Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 05:07:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227871 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The 'end' of the CD format
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'end' of the CD format  (Read 4232 times)
Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« on: October 31, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »

Major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012

Not sure how credible this story is. What would you say if it were true?:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/63967833.html#ixzz1cOHn3luD

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »

That would suck. I wouldnt be inclined to pay for downloads. Meaning id only download illegally. I do buy CDs

html sucks
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »

I think this is such a shame if true. What happened to the joy of getting a physical CD, with a case and artwork?. How can an MP3, which you can listen to on your computer compare?. Doesn't make sense.....

The only thing I download from the internet is maybe bootlegs, or the odd song that's a different version to the released one etc. I would never start downloading full CD's rather than going to my local store to pick up the CD. I have all of my GN'R CD's and DVD's (all official and some bootlegs) in my cupboard, and I'm happy with that. I can look through the artwork and think about old memories of how much this record means to me and still does. I don't get the same thing from an MP3 or a track stored on my computer.

The worlds gone mad.  Tongue
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »

Personally, I much prefer being able to buy a new album on iTunes on Monday night, as opposed to waiting until Tuesday, driving down to the store, hoping it is in stock, and paying double to cost for the "Cd booklets, case, product."   People can just download illegally if they want, but I think you are not a true fan unless you buy the music.  Otherwise, you are just a poser.  I mostly just listen to my iPod and I can still burn them to CDs if I want. 
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »

Not bought 1 complete album digitally.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »

I buy a lot of albums digitally, but that is usually because a hard copy is not in stock at a store.  I prefer to buy the album then import it to itunes and put the cd away and keep it for a back up.  The cd format is done, and has been for years.  I prefer the cd, with the artwork I always will, but I am also fucking old( im 30) compared to alot of music buyers.  Kids today can not grasp the concept of buying a cd when you can download it for free or on itunes.  They just don't get it, it makes no sense to them.  I can't blame them, we are living in an on demand world, if I were them, driving to a store to buy something that I can get in 5 seconds on the computer wouldn't make sense either.

The only problem I have with this digital move is that it devalues the concept of an "album."  The artwork, the track listing, the set of songs , its all one package and I feel it is a beautiful piece of art that  we will be losing.  Now everyone just takes the songs they like and puts them in a playlist on shuffle. 

A lot of time was put into sequencing an album, and coming up with the right track order, that is now going to be gone for the most part.

I like the fact that I know that "Don't Cry" BELONGS on Use Your Illusion 1 between "Live and Let Die" and "Perfect Crime"! And nothing comes before "Right Next Door to Hell" and nothing comes after "Coma."  It makes sense!  Thats the way it works!!  The future is going to be nothing but anarchy I tell ya...anarchy! 
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:09:28 AM »

Although it's been coming for years, it is truly sad if this is true.
I'm a collector, and to me the art is very much part of the whole package of an album.
A digital file is cold and lifeless, and the quality of mp3 files still sucks compared to physical CDs.

I own a Mac and use iTunes to copy my CDs to my portable devices, the same as I did with tapes with a Walkman, and then CDs with my Discman.
Otherwise, I hate mp3 sound quality and would never download an album as my preferred method.

The thing is, record companies shot themselves in the foot when the CD market opened up to begin with.
Brand new CDs were $30 each (which is fucking crazy!) and most people, myself included, bought them simply to update/replace our tape or record collections. Over the years, after that initial burst of sales, people were less inclined to spend $30 on a new CD, especially with the quality of music getting worse in some cases.
Which left the CD stores stuck with no other choice but to lower their prices to get back in the market, and causing many small businesses to close because of this.

If CDs started at around $10 to begin with, over time, the increase in price to around $15-$20 would be much more reasonable, and could probably have kept the music business alive, at least CD sales anyway.

Just my two cents.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 06:12:54 AM »

The only problem I have with this digital move is that it devalues the concept of an "album."  The artwork, the track listing, the set of songs , its all one package and I feel it is a beautiful piece of art that  we will be losing.  Now everyone just takes the songs they like and puts them in a playlist on shuffle. 

A lot of time was put into sequencing an album, and coming up with the right track order, that is now going to be gone for the most part.

I like the fact that I know that "Don't Cry" BELONGS on Use Your Illusion 1 between "Live and Let Die" and "Perfect Crime"! And nothing comes before "Right Next Door to Hell" and nothing comes after "Coma."  It makes sense!  Thats the way it works!!  The future is going to be nothing but anarchy I tell ya...anarchy! 

Yep, I agree with everything said here! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 06:48:08 AM »

Kids today can not grasp the concept of buying a cd when you can download it for free or on itunes.  They just don't get it, it makes no sense to them.  I can't blame them, we are living in an on demand world, if I were them, driving to a store to buy something that I can get in 5 seconds on the computer wouldn't make sense either.

There is also the option of ordering CDs through sites like Amazon, which is where I get the majority of my CDs from now. You still have to wait (even longer than if you went to a shop) but you don't have to do anything other than click a few links. I'd like to think some of 'the kids' would think of that, but I don't know if they do... Undecided

It'll be sad if this is true, but I still have hope. If they are indeed getting rid of CDs, I'd better hurry and get all the albums I still have on my 'to buy' list before they become obsolete!

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:37:41 AM »

Pretty sad if it happens.... they should just make up another format to sell music. Cd's have been here for a long time.

They could make smaller discs or higher quality discs, it's possible... and it would sell again

Oh My God i cant deny this...
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »

im sixteen and ive never bought music from the internet (amason/itunes whatever) i allways get my music from a store .
i have more cd?s than i can count (actualy i know just a couple of people who have more stuff than i)

i do download bootlegs, and rare stuff like b-sides to old singles if i dont find them in real life.

i call dont call myself a collector but averyone else does...

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »

if this happens im going to start downloadin free stuff, and i invite everybody to do the same

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
dogrose tina
Opening Act

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »

I think this is such a shame if true. What happened to the joy of getting a physical CD, with a case and artwork?. How can an MP3, which you can listen to on your computer compare?. Doesn't make sense.....

The only thing I download from the internet is maybe bootlegs, or the odd song that's a different version to the released one etc. I would never start downloading full CD's rather than going to my local store to pick up the CD. I have all of my GN'R CD's and DVD's (all official and some bootlegs) in my cupboard, and I'm happy with that. I can look through the artwork and think about old memories of how much this record means to me and still does. I don't get the same thing from an MP3 or a track stored on my computer.

The worlds gone mad.  Tongue

The world went mad went they introduced CDs INSTEAD of vinyls. Artwork? on a CD? I buy vinyls if available. The ritual of turning over to the B.side... And I like the opportunity of Downloads. In many cases I just like one or two songs of an album, so I can buy them without having to buy the whole album. In addition, I wrecked a couple of CDs in my car. If I have a download I can write the same CD over and over again.
But I think, it's nonsense to completely abolish CDs. A couple of people like them and music with high dynamics (e.g. Classical music, Jean Michel Jarre, some Pink Floyd...) sound better on CD. Neither vinyl nor mp3 has those dynamics.
overmatik
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »

Well, I  buy mostly catalog CDs, so as long as there is still availability for those is OK to me. I've bought like 5 CDs released this year so far...
TempletonPeck
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:46:28 PM »

*sheds a single, manly tear*
My friend and I are routine visitors to HMV, and every time we go we bitch about the state of CDs and the music community in general.  Future Shop and Best Buy have already decimated their CD collections, and most music stores have closed around our area.
It truly is the end of an era.  As life evolves, the past must be left behind.  Still...there's enough out there that I don't own to keep me comfortable for a lifetime at the very least.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: