions made by Slash, true. But I don't think Phineas And Ferb is one... I wouldn't do that particular one, granted. But then I'm not nearly the fan of it that he is.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »

just checked this video "Kick It Up A Notch" / Disney Channel's original movie "Phineas And Ferb The Movie: Across The 2nd Dimension":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rF_lPMNa9jw

behind the scenes footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfqqawS6kc&feature=player_embedded

sceptical first, but i really like it! his guitar playing rocks in there, so does his animation. maybe he gets kids more into rock/hardrock/metal with this which i do support 100%! in the end he is in for entertaining and this is a good part of it!

Re-Union time, baby!!
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2011, 01:11:54 AM »

Can't say I'm into Phineas and Ferb - never watched them and not familiar with it, but that was kind of a cool and fun video. 

I've avoided this topic, for obvious reasons, but I don't think he's the worst decision maker in rock history.  I don't think that's a fair statement, at all.  Seems to me that he likes to keep himself busy with a variety of things and always has appeared with all kinds of different people.  He seems to keep an open mind about things, too.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  I don't think he's out to impress any of us here.  He chooses what he wants to do and does it.  Is it shameless self-promotion?  Can't answer for him, and so what if it were?  That's his business.  The decisions he's made certainly haven't hurt him any.   
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2011, 12:58:33 AM »

Can't say I'm into Phineas and Ferb - never watched them and not familiar with it, but that was kind of a cool and fun video. 

I've avoided this topic, for obvious reasons, but I don't think he's the worst decision maker in rock history.  I don't think that's a fair statement, at all.  Seems to me that he likes to keep himself busy with a variety of things and always has appeared with all kinds of different people.  He seems to keep an open mind about things, too.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  I don't think he's out to impress any of us here.  He chooses what he wants to do and does it.  Is it shameless self-promotion?  Can't answer for him, and so what if it were?  That's his business.  The decisions he's made certainly haven't hurt him any.   

of course hes not the WORST decision maker in rock, that is Steven Adler.  But this is a great thread to point out all the dumb shit he does, which was the purpose in the first place. 
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2011, 01:04:39 AM »

We all do dumb shit, though, don't we?  And based on your response, here, the answer to the topic question would be "no". 
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »

We all do dumb shit, though, don't we?  And based on your response, here, the answer to the topic question would be "no". 

I think you might be taking all of this too literally.  This thread was started for fans to vent about dumb or lame decisions Slash has been making in recent years, the Corey Taylor one is the one that finally pushed me over the edge.  This is a good thread to keep all of his shitty decisions in one place, as opposed to multiple threads... With that in mind....

SLASH Records Track With MARY J. BLIGE - Aug. 11, 2011
Legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, ex-GUNS N' ROSES), who is currently working on material for his forthcoming, second solo album, "just finished a session with Mike Clink engineering on a track with [R&B singer] Mary J. Blige," according to a posting on the guitarist's Facebook page. Slash adds, "Sounds killer!"

It is not presently clear where Slash's collaboration with Mary J. Blige will end up.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:10:21 PM by Bodhi » Logged
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »

Moreblack posted this on another forum today;

Gibson took the time to acknowledge the work the guy has done outside of his main projects and it's quite the impressive list.
 http://www.gibson.co...lash-0726-2011/

Gun for Hire: Slash?s Career as an All-Star Sideman
 Michael Leonard

Slash has been the guitar star for Guns N? Roses, Snakepit, Velvet Revolver and, currently, his own ?solo? band. But Slash also has played sessions that would make many guitarists-for-hire weep. Sure, the fame of his name got him many gigs, but Slash?s session story is a whole world in itself: 2004 and 2007 are the only years since 1988 when Slash hasn?t guested on at least one other artist?s recordings.

From rock to metal, from blues to R&B, from hip-hop to pop, Slash?s Gibson Les Pauls have been places you wouldn?t necessarily know. And not on other songs you thought he was on.

Here?s a selected rundown of recordings where artists have decided the missing ingredient is Mr. Saul Hudson.

With Alice Cooper?

Guns had only just hit big when Slash made his first guest apperance in 1988?s The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years, appearing on ?Under My Wheels? by Alice Cooper. Slash later spilled some insane guitar wailing on Cooper?s ?Vengeance is Mine.? He also played on Cooper?s ?Hey Stoopid? and on the live album, A Fistful of Alice.

With Michael Jackson?

The King of Pop and Slash were unlikely friends. After Jackson?s death, Slash even described himself and MJ as ?very similar people, it was always all about the music.? That said, Slash also was at pains to clarify what he did and did not contribute to Jackson hits. Speaking to CNN in 2010, Slash said of a popular misconception: ?I never played on ?Black or White.? I played on ?Give in to Me? [also from Jackson?s Dangerous album] and in the ?Black and White? video, when Macaulay Culkin was trashing around, that?s me playing.? ?Black or White??s recorded guitars are played by co-writer Bill Botrell and the solo by L.A. session player Tim Pierce.

But Slash did famously play with MJ on a medley at the MTV Video Music Awards in 1995. Slash also played on that year?s ?They Don?t Care About Us? and ?D.S.? and ?Morphine? (from the 1997 remix album Blood on the Dancefloor.)

With Lenny Kravitz?

Slash was a key ingredient on Kravitz?s sophomore album of 1991, Mama Said. The music for ?Always on the Run? was written by Slash for Guns N' Roses? Use Your Illusion albums but Guns? then-drummer Steven Adler apparently had difficulty playing it. So, Slash kept the tune on stand-by until he hooked-up with Kravitz.

?Working with Lenny was great, and if the opportunity again presented itself, we could come up with some more great music,? Slash revealed on his own www.snakepit.org site. Slash also played on Mama Said?s ?Fields of Joy.?

Kravitz and Slash attended the same school years before. ?I knew [Slash] from the hallway, just like, ?Hey, what?s up, man??? Kravitz told Details. ?We didn't meet again until the American Music Awards in 1990. He came up to me and told me that Guns N' Roses were big fans of Let Love Rule. In fact, Axl had a button on his leather jacket that said LET LOVE RULE. We started talking, and I realized he was that kid named Saul from high school.?

With Gilby Clarke?

Clarke?s 1994 solo album featured not only Slash, but Axl Rose, Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan. All starred on different Clarke tracks which may say something about the internal relationships of Guns at the time. Slash plays on two of Pawnshop Guitars strongest tracks, ?Cure Me? or Kill Me...? and ?Tijuana Jail.? Clarke, of course, then ended up playing in Slash?s band Snakepit, contributing ?Monkey Chow? to the band?s album It?s Five O?Clock Somewhere.

With Iggy Pop?

Slash and Iggy go way back. In fact, Slash?s mother once dated David Bowie, via whom the young Saul Hudson got to know the older Jim Osterberg. ?Home,? on Iggy?s 1990 album Brick by Brick album, is the main notable collaboration, with Slash?s guitar work lifting a rather perfunctory song. Iggy eventually returned the favor, singing on Slash?s ?We?re All Gonna Die? on his 2010 solo debut album.

With TLC, Eazy-E, Insane Clown Posse and the Bee Gees

The early-to-mid-?90s may have found Slash bored. He dropped-in celeb solos and licks for TLC (?Red Light Special?), Eazy E (?Luv 4 Dem Gangsta?z?), Insane Clown Posse (?Halls of Illusions?) and even The Bee Gees (?Size Isn?t Everything?).

With Chic?

This was only a live Japanese date in 1999, but it?s a bizarre union nonetheless. The disco legends already boast one of the world?s greatest funk guitarists in production/writing mastermind Nile Rodgers, but Slash was called upon anyway.

With The Yardbirds?

The British blues rave-up band of the 1960s boasted Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck in their lineup at various times so when it came to a reunion album, they wanted stellar players. Slash, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Johnny Rzeznik, Jeff ?Skunk? Baxter and Brian May all were guests on 2003?s Birdland album.

With other ex-Gunners?

Slash and Gilby Clarke (see above) worked together plenty, but Slash also found time to play on GN?R bassist Duff McKagan?s albums Believe in Me (1993, on the title track and ?Just Not There?) and Beautiful Disease (1999, on the tracks ?Hope? and ?Mezz.?) Izzy Stradlin also played on Beautiful Disease. Most of these tracks are throwbacks to Guns? punk-metal beginnings and could have been great Guns material except they don?t feature Axl Rose.

Slash also played on Matt Sorum?s 2003 Hollywood Zen album (on ?The Blame Game.?)

With everyone else?!

Proving he?s never one to turn down an invitation, Slash has also guested with Ray Charles, Edgar Winter, Eric Clapton, Cheap Trick, Sammy Hagar, Mot?rhead, Bob Dylan, Blackstreet, The Rolling Stones? Ronnie Wood, Daughtry and on various movie/video game soundtracks.

The strange fact is Slash has recorded/appeared live on nearly 80 tracks by other artists, more than he recorded for the first five Guns N? Roses albums, even including Lies. Slash will next guest on Unusual Suspects, the September release from Mountain guitarist Leslie West.

We guess that if Slash never does find another permanent singer, a singer will always find him.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2011, 04:49:54 AM »

Who honestly gives a shit about a guitar player playing some guitar for various artists? 
Im a fan of Slash's music/projects.... couldnt give a shit what he does outside of that.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: