Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:32:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2013 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 179643 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #780 on: December 09, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »

LaRussa, Cox and Torre to The Hall:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Retired managers Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox have been unanimously elected to the baseball Hall of Fame by the expansion era committee.

Each of the inductees won more than 2,000 games in managerial careers that spanned more than four decades. Torre became the fifth manager to win at least four World Series titles. La Russa won championships with Oakland and St. Louis. Cox led Atlanta to one championship and 14 straight division titles

All well deserved. They all belong there. It makes me so happy to finally see Torre where he belongs.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #781 on: December 09, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »

Robbie was batting second in a lineup decimated by injuries. Ideally, he would have batted 5th (behind Jeter, Granderson, Tex and Arod). But every one of those guys was on the shelf.

Blaming girardi for that is nuts. And complaining about it is, likewise, nuts.

Batting you 4th or 5th behind guys who can't hit isn't going to garner you more RBI. Because, you know, they are not going to be on base to drive them in.

Bit, look, there have always been complaints about Robbie's lack of hustle, and his questionable work ethic.  These comments don't surprise me...and don't really change anything in my assessment of him. Supremely talented, hof caliber player who is not up to being the face of the team, and not worth 10 years of ridiculous money at this point in his career.

Completely agree.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #782 on: December 09, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »

Reports are coming in that Roy Halladay is going retire today, at age 36.  He's going to sign a one day contract with Toronto in order to retire as a Blue Jay.

Presser should be coming soon...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10108609/roy-halladay-retiring-monday-toronto-blue-jay

Didn't see this one coming. Future HOF'r? I think so.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #783 on: December 09, 2013, 05:19:54 PM »

Reports are coming in that Roy Halladay is going retire today, at age 36.  He's going to sign a one day contract with Toronto in order to retire as a Blue Jay.

Presser should be coming soon...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10108609/roy-halladay-retiring-monday-toronto-blue-jay

Didn't see this one coming. Future HOF'r? I think so.

I think he's borderline.

Maybe on down the road, definitely someone who may gain steam as the years go by.

Nice to see he and Chris Carpenter go out at the same time, 2 nasty mofo's.

Clemens, Hentgen, Wells, Carpenter and Halladay on that staff in Toronto - not bad. Smiley

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #784 on: December 09, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Retired managers Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox have been unanimously elected to the baseball Hall of Fame by the expansion era committee.

Each of the inductees won more than 2,000 games in managerial careers that spanned more than four decades. Torre became the fifth manager to win at least four World Series titles. La Russa won championships with Oakland and St. Louis. Cox led Atlanta to one championship and 14 straight division titles

It makes me so happy to finally see Torre where he belongs.

St. Louis is pretty gaga over this as well, he was an absolutely great player for them and managed them during a time of organizational transition.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #785 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »

St. Louis is pretty gaga over this as well, he was an absolutely great player for them and managed them during a time of organizational transition.

As they should be, what he did in his last few years as their manager was great. As for Torre, i hope New Yorkers are just as ecstatic. 4 titles in his first 5 years. 6 World Series appearances in his first 8 years. He helped make the Yankees relevant again and that should be celebrated. Now i think is the time to retire his number now that he is a HOF'R.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #786 on: December 09, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »

As they should be, what he did in his last few years as their manager was great. As for Torre, i hope New Yorkers are just as ecstatic. 4 titles in his first 5 years. 6 World Series appearances in his first 8 years. He helped make the Yankees relevant again and that should be celebrated. Now i think is the time to retire his number now that he is a HOF'R.

I hope NY'ers finally embrace Torre as well, his run of success there was phenomenal.

He (and TLR of course) did the rounds around STL media today, such a cool guy.

He was a helluva player for them, his 1971 MVP season was incredible.

It'll be cool to see Torre, TLR and the rest of the living Cards HOF'ers on opening day rocking the red blazers and reveling in the festivities.

As a sidebar, watching TLR and Ozzie Smith stand amongst the HOF'ers at Busch should make for good theatre as well, those 2 absolutely despise one another.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #787 on: December 09, 2013, 07:06:22 PM »

I hope NY'ers finally embrace Torre as well, his run of success there was phenomenal.

It'll be cool to see Torre, TLR and the rest of the living Cards HOF'ers on opening day rocking the red blazers and reveling in the festivities.

As a sidebar, watching TLR and Ozzie Smith stand amongst the HOF'ers at Busch should make for good theatre as well, those 2 absolutely despise one another.

I love Joe. And I think a lot of Yanks fans still do.

BUT, if there is any ill will...Torre brought it n himself. Writing an unflattering tell all ghost written by a hack...and then proclaiming he didn't know what had been written by sed ghost writer in his name...was not the taste he should have left in yanks fans mouth.

Fans generally took his side in the whole blowup with hank, Hal, and Cashman.  But the blowback from the book....I think people finally got over it. But it took some time.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #788 on: December 09, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »

I love Joe. And I think a lot of Yanks fans still do.

BUT, if there is any ill will...Torre brought it n himself. Writing an unflattering tell all ghost written by a hack...and then proclaiming he didn't know what had been written by sed ghost writer in his name...was not the taste he should have left in yanks fans mouth.

Fans generally took his side in the whole blowup with hank, Hal, and Cashman.  But the blowback from the book....I think people finally got over it. But it took some time.
The book definitely wasn't his best idea but the man deserves all the praise in the world for what he did for the franchise during his run as manager. I know he and Cashman have talked it out and settled it. I'm not sure how Hal and Hank still feel towards him though. Just based on what he accomplished though as Yankee manager he absolutely deserves to have his number retired in monument park. Does he deserve a monument? That's probably debatable but certainly a plaque and his number retired. If there is still any ill will preventing it from happening it needs to be resolved, so that this great man gets the day he deserves so that the fans can say thank you for all he did before he passes and its too late.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:47:16 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #789 on: December 09, 2013, 07:45:41 PM »

That should be very interesting. Hope you can get to see that in person.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #790 on: December 09, 2013, 07:54:34 PM »

Oh man, I hope I do as well.

I've been to one opening day in STL and it's a really cool, unique experience.

HOF'ers, players riding in in convertibles and most important - Clydesdale's!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:49:53 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #791 on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »

HOF'ers, players riding in in convertibles and most importlant - Clydesdale's!

Well hopefully this one will be your second.

Now i just hope the Yankees do the right thing and honor Torre in that same way as St. Louis plans to sometime this season. Especially because you know he's going in wearing a Yankee cap.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #792 on: December 09, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »

So with Halladay retiring today. The HOF class in 5 years will be this. Rivera, Pettitte, Halladay and Helton. Rivera is clearly the only one that is a shoe in in that class.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #793 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »

Now i just hope the Yankees do the right thing and honor Torre in that same way as St. Louis plans to sometime this season. Especially because you know he's going in wearing a Yankee cap.

His induction is mainly based on his Yankee managerial tenure so they'll surely roll out the red carpet and honor him accordingly, it would be a shame if any animosity lingered and got in the way.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #794 on: December 09, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »

His induction is mainly based on his Yankee managerial tenure so they'll surely roll out the red carpet and honor him accordingly, it would be a shame if any animosity lingered and got in the way.

Agreed, not doing so would just be wrong.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #795 on: December 11, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »

Question on free agent draft pick compensation --- say a team signs a free agent and, as a result, forfeits its first round draft pick to the free agent's prior team... what happens if the team signs a 2nd free agent?  What compensation does the prior team of the 2nd free agent get?

For this purpose, I'm assuming (1) both free agents are Type A players, (2) who received qualifying offers from their prior teams and (3) the signing team is not a bottom 10 team with 1st round protection. 

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #796 on: December 11, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

I suppose they could call Cincy and see if the Reds would do Gardner for Phillips straight up, they're gonna need a CF with Choo likely on the move.

Phillips has a horrific contract and is in definite offensive decline, still slick around the bag though.

He's a bit of a jackass as well, not sure how his act would play in a clubhouse that's taking on a lot of new personalities.

Wink

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/the-yankees-turned-down-a-brett-gardner-for-brandon-phillips-deal/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #797 on: December 12, 2013, 12:18:24 AM »

I suppose they could call Cincy and see if the Reds would do Gardner for Phillips straight up, they're gonna need a CF with Choo likely on the move.

Phillips has a horrific contract and is in definite offensive decline, still slick around the bag though.

He's a bit of a jackass as well, not sure how his act would play in a clubhouse that's taking on a lot of new personalities.

Wink

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/the-yankees-turned-down-a-brett-gardner-for-brandon-phillips-deal/

I was just coming here to post that. I still think they're ope to trading him for the right player.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #798 on: December 12, 2013, 12:22:57 AM »

What's everyone's thoughts on banning collisions at the plate? I understand what they're trying to do but not allowing the catcher to block the plate seriously undermines his ability to get the runner out. Not to mention, it could result in other injuries to the arm. If you can't stand in front of the plate or just in front of it you're going to have catchers sticking their arms out in harms way with guys barreling down at full speed.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #799 on: December 12, 2013, 12:38:42 AM »

What's everyone's thoughts on banning collisions at the plate? I understand what they're trying to do but not allowing the catcher to block the plate seriously undermines his ability to get the runner out. Not to mention, it could result in other injuries to the arm. If you can't stand in front of the plate or just in front of it you're going to have catchers sticking their arms out in harms way with guys barreling down at full speed.

I'm not sure, they're going to have to define the parameters of the rule before I give my 2 cents.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: